The Official Boxing Thread

Magic J

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Bit of a dissapointing night of Boxing in terms of competitiveness TBH.

Froch was a class apart. Mack was out of his depth but to be fair that body shot was sickening and would have taken out any of the best fighters in the world. People who read this thread know my admiration for Froch more than any current British Boxer and is rightly labelled as a truely World-Class operator.

Contracted to fight Bute next although if I was Bute with the battering i took last time round and his unimpressive performance in his comeback fight I might think twice about it. Apart from that it has to be Kessler/Ward there is really is little else out there for froch now. Get them over to Nottingham and what a night that would be!!

Bellew done what he needed to do, especially considering the cut. It wernt pretty but it keeps the momentum going. TBH I see him as short of world-class and he aint been that impressive lately but he keeps winning and that is the main thing.

Bit of a dissapointing night of Boxing in terms of competitiveness TBH.

Froch was a class apart. Mack was out of his depth but to be fair that body shot was sickening and would have taken out any of the best fighters in the world. People who read this thread know my admiration for Froch more than any current British Boxer and is rightly labelled as a truely World-Class operator.

Contracted to fight Bute next although if I was Bute with the battering i took last time round and his unimpressive performance in his comeback fight I might think twice about it. Apart from that it has to be Kessler/Ward there is really is little else out there for froch now. Get them over to Nottingham and what a night that would be!!

Bellew done what he needed to do' date=' especially considering the cut. It wernt pretty but it keeps the momentum going. TBH I see him as short of world-class and he aint been that impressive lately but he keeps winning and that is the main thing.[/quote']

The problem for Froch now is what does he do next? He's better than everyone else in the division except for Ward who will easily beat him again. I think fighting Bute again will be a decent fight. Bute's a better boxer than he has looked of late.

Good to see Bellew progressing nicely as well. Nasty cut though. Like you say Ray i don't quite see him as the top of his division any time in the future but i think he'll have some decent fights in the next few years and who knows.

The problem for Froch now is what does he do next? He's better than everyone else in the division except for Ward who will easily beat him again. I think fighting Bute again will be a decent fight. Bute's a better boxer than he has looked of late.

Good to see Bellew progressing nicely as well. Nasty cut though. Like you say Ray i don't quite see him as the top of his division any time in the future but i think he'll have some decent fights in the next few years and who knows.

Agree to the extent that bar having to fight Bute, there really is only Kessler and Ward of any interest. I truely believe he can beat Kessler and against Ward he would clearly have to be the underdog and I would expect Ward to win but I think it would be closer as he would have learnt plenty last time round and if it was in Nottingham as well it would be even better. :)

Agree on bellew, just dont see him as a world-level fighter, just not got enough about him for me and leaves his chin out to much for my liking, would get exposed agianst the top level fighters IMO. Certainly good enough for European etc but that next step may be a tad to far.

Anybody else bought the boxing tonight??

My missus is having kittens she loves Hatton and having had the pleasure of meeting him, he really is a top class bloke. He didnt have to give us time but he sat and spoke to us for about ten minutes and was a class act.

I am genuinly worried though, after the way he has abused his body you have to have doubts. All the training in the world will never tell you until you jump through the ropes.

If he is anything like 50% of the old Ricky Hatton he should take care of Senchenko with ease, Senchenko is nothing special I saw him fight Malignaggi and he was very unimpressive.

By the way does anybody know who is on the undercard??

Anybody else bought the boxing tonight??

My missus is having kittens she loves Hatton and having had the pleasure of meeting him' date=' he really is a top class bloke. He didnt have to give us time but he sat and spoke to us for about ten minutes and was a class act.

I am genuinly worried though, after the way he has abused his body you have to have doubts. All the training in the world will never tell you until you jump through the ropes.

If he is anything like 50% of the old Ricky Hatton he should take care of Senchenko with ease, Senchenko is nothing special I saw him fight Malignaggi and he was very unimpressive.

By the way does anybody know who is on the undercard??[/quote']

I was the same. I was so against him coming back but he actually looks in even better shape than he used to be!

This is how i see the fight going... Senchenko is your typical slow, but tough Eastern European boxer. I see him standing there being used as a punching bag for the Hitman for 12 rounds (or around 9 rounds until the ref steps in).

That prediction is based purely on a fit and well Ricky turning up though. If he's not in shape, it could be a painful watch.

I'm not 100% sure about the undercard but Scott Quigg is fighting Rendall Munroe tonight so i presume that is on the card?

I had a feeling Hatton would lose, he's done too much damage to his body and he's been out of the ring for too long.

He lasted 9 rounds infairness to him and he bows of out of the ring (again) with my utmost regard anyway. A top bloke and a legend in the four sided ring. His post match interview was gut wrenching and it shows how passionate he is.

He was in great shape too, he had really gone to (insert) since he originally retired. Hopefully it's made him realise he needs to take better care of himself in retirement.

Always had a bad feeling about this (despite me trying to be positive with my prediction). You cannot drop that much weight the way he has and still get away with it.

Although, the body was what cost him last night, i don't think that was the real problem though - He was just swinging like a maniac. He put it down to ring rust but he was just swinging and hoping and missing wildly and those kinds of missed shots do really take a toll on you and you could see that, he looked knackered after 5 rounds, and the longer it went on, i thought he might get caught.

That said, i still felt devastated for the bloke when he was crying at the end. He was truly distraught and i just hope he's got the right people around him now because he came back to exorcise his inner demons over the two losses and unfortunately he just made those demons stronger now.

Well it was a shame about Hatton but a somewhat predictable end as I suggested with my doubts pre-fight you just always had to factor in these doubts.

He won the first four rounds in my eyes not through any real quality boxing but through work-rate. However the timing was so far out and his head movement was so poor it was only a matter of time before he started getting picked off as his engine gave way.

The simple fact is that you cant abuse your body in the way Hatton did and expect to be able to lose 4.5 stone with dramatic weight loss, the years of alcohol/drug abuse and 3 and a half years of activity and hope to be anything like you were before, it is simply impossible.

It was a sad end and I felt genuinly choked for the guy, he has provided British boxing with so many great moments and I highly doubt we will see many with a fan base like his again. But the reality is he aint got it and was never likely to, I just hope he can find some inner peace and move on with life without relapsing he has so many other avenues to go with his family, boxing stable, promoting, coaching etc.

Should also mention how impressed I was with Scott Quigg. Munroe is a very very decent fighter but Quigg took care of him with ease. His shot selection is fantastic he dont waste punches and is cold and clinical. Really took himself to a new level and hopefully we now get the fight with Carl Frampton to decide the best in Britain and what a fight that would be, pretty sure a world title shot would be on the agenda for the winner. I am super excited about the prospect of that fight could be an absolute cracker.

Flintoff and Price tomorrow night, take the missus out for dinner and get hime in time for us to watch the boxing, it will be interesting to watch that is for sure with Flintoff! Think Price will take care of Skelton with relative ease.

Freddie looks like he's slapping rather than punching him. And the other lad looks like a big lump of.

EDIT: He jumps in' date=' he will get caught a few times I reckon.[/quote']

how does Freddie look? I mean I know he is in great shape and shed a lot of weight, but I was not prepared to pay for it on Box nation and the few streams I have tried have either not worked or were glitchy and freezing.

how does Freddie look? I mean I know he is in great shape and shed a lot of weight' date=' but I was not prepared to pay for it on Box nation and the few streams I have tried have either not worked or were glitchy and freezing.[/quote']

last round now. Went down in the second. But pretty even so far, one of the sloppiest fights ever tho.

Edit: They've been hugging for the whole fight, let's see what happens. Think Freddie just edged it.

Edit 2: Yep, he won it. That Dawson lad is a very poor boxer tho.

Flintoff's won by 1 point. Like TheMar AFc said' date=' it was one of the sloppiest fights ever.[/quote']

What did you expect something to rival Ali V Frazier :P

It was always going to be somthing of a freak show, two of the worst boxers ever to set foot in a ring and will not exactly be looked at as one of the fights of the year.

Flintoff actually had a half decent jab, but his right hand was like a girlies slap at all times, where as dawson obviously stopped off for his 14th helping of fried chicken on his way to the fight, so out of shape it was untrue.

It has been a bit of fun and I am glad for Freddie but let the nonsense stop here, take the memories with you Freddie and enjoy, if he went in even with a half decent semi-pro he would get knocked out I think that is without question. A good bit of fun, but i dont see a true "professional" career beckoning :P