ELI SABIA, Filho (82) - 8.0D

Insider

ELI SABIA

SANTOS

eli.bmp

Need to know

Eli Sabia is a defender who has just turned 21 (late August). He is Brazilian-Italian, and has already made the trek to Europe, when he was on loan at Lausanne (Switzerland). He has taken over the CB spot from Fabiano Eller, who transferred to Internacional, and has played 90 minutes in 13 games in a row, rounds 15 to 28. This also corresponds with the beginning of Vanderlei Luxemburgo's time in charge of Santos.

His Story

A youth product of Paulista FC, Eli Sabia started playing well in mid-2007 as an 18 year old. That's when he got the chance to test out a new partnership. In July of 2007, Pedro Henrique and Eli Sabia were loaned out to Lausanne in the Swiss Challenge league to gain a bit of experience. The first season, as an 18/19 year old, he played 27 full games, impressing a lot. Next, in the first half of the 2008/09 season, he started all 15 games for Lausanne.

He then transferred back to Paulista at the end of the agreement and starred. He played in the Campeonato Paulista this season and was one of the highlights. In time for the beginning of the Brasileirao, he was transferred to Santos alongside Felipe Azevedo. He never got in Vagner Mancini's good books, but when Vanderlei Luxemburgo took control and Fabiano Eller was shipped out, Eli immediately piped out Adailton, Andre Astorga and Paulo Henrique for the starting CB spot. He has started in 14 straight games, only picking up 2 yellows. He also has an assist to add. He has never been subbed out.

Edu Dracena is the new signing, he will probably command a spot. But until he recovers from injury, Eli will keep playing. It wouldn't surprise me to see Vanderlei go 5-4-1 either, with the players Santos have.

Strengths

He is a big body who is solid defensivly. He doesn't do anything particulary well, but he can contribute in every aspect. His headers were very useful in the offensive area for Lausanne, and he needs to make himself seen more in Brazil. His tackling is very good, as his discipline record shows.

Weaknesses

Needs to improve his footwork on the ball. He's ok with the safe balls, but it would be nice if he could develop a Mario-like long-bomb to spring the likes of Neymar, Madson and Paulo Henrique on a counter attack.

It'll depend on Vanderlei, but I don't see a way that he could be benched after the way he's playing. He should finish the season at 84/85.

• 2 months later...

Re: ELI SABIA, Filho (82) - 8.0D

I can't believe you received no posts on this guy :confused:

Any scout you make deserves a shout in my book!!

Is he still likely for a +2 rise and whats his future potential?

Cheers

An update? He finished the season strong, still undisputed starter, and Santos turned his loan into a permanent contract.

Still due for a +2/+3.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Riferimento: ELI SABIA, Filho (82) - 8.0D

Hi, I read some of your awesome scouting posts, I lost a bargain for bonucci (£4,7m) at the last minute, I was wondering which CB bid on then (considering long term and maybe next rise)...from your posts, i thought of dalton moreira, sabia and xandao...have any advice?