Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Don't worry Ray' date=' I've put my goat back in it's cage. :P

If everyone expressed their opinion like yourself we wouldn't have a problem.

I guess i am spoiled on these threads and other forums were I receive insightful posts from [b']boxing [/b] fans.

As a result of that there is an electrical current that flows through my brain and down to my typing fingers when I hear excellent incite such as 'He would knock him out easily'.

You cant say people are not boxing fans just because they don't post how you wish them to, you also shouldn't critisize people for not posting as well as yourself or Ray, there may be many reasons behind why people don't post as well as yourself and it isn't just because they don't know anything about boxing, that's a very poor assumption based on no facts what so ever, like me for example you wouldn't have a clue how many years I've been watching boxing or how many fights ive seen :)

Anyways :P

I think you took my original post totally wrong, I'm NOT a Froch fan, not at all I'm just a fan of watching boxing, I'm also a member of a boxing club and do some boxing myself :)

http://www.grimsbyboxingacademy.co.uk/

The above doesnt mean anything and I'm no boxing pro but I do know enough to post my own opinions on it ;) and not just someone who has seen a big fight.

All I said is I felt sorry for Froch and not Groves because in my opinion Froch was going to finish Groves off, and for me I thought that was pretty clear to see based on Groves legs and face and the pressure he was under.

I also said the ref DID stop it early, IE Groves did deserve the chance to see if he could carry on, the guy was winning the fight and I'm sure he would rather have been knocked out, Groves was amazing from round round 1 and deserves all the credit coming his way.

The reason I felt sorry for Froch and not him was due to the things and have clearly happened since, people for some reason are blaming Froch and calling him all sorts of names, what has he done wrong?

Groves might have been amazing but to come back like Froch did and pull the fight back to his side was nothing short of amazing and he deserves as much credit as Groves for that.

For me Froch was going to win, I DO think he would have finished the fight with a KO and for that reason the ref jumping in has ruined it for him.

I'm not an idiot and I know it may well not have happened, but I can only post my own thoughts on a forum and that IMO is what would have happened.

Groves is as bad as Froch out of the ring btw, the guy is already saying Froch wont dare fight him again etc, it's pretty poor considering Froch does have the record behind him to suggest otherwise.

Oh wow. That really is a horrendous stoppage.

There is a difference between the two moments though. When Groves drops Froch in the first round, Froch's legs are gone but his guard is still up and there's only 10 seconds left when he gets to his feet. If it had of gone on longer, i dare say the referee would have stopped it after the follow up barrage of punches. When Groves gets stopped, he's rocking all over the place and he's in the middle of the round.

Groves should have been so far ahead though going into the ninth round. He was confident, he was landing cleanly on the counter and Froch looked lost. Froch looked like a shadow of himself and he genuinely looked scared and nervous - Very odd, but those interviews where he looked scared now seem more genuine.

The best punches Froch landed up until the 9th round were illegal shots :o.

Froch arguably should have had a point taken off him in the 8th as well.

He started to rough Groves up in the 7th and 8th round and Groves was starting to tire but with so much on the line, you cannot stop that fight until you're 100% sure that Groves is in no state to continue. There's ever chance that Froch would have put Groves down if the referee had allowed it to continue, but unfortunately we'll never know now.

You cant say people are not boxing fans just because they don't post how you wish them to' date=' you also shouldn't critisize people for not posting as well as yourself or Ray, there may be many reasons behind why people don't post as well as yourself and it isn't just because they don't know anything about boxing, that's a very poor assumption based on no facts what so ever, like me for example you wouldn't have a clue how many years I've been watching boxing or how many fights ive seen :)

Anyways :P

I think you took my original post totally wrong, I'm NOT a Froch fan, not at all I'm just a fan of watching boxing, I'm also a member of a boxing club and do some boxing myself :)

[url']http://www.grimsbyboxingacademy.co.uk/[/url]

The above doesnt mean anything and I'm no boxing pro but I do know enough to post my own opinions on it ;) and not just someone who has seen a big fight.

All I said is I felt sorry for Froch and not Groves because in my opinion Froch was going to finish Groves off, and for me I thought that was pretty clear to see based on Groves legs and face and the pressure he was under.

I also said the ref DID stop it early, IE Groves did deserve the chance to see if he could carry on, the guy was winning the fight and I'm sure he would rather have been knocked out, Groves was amazing from round round 1 and deserves all the credit coming his way.

The reason I felt sorry for Froch and not him was due to the things and have clearly happened since, people for some reason are blaming Froch and calling him all sorts of names, what has he done wrong?

Groves might have been amazing but to come back like Froch did and pull the fight back to his side was nothing short of amazing and he deserves as much credit as Groves for that.

For me Froch was going to win, I DO think he would have finished the fight with a KO and for that reason the ref jumping in has ruined it for him.

I'm not an idiot and I know it may well not have happened, but I can only post my own thoughts on a forum and that IMO is what would have happened.

Groves is as bad as Froch out of the ring btw, the guy is already saying Froch wont dare fight him again etc, it's pretty poor considering Froch does have the record behind him to suggest otherwise.

I actually agree with you about the Froch thing. The amazing resilience he showed is being overlooked because of the stoppage. He doesn't have the natural talent of some of the other world champions but makes up for it with his dedication, heart and resilience.

I think my annoyance came from people, including yourself(in your first post) who believed it was a foregone conclusion that he was getting finished had the ref not stopped it.

I see why people can think that and it was a possibility but certainly not the only possible ending. Groves isn't a wet behind the ears kid who has never been in deep before.He knows how to survive and come back stronger.

That's been the point I have been trying to get across but to the general public who seem to think if your not Carl Froch you cannot overcome adversity...

Anyway I think I have said all I care to on that subject.

Quigg looked excellent. Wish him and Frampton would either get it on or the press stop talking about it. Quigg is a champion in his own right yet cannot catch an interview with Frampton being named.

I actually agree with you about the Froch thing. The amazing resilience he showed is being overlooked because of the stoppage. He doesn't have the natural talent of some of the other world champions but makes up for it with his dedication' date=' heart and resilience.

I think my annoyance came from people, including yourself(in your first post) who believed it was a foregone conclusion that he was getting finished had the ref not stopped it.

I see why people can think that and it was a possibility but certainly not the only possible ending. Groves isn't a wet behind the ears kid who has never been in deep before.He knows how to survive and come back stronger.

That's been the point I have been trying to get across but to the general public who seem to think if your not Carl Froch you cannot overcome adversity...

.[/quote']

I see were your coming from, the reason I thought Groves was going to get knocked out was simply due to that last round, his legs looked wobbly and he had totaly lost control and Froch was getting to him, he wasn't defending himself and half the time he wasn't even facing Froch.

The thing with Froch is once he smells blood he's just relentless and would not have given Groves a second to recover from anything, he would have just carried on walking through Groves punches (which seemed to be having less of an affect by the minute) and for me Froch would have just hit him with 1 shot after the other and I do think Groves was about to go.

These are just my views of course, impossible to say if it would have happened as the ref took it all away.

Anybody reckon with a few more 'big' fights behind him (especially if he wins the Froch rematch - if it happens of course) he would have a chance of causing Ward any problems? he clearly has the power and his speed and movement is excellent, obviously some way down the line yet mind.

Anybody reckon with a few more 'big' fights behind him (especially if he wins the Froch rematch - if it happens of course) he would have a chance of causing Ward any problems? he clearly has the power and his speed and movement is excellent' date=' obviously some way down the line yet mind.[/quote']

Groves reminds me of Andre Dirrell somewhat. It'd be an interesting fight but right now i think Ward is just too classy for Groves.

Give it a year or two and who knows.

Personally, I think Andre Ward is a little too far up the chain for Groves to be fighting at this point. It wouldn't be an easy fight by any means for Ward but in the end I believe his ability to fight on the inside would prevail.

Looking forward to Bellew against Stevenson. Would love Tony to win as I am a big fan of his and if he wins he wants his first title defence to be at Goodison and that would be amazing. However I reckon Stevenson will prove to be to much for him but I can hope.

Looking forward to Bellew against Stevenson. Would love Tony to win as I am a big fan of his and if he wins he wants his first title defence to be at Goodison and that would be amazing. However I reckon Stevenson will prove to be to much for him but I can hope.

Think your right unfortunately. Bellew is a solid domestic fighter but I don't see him being on the same level as Adonis.

Tyson Fury is Der future of Boxing.

He talks utter and complete sense and is the definition of Television entertainment.

Does anybody have information on his next fight, as Haye has chickened out of another fight once more?

Fury will bring back the enthusiasm for boxing.

Great talent.

Just watched the Bellew V Stevenson fight and have to say the fight sadly went exactly as I and most people expected :o

Bellew went in and gave it a shot but Stevenson was always likely to have to much he has fantastic punch power and he just swarmed all over Tony and done his job professionally.

Said it before will say it again Bellew is short of world level. He is a good fighter and clears up domestically and probably at European level but any step to world level and he gets exposed. he don't hit hard enough and lacks the nous and skills to really make an impression at this level. Think that could have been his last chance TBH at least he went and gave it a go and he did have a little spell in round four where he made a dent but bar that he was outclassed.

tell you what though Kovalev V Stevenson if it happens will be awesome!! :)

Just watched the Bellew V Stevenson fight and have to say the fight sadly went exactly as I and most people expected :o

Bellew went in and gave it a shot but Stevenson was always likely to have to much he has fantastic punch power and he just swarmed all over Tony and done his job professionally.

Said it before will say it again Bellew is short of world level. He is a good fighter and clears up domestically and probably at European level but any step to world level and he gets exposed. he don't hit hard enough and lacks the nous and skills to really make an impression at this level. Think that could have been his last chance TBH at least he went and gave it a go and he did have a little spell in round four where he made a dent but bar that he was outclassed.

tell you what though Kovalev V Stevenson if it happens will be awesome!! :)

I agree with nearly of this ^^ comrade.

Good analysis.B)

agree with Ray' date=' would be excellent. I would give adonis the clear edge though.

I'm not Bellews biggest fan, I think he got pretty lucky against Chilemba both times.[/quote']

I ain't so sure TBH I think I might back the Russian. When questioned after the fight Adonis did not seem overly keen to fight him TBH for whatever reason be it money or maybe a little fear who knows.....

One thing is for sure it would be spectacular whilst it lasts!! I don't necessarily think Kovalev has bundles of Boxing "skill" but his raw power is awesome, I think Adonis may be able to out box him using his jab but at some point they would have t engage and by God tha will be awesome to watch two massive punchers going at it. :)

In other News David Price has ducked fighting Chisora and relinquished his British and Commonwealth titles having joined up with Sauerland promotions and training with Adam Booth. Probably a wise move think Chisora would take him out currently.

I ain't so sure TBH I think I might back the Russian. When questioned after the fight Adonis did not seem overly keen to fight him TBH for whatever reason be it money or maybe a little fear who knows.....

One thing is for sure it would be spectacular whilst it lasts!! I don't necessarily think Kovalev has bundles of Boxing "skill" but his raw power is awesome' date=' I think Adonis may be able to out box him using his jab but at some point they would have t engage and by God tha will be awesome to watch two massive punchers going at it. :)

In other News David Price has ducked fighting Chisora and relinquished his British and Commonwealth titles having joined up with Sauerland promotions and training with Adam Booth. Probably a wise move think Chisora would take him out currently.[/quote']

Kovalev would always have a chance but like you said he doesn't have a lot of skill in boxing.

I don't see it as fear with Adonis but I see him looking at it from a business sense.

Kovalev is a hungry champion with bags of power and a real challenge. On top of that it's not a blockbuster name so wouldn't make the big bucks.

Froch looked very beatable in his last fight, and is a huge name in boxing.

I think Adonis probably sees it as trying to get a big pay day out of a fading champ in Froch instead of relative peanuts against a fighter who so far has shown no visible weakness.

Kovalev would always have a chance but like you said he doesn't have a lot of skill in boxing.

I don't see it as fear with Adonis but I see him looking at it from a business sense.

Kovalev is a hungry champion with bags of power and a real challenge. On top of that it's not a blockbuster name so wouldn't make the big bucks.

Froch looked very beatable in his last fight' date=' and is a huge name in boxing.

I think Adonis probably sees it as trying to get a big pay day out of a fading champ in Froch instead of relative peanuts against a fighter who so far has shown no visible weakness.[/quote']

FRoch is comfortable at Super Middleweight, no way he is going to move up to Light Heavy to fight Adonis....

Kovalev is the fight and whilst not a superstar he is well on his way and is quite well known in America now. I perfectly understand your thinking about why he would see it from a business point if view but in his division who else is there bar Hopkins maybe???

FRoch is comfortable at Super Middleweight' date=' no way he is going to move up to Light Heavy to fight Adonis....

Kovalev is the fight and whilst not a superstar he is well on his way and is quite well known in America now. I perfectly understand your thinking about why he would see it from a business point if view but in his division who else is there bar Hopkins maybe???[/quote']

Im guessing Chad will be wanting a rematch after he picks up a couple of wins but yeah it's a pretty weak division. Super Middleweight is stacked so Light heavy suffers from that.

I agree Kovalev is the fight to be made but maybe the risk isn't equal to the reward for Adonis?

Other than that Jean Pascal? Would be a major dust up, especially in Canada.

On a side note, I personally dislike seeing fighters start moving weight after a loss. It strikes me as them finding other reasons for why they lost instead of looking at themselves. Cleverley and Bellew heading to cruiserweight are perfect examples.

Kovalev v Adonis will be unbelievable. It will be absolute mayhem. The only question will be which one will get knocked out and how long will it take?

Regarding Froch, the only logical fight for him is Andre but he knows as well as everyone else that Ward will beat him again and essentially end his career at the highest level.

The media is clambering for a Ward v Golovkin super fight but i cannot see that happening - Not yet, any way. Both are unbelievable fighters and just don't seem to have any weaknesses.

Massive fan of Barker but he was bombed out of there tonight , That Sturm is really something when the pressure told he blew a former world champion in Barker away.

Dislocated hip and reports already coming he may finally retire after this injury , I really hope not as I love watching him at full gear :)

Get well soon Barker :)

Some interesting developments in the Boxing world lately.

Devestated for Barker he seems like one of the genuine nice guys and his back story is pretty amazing, was always going to be a tough night but for his hip to go agan was devastating and I just felt so sorry for him. Probably won't see him in the ring again and nor should he has to take care of his own health. he became world champion achieved his lifelong dream he has nothing to be ashamed of.

Didn't see much of the bill on Saturday but Mitchell looked impressive against an opponent he should beat hopefully he gets stepped up now had enough fights on his comeback trail. Martin Murray was pretty awful in his win although I understand he has a problematic build up. By all accounts he will announce another world title fight this week hope he steps up frm Saturday's performance or he won't have a hope :o

I did however see Maidana V Broner and my word talk about stop all the hype or what!! Maidana really exposed Broner, flattened him on a few occasions and the self proclaimed "heir to Mayweather" got fatally exposed. Was a real shock but was not a fluke by any means. Another massive American hope fails to live up to the hype, Maidana is a decent fighter but not to to level and be difficult for Broner to rebuild from here what a setback.

Also Vitali Klitschko has vacated his Heavyweight title belt and announced he will probably never fight again, might open up the Heavyweight division fr a lot of fighters who can now all see a bit of light and a great opening now in what was a pretty closed field before this happened.

Some interesting developments in the Boxing world lately.

Devestated for Barker he seems like one of the genuine nice guys and his back story is pretty amazing' date=' was always going to be a tough night but for his hip to go agan was devastating and I just felt so sorry for him. Probably won't see him in the ring again and nor should he has to take care of his own health. he became world champion achieved his lifelong dream he has nothing to be ashamed of.

Didn't see much of the bill on Saturday but Mitchell looked impressive against an opponent he should beat hopefully he gets stepped up now had enough fights on his comeback trail. Martin Murray was pretty awful in his win although I understand he has a problematic build up. By all accounts he will announce another world title fight this week hope he steps up frm Saturday's performance or he won't have a hope :o

I did however see Maidana V Broner and my word talk about stop all the hype or what!! Maidana really exposed Broner, flattened him on a few occasions and the self proclaimed "heir to Mayweather" got fatally exposed. Was a real shock but was not a fluke by any means. Another massive American hope fails to live up to the hype, Maidana is a decent fighter but not to to level and be difficult for Broner to rebuild from here what a setback.

Also Vitali Klitschko has vacated his Heavyweight title belt and announced he will probably never fight again, might open up the Heavyweight division fr a lot of fighters who can now all see a bit of light and a great opening now in what was a pretty closed field before this happened.[/quote']

I didn't get a chance to see any of the domestic stuff but just caught up on the highlights of Broner v Maidana! Good lord!

I know Maidana is a hard hitter but i thought Broner would be too slick for him. It'll be interesting to see if he actually comes back from this because he's built his career on being an untouchable loud mouth trash talker so far and it'll be interesting to see how he changes his approach to fights from here. Maidana is now rumoured to be the front runner to fight Mayweather on May 3rd.

I don't think it'll be long before Wlad retires either to be honest. There is only really Wilder out there right now who can challenge him. I personally think Wilder would beat him but i guess people said the same about Haye.

Bute's career might be over after that. He just looked so disinterested throughout the fight. Other than a few good moments in Round 12' date='he was shocking. :mad::([/quote']

Told you ages ago he was far from world class, beat a few bums handpicked for him and people thought he was something special.

He never was, never will be, vastly overrated and little more than an average boxer, Pascal took him to school again not as bad as the Froch fight but again completly outclassed.

nowhere for him to go he should retire before he gets seriously hurt and nobody wants to see that happen to anybody.