The Daily Debate

pthame 3d

Re: The Daily Debate

I reckon, if all of our keepers were fit and in form, I'd say five goalkeepers would be in contention, they would be:

David James

Paul Robinson

Rob Green

Ben Foster

Scott Carson

As for a permanent No.1 keeper, I'd plump for Foster in the long run, if not injured. Currently, I'd give Carson a few friendlies, then use him as No.1, but I'd use Robinson for now. If McClaren has faith in him, then I certainly do. He had a good game against Israel, although he had not much to do.

PS... Thanks Kev, for bringing this back up. If you'd care to post new ones each day, I'd appreciate it :)

I reckon' date=' if all of our keepers were fit and in form, I'd say five goalkeepers would be in contention, they would be:

David James

Paul Robinson

Rob Green

Ben Foster

Scott Carson

As for a permanent No.1 keeper, I'd plump for Foster in the long run, if not injured. Currently, I'd give Carson a few friendlies, then use him as No.1, but I'd use Robinson for now. If McClaren has faith in him, then I certainly do. He had a good game against Israel, although he had not much to do.

PS... Thanks Kev, for bringing this back up. If you'd care to post new ones each day, I'd appreciate it :)[/quote']

No probs Paul,btw has anyone else noticed that this thread does not come up in the sub sections,so when a post is made in these sections this post becomes buried:confused:

Maybe some of the mods could take a look at this?

are you seriously saying that cole gerrard terry rooney owen e.t.c are 1 trick ponies?

I like J.Cole if he was faster he would be great. Rooney, Terry and Gerrard are overrated by the media and all are 1 dimensional players who can only shoot, pass, volley etc. Don't listen to the media. And Lampard is a joke. He's exactly what Chelsea need but 1 dimensional. And Owen ain't worth mentioning. What has he got apart from instincts? Same goes for Alan Shearer's, Beckhams and SWP's.

I like J.Cole if he was faster he would be great. Rooney' date=' Terry and Gerrard are overrated by the media and all are 1 dimensional players who can only shoot, pass, volley etc. Don't listen to the media. And Lampard is a joke. He's exactly what Chelsea need but 1 dimensional. And Owen ain't worth mentioning. What has he got apart from instincts? Same goes for Alan Shearer's, Beckhams and SWP's.[/quote']

hmm, think you should watch the style of play instead of just slander them because there english.

being a chelsea fan theres 4 players i disagree about there.

John Terry. look what happened to chelsea when he was injured. Born leader and a true englishmen.

Frank Lampard for me has a way better work rate than the likes of Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo. Still Englands CM.

Joe Cole, a bit faster? you want smoke coming out of his rear end? from what i see of him defenders struggle to catch him.

finally Shaun Wrigh-Phillips. best English player and best player in the premiership at this moment in time and will take Beckhams position soon. Wrighty is proud to be his father right now and im proud we have him on my club and national team.

TODAYS DEBATE

Wednesday 12th Sept 2007

Sunderland's FA Cup final hero Porterfield dies

Wed 12 Sep, 01:02 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Ian Porterfield, Sunderland's 1973 FA Cup final scoring hero, has died from cancer at the age of 61, the Premier League club confirmed on Tuesday.

Porterfield scored the winning goal against Don Revie's powerful and overwhelming favourites Leeds United side in one of the biggest FA Cup final upsets in the history of the competition.

His defining moment came after 30 minutes when he killed a clearance on his left thigh before smashing the ball into the roof of the net with his right foot past Leeds goalkeeper and fellow Scot David Harvey.

It was the only goal of the game and meant Sunderland became the first side from the old Second Division to win the cup for 42 years.

He stayed at Sunderland for another 10 years before moving to Sheffield Wednesday and beginning a long and varied coaching career.

His most recent post was as national coach of Armenia, but he was diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this year.

Porterfield replaced Alex Ferguson as coach of Aberdeen in 1986 and also had spells in club management with Chelsea and Reading before appointments that took him around the world.

He coached Zimbabwe, Zambia, Trinidad & Tobago and Oman, and also worked in South Korean club football.

"His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football," Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was quoted as saying on the BBC.

"It isn't long ago when he was coaching in Korea that I spoke with him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United."

Sad story to reflect on in todays debate,i am old enough to remember this Cup Final:o.This to me is what football is all about when an underdog can become a winner.However in todays game this is becoming a bit of a rarity,Is this type of upset likely to occur again or have multi-million pound squads put an end to this happening again.

From recent memory the only other upset that was like this was when Wimbledon beat Liverpool in the Cup Final.

Is the day of the underdog gone? or are we going to see something like this happpening again?

Thoughts please:)

I think with clubs premiership/european clubs becoming Boys toys for million/Billionaires the day of the underdog will die out.

However, there have been upsets etc in the Champions league in recent history, Bayern Leverkusen reaching the final, Monaco's progression in the champions league and obviously Porto winning it. Although these are goood teams they were under dogs against some of the other opposition.

Another example could be Milwalls run to the FA cup final :)

To be honest, i can see the gap between the lower and higher leagues just getting bigger and bigger, due to the money. Which ultimately will make an upset a rarity.

Euro 2008 - Early Doors - Your morning briefing

Eurosport - Thu, 13 Sep 09:27:00 2007

Never usually one to get caught up in the invariable national hysteria which follows a couple of decent England results, Early Doors simply cannot help it this time round.

2992553864.jpgMore Stories

All hail King Heskey! Praise to Prince Michael! O magnificent leader Steve, we bow down to you!

Easy there, there is still a home banker against Estonia to mess up yet. But even so, the two 3-0 wins over Israel and Russia over the past few days have put England firmly in the box seat to qualify for Euro 2008, albeit in second place, and the aforementioned three heroes have had a great deal to do with it.

He may not have added to his five international goals since his recall to the side five days ago, but Heskey has certainly proved two things; firstly, that he can do a job at the highest level; and secondly, that football fans are incredibly fickle.

Heskey's physical style caused all sorts of problems for both the Israeli and Russian defences and he acted as the perfect foil for old pal Owen, who clearly revelled in his role alongside the Wigan striker. Three goals in two games from little Michael and he is once again looking like a world class goal machine.

But the irony was not lost when the biggest cheer of the evening at Wembley roared out as Heskey departed the pitch to be replaced by Peter Crouch. Was it not the same fans (and perhaps even the same daily column?) who were mocking the hulking forward's inclusion only last week?

Why exactly, we cannot quite remember. All we see now is a strike partnership that can fire England all the way to Austria and Switzerland.

McClaren must be enjoying his cornflakes this morning; without actually having made a bold decision, he can take credit for Heskey's - and subsequently Owen's - return to international prominence. We will just forget that he did not really have any other reasonable option.

What will be interesting to see now is whether our Leader is brave enough to stick with his winning side for the remaining qualifiers once Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Owen Hargreaves, David Beckham and Gary Neville return from injury.

This story just says it all,What are your opinions on who will be in the next England teams?

Is there room for any of these big names once they are back from injury and who will be the causuallites.?Heskey?SWP?Barry?Joe Cole?Who would you drop?

Opinions please:)

Seems Mcclaren has finally stumbled on the right formula purely by elimination.

Whether Shrek and Lamps *** strait back in will be debated in the media from now until the estonia game but hopefully Mcclaren will make the right decision,whatever that may be.

Englands number one put the goalkeepin debate on the back burner for another while with two confident displays and the 2 clean sheets givin him an excellent record of only 2 goals conceded so he cant be that bad ;)

Still a bit of work to be done but if they keep this form they should qualify easily enuff.

Superb result for the Scots and they now sit above the 2 world cup finalists and look to hav a great chance to make switzerland.

its not easy takin over an international team midway thru a campaign as nigel worthington has found out at Norn Iron but big Eck deserves great credit for carryin on the momentum from walter smiths days and the spectre of Bertie Vogts is dissapearin with every great result.B)

Norn Iron losin again was no big surprise and the dissapointment at Worthingtons surprise appointment will now turn to anger and frustration after they didnt pick up a point from away days at Latvia and Iceland ending their slim hopes of qualification.

Wales and the Republic of Ireland couldnt rise to the occasion against 2 world class teams and it will be Germany and the Czechs who move on from the group.

TODAYS DEBATE!!

Premier League - Early Doors: Your morning briefing

Eurosport - Fri, 14 Sep 09:19:00 2007

Footballers are usually a tight-knit bunch who are, and have always been, expected to stick up for their mates when faced with trouble. Not so Keith Gillespie, who seems to be making a habit of fighting with his team-mates.

4198003425.jpgMore Stories

His alleged attack on fellow Northern Ireland player George McCartney on a plane in Iceland the other day got Early Doors thinking about some other famous bust-ups between team-mates.

Here, we bring a selection of the best from recent times.

Graeme Le Saux and David Batty 1995 - On one of the most shameful nights of Blackburn's history, the pair went at it on the pitch during a Champions League tie against FC Spartak Moscow. Le Saux recently lifted the lid on the bust-up - which involved both players trading blows by the touchline - revealing he did not snap because he was subjected to homophobic abuse (as had been assumed for some time) but rather due to the simmering tensions at the club as Rovers tried to come to terms with the fact that they were simply one-season wonders.

Keith Gillespie and Alan Shearer 1997 - The Northern Irish winger proved his form back in '97 when he came to blows with then team-mate and Newcastle club captain Shearer outside a nightclub. The story goes that Gillespie was flicking bottle tops at Shearer who told him that if he persisted he would give him "a good hiding". He didn't stop and Shearer was true to his word - Gillespie ended up in the gutter outside with blood pouring from his face.

Eyal Berkovic and John Hartson 1998 - Welsh loon Hartson gained a certain amount of notoriety for volleying want-away midfielder Berkovic's head as if it were a football during a West Ham training session. Gruesome photos of the incident were published by newspapers in the morning although Hartson remained unrepentant for his act of violence. "If he wants a transfer he should go and speak to the manager and not go around dishing the dirt on me and blaming me for him wanting to leave," he said.

Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer 2005 - Another amusing on-pitch punch-up, made even funnier because it could not have happened between two more, er, agreeable characters. The Newcastle pair clashed at Villa Park, Bowyer having his shirt ripped as blows were exchanged before Gareth Barry was forced to step in to break them up in the absence of any willing Toon player. Apologies were forthcoming at a later date, but only to the fans and the club, not to each other.

Bradley Orr and Louis Carey 2006 - When Bradley Orr head-butted Bristol City team-mate Lewis Carey Orr during a game against Northampton, he rightly saw red. But his week was to get far worse when days later, Orr was jailed with two other City players for their involvement in a night-club brawl.

Joey Barton and Ousmane Dabo 2007 - Barton allegedly attacked Manchester City team-mate Dabo after falling out on the training ground last season. Barton denies the charges brought against him, although surely Dabo did not pick up those cuts and that black eye from falling down the stairs? The Magistrates Court will decide whodunit in early October, although Barton does have form - he once stabbed a cigar out in the eye of youth team player James Tandy

Footballers are seen as roll models for todays youth,should this kind of action be condonned or is there an over reaction in the media to this kind of action?

Thoughts please:)

Todays debate

Big Sam Hoping Owen's Form Continues

Sat 15 Sep, 09:09 AM

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce is hoping Michael Owen maintains his knack of scoring when his team needs it most as he returns to domestic action.

The 27-year-old headed back to Tyneside having taken his international goals tally to 40 with three in two games for England against Israel and Russia to mark his return to top form.

He joined up with Steve McClaren's squad having opened his season's account for the Magpies with the first goal in a 2-0 Carling Cup victory over Barnsley and then a late winner to condemn Wigan to Barclays Premier League defeat at St James' Park.

That took his tally in a black and white shirt to nine in 18 appearances since his £17million switch from Real Madrid in August 2005, and Allardyce is hoping his talent for scoring vital goals continues as Newcastle head for struggling Derby on Monday evening.

He said: "He did it against Wigan and he did it against Barnsley to get us on the way.

"He is a great goalscorer and he scores very, very crucial goals. Instead of scoring when we are 3-0 up and making it four, he generally scores when you need him to.

"Certainly his ratio for conversion of chances over the last two games for England is up dramatically.

"He had a couple or three chances against Barnsley and he had maybe three or four against Wigan and got one; he had fewer for England and scored in every game.

"He has scored three in two matches and his ratio now has rocketed up to one goal in two chances and two goals in three chances, which is exactly what somebody like myself needs and Newcastle United need to continue our undefeated run."

That run extends to five games to the start of the season, and that is something Owen and Allardyce would dearly love to preserve as they attempt to increase promoted Derby's woes.

The Rams lost 6-0 at Liverpool last time out and will be intent on restoring their battered pride, but Newcastle will arrive determined to inflict more misery.

Owen will at least have a couple of extra days to get over his England exertions, although with Mark Viduka fit after a hamstring injury and Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi itching for a chance, competition for places is intense.

Martins in particular has staked a claim in his last two appearances, coming off the bench to score against Barnsley and then providing the cross for Owen's crucial strike against Wigan.

Allardyce said: "There is a difficult situation for me there because Oba is not going to be totally satisfied if he is on the bench too long.

"I have to manage that situation like I have with all the other squad players who expect to be playing rather than not.

"I hopefully can manage that as well as I possibly can and keep all the players as happy as I can, and then when they do get an opportunity to play, they grasp that opportunity and make life difficult for me to leave them out again."

As Owen hits the 40 club for England,Do you think he will be classed as Englands greatest footballer? or Do Charlton,Lineker,Shearer to name a few have a greater claim to this title?

TODAYS DEBATE.MON 17TH SEPT 2007

JOL.I WILL SURVIVE.

Martin Jol insisits he is going nowhere amid widespread rumours he has just six games to save his Tottenham job

SpursMartinJol_570134.jpg

Jol: Remains defiant

Martin Jol insists he is going nowhere amid widespread reports that he has just six games to save his Tottenham job.

When his side took the lead in Saturday's North London derby the Dutchman must have felt the tide was turning in his favour, only for a stunning Arsenal fight back to leave him contemplating the consequences of a 3-1 defeat.

Speculation over Jol's position in the capital has been rife since the start of the season, with Spurs' miserable form manifesting talk of a swoop for highly-rated Sevilla incumbent Juande Ramos.

And, in light of recent results, rumours of a similar nature are beginning to resurface, with the latest reports suggesting Jol has been handed six games to prove he still the man to take the club forward.

Daniel Levy, Tottenham's chairman, has backed his manager publicly but whether Jol still has the full support of the club's board remains subject to conjecture.

Is the pressure to suceed getting too much for top managers in the Prem or other top leagues?

Views please:)