Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Unless you've got a spare 30 grand lying round for tickets off the black market you haven't got a chance mate. They'll be sold out in 30 minutes can guarantee it. I'm over in America next summer for the whole summer and was hoping it would take place then so i could nab myself a ticket in Vegas but i haven't got a hope now haha.

But yeah on the subject of the fight itself' date=' i've been saying this for years and people who have fought Floyd actually agree with me. The only way to beat Floyd is to wait for him to come to you, he's a counter puncher and if you go looking for him, he'll pick you off all night long. To beat him you have to produce the dullest fight the worlds ever seen because you have to wait for him and he's not going to come after you, simple as, and well... to be quite frank, he'd beat 90% of the fighters out there even if he did go on the offensive. The only thing that separates Floyd and a place in the top 10 of all-time is that killer instinct to go for the knockout. He'll happily win on points, he won't risk danger to put on a show.[/quote']

Unfortunately i haven't mate :P Im hoping they fight in Dallas's 80,000 seat stadium so i have a chance , wont hold my breath though, another huge problem is trying to persuade a couple of mates to go B)

Overall, i just hope FMJ gets the job done, which i expect he will.

Manny obviously did not want the fight and I just wish he said that earlier,I hope people give Mayweather some credit or Pacquaio some stick as it all seemed fine at the Mayweather end,the amount of stick Mayweather has got for avoiding fights is unbelievable and Pacquaio deserves the same now.

Don't believe the hype, it will still go ahead next year at some point. All this is just psychological posturing. Each of them trying to gain an advantage over each other. Mayweather with the blood tests and Pacquaio with the $10m over-weight business.

By the way Khan v Maidana is going to a purse-bid so that will be Khans next fight.

Don't believe the hype' date=' it will still go ahead next year at some point. All this is just psychological posturing. Each of them trying to gain an advantage over each other. Mayweather with the blood tests and Pacquaio with the $10m over-weight business.[/quote']

I kind of agree with this, but reckon that it is more to do with the fact that they're just trying to give the fight more exposure. The longer it takes for them to actually arrange the deal, the more the public will actually clamour for this fight. If and when it actually does come around, the publicity surrounding it is going to be huge - probably unlike anything we've seen in a long time. I wouldn't count this fight out just yet. Have faith.

Ricky Hatton has confirmed that he is coming back in 2010 !!!:D

On another note ' date=' Pacman vs Clottey will take place at the Cowboys Stadium in Dallas on March 13.[/quote']

Why is this a good thing?,he needs to lose around 3 stone before entering training camp and looked seriously ill fighting Pacman as he could not get down to the weight very well,call it a day Ricky and leave it at that.

Why is this a good thing?' date='he needs to lose around 3 stone before entering training camp and looked seriously ill fighting Pacman as he could not get down to the weight very well,call it a day Ricky and leave it at that.[/quote']

Hes still a top fighter imo , we all no the troubles around the camp before he fought pacman, lets not forget 6 months prior to the pacman fight we were all signing his praises , its to premature to right him off at this time imo.

Hes still a top fighter imo ' date=' we all no the troubles around the camp before he fought pacman, lets not forget 6 months prior to the pacman fight we were all signing his praises , its to premature to right him off at this time imo.[/quote']

I have to disagree,he actually looked Ill going into the Pacman fight,now there is only one reasonable explaination for this which is his constant change in weight over the years,look at Floyd Mayweather who after a 2 year lay off came back no problem,Sugar Ray Leonard came back after a 5 year lay off and did really well and beat Hagler,difference is throughout this time they kept themselves in shape unlike Hatton who may have to shed around 60 pounds which is over a 1/3 of his bodyweight.

I have to disagree' date='he actually looked Ill going into the Pacman fight,now there is only one reasonable explaination for this which is his constant change in weight over the years,look at Floyd Mayweather who after a 2 year lay off came back no problem,Sugar Ray Leonard came back after a 5 year lay off and did really well and beat Hagler,difference is throughout this time they kept themselves in shape unlike Hatton who may have to shed around 60 pounds which is over a 1/3 of his bodyweight.[/quote']

I can see your logic, however how do you no hatton wont be able to do the same after his two year lay off ? + the fighters you are talking about here are simply world class, some of the best names ever.

Of course his constant weight shedding is a concern, and perhaps it is catching up with him . But to right a fighter off , after one fight , is wrong imo .

I can see your logic' date=' however how do you no hatton wont be able to do the same after his two year lay off ? + the fighters you are talking about here are simply world class, some of the best names ever.

Of course his constant weight shedding is a concern, and perhaps it is catching up with him . But to right a fighter off , after one fight , is wrong imo .[/quote']

One fight?,Except Malignaggi who had not really done that much anyway he has fought really well once in about 6 years since Kosta Tzsyu,he was and could have been a top class fighter,I think he was too much of a lad though and did not focus as much on the boxing as he should have,because if he did focus then who knows.

One fight?' date='Except Malignaggi who had not really done that much anyway he has fought really well once in about 6 years since Kosta Tzsyu,he was and could have been a top class fighter,I think he was too much of a lad though and did not focus as much on the boxing as he should have,because if he did focus then who knows.[/quote']

Malignaggi is a top fighter at 140 pounds and ricky made him look very average,undoubtedly his best performance was against Kosta Tszyu, and that was his career defining fight... In my opinion he is still one of the best fighters to come from our shores in recent years..

He already said that he is going to fight a world champion, or a top ten fighter... I think he could beat anyone out there at 140, bar Amir khan perhaps..

Malignaggi is a top fighter at 140 pounds and ricky made him look very average' date='undoubtedly his best performance was against Kosta Tszyu, and that was his career defining fight... In my opinion he is still one of the best fighters to come from our shores in recent years..

He already said that he is going to fight a world champion, or a top ten fighter... I think he could beat anyone out there at 140, bar Amir khan perhaps..[/quote']

He really isn't that good. He's a good boxer but the fact he's only knocked out something like 5% of his opponents means he just cannot trouble fighters. To seriously trouble top fighters you need to have a decent punch that will make fighters wary of just walking straight in. The only reason Ricky beat him was because that is exactly the kind of fighter Ricky he is, he just walks straight through punches you throw.

On the Khan subject, he's fighting Maidana next who will give him some trouble but i still expect Khans blurring hand speed to take care of him.

But onto the Ricky conversation ....

Hatton has NEVER been a top fighter. Sorry but its true. He's the perfect case of like when an English player goes for ridiculous prices (Lescott) purely because he's English.

It's the same with Ricky, that's why he was so hyped up. Tszyu was coming to the end of his career when Ricky fought him, essentially like when Khan fought Barrera.

Alright, something for you guys anyway. Who do you think will be the top 3 breakout fighters this year? a list of 3 fighters you think will make a big statement this year, maybe that are on the verge of world-class.

Mine:

Andre Berto (I've followed this lad since the very start and I'm one of the few people who think he will actually beat Sugar Shane)

Andre Ward (Again, I've followed him since the Olympics and was one of the few non-Americans that actually had him down to beat Kessler, and i believe he'll go onto win the Super Six. Although i also love his fellow Olympian Andre Dirrell and personally believe he beat Froch, and he could also win the Super Six, especially if he can get by Abraham in his next fight.)

David Haye (He's a breath of fresh air in the Heavy's and i think he's definitely got what it takes to beat the Klitschko sisters especially after seeing Vitali against Johnson. He's got everything, he's got the power, the size, the physique and the looks and could definitely become the face of boxing in 2010 if he can get by the Klits)

He really isn't that good. He's a good boxer but the fact he's only knocked out something like 5% of his opponents means he just cannot trouble fighters. To seriously trouble top fighters you need to have a decent punch that will make fighters wary of just walking straight in. The only reason Ricky beat him was because that is exactly the kind of fighter Ricky he is' date=' he just walks straight through punches you throw.

On the Khan subject, he's fighting Maidana next who will give him some trouble but i still expect Khans blurring hand speed to take care of him.

But onto the Ricky conversation ....

Hatton has NEVER been a top fighter. Sorry but its true. He's the perfect case of like when an English player goes for ridiculous prices (Lescott) purely because he's English.

It's the same with Ricky, that's why he was so hyped up. Tszyu was coming to the end of his career when Ricky fought him, essentially like when Khan fought Barrera.

Alright, something for you guys anyway. Who do you think will be the top 3 breakout fighters this year? a list of 3 fighters you think will make a big statement this year, maybe that are on the verge of world-class.

Mine:

Andre Berto (I've followed this lad since the very start and I'm one of the few people who think he will actually beat Sugar Shane)

Andre Ward (Again, I've followed him since the Olympics and was one of the few non-Americans that actually had him down to beat Kessler, and i believe he'll go onto win the Super Six. Although i also love his fellow Olympian Andre Dirrell and personally believe he beat Froch, and he could also win the Super Six, especially if he can get by Abraham in his next fight.)

David Haye (He's a breath of fresh air in the Heavy's and i think he's definitely got what it takes to beat the Klitschko sisters especially after seeing Vitali against Johnson. He's got everything, he's got the power, the size, the physique and the looks and could definitely become the face of boxing in 2010 if he can get by the Klits)[/quote']

Got to disagree there mate, Malignaggi is a very good light welterweight, as seen in his win over Diaz lately. Yes he isnt a big puncher, but hes quick and is as tough as nails , and in fairness has only been beaten by world class fighters.

With regards to Hatton he was a top fighter, two weight world champion and the undisputed king at 140 pounds . To say he wasnt a very good world champion would be silly imo. He has only been beaten by the two best fighters of his generation, and i admire him for not ducking anybody out there.

As you mentioned, this is a big year for Andre Berto, i for one am looking forward to the mosely fight.One in which i feel he will lose.. Even though i like him a lot, i just think Mosley will just use his experience and outbox him.

My three fighter who i think will break through this year are :

Amir khan : Current WBA title holder and with the best trainer in the business. HIs fight with Maidana is currently going through purse bids so the date and venue is yet to be confirmed. Surely he will fight in the US some time this year. If he beats the big hitting Maidana which im sure he will, then i can see him going for a unification bout some time this year.

Winner of the super six : Had to sit on the fence lads :P Like Guerilla i was really impressed with Dirrell and thought he did beat froch, and he has the potential for a big year. Of course Andre ward put on a masterclass in beating Kessler ( head clashes a side), and if he can continue that form he surely will become a star. Then there's carl froch, so long under joe calzaghe and now he has his chance to shine, arguably lost to Dirrel and was losing to Taylor before his remarkable finish, but he has a granite chin and great heart, could this be his year ?

Devon alexander- Fantastic amateur pedigree and Undefeated as a pro, Scheduled to meet urango for a unification bout, watch the space!!

Got to disagree there mate' date=' Malignaggi is a very good light welterweight, as seen in his win over Ortiz lately. Yes he isnt a big puncher, but hes quick and is as tough as nails , and in fairness has only been beaten by world class fighters.

With regards to Hatton he was a top fighter, two weight world champion and the undisputed king at 140 pounds . To say he wasnt a very good world champion would be silly imo. He has only been beaten by the two best fighters of his generation, and i admire him for not ducking anybody out there.

As you mentioned, this is a big year for Andre Berto, i for one am looking forward to the mosely fight.One in which i feel he will lose.. Even though i like him a lot, i just think Mosley will just use his experience and outbox him.

My three fighter who i think will break through this year are :

Amir khan : Current WBA title holder and with the best trainer in the business. HIs fight with Maidana is currently going through purse bids so the date and venue is yet to be confirmed. Surely he will fight in the US some time this year. If he beats the big hitting Maidana which im sure he will, then i can see him going for a unification bout some time this year.

Winner of the super six : Had to sit on the fence lads :P Like Guerilla i was really impressed with Dirrell and thought he did beat froch, and he has the potential for a big year. Of course Andre ward put on a masterclass in beating Kessler ( head clashes a side), and if he can continue that form he surely will become a star. Then there's carl froch, so long under joe calzaghe and now he has his chance to shine, arguably lost to Dirrel and was losing to Taylor before his remarkable finish, but he has a granite chin and great heart, could this be his year ?

Devon alexander- Fantastic amateur pedigree and Undefeated as a pro, Scheduled to meet urango for a unification bout, watch the space!![/quote']

To be honest mate, when you don't know who Malignaggi fought it sort of takes away from your arguement for him. It was Juan Diaz he fought in a rematch. Victor Ortiz is the lad that lost to Maidana in one of the fights of the year.

He beat Diaz after losing to him earlier. If you look at his record, it's not a case of only losing to world class fighters but never having fought world class fighters tbh. He's only fought tough quite rugged fighters like N'dou, Ngoudjo and Cherry who he can dance around and know aren't really going to trouble him technically. When he comes up against anyone half decent he gets abused. The Cotto fight was brutal, but he again in the end got his **** handed to him.

Going onto Hatton, don't get me wrong i like him as a bloke but he's really not as good as the whole country would have you believe. He's an idiot in boxing terms. I mean have you seen him now? He's about 13 or 14 stone and he's thinking he's going to get down to the 140 or 147 to fight again? Even if he does he'll be like a ghost on fight night. Now, lets look at his record. Who has he fought that he's actually looked good against? Tszyu? Malignaggi? He got his **** handed to him off Collazo and i still haven't met anyone that thought he beat Collazo. He struggled against Lazcano who he should have destroyed and then there's the like of Castillo who was long past it. Then obviously the two disasters against Floyd and Manny. He really isn't all that. He's a brawler not a boxer, and i really hope he doesn't come back against one of the better fighters in the division like Alexander or Bradley.

I mean as well, it's all good saying 'he was the king of the 140lb div' ... but in a sense he was the king of his own castle. At the time he was considered 'king' of that division, there was no-one else in it. There was only Malignaggi and Witter.

and yeah some nice picks for your top 3.

To be honest mate' date=' when you don't know who Malignaggi fought it sort of takes away from your arguement for him. It was Juan Diaz he fought in a rematch. Victor Ortiz is the lad that lost to Maidana in one of the fights of the year.

He beat Diaz after losing to him earlier. If you look at his record, it's not a case of only losing to world class fighters but never having fought world class fighters tbh. He's only fought tough quite rugged fighters like N'dou, Ngoudjo and Cherry who he can dance around and know aren't really going to trouble him technically. When he comes up against anyone half decent he gets abused. The Cotto fight was brutal, but he again in the end got his **** handed to him.

Going onto Hatton, don't get me wrong i like him as a bloke but he's really not as good as the whole country would have you believe. He's an idiot in boxing terms. I mean have you seen him now? He's about 13 or 14 stone and he's thinking he's going to get down to the 140 or 147 to fight again? Even if he does he'll be like a ghost on fight night. Now, lets look at his record. Who has he fought that he's actually looked good against? Tszyu? Malignaggi? He got his **** handed to him off Collazo and i still haven't met anyone that thought he beat Collazo. He struggled against Lazcano who he should have destroyed and then there's the like of Castillo who was long past it. Then obviously the two disasters against Floyd and Manny. He really isn't all that. He's a brawler not a boxer, and i really hope he doesn't come back against one of the better fighters in the division like Alexander or Bradley.

I mean as well, it's all good saying 'he was the king of the 140lb div' ... but in a sense he was the king of his own castle. At the time he was considered 'king' of that division, there was no-one else in it. There was only Malignaggi and Witter.

and yeah some nice picks for your top 3.[/quote']

Simple mistake with the diaz mate, had just been watching ortitz vs maidana again :P

Tbh i think your seriously underrating ricky, yes Tyszu was well past it when he fought him, but at the time he was recognized by many as the best fighter at 140 pounds.. and after all you can only beat whos put infront of you ? With regards to his weight gain, indeed it is stupid, but that has what has won him all the support hes had over they years, as hes just one of the lads, goes down the local boozer etc..

Mallinaggi is a pretty decent fighter also and has put himself right back in the hunt for title with that win over Diaz, who in my opinion is a very useful operator...

Back onto Hatton, he has stated that when he names his opponent, he wil be a world champion or a top ten pound for pound fighter... JMM has been mentioned, and is a fight that i would love to see happen, i would fear for Ricky though because of JMM fantastic counter punching style. Khan has also been mentioned, IMO this wont be his next fight especially now Khan is being ordered by the WBA to face Maidana. In this fight though, i would fancy khan, purely because of his superior hand speed and boxing ability..Juan Urango has been mentioned also, but with him fighting Alexander in march im not sure whether it could be arranged, and if Alexander wins what happens then ?

Who do you think he will fight ?

But again, i go back to Hatton - who has he actually fought and looked good against? Like you said you can only beat the people in front of you but you're only as good as your last fight.

and with Malignaggi, it's not that i think he's completely useless. He's a great BOXER but he just simply hasn't got the power to trouble anyone at the very top and he's quick and nippy but his defence is suspect for someone that quick.

But i don't want to get into some OTT argument over either of them haha.

Who do i want to see him fight next? It's got to be Marquez really. It would be a hell of a fight but i think Hatton would come out on the losing side. Which tbh is worrying because this whole comeback is supposed to be one last hurrah really to go out on a winning note. But what if he does lose again? How many times is he going to come back? The Urango fight wouldn't interest me in the slightest to be honest, and i don't think there would be the demand for it on PPV.

Khan would be the big draw apart from Marquez but i don't think Ricky wants to take it tbh.

There's not really that many fights for him at 140. Nate Campbell maybe? Bradley and Alexander would embarrass him and i wouldn't want that, so they'd be out the question i imagine.

If he steps up to Welter (which judging by his size now would be more sensible) There would be a possible showdown with Cotto. Both coming off losses looking to end on a high note. Would be a tear up for the ages if that one happened.

But again' date=' i go back to Hatton - who has he actually fought and looked good against? Like you said you can only beat the people in front of you but you're only as good as your last fight.

and with Malignaggi, it's not that i think he's completely useless. He's a great BOXER but he just simply hasn't got the power to trouble anyone at the very top and he's quick and nippy but his defence is suspect for someone that quick.

But i don't want to get into some OTT argument over either of them haha.

Who do i want to see him fight next? It's got to be Marquez really. It would be a hell of a fight but i think Hatton would come out on the losing side. Which tbh is worrying because this whole comeback is supposed to be one last hurrah really to go out on a winning note. But what if he does lose again? How many times is he going to come back? The Urango fight wouldn't interest me in the slightest to be honest, and i don't think there would be the demand for it on PPV.

Khan would be the big draw apart from Marquez but i don't think Ricky wants to take it tbh.

There's not really that many fights for him at 140. Nate Campbell maybe? Bradley and Alexander would embarrass him and i wouldn't want that, so they'd be out the question i imagine.

If he steps up to Welter (which judging by his size now would be more sensible) There would be a possible showdown with Cotto. Both coming off losses looking to end on a high note. Would be a tear up for the ages if that one happened.[/quote']

I agree, i would love him to fight JMM and it would be a huge ppv draw, hopefully in England... The cotto fight would be an absolute war, but i just cant see ricky going straight back up and fighting at welter..I just wonder what rickys approach is going to be, as he said he wants to fights a world champ or top ten p4p fighter, and if he wins, then he is right back in the mix and can start calling out the top top dogs at welterweight..

Personally, i think, that it will be JMM at the city of Manchester stadium.. Would love that !

Amir khan joins Golden Boy Promotions' date=' cant blame him.[/quote']

Thank god for that,now he may fight some much better fighters ie Maidana next is a huge step up from what he was fighting before that,now he has Golden Boy with him he will be involved in all the big fights,whereas Calzaghe someone who stuck with Frank Warren did not have any real fight in the USA when Warren was in charge except Hopkins.

Andre Berto vs Shane Mosley is off, after Berto said that he was "physicaly and mental exhausted" following the Haiti earthquake...

Rumours are now rife that FMJ Vs SSM could be on the cards.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_5870462,00.html

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_5871134,00.html

It's Official! Pacquiao v Clottey, March 13th at Cowboys Stadium.

Tbh i couldn't even care, after the whole Mayweather business, Manny's gone down in my eyes and i know everyone has their own opinions on it, so i won't start up the argument again.

Fightnews - Mayweather v Mosley, MGM Grand, May 1st?

Golden Boy already has the May 1st date reserved and the March 13th date Mayweather was going to fight someone is now taken up by Pacman and they'd never put it on the same night.

Juanma Lopez and Yuri Gamboa both crushed their foes last night. Gamboa making quick work of Mtagwa who actually nearly upset Juanma in his last fight.

Both at Featherweight now so would love to see them to go at it.

EDIT: Arum Keen To Build Fight Profile Before Putting Them In Ring Together...