Sign in to follow this  
fadedwolfz

The Fadedwolfz Guide to SM

The Fadedwolfz Guide to SM

Having been an avid player of SM since early 2007, I believe I have played enough of the game to write a decent guide for the SM community. The only downside is that I'm not a GM, so I can't say much for GCs. Unlike other guides that are specific, I will attempt to do one according to my experiences and views. Well, enjoy!

For WCs

Starting out.

The most common scenario i see in WCs is that someone takes over a club, say Genoa. He splashes all the cash either on a single player, or on several players and ends up penniless when the season hasn't even started. He loses 3 games in a row.

And a few days later, you see this:

Geona manager ABC has decided to part company with the club after 3 games in charge.

Is that the way to play the game? Obviously not! So, I will start by telling you how to handle your finances.

Finances

When you take over a division 1 club in a WC, you will notice that you are given a transfer budget depending on the size of your stadium.

The Do Nots and WHY

Scenario 1) Do not splash all your cash on a single player. Say Barcelona puts Henry up for sale for 30m, and you happen to have a transfer budget of 30m. You would be tempted to bring him in yeah? Resist the temptation. Why? Because once you splash your cash, you WILL NOT HAVE ANY CASH LEFT FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON. Especially if you're a smaller club like CSKA or Sevilla or Porto compared to the giants. You will realise that you will not have any backups and decent players all over the pitch. Once injuries set in, you're dead.

Scenario 2) Do not simply splash your cash on players you think are going to rise, especially those that are predicted to rise by only 1 or 2 points. To put it simple, 'higher rated' players at smaller clubs, take for example a 82 rated one commands a high chairman value for that external club. But his value would drop significantly when he moves to your club. Take for example, Walter may be worth 2m for Internacional, but when he comes, he would only be worth 800k. When his transfer ban is up and he has risen by say 2 ratings, his value would still be less than what you paid (or maybe slightly higher). This wouldn't be good business.

Scneario 3) Do not be in a hurry to sell/buy. Let's say you hear that Lass Diarra is going to rise, don't go around spending your entire budget on him. In a day, you won't have any more money to spend. Linked to scenario 1.

So what do you do?

For scenario 1, don't be tempted by who you see is for sale on the transfer market. Examine and study your squad. Who is going to rise, stay, drop. Which positions need strengthening etc. Let's say you only have 3 forwards and play 2 up front, you would need 1 more as a backup. The general idea is to have at least 2 players for each position, with the backup player with be at least rated 88/89 to survive decently in a divsion 1 WC.

For scenario 2, you can either avoid buying these kind of players (the kind that only rise by 2 and that's it), or use your squad's fringe players to p/e them. You will notice that your squad's players will be worth much more if you p/e them to some external clubs. For instnace, Babel may only be worth 7m in terms of chairman value for Liverpool, but may be worth 12m to an external Argentinian club.

What do you have to do?

Get the big risers, at least by 4-5 would be ideal. This way, you would be generating future revenue and thus be assured that you would still have enough to spend when you run out of money. Avoid the +1/2, especially if these players cost a lot, unless they are future superstars.

Player ratings

Personally, I have divided the players into a few categories, so that I will know who to get, and who to try to get, as well as who to offload.

The 93/94+ stayers: These players are the ones that are extremely safe with their ratings, and you should have no hesistation

to either keep them, or to attempt to get them. These players could include the likes of Gerrard, Rooney, Alonso, Buffon, Frey etc

The 93/94+ youngsters, with unlimitted potential: These are the players that most clubs would keep, and incredibly difficult to get. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF SELLING. These players could include torres, ronaldo, iniesta, messi etc.

The 93/94+ oldies: They are generally safe at their ratings, and there isn't much of a point trying to sell them because you can't get much out of them. So, stick with them unless you cannot afford to pay their wages. These players could include: VDS, Del Piero, Raul, Zanetti, Senna etc.

The 93/94+ droppers: These are the players that many people would hurry to sell. I don't have any opinion on them, but you could either sell them for pure cash (about 3 times the chairman's value) if you are in possession of them, or avoid buying them if you don't. These players include Nesta, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldinho etc

The 89/90-92+ stayers: These are the players that a div1/2 WC club shouldl attempt to get. Because they are safe at their ratings, and they are relatively cheaper than the superstars. They won't do badly either and can be great backups. These players could include Bruno Alves, Carrick, Seydou Keita, Yaya Toure etc.

The 89/90-92+ risers: Yes, these are the players you should be getting. They will rise, boost your team's rating, and you could even sell them in future for a hefty profits. They would include Lass Diarra, Melo, Raul Albiol, Glen Johnson, Fletcher, Malouda etc

The 89/90-92+ droppers: Get rid of them asap for the above two categories. Once they drop, their value would significantly drop and most clubs won't be interested in them. An easy way to tempt other managers would be to offer two 90+ droppers, for say an 89 riser. For example, giving away Miguel for Glen Johnson would be smart.

The future superstars - Try your best to get them, but don't pay over the odds. Players like Delac, Keirrison, Bojan, Ramsey are all wells sought after. But don't spend too much, because they won't make it to your first team any time soon, and building a stable starting 22 should be your priority.

The big risers - Get the cheap ones (the 70-75s). Use p/e for the more expensive ones (78-86). Avoid them if you need to pay too much. For me, more than 5m for any player under 85 would be ridiculous at the start when you don't have lots of cash to spend.

Building your team:

I have had experiences building clubs from div 4 to div 1 and have been pretty successful. The general guideline is to establish a solid starting XI to win the division first. For me, a division 1 team should be about 90-91 starting XI to thrive, 88-90 for div 2, and at least 87 for div 3 and 4.

Step 1:

Build a stable XI using your cash.

Step 2:

Get the risers, lower rated players to sell after TB is up and higher rated players that can make it to your team in the near future. Players like Sakho, Kjaer would be perfect for your backline beacuse you don't have to worry about the future defence once you get them.

Step 3:

Once you have a solid looking team of around 22 players, you would have won half the game. Next, patience.

Step 4:

Start improving your team's rating, first the XI, then the reserves. This could be done either by using the profits from your risers, or giving 2 for 1. So, what is 2 for 1? The idea, simply, is to get a highly rated player by giving away 2 of your players. For instace, I managed to buy Quaresma (when he was 93) for Jorgensen and a 88 defender a long time ago. Normally, tempt the other manager by offering a direct player as a replacement (in my case jorgensen to replace quaresma) and another player which he lacks ( a defender in this case). This process could be repeated. When I knew Quaresma was gong to drop, I offered him and Barnetta for Ribery, and da dah, you have gotten Ribery starting out with Jorgensen. This step is perhaps the hardest and the longest, but it is possible definitely.

Step 5:

Also, have lots of cash as reserve when u get into season 3 onwards. Because many mangers will start quitting the game, for some reason, and you will have to fight with the likes of Barca and Utd for the highly rated players of these clubs.

Tactics:

Having been so long on the game, there are still tonnes of tactics which I have not yet experimented or tried. But my conclusion is avoid formations that are lopsided. EG. 4-3-3 is not stable because of its lack of players in midfield. Any other formation with 4 or 5 players will overrun your team. 4-2-4 is not good because of the same reason. 3-4-3 is also not advised because of the lack of players in defence and midfield.

I have had most of my successes with 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 for some reason or another.

Do not ever tick all the boxes under team instructions because that will only confuse the players. I normally go for hard tackling, attacking mentality, mixed passing and attacking, fast tempo. Counter attack, men behind ball and tight marking are all used to stablise the backline. And depending on whether a forward or a midfielder is your best player, tick either playmaker or target man. You can choose not to as well. (I have just leaked my receipe for success, oops)

So, the arrows, where on earth do you put them?

Strategy 1: Do not use any.

or

Strategy 2: Use them appropriately. Don't over-use the arrows. (this is just a general guideline)

For 3-5-2.

for the DM, pull the arrow back.

for the wingers, pull the arrows forward.

for either one if the CM, pull the arrow diagonally forward. I would normally place an AM in this slot so that he can make

the forward runs to help in the attacks.

For 3-4-1-2.

for the wingers, pull the arrows forward.

for the AM, pull the arrow directly forward as well.

4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 have also worked for me as well, but I only use them when the above strategies fail, or when I have the appropriate players Fullbacks are normally problematic players to get, that's why I avoid 4 men defence unless I can get them/already have them. The team instructions are exactly the same. But I have also noticed that some experienced players

minimise the use of team instructions for 4-4-2.

Normal for everything, and only counter attack is ticked. It seems to work well too.

Another point to note, try not to change your formations to counter your opponent's. Especially when you have been winning games on the trot. If it aint broken, why fix it? There isn't any difference between home and away games too.

For domestic leagues:

The strategies are generally the same, but you can afford to transfer list your entire team to generate more money. Sell your highest rated players first, before moving down to the lower rated ones. This way, you can generate more money because of the chairman value factor. (Caleb is extremely experienced in this aspect)

For clubs in lower divisions, you may need to repeat the cycle of buying and selling risers, because it won't give you enough transfer budget on your first try. Do not attempt to be impatient and go for the superstars after just 1 round, for example.

Because you won't have any more to invest. I took at least 3 rounds for my Bradford City before hitting an average XI of 90.

Keep yourself updated.

Knowledge is power. Because the way player ratings work are relevant to what happens in the real world, keep yourself updated on the happenings of players by either reading the news, watching highlights, or asking the experts on what is happening.

soccernet.com is perhaps the most reliable website for the epl and most of the major european leagues. It also offers stats that may be helpful to you.

guardian.touch-line.com is another stats website that you could use to predict player ratings.

footytube.com is an excellent website to view the highlights of the various leagues all over the world. My favourite :D

Several threads on the forum are also excellent to keep yourself updated, as well as to ask the experts.

A few would include:

French football here.

Russian football here.

Portuguese football here.

Bundesliga here.

Brazilian football here.

Argentinian football here.

Finally, a word of advice: So having been through pretty much of the game, the best advice I have for you is patience. Rome is not built in a day, neither is a great SM team! :D

cheers

Re: The Fadedwolfz Guide to SM

Reserved for QnA

Q: How many players should I have in my team?

A: I reckon 25-30 would be ideal. Because you would have more than 2 players for each position, and be able to vary with formations as well when things are not going well.

Reserved for QnA

Hi mate

great guide

just one question. from your experiance who is the best team to start with in a new English Champ not inclueding Man u chelsea arsenal liverpool man city villa and spurs?

Hi mate

great guide

just one question. from your experiance who is the best team to start with in a new English Champ not inclueding Man u chelsea arsenal liverpool man city villa and spurs?

you could start with a team either with a large stadium to generate revenus, or with many players to sell for an EC. Newcastle would be good for div 2, and Leeds would be good for div 3.

cheers

Reserved for QnA

Q: How many players should I have in my team?

A: I reckon 25-30 would be ideal. Because you would have more than 2 players for each position' date=' and be able to vary with formations as well when things are not going well.[/quote']

you could start with a team either with a large stadium to generate revenus' date=' or with many players to sell for an EC. Newcastle would be good for div 2, and Leeds would be good for div 3.

cheers[/quote']

thanks mate

would u advice to sell most players

or just keep with the same players and add 4/5 decent players

thanks mate

would u advice to sell most players

or just keep with the same players and add 4/5 decent players

sell them all' date=' from the highest rated to the lower rated to generate as much revenu as possible. But keep the youngsters, because they have the potential to rise, and won't be worth mucn anyway.

i think caleb's everton can give u a good idea on why you should sell :D You can find the thread here.

cheers

sell them all' date=' from the highest rated to the lower rated to generate as much revenu as possible. But keep the youngsters, because they have the potential to rise, and won't be worth mucn anyway.

i think caleb's everton can give u a good idea on why you should sell :D You can find the thread here.

cheers

thanks mate

have nowtaken over a new newcastle and took your advice to put all bar youngsters for sale

is it best to buy youngsters middle aged or golden oldies?

thanks mate

have nowtaken over a new newcastle and took your advice to put all bar youngsters for sale

is it best to buy youngsters middle aged or golden oldies?

buy players that are going to rise, which will help you earn profits after their TB are over. (although u can keep some of them)

this could be a team u can buy.

asenjo

pique - vermaelen - cissokho

ozil - lass diarra - melo - bastos

hulk - falcao/dzeko/grafite

just a suggestion though

cheers

bidded for 11 players who will all rise hopefully batos. pablo hernandes and marchisoare the highest rated also santon and pastore are another couple of good ones

will definatley get pique when i get the cash

and maybe dzeko and falcoa too

any opinions on this guide?

Good guide mate, now i know what im doing now as i never adjusted to opposition and lost my game tonight because of it. Im tempted to try a 3-5-2 however in the DM i can only play a CM and could i play a FWD/AM in CM?

Also whats the best way to out play a 4-3-3. More Midfield or Def?? 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1. I think maybe you could show what each formation does and how to counter each one. I always lose with 4-2-3-1 and i love this formation.

Good guide mate' date=' now i know what im doing now as i never adjusted to opposition and lost my game tonight because of it. Im tempted to try a 3-5-2 however in the DM i can only play a CM and could i play a FWD/AM in CM?

Also whats the best way to out play a 4-3-3. More Midfield or Def?? 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1. I think maybe you could show what each formation does and how to counter each one. I always lose with 4-2-3-1 and i love this formation.[/quote']

use a 4 or 5 men midfield to outplay a 4-3-3 because you will get more possession with more men in the middle. I reckon 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 would be great counter-formations.

for 4-2-3-1, try agressive tackling defensive mentality with counter attack. It has worked for my Real Murcia.

and no no don't play a fwd/am in CM. Because the primary formation is a forward, the player won't be able to play well in midfield.

cheers

Hey I dont understand :s I have applied everything you have said, I used 3-5-2 and 3-4-1-2 between all my 14 clubs but I didnt even get one win??? I got a lot of draws though! And its not that my players are not good! So I dont know what to do now??

Hey I dont understand :s I have applied everything you have said' date=' I used 3-5-2 and 3-4-1-2 between all my 14 clubs but I didnt even get one win??? I got a lot of draws though! And its not that my players are not good! So I dont know what to do now??[/quote']

3-5-2 attacking mentality?

i guess u have to be patient and use the same formation over a period of time, like 15-20 games before u see the effect.

don't place ur players in the wrong positions too. Like placing a F/AM in midfield or a DM/D player in defence.

afterall, the match engine cannot be relied on too much :D

use a 4 or 5 men midfield to outplay a 4-3-3 because you will get more possession with more men in the middle. I reckon 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 would be great counter-formations.

for 4-2-3-1' date=' try agressive tackling defensive mentality with counter attack. It has worked for my Real Murcia.

and no no don't play a fwd/am in CM. Because the primary formation is a forward, the player won't be able to play well in midfield.

cheers[/quote']

Cheers i will go with 4-4-2 due to my lack of DM in 3-5-2. Is it okay to play wingers in the midfield as Valencia always plays **** with no-body else to play RM with a high rating

Also what tactics would you use also my rating are dominated Div 2 and most clubs are unmanaged

Hey If I want to play a 4-2-2-2 formation with my inter' date=' what tactics should I have?[/quote']

personally i haven't gone for a 4-2-2-2 formation before. But I guess u could use the same tactics for 3-5-2. Mainly attacking mentality, hard tackling, mixed for the rest, counter attack and either playmaker or targetman.

not too sure about the results though.

cheers

Ok thx' date=' Just wondering whats the difference between hard and normal tackling? cause I get way to many suspensions with hard tackling.[/quote']

i suppose u will be able to get slightly more possession with hard tackling. In fact, I go for aggressive sometimes in 4-2-3-1 as well. But yeah, the downside is the suspensions.

Hey I know this isnt really the place to ask' date=' but I know you know everything :P so whats going to happen to tsacis rating? That cb from stagart. I am swapping 2 30 year olds rated 88 and 89 for him.[/quote']

i'm not the bundesliga expert, but from what I have been reading he has the potential to go up further. Don't think there is a high chance for him to rise now, but he has the ability to. U could read through the bundesliga thread for more info.

I think it's a decent deal.

cheers