Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Lets all be honest in reality it nowhere near lived up to the Hype' date=' not that Floyd should or will care about that.

As a fan though you wanted something else, you wanted excitement, you wanted them to engage but what we want and what's best for the fighters is totally different.[/quote']

This is how all 7 of us felt tonight in the living room tbh.

Boxers actually fighters in general who are there not to lose are fundamentally boring MW footwork guard won him that fight. Point system needs scrapped utterly embarrassing as far a the word fight goes which i asume he classes himself as a fighter.

I had Mayweather by 5 rounds. You can't win rounds if you can't land punches. He needed to take more risks especially early on but Mayweather never allowed him to. Love him or loathe he is undeniably brilliant at what he does..

I totally disagree with Safir that they went in there just thinking of the money. Manny is not money orientated and this fight is proof that Mayweather is so elusive and controlled the fight from start to finish.

Just look at the rounds Manny won' date=' Mayweather came out next round controlled the centre of the ring not allowing Manny to get close and keeping him at bay with point scoring jabs. Not a great fight but Mayweather did what he needed to do.

Manny would learn from this if there were a rematch and be more aggressive. You need to apply non stop pressure to trouble Mayweather and take risks, easier said than done. [/font']

I disagree with them as well. There was not some sort of conspiracy where neither fighter had a brawl just for monetary reasons.

I do feel for the casual fan in a way though. If you didn't really know how Mayweather fights then all the media hype surrounding it would have had you believing the fight was going to be a real tear up.

Mayweather did what he does best. Stayed elusive, defensive and slick. He put in a boxing masterclass

Unfortunatley my instincts were right and Mayweather was going to win on points and TBH I don't see how anybody can see otherwise.

I had PAC winning three rounds but Mayweather is just so awkward and basically one the fight by being defensively elusive and single right hands finding the mark but nobody bar Oscar De La Hoya (who I think could well have beaten him and possibly did) has got close to working out the conundrum.

Totally unlikeable charachter but you can't help but admire his technical ability' date=' best of his era most Definetley but he will never be remembered in my view amongst the absolute elite greats of the sport his style in both boxing terms and his personality will see to that.

As for PAC saying he thought he won the fight :o:o

Still we must all hate Floyd anyway his constant references and thanking God for the victory well were irritating :rolleyes::P[/quote']

Funny how Mayweather thanking and praising god has gone without comment :rolleyes:

I'm inclined to agree with how Mayweather will be remembered, no doubt he is one of the best ever but I don't think he is THE best ever. He will obviously retire undefeated now and people will point to that as a reference point for him being the best ever.

For me there are fighters that have gone on to over come much more difficult circumstances.

I am surprised that he will only fight once more though, to equal Marciano's record rather than beating it outright.

Boxers actually fighters in general who are there not to lose are fundamentally boring MW footwork guard won him that fight. Point system needs scrapped utterly embarrassing as far a the word fight goes which i asume he classes himself as a fighter.

Yeah you haven't watched much boxing have you.

Yeah you haven't watched much boxing have you.

Apart from me already saying I don't watch much boxing i stand by what I said and it sucks on it's on as a sport at the highest level and has pretty much underwhelmed every ppv i have purchased.

Just seen this so true > Apparently, the true answer to the question ‘Pacquiao or Mayweather, who wins?’ is… UFC!

Mayweather vs Pacquiao ... The winner by (very) unanimous decision, and STILLLLLLLLLLL champion @ufc

Mike Tyson said ''We waited 5 years for this?''

Anyway see you in 10 years at the next big fight of all time letdowns.

Apart from me already saying I don't watch much boxing i stand by what I said and it sucks on it's on as a sport at the highest level and has pretty much underwhelmed every ppv i have purchased.

Just seen this so true > Apparently' date=' the true answer to the question ‘Pacquiao or Mayweather, who wins?’ is… UFC!

Mayweather vs Pacquiao ... The winner by (very) unanimous decision, and STILLLLLLLLLLL champion @ufc

[/b']

Mike Tyson said ''We waited 5 years for this?''

Anyway see you in 10 years at the next big fight of all time letdowns.

Nah boxing was the winner, the exposure this fight gave was ridiculous. UFC will never be talked about by just your average person like the lead up to that fight was.

Also having just got to watch the fight, I don't understand what people were expecting, Floyd was always going to use them tactics as it has got him so many results through his career. He's kind of like the Mourinho of boxing, just does what he has to in order to win.

Nah boxing was the winner' date=' the exposure this fight gave was ridiculous. UFC will never be talked about by just your average person like the lead up to that fight was.

Also having just got to watch the fight, I don't understand what people were expecting, Floyd was always going to use them tactics as it has got him so many results through his career. He's kind of like the Mourinho of boxing, just does what he has to in order to win.[/quote']

If boxing was the winner who was the loser lol anyway more and more people are turning away from boxing give it time mma well the ufc is the present and future. And fights like this turn even more people away . . . .

If boxing was the winner who was the loser lol anyway more and more people are turning away from boxing give it time mma well the ufc is the present and future. And fights like this turn even more people away . . . .

But it didn't, Boxing fans knew what to expect from a Mayweather fight, so it was unlikely to turn that many actual fans away. It also attracted many people who never watch boxing before so it hardly turned people away.

But it didn't' date=' Boxing fans knew what to expect from a Mayweather fight, so it was unlikely to turn that many actual fans away. It also attracted many people who never watch boxing before so it hardly turned people away.[/quote']

You actually believe that , yes not so hardcore fans but the average person most definitely. It did attract many people who don't watch boxing you think that they want to see more of last night again? :D

The UFC won did they? I look forward to their half a billion PPV in the foreseeable future.

Ufc won as boxing is dying a slow death , sure they'll not have 1 off megafights thst draw the money yet we know that but if you sit 2 ppl down to watch boxings big draw in last 10 years and the ufcs biggest draw who you think they'll enjoy more.

The UFCs biggest draw was GSP who since being knocked out was constantly hounded for being dull. Boxing isn't dying. It just had it's biggest ever PPV. The UFC has stagnated and is losing long term fans.

Why watch it then doesn't make any sense?:o

Also i would think Lesnar was the Ufcs biggest draw which isnt great but money wise it was though i don't care to go into garbage of who brung in most ppv money.

Personally' date=' I'd love to see Mayweather v Khan. That would be something special just before Money retires.[/quote']

Well Mayweather said he is only having one more fight in September before he retires (49-0) Khan can't face Mayweather in September due to Ramadan so it looks a non starter certainly for September.

Whilst I do think it might happen next year possibly Mayweather yet agin playing a cracking game of chess saying he retires before the opportunity of Going 50-0 and beating Marciano's record.

He ain't silly, say he will retire the clamour for that fight to break Marciano's record will increase he comes back makes a massive bundle of cash as Broadcasters will fall over themselves to show that.

Say what you like he is a brilliant businessman :)

What a great fight that Ricky Burns V Figueroa fight was, a complete throwback fight just two blokes standing toe to toe.

I thought Burns was washed up but that was a great effort albeit in defeat but you gotta love Boxing like that, ok not a lot of great technical stuff but in terms of courage, fight, grit, sheer brute will that was a great fight, the right man got the decision but I was impressed with Burns considering how rubbish he had looked previously this was a very decent display against a good operator away from home.