Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Cannot wait for the fight tonight! Should be a lot better than last week's fight (in terms of entertainment) and I'm going for a Pacman win. Should be interesting though, because Cotto's no slouch. He'll certainly provide Pacman a much bigger test than Hatton did.

And the best thing - Sky have made this free to watch! Hoorah! :D

Chuffed it's on SS1 rather than box office, I didn't even realise till earlier today.

Seems to be a lot of people going for Cotto, but I've had a cheeky bet on Manny. Cotto's got frightening power and a granite chin but he did look sloppy last time out against Clottney and he can struggle against real quality fighters. Even fairly average guys (in world class terms) like Ndou, Malignaggi and Clottney have taken him deep into the 11th and 12th rounds.

Should be fantastic either way though.

Got a feeling it will start at 4:(

Looks like you were right.

The final fight on the undercard has just finished with Yuri Foreman claiming an impressive victory over Juan Santos to claim the WBA light-middleweight champion. Santos seemed a bit past it, to be honest, but Foreman was very impressive in his victoy.

Got the big coming up any time now.

Chavez Jr up first, I'd be surprised if this lasted beyond the first few rounds though.

Bit of an uninspiring undercard. Shame about the opener because it was bubbling under quite nicely, but Foreman/Santos was pretty poor. Santos is shot, whats that his first fight in 18 months or something? And he didn't look in anywhere near good enough shape. Foreman did ok but he's still a powder puncher, right fight at the right time for him.

Chavez Jr up first' date=' I'd be surprised if this lasted beyond the first few rounds though.

Bit of an uninspiring undercard. Shame about the opener because it was bubbling under quite nicely, but Foreman/Santos was pretty poor. Santos is shot, whats that his first fight in 18 months or something? And he didn't look in anywhere near good enough shape. Foreman did ok but he's still a powder puncher, right fight at the right time for him.[/quote']

I didn't see another fight coming! It seems funny how we pay £14-15 for one fight last week, yet we get 5 fights, including a great main event for free this week.

You might be right about Foreman, but I think you're being a little bit harsh on him. He'll have much bigger tests in the future for sure, though.

Aye, can't complain. Although this fight looks a bit grim so far. Rowland isn't a threat and Chavez knows it. I was hoping he'd have finished him quicker than this.

I'm probably being a little unkind to Foreman. He's definately gotten better since I last saw him, he's willing to engage more which is a good sign. It's tough to really measure that victory though, Santos just looked completely gone.

Aye' date=' can't complain. Although this fight looks a bit grim so far. Rowland isn't a threat and Chavez knows it. I was hoping he'd have finished him quicker than this.[/quote']

This fight has been boring, well, for me anyway. I guess it's because I have no interest in it. Hurry up and get them out the ring!

This fight has been boring' date=' well, for me anyway. I guess it's because I have no interest in it. Hurry up and get them out the ring![/quote']

It was so bad that it put me to sleep! :o

Luckily I'd V+'d the fight anyway. Immense from Pacquiao, he's just phenomenal. Feel a little sorry for Cotto on the decision, it didn't really need to be called. Then again if it had gone the distance I'd have lost my bet, so it's happy days really.

Mayweather next? As much as I'd love it, I'm not convinced either side are overly eager to make it happen.

You say that Roko but aside from Mosley there is not many other possibilites,I think Cotto has had his day and would not beat Mayweather and should retire,Hatton has basically retired and is not even a vialible contender,Berto whilst a good fighter is not on there level and it is the same with Clottey,There is only one other contender and if i was Paul Williams i would go back down a division because i seriously think he would beat Mosley and would be able to compete with Mayweather and Pacman,However i have a feeling he wont and if neither fights Mosley i cant see any other options but to fight each other.

It was so bad that it put me to sleep! :o

Luckily I'd V+'d the fight anyway. Immense from Pacquiao' date=' he's just phenomenal. Feel a little sorry for Cotto on the decision, it didn't really need to be called. Then again if it had gone the distance I'd have lost my bet, so it's happy days really.

Mayweather next? As much as I'd love it, I'm not convinced either side are overly eager to make it happen.[/quote']

Pacquiao was just awesome. Absolutely breath-taking. I gave Cotto the first round, but after that, he got absolutely hammered. Credit to Cotto though, who plowed on when many would have thrown in the towel and stuck it through to, almost, the very end. Also, did you see their two faces at the end? Cotto looked like he had been to and through a war, while Pacquiao looked like he'd been for a light jog.

And I agree with you on the Mayweather point. Everyone would love to see it, but I sense that feeling as well. All the talk has come from the media speculating, rather than either camp talking up the possibility.

TBH i said that pacman would stop him, and so it proved, he is a great great boxer and a class act, all the best to him. I think that if he fought mayweather it would be a step to far, depending on the weight class of course, at welter i think mayweather would be too big for him, at light-welter he would have a chance.

Im not sure if it would happen though, as previously mayweather has stated that he hates bob arum, and wont do business with him in the future, we can dream though .

You say that Roko but aside from Mosley there is not many other possibilites' date='I think Cotto has had his day and would not beat Mayweather and should retire,Hatton has basically retired and is not even a vialible contender,Berto whilst a good fighter is not on there level and it is the same with Clottey,There is only one other contender and if i was Paul Williams i would go back down a division because i seriously think he would beat Mosley and would be able to compete with Mayweather and Pacman,However i have a feeling he wont and if neither fights Mosley i cant see any other options but to fight each other.[/quote']

I agree, but it still needs both camps to want to make the fight and I just don't see enough willing. I can't help but think they're happy to dodge each other for the time being.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Manny or Floyd take a fight with Mosley, assuming he beats Berto. There are other options, albeit far worse ones, for Manny as well, already the whispers about Valero or a third fight with Marquez are emerging. Both would be a waste of time, but I wouldn't be hugely surprised.

I agree' date=' but it still needs both camps to want to make the fight and I just don't see enough willing. I can't help but think they're happy to dodge each other for the time being.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Manny or Floyd take a fight with Mosley, assuming he beats Berto. There are other options, albeit far worse ones, for Manny as well, already the whispers about Valero or a third fight with Marquez are emerging. Both would be a waste of time, but I wouldn't be hugely surprised.[/quote']

I agree,It is such a shame they will probably never get it on and i think Mosley will fight Floyd as he has wanted him for years and i think Floyd would win and Manny will have to scrape the barrell,As you say they do not seem keen to fight each other and i think it would actually be fairly boring,Manny is good when he can counter ie Hatton,Cotto and De La Hoya was just so slow he could attack and not even got hit back,This is Floyd Mayweather and manny would just throw and not break through the guard,They are the best two around by a country mile and i think they know that and can quite easily be remembered as great fighters and hall of famers and think they do not need to fight each other.

However' date=' if berto beats mosley, he will be rightfully in the mix with the best welterweights on the planet, i dont think he would get the chance of fighting pacman or mayweatehr, but he could possibly fancy a crack at cotto.[/quote']

True but i dont think he stands much of a chance tbh.

Pacquiao was just awesome. Absolutely breath-taking. I gave Cotto the first round' date=' but after that, he got absolutely hammered. Credit to Cotto though, who plowed on when many would have thrown in the towel and stuck it through to, almost, the very end. Also, did you see their two faces at the end? Cotto looked like he had been to and through a war, [b']while Pacquiao looked like he'd been for a light jog.[/b]

:D Very true. Agree though, enormous credit to Cotto, he deserved to hear the final bell. He's a warrior.

And I agree with you on the Mayweather point. Everyone would love to see it, but I sense that feeling as well. All the talk has come from the media speculating, rather than either camp talking up the possibility.

Thats what worries me, the opportunity was there last night to really set the wheels in motion and call Mayweather out, I don't think either camp thinks it's worth the risk to their legacy at this point.

Hes a quality up and coming fighter' date=' he has a good chance imo , mosley is rightfully the favourite though.[/quote']

I hope Berto wins, we need a new 'name' in that division really. The problem you have with Mosley is if he beats Berto and then goes after Mayweather or Manny, age is going to be catching up with by the time any fight rolls around. He's not going to get KO'd by either but is he still going to be as quick and powerful as he was against Margarito? It's going to be close to 18 months after that fight should he successfully call out either man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8361324.stm

The only one whos opinion actually counts in Manny does not seem to keen on the fight and i cannot blame him,Its right what about steward says about Mayweather and Manny has never fought a defensive boxer never mind one as good as Floyd,If he was serious about taking him on i would seriously ask Pernell Whitaker for some advice as his the only other person who knows Floyd weaknesses in his defensive shape other than Floyd himself.

Its probably all talk though and take this news with a pinch of salt