IMPORTANT - Tactic Formation "Breaktime"

str8jackit

Hi!

I've been watching many managers playing this game, and there is something that i realised:

"THE TACTICS FORMATION HAVE A BREAKTIME"

...at least that's what it seems so... :confused:

I've seen 9 teams always playing with the same tactic formation and winning all the time... until the last 5 or 6 games of season... wich ones they always start loosing them, also with the same tactic, wich cost them the championship at the end, going down vfrom 1st to 2nd or 3rd.

I'm afraid this is going to happen to me soon, i've always played 3-5-2 since the beggining of the season and won all games, but if what I state is true, soon this statistic is going to be lost.

Can anyone check if this "breaktime" of a tactic is true?

many thks

Re: IMPORTANT - Tactic Formation "Breaktime"

Hard to say if it's "true" although the same happens to me all of the time. ie As a rule of thumb 3-5-2 beats 4-4-2 however every now and again 3-5-2 will lose game after game to 4-4-2. Your bad patch can be at the start of the season or the end however at some stage the dreaded change will happen. I guess a couple of issues kick in.

1) In real life if you play the same way then opponents get wise to it and adapt...ie the first 10 games under Scolari, Chelsea were fantastic and playing more exciting footie than even the likes of Arsenal. All of a sudden Chelsea start drawing with clubs outside the top 4 and losing at home to those within the top 4. The tactics change and then all of a sudden Chelsea are winning again. In SM maybe the same logic applies...ie play the same way for "x" games and then all of a sudden you'll lose as your opponents have "got wise". Obviously in an SM world your opponent is more often than not the AI hence maybe the AI get's intelligence forcing managers to actually manage their teams.

2) Under the old engine Non managed clubs played 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 was the best defence. Under the new engine unmanaged clubs play 4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3 etc and whilst 3-5-2 generally works against 4-4-2 it's not necessarily the default defence against 4-3-3 as 4-3-3 provides 3 attackers against your 3 defenders.

Personally when I start to see a pattern emerging with a particular defense then I'll change my tactics. I've 12 teams and 11 generally play 3-5-2 (the other plays 4-3-3 wingers as I lost game after game with 3-5-2 hence changed). As and when 3-5-2 starts to lose games that I should be winning then I'll change, maybe playing 3-4-1-2, 4-3-2-1, 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 (wingers). I then give my revised opening 5-6 games and then revert back to 3-5-2 if needs be.

Most of the leagues I'm in are not actively managed hence I don't subscribe to the belief that the opposing manager has changed tactics and that's why you / I lost. Very rarely do i see any manager who will chop & change depending on opponent, indeed I rarely do this myself as setting a team and substitution policy becomes very time consuming if you change your formation every game.

Re: IMPORTANT - Tactic Formation "Breaktime"

Hi!

I've been watching many managers playing this game' date=' and there is something that i realised:

"THE TACTICS FORMATION HAVE A BREAKTIME"

...at least that's what it seems so... :confused:

I've seen 9 teams always playing with the same tactic formation and winning all the time... until the last 5 or 6 games of season... wich ones they always start loosing them, also with the same tactic, wich cost them the championship at the end, going down vfrom 1st to 2nd or 3rd.

I'm afraid this is going to happen to me soon, i've always played 3-5-2 since the beggining of the season and won all games, but if what I state is true, soon this statistic is going to be lost.

Can anyone check if this "breaktime" of a tactic is true?

many thks[/quote']

Yes I can confirm this is correct. I've noticed this several times.

I'm into my third season with Liverpool, the first season I took a 19 point lead with 31 games gone with Wigan and Chelsea level on points. I played 3-4-1-2 all season and built up a big lead. From turn 31 onwards I only picked up 2 more points all season playing the same formation and beat Chelsea to the title by 2 points, they won all but one of their final seven games.

Season 2 followed a similar vein, I played 4-4-1-1 after a bad start with 3-4-1-2, by turn 29 I was again miles ahead, 21 points ahead of my nearest rival, this time Man Utd. I won 1 game and drew 4 from the final 9 and Man Utd finished just behind me. If not for a big lead in both seasons I would have lost.

I have 4 teams and I’ve noticed something similar with all 4, I came a real cropper with my Aston Villa side and ended up losing the league on the last day of the season after leading all the way though, which didn't annoy me much at all!!!

:mad: