Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Great victory for Khan, I must say.

Of the lesser known fights tonight, Birmingham born Irish fighter Matthew Macklin beat Rafa Sosa Pintos of Uruguay. Although, tbf it was all Macklin but the Uruguayan can take some punishment! Through the whole 10 rounds he was just defensive and took some amount of shots. Hopefully this sets Macklin up for a World middleweight title fight soon... PS his promoter is Ricky The Hitman. :P

Good win for Kahn but lets be honest who here had heard of Salita?? Look through Salita's record and you will see he has beat nobody of any note, and whilst explosive and destructive in the nature of victory I dont really think it tellsus anything more about Amir that we dont already know hes fast, hes quick, he has punch power but we will have to wait till he gets properly tested as in the Kotelnik fight on a more regular basis before I make a judgement there are much much tougher tests ahead and he wont be fighting boxers who look like rabbits in the headlights all the time. Dont get me wrong he is a good fighter with the tools and potential to be great but that fight and that type of opponent tells us nothing IMO.

Fight of the night undoubtably was Mitchell v Prescott. Mitchell fought a wonderful fight against a bloke with enormous power much simillar in the way Haye beat Valuev jab, move and the odd combo thrown in leaving prescott frustrated as he spent most of the night hitting thin air. Just what he needed to elevate himself he has always been a skilled fighter but tonight was without doubt the best I have ever seen him box and he is ready to step up a level now, hope he gets a world title shotas he has the skills to pay the bills and boxing like that he has every chance

I Agree with a lot of what ray said, i am a huge amir khan fight and have seen him live before,i really believe he has the skills to be a great fighter over the coming years.It is correct that Salita was unheard of and a fight you would expect Khan to win, we must remember this was a mandatory defense and Khan had to take.Overall, a job well done.

Moving on to Mitchell, it was exactly what his career needed, a pure professional performance against the well known and highly overrated Prescott.Will be interesting to see where he goes from here, a world title shot?Perhaps. Not against Juan Manual Marquez i hope.

Great win for Khan and i think it is time for him to step it up a level,I think a fight with Kendall Holt or Timothy Bradley could be a good fight for Khan at this level,If he wants superfights which i dont think he is ready for just yet then i feel he will have to step up another division to welterweight,I cannot see him fighting Marquez as i dont see what he would have to gain by fighting him to be honest.

If he beat marquez he would become a boxing superstar, that would be however a tough assignment against the mexican legend, i think his fast hands could cause problems for the ageing marquez, but we mustn't forget he is one of the best p4p fighters out there even though FMJ destroyed him, albeit at a higher weight class.

I think timothey bradley would be a tough assignment or possibly victor ortitz, would both be good fights.there are still a lot of good fights at light welter before he even considers another move up imo.

If he beat marquez he would become a boxing superstar' date=' that would be however a tough assignment against the mexican legend, i think his fast hands could cause problems for the ageing marquez, but we mustn't forget he is one of the best p4p fighters out there even though FMJ destroyed him, albeit at a higher weight class.

I think timothey bradley would be a tough assignment or possibly victor ortitz, would both be good fights.there are still a lot of good fights at light welter before he even considers another move up imo.[/quote']

I think khan has the beating of marquez he has the speed and skills to outbox him and the power to keep marquez from getting in close it would not be easy but i think khan has it in him to beat marquez and he has a hell of a lot to gain by beating a fighter of marquez's caliber.

I think khan has the beating of marquez he has the speed and skills to outbox him and the power to keep marquez from getting in close it would not be easy but i think khan has it in him to beat marquez and he has a hell of a lot to gain by beating a fighter of marquez's caliber.

Got to remember marquez is one of the best counter punchers out there, and has fought people as fast as khan ( manny pacquaio). Albeit he was younger then and a khan v marquez contest would be a very interesting fight, but i believe he should have another fight against someone like , juan diaz, timothey bradley, victor ortitz etc

I wouldn't like to see him fight ricky hatton though, as i believe he would beat hatton, due to his phenomenal hand speed... would be a shame to see hatton go out like this... Rumours of a Hatton V Marquez fight also.

He may have the skill to beat Marquez but i dont think he has the temprament to beat him just yet,I feel Marquez is still class despite been handed a heavy defeat by mayweather and has more than enough power to beat and harm Khan and can cope with Khans speed lets face it he could cope with Pacman so Khan will be no problem,I dont feel he deserves these super fights yet either and should have to earn it rather than been given it on a silver plate,I think Timothy Bradley is a good young upcoming fighter and is quick and powerful,It means Khan can unfiy the division beat someone who has a top class CV and get plaudits all around for winning,I feel although he has fought decent opponents simply jumping into a superfight with Marquez in America is a huge risk and one at this stage is not worth taking,He has the media on his side now and fighting Bradley could make the bandwagon roll on whereas if he loses to Marquez then he can go back to square one and have the public on his back

I think losing to marquez wouldnt be a disaster, obviously depending on the nature of the defeat, and of course their would be the possibility of fighting him over in the UK.. i agree with what you say, he should have at least 1 , possibly 2 fights before this.... but im sure freddie roach no's what hes doing.

I really hope hatton stays retired he is no match for khan's speed and power at this stage of his career.Nate Campbell would be a good opponent for Khan a good name who the americans know well the 3 fighters MiddlesbroughFC mentioned are all fighting this weekend so they need to get the job done there before they can be considered for khan.

I just found this thread...

Reading through on what was said about Khan and for what it's worth I think ray1981 summed it up best

Good win for Kahn but lets be honest who here had heard of Salita?? Look through Salita's record and you will see he has beat nobody of any note' date=' and whilst explosive and destructive in the nature of victory [b']I dont really think it tells us anything more about Amir that we dont already know[/b] hes fast, hes quick, he has punch power but we will have to wait till he gets properly tested as in the Kotelnik fight on a more regular basis before I make a judgement there are much much tougher tests ahead and he wont be fighting boxers who look like rabbits in the headlights all the time. Dont get me wrong he is a good fighter with the tools and potential to be great but that fight and that type of opponent tells us nothing IMO.

I've seen Salita a handful of times. The following is a very fair assessment of the guy that Khan just destroyed... I wrote the following on the NFL thread on Sat.

And my ABSOLUTE TAKE-IT-TO-THE-BANK LOCK of the WEEK

Put your money on Khan tonight vs Salita.

Salita is a neat story...Orthodox Jew' date=' 31-0-1 record, fighting out of Brooklyn. But "a neat story" is all he is. I've been to a handful of his fights here in NYC and it is a crazy crazy scene. You think the Welsh are nuts when Calzaghe fights...They ain't got nothin' on the Hasidic Jews when Salita fights. They are IN-FRIGGIN'-SANE.

I think the guy could have been okay, but at some point his handlers decided that they were never going to put him up against anybody of ANY talent. I remember one fight I went to where the guy he was scheduled to fight had to backout 4 days before the match. So they bus some palooka up to NYC from Texas or Nebraska or somewhere like that as a replacement. That's right, I said BUS. Guy spends almost 2 days traveling on a cramped bus and then owns Salita for most of the fight before losing on points.

He's a pretty big guy with no speed and somehow zero power. Covers well enough, but can always get tagged early on. If you watch the fight tonight you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, this fight tonight will not go the distance.

EDIT:And for what it's worth I think Khan is a joke too, but at least he has skills

2nd EDIT: Khan beat Salita in 76 seconds...It says less to do with how "great" Khan is and far more to do with how pathetic Salita's handlers have been in manufacturing a 31-0-1 record with smoke and mirrors.... Anyway it was...Easy...Money....[/quote']

Anyway...I'm glad to find this thread and looking forward to a real test for Khan. He has enough skills there to be a good one, but I think he's still untested.

I really hope hatton stays retired he is no match for khan's speed and power at this stage of his career.Nate Campbell would be a good opponent for Khan a good name who the americans know well the 3 fighters MiddlesbroughFC mentioned are all fighting this weekend so they need to get the job done there before they can be considered for khan.

Indeed, i believe they will do the job this weekend though.... as for nate campbell im not sure if it would get the khan recognition he craves in a america, after all he quit after 3 rounds with bradley :pJunior witters conquer devon alexander could be another potential opponent for khan and he holds the wbc title.

Amir has also mentioned he would like to fight maidana, another possible match up. Overall there a lot of great fights out there in this division at the moment, i personally would like to se ehim fight bradley, or alexander.

I just found this thread...

Reading through on what was said about Khan and for what it's worth I think ray1981 summed it up best

I've seen Salita a handful of times. The following is a very fair assessment of the guy that Khan just destroyed... I wrote the following on the NFL thread on Sat.

Anyway...I'm glad to find this thread and looking forward to a real test for Khan. He has enough skills there to be a good one' date=' but I think he's still untested.[/quote']

I agree that he is un tested and we shouldn't get carried away with his win over salita. He does have a lot of potential and that is plain to see and it was a terrific performance. Lets remember though that this fight was a mandatory defence and therefore khan should not be criticised for fighting a "nobody"

Johnny agreeing with most of what i said...you are obviously a very intelligent man ;)

For what it is worth i think Khan would beat marquez as long as he stuck to a gameplan simillar to the fight against Kotelnik where he was very impressive and just used his boxing skills to get the job done and looked a very well rounded fighter against a guy in Kotelnik who not top top class is still a very hard, good respected fighter.

Personally i would prefer Khan to take on somebody like Ortiz as suggested as i think his style would match up well and then if he wants to crack America he HAS to fight marquez or a bigger American name such as Bradley who we all remember beat Witter pretty comfotably.

And as for Ricky hatton....God no......I said it over 2 years ago hatton is finished he should stay retired because if he comes back now he will never be able to get in proper shape he might be able to force himself down to the weight but he wont be fit. is last 2 defeats wernt just bad they were frighfully short and destructive he has earnt a lot of money and should stay retired, i like Ricky he is a good bloke met him a couple of times but he is gone as a fighter and should stay retired before he does himself some serious damage. We dont want him like a lot of boxers to go on for to long when time has already caught up with you.

Indeed' date=' i believe they will do the job this weekend though.... as for nate campbell im not sure if it would get the khan recognition he craves in a america, after all he quit after 3 rounds with bradley :pJunior witters conquer devon alexander could be another potential opponent for khan and he holds the wbc title.

Amir has also mentioned he would like to fight maidana, another possible match up. Overall there a lot of great fights out there in this division at the moment, i personally would like to se ehim fight bradley, or alexander.[/quote']

The bradley v campbell fight has been changed to a no contest now.Maidana knocked ortiz out in a war for the wba interim title and he has defended it so he is the logical choice.

Johnny agreeing with most of what i said...you are obviously a very intelligent man ;)

For what it is worth i think Khan would beat marquez as long as he stuck to a gameplan simillar to the fight against Kotelnik where he was very impressive and just used his boxing skills to get the job done and looked a very well rounded fighter against a guy in Kotelnik who not top top class is still a very hard' date=' good respected fighter.

Personally i would prefer Khan to take on somebody like Ortiz as suggested as i think his style would match up well and then if he wants to crack America he HAS to fight marquez or a bigger American name such as Bradley who we all remember beat Witter pretty comfotably.

And as for Ricky hatton....God no......I said it over 2 years ago hatton is finished he should stay retired because if he comes back now he will never be able to get in proper shape he might be able to force himself down to the weight but he wont be fit. is last 2 defeats wernt just bad they were frighfully short and destructive he has earnt a lot of money and should stay retired, i like Ricky he is a good bloke met him a couple of times but he is gone as a fighter and should stay retired before he does himself some serious damage. We dont want him like a lot of boxers to go on for to long when time has already caught up with you.[/quote']

I agree with a lot of this, and the idea he would stick to a game plan is a very valid point. Its easier said that done however, we have all seen the pacquaio v marquez fights and i am still undecided on who i think won( edging towards marquez), this illustrates the difficulty in sticking to a gameplan against the highly talented and highly intelligent mexican.

We must remember guys that amir is 22 ( 23 on Tuesday) and therefore has plenty of time to hunt down and fight the superstars of the division, like ive said before i think he should have a couple of fights against the very good fighters before he considers fighting the world class one (JMM etc)

The bradley v campbell fight has been changed to a no contest now.Maidana knocked ortiz out in a war for the wba interim title and he has defended it so he is the logical choice.

Is that official ? i new it was because of a headbutt i never really followed it up since. Maidana may be the logical choice but i would prefer him to fight alexander, as i think this would further enhance his reputation.

EDIT: yes just looked into this, and it is a no contest

For what it is worth i think Khan would beat marquez as long as he stuck to a gameplan simillar to the fight against Kotelnik where he was very impressive and just used his boxing skills to get the job done and looked a very well rounded fighter against a guy in Kotelnik who not top top class is still a very hard' date=' good respected fighter.

And as for Ricky hatton....God no......I said it over 2 years ago hatton is finished he should stay retired because if he comes back now he will never be able to get in proper shape he might be able to force himself down to the weight but he wont be fit. is last 2 defeats wernt just bad they were frighfully short and destructive he has earnt a lot of money and should stay retired, i like Ricky he is a good bloke met him a couple of times but he is gone as a fighter and should stay retired before he does himself some serious damage. We dont want him like a lot of boxers to go on for to long when time has already caught up with you.[/quote']

To be honest ray ortiz does not deserve a crack at a world title he was knocked out by maidana for the interim wba title and has his first fight since that defeat on saturday against antonio diaz if he comes through that i think he needs to beat another quality contender before he deserves a world title fight.

Is that official ? i new it was because of a headbutt i never really followed it up since. Maidana may be the logical choice but i would prefer him to fight alexander' date=' as i think this would further enhance his reputation.[/quote']

csac changed it to a no contest on the 24th of august mate so it is offcial.

To be honest ray ortiz does not deserve a crack at a world title he was knocked out by maidana for the interim wba title and has his first fight since that defeat on saturday against antonio diaz if he comes through that i think he needs to beat another quality contender before he deserves a world title fight.

Doesn't necessarily have to be for the title mate, although if it did take place it would usually be on the line. Are we also forgetting who beat Maidana;)