Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Really looking forward to tonight as mentioned before it is the Billy Joe V Eubanks fight that has got me excited.

Much of it revolves around Eubanks because we just have no idea how good or otherwise he really is, Billy Joe is a very good fighter and been in with much higher quality if opponent so on the books he has to be the favourite, but such an interesting fight.

Fury V Chisora is a decent one as well, both in much better shape than there first fight, I think you have to favour Fury with all the advantages physically he will have, would love Chisora to knock him out though, I find it is impossible to like Fury.

I think Sykes V Walsh will be brilliant as well and as I say that Walsh knocks him over in the first round!! Sukes will do well to survive.

Also got my local lad Bradley Skeete against Frankie Gavin, I actually see Skeete quite often (dont know him though) think Gavin should have to much for him though, much more skilled fighter IMO

I enjoyed the Walsh Sykes fight the most out of them all, both put on a very good showing.

The Billy Joe Eubank fight didn't really catch light until the later rounds. Eubank Jnr needs to get rid of Eubank Snr from his corner, it all stinks of him trying to carry on being centre stage. When Jnr got some proper advice and coaching in the later rounds he seemed to get more fired up. The little advice Snr did offer wasn't great and seemed pretty basic. Like the comment the commentators picked up on, who were shockingly bad by the way, telling Jnr to sit back and bend his knees when he throws 3's and 4's.

Fury had his way with Chisora, way more than I thought he would do. After Klitschko boxed his mandatory WBO in April I guess it is no surprise that Fury won't get a look in till late next year. Especially after Klitschko has stated he wants the WBC belt as well as Briggs popping up everywhere Klitschko goes in order to get a pay day.

Decent night of Boxing, but somebody really has to have a word with Frank Warren about his scheduling the fact the main event is still going on at nearly half one is a farce, people pay hundreds for tickets and then can't even get home, ridiculous really.

There mood would not have been helped (those that stayed) by the fact the main event was such a letdown as the other week. Fury absolutely dominated the fight and just jabbed his way to victory, clever tactics if rather boring for the paying spectator but Chisora could not get anywhere near him. Was pretty good by Fury though considering the inactivity TBF. Can't help but dislike him still though desperate for him to be sparked out :P

Sykes V Walsh was very good, Walsh with a deserved win but a really good fight plenty of action, come forward fighters.

Eubank V Billy Joe was by far the best and most intriguing fight of the night and I think Chris Eubank's ridiculous statement that his son could beat Golovkin now got shown up somewhat :o

I was pretty astonished at how slow Eubank started allowing Billy Joe to open up a big lead on the cards and then when he started to pressure and fight on the inside it was to late which was a shame as he really pulled the fight back down the stretch despite being dog tired. Can't say I was to impressed though his Boxing was just crude for the most part, lots of swinging and hoping, no technical aspects to be really impressed by. he can come back of course but I expected more and the hype was not really met, he does have tools but he has to learn to be better both technically and fight management.

As for Billy, great win for him in a big grudge match but TBH he reminds me of Bellew in the fact I think he is a good fighter but I really think he might just be short of world level.

Well, despite trying not to get emotionally invested in fights anymore, I let it happen with the Billy Joe vs Eubank jnr fight.

Personally, and as far as I could see the fight back this up, Billy Joe is on a completely different level to Chris when it comes to boxing ability. What Chris had was size over Billy and he used that to pull it back in the later rounds but had nowhere near enough to get the nod. Pretty disgraceful judging that it went to a split but hey ho, the right man won.

You aren't going to get anywhere in boxing if you don't know your fundamentals and Chris Eubank jnr has no idea what they are. Basically running at Billy and looping punches with his eyes closed hoping to land...I hate that style of fighting with a passion.

Billy could probably do with working on his cardio because he does seem to fade a fair bit towards the end of fights.

I'd match Chris Eubanks jnr up with John Ryder next and see how he fairs.

And as many have said Chris Eubank needs his marching orders because his son is basically an after thought in these fights. Its all about the big I AM. Really quite tragic to see it play out infront of my eyes.

Fury did what i expected him too, big character and I actually have grown to like the guy. Bring on Wladamir... :P

Frankie Gavin didnt impress. Skeetes a decent kid but shouldnt be troubling Gavin the way he did...

Hope Crolla is ok, tried to do some good and got mercilessly attacked. In the grand scheme of things I guess it is small potatoes but it is still a shame that his world title challenge is now off. Hopefully if he gets back 100% he will get another chance.

Hope Crolla is ok' date=' tried to do some good and got mercilessly attacked. In the grand scheme of things I guess it is small potatoes but it is still a shame that his world title challenge is now off. Hopefully if he gets back 100% he will get another chance.[/quote']

Yeh delighted to hear that he should be ok, really nice guy met him on a few occasions and it must be so heartbreaking on the verge of his world title shot something like this happens and he misses his shot. I hope in time he makes a full recovery and gets that shot but the nature of these things is you never know if they can come back the same.

Been a real dodgy few months if your a British Boxer with what has happened to Jamie Moore and Kell Brook as well, you couldn't make it up.

John Ryder was very poor tonight, especially against a very late sub.

Kevin Mitchell put on a very good show tonight. I didn't like him ducking so low in the first couple of rounds or the real wild punches he threw after knocking Estrada down. All in all though they were pretty minor points in what was a fantastic display overall.

Hope he does go on to win the world title he craves so much, i'm sure he will if he performs like that again.

John Ryder was very poor tonight' date=' especially against a very late sub.

Kevin Mitchell put on a very good show tonight. I didn't like him ducking so low in the first couple of rounds or the real wild punches he threw after knocking Estrada down. All in all though they were pretty minor points in what was a fantastic display overall.

Hope he does go on to win the world title he craves so much, i'm sure he will if he performs like that again.[/quote']

I'm delighted for him. Really hope he can get that belt.

Unbelievable stoppage! Ian John Lewis panicked big time and got the call wrong for me. Rose was definitely hurt and rocked backwards but the ref panicked big time when he saw Rose on his heels for a split second.

Rose was covering up and taking most of the shots on his gloves, I have no doubt he would of seen the round out on his feet and recovered.

Unbelievable stoppage! Ian John Lewis panicked big time and got the call wrong for me. Rose was definitely hurt and rocked backwards but the ref panicked big time when he saw Rose on his heels for a split second.

Rose was covering up and taking most of the shots on his gloves' date=' I have no doubt he would of seen the round out on his feet and recovered.[/quote']

Was probably a bit harsh although I ain't gunna say as some are that it's the worst decision they have ever seen.

He was clearly hurt but he did seem to have control of his arms and was covering up even if his legs were a bit on the wobbly side, but this was the first round it ain't like he has been taking punishment or been involved in a semi long fight, being at home and the importance of the fight I would have expected a bit more leniency.

Tough job being a Ref and he can't take any chances or risk a fighter getting hurt unnecessarily but sometimes it's a tough call and they will get it wrong from time to time.

Hopefully they can get the rematch, probably financially a fight that can and will happen.

Finally Mayweather V Pacquiao seems to be on for 2nd May.

Happening too late, yeah probably. However I don't think either fighter has deteriorated significantly more than the other. They have both looked more vulnerable in recent fights than they have previously.

I'd still pick Mayweather to win. I don't believe he would take this fight without knowing he could win, his 100% record is too important too him.

Looking forward to the Paul Smith fight' date=' the last fight was much closer than it was scored. Hopefully Paul can go and get a result this time but it will be difficult in Germany.[/quote']

I am as well. Really hope he can pull it off.

I fear it could be much like when Mayweather and Maidana fought first time round as well as Froch and Groves though.

The lack of respect and unknown will of played into Smiths favour first time round, now Abraham knows what he is about I think it will be harder for him.

As well as Smith fighting tonight I'm looking forward to the Murray v Golovkin fight, which I have just learnt is on Channel 5 tonight.

No doubt the coverage will be truly awful as is always the case with Channel 5 but it's free so not going to complain too much LOL

I don't see Murray being able to beat Golovkin, the guy is terrific fighter, he is pretty tough though so I think the question is can Murray prevent an 19th consecutive stoppage win for Golovkin.

As well as Smith fighting tonight I'm looking forward to the Murray v Golovkin fight' date=' which I have just learnt is on Channel 5 tonight.

No doubt the coverage will be truly awful as is always the case with Channel 5 but it's free so not going to complain too much LOL

I don't see Murray being able to beat Golovkin, the guy is terrific fighter, he is pretty tough though so I think the question is can Murray prevent an 19th consecutive stoppage win for Golovkin.[/quote']

The answer to your question IMO is a big fat no, Golovkin is a machine and IMO Murray is nowhere near his class, Il be surprised if he goes longer than 6-7 rounds TBH barring a completely negative outlook from Murray.

Looking forward to seeing Josh Warrington tonight a kid I have been really impressed by and can see going on to world level if he keeps up the rate of progression and his attitude in check.

Think Paul Smith will have his hands full tonight, I think he drew the first fight and the scorecards were a joke but I think Abraham took him way to lightly last time and will be better prepared and even if he ain't the fight is in Germany so unless you win by a landslide getting a decision there is virtually impossible sadly :o

Buzzing with the Floyd V PAC news five years to late but it is the biggest fight in Boxing and one I and the Boxing Public have wanted for years absolutely stoked it is going to happen!! :)

Even in Fast Forward David Price looks ridiculously slow :o:o

The Scars of Tony Thompson for me are still evident and mentally I think he still and probably will never get over it, looks timid and scared.

All well and good knocking out a nobody with no ambition to punch himself but as soon as he gets tagged you have to think can he deal with it, history would suggest not sadly.

If he thinks he knocks out Joshua he is living in cloud cuckoo land......

Even in Fast Forward David Price looks ridiculously slow :o:o

The Scars of Tony Thompson for me are still evident and mentally I think he still and probably will never get over it' date=' looks timid and scared.

All well and good knocking out a nobody with no ambition to punch himself but as soon as he gets tagged you have to think can he deal with it, history would suggest not sadly.

If he thinks he knocks out Joshua he is living in cloud cuckoo land......[/quote']

I was just coming here to post the exact same thing. The mental issues of his knock out to Thompson are still clear to see. The up and coming New Zealand kid Parker knocked out the same guy within 4 rounds and he is still considered very green, Price should of blitzed him within a couple of rounds.

You were right, Golovkin stopped Murray, I thought it was going to come even sooner. How Murray kept going after the 4th and lasted as long as the 11th I'll never know, tough as hell.

Golovkin battered him though, he is such a good fighter it's ridiculous. Golovkin is fast becoming one of my favourites, he has very good technique which make his punches seem like they don't actually have that much power in them. Quite obviously that isn't true and he hits harder than a mule LOL

Smith was outclassed tonight and like I thought Abraham knew what he was about and was able to actually come in on top of his game to get the win. All credit to Smith, he put everything he had into the fight and had some very good moments. I think he more than deserves some more big nights against some top level fighters if he chooses to keep fighting.

I was just coming here to post the exact same thing. The mental issues of his knock out to Thompson are still clear to see. The up and coming New Zealand kid Parker knocked out the same guy within 4 rounds and he is still considered very green' date=' Price should of blitzed him within a couple of rounds.

You were right, Golovkin stopped Murray, I thought it was going to come even sooner. How Murray kept going after the 4th and lasted as long as the 11th I'll never know, tough as hell.

Golovkin battered him though, he is such a good fighter it's ridiculous. Golovkin is fast becoming one of my favourites, he has very good technique which make his punches seem like they don't actually have that much power in them. Quite obviously that isn't true and he hits harder than a mule LOL

Smith was outclassed tonight and like I thought Abraham knew what he was about and was able to actually come in on top of his game to get the win. All credit to Smith, he put everything he had into the fight and had some very good moments. I think he more than deserves some more big nights against some top level fighters if he chooses to keep fighting.[/quote']

In total agreement, thought both Smith and Murray were both very brave and they gave everything they had but ultimately they were outclassed by genuine world level fighters where as both Smith and Murray are in the rung just below world class.

Can't argue with the scorecards in the Smith fight this time either thought they were pretty fair, I actually had the bout 9-3 in rounds to Abraham and even one of the rounds I gave to Smith was very debateable. Shame for Smith such a nice guy and so classy when he talks but that was his last chance maybe a couple of domestic level scraps left for him but he has been there and done it so not sure how much in terms of motivation that will give him.

More I see of Golovkin the more impressive he looks, just an absolute beast every challenge he has had he just demolishes them.

Eubank Jnr put on a good display, got caught with a few shots and let Chudinov take a few rounds but by in large he battered Chudinov. Especially in the last few rounds, should of been stopped earlier.

Fury put in a workman like performance with a few flashes of excellence. Wasn't really impressed or into the fight much, I guess it was to be expected with a fight with Klitschko potentially at risk.

Frampton up next, the atmosphere looks brilliant. Looking forward to it.

Eubank Jnr put on a good display' date=' got caught with a few shots and let Chudinov take a few rounds but by in large he battered Chudinov. Especially in the last few rounds, should of been stopped earlier.

Fury put in a workman like performance with a few flashes of excellence. Wasn't really impressed or into the fight much, I guess it was to be expected with a fight with Klitschko potentially at risk.

Frampton up next, the atmosphere looks brilliant. Looking forward to it.[/quote']

Didn't see the Eubank Jnr fight but it was a fight he should win and sounds like he done the business.

As you say Fury was workmanlike, bit dull at times but just worked behind his jab and took very few chances and with the World Title Shot up next providing he won who can blame him TBH no point taking any risks.

Frampton put in a good showing and even though it is some one I would expect him to beat he won't of done his reputation any harm with the stoppage. The referee made an excellent call on the stoppage as well, perfect timing. If it had gone on any longer I think Avalos could of been seriously hurt.

Didn't see the Eubank Jnr fight but it was a fight he should win and sounds like he done the business.

As you say Fury was workmanlike' date=' bit dull at times but just worked behind his jab and took very few chances and with the World Title Shot up next providing he won who can blame him TBH no point taking any risks.[/quote']

Definitely can't blame him for what would be his biggest fight.

Seen some cracking fights already tonight, namely Singleton and Eggington. Lots of respect for Campbell coming in and fighting with his issues surrounding his dad, hope he gets better.

Nice little warm up for tonight's action. Abner Mares, Broner and Thurman v Guerrero.

I'm rooting for Guerrero, never warmed to Thurman. I think the bookies odds of 5/1 for Guerrero to win are a little insulting to Guerrero, I know Thurman can hit and he is the bigger fighter but Guerrero has been in with bigger guy's that hit hard and won.