Primera División de Argentina

andyowls

Re: Primera División de Argentina

Hiya' date=' Can anyone give me any information on Mauro Formica? will he rise drop or stay in future rating changes? i am asking as i have been offered 10 million for him, any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance ;)[/quote']

Has a shot at 87 next time round. I'm 50/50 whether he'll get, possibly leaning towards him staying at 86 at the minute. Long-term, he's a good player who will get a chance abroad. Whether he'll make the most of that chance is up for debate...

2010 Apertura

Round One Goals/Round-up

Friday, August 6th 2010:

Arsenal de Sarandi 1-2 Lanus

NClkX1lTaSU

Arsenal de Sarandi 1-2 Lanus.

Lanus got the better of Arsenal in the Apertura's curtain-raiser by the odd goal in three. Marcos Aguirre danced into the penalty and fired home emphatically to gift the visitors a half-time lead. Augustin Marchesin's weak attempt to keep out Mauro Obolo's effort shortly after the break proved futile and granted the hosts a route back into the game. However, Guido Pizarro stabbed home from a corner to get El Granate up and running with three points.

Saturday, 7th August 2010:

Quilmes 1-1 Colon de Santa Fe

5T8kANQMx3o

Quilmes 1-1 Colon de Santa Fe.

Quilmes managed a draw in their return to the top division, but went behind just before half-time against Colon thanks to Esteban Fuertes finally deciding to prod the ball over the line following a manic goal-line scramble. However, the home fans went home happy as Juan Morales found himself free at the back-post to slot home a last-gasp equaliser.

Argentinos Juniors 1-2 Huracan

80I7_B_SvJM

Argentinos Juniors 1-2 Huracan.

Argentinos started the Apertura the way they ended the Clausura by opening the scoring against Huracan, with Gonzalo Vargas clipping the ball past Gaston Monzon for a debut goal and a half-time lead. However, the summer exodus that has occured at the Diego Armando Maradona stadium became apparent in the second half as Huracan hit back earn victory. Mariano Martinez took advantage of a lucky break in the penalty box to fire level, before Cesar Montiglio fired past Nicolas Navarro midway through the half to seal the win. Gabriel Perez saw red for the hosts soon after to compound their misery.

Newell's Old Boys 0-1 Estudiantes La Plata

q7VHC9Eq66A

Newell's Old Boys 0-1 Estudiantes.

Estudiantes were gifted an opening day win when Gabriel Cichero foolishly handled the ball inside the area, with Juan Sebastian Veron smashing home the resultant penalty.

Racing Club 1-0 All Boys

HTWGjTibLuE

Racing Club 1-0 All Boys.

Racing Club got their campaign off to a steady, if not spectacular start, by defeating All Boys by a solitary goal. Defender Lucas Aveldano got it in the second half, finding himself in acres of space in the area after the ball had ricocheted in his direction, and he made no mistake from six yards. Claudio Yacob saw himself sent for an early bath late on, but Racing held on for the win.

Sunday, 8th August 2010:

Banfield 2-1 Olimpo

nCW_WHqTMkY

Banfield 2-1 Olimpo.

Olimpo got their return to the Primera A off to a flying start at Banfield by scoring after a whopping 18 seconds, with Alejandro Delorte stealing in ahead of Enrique Bologna to nod into an empty net. However, the reigning Apertura champions exerted their authority by hitting back to lead before the half-time interval. Walter Erviti smashed a penalty straight down the middle before Cristian Garcia headed home from a set-piece, and that's the way it stayed.

River Plate 1-0 Tigre

lbZMZReshHU

River Plate 1-0 Tigre.

River Plate started the season on a bright note in terms of the result, although Tigre will feel hard done by to lose to such a late winner, courtesy of Rogelio Funes Mori who headed home after excellent work from Ariel Ortega.

Gimnasia La Plata 0-0 San Lorenzo

Gimnasia La Plata and San Lorenzo played out a lifeless draw. Not much else to say...

Velez Sarsfield 1-0 Independiente

FsLPxpUE7ls

Velez Sarsfield 1-0 Independiente.

Velez Sarsfield dominated proceedings against Independiente, and should really have won by more. Santiago Silva got the only goal of the game before the break by rising highest to head home Maxi Moralez's sublime, looping cross. Julien Velazquez saw red for a second bookable offence for the visitors after the interval.

Godoy Cruz 1-1 Boca Juniors

aAF424y5j9M

Godoy Cruz 1-1 Boca Juniors.

And the final game of the weekend saw Godoy and Boca share the spoils in an even game. Full-back Roberto Russo took advantage of a sleeping Matias Gimenez to nip in at the back post and grant the hosts the lead, but Lucas Viatri responded soon after with a fine goal, chesting the ball down, turning and striking the ball home with aplomb.

Well, I realised today that SM have included Argentina on the list of countries to be reviewed in the near future, so I guess it's time to get us some predictions. I've kicked us off with the Clausura champs, Argentinos Juniors, and you can see the full lowdown on that team on the very first page. I'm gonna try and get Arsenal done as well tonight and keep up that pace of two teams per day. I'm gonna be bold with my predictions and predict an exact figure for each one - none of these "slashes" this time around, so there's a lot of pressure on me this time! I'm either wrong, or I'm right. Let's see how I do. :P

While I'm here, this is the full line-up of the weekend's action:

Friday, 13th August 2010:

01:15 - Colon de Santa Fe v Banfield

Saturday, 14th August 2010:

18:15 - Boca Juniors v Racing Club

20:15 - Lanus v Newell's Old Boys

22:20 - Tigre v Arsenal de Sarandi

00:20 - San Lorenzo v Godoy Cruz

Sunday, 15th August 2010:

18:15 - Huracan v River Plate

20:15 - All Boys v Velez Sarsfield

22:20 - Estudiantes La Plata v Quilmes

00:20 - Olimpo v Gimnasia La Plata

Monday, 16th August 2010:

23:10 - Independiente v Argentinos Juniors

All times are BST.

Torneo Apertura 2010

2w1t5ac.png

Round Two Goals/Round-up

Friday, August 13th 2010:

Colon de Santa Fe 0-1 Banfield

The opening match of the weekend saw Banfield maintain their 100% start to the Apertura, while Colon continue the form that saw them end the Clausura in a dreadful state. Cristian Garcia got his second goal in as many weeks as he came off the bench to see El Taladro to victory. Walter Erviti, who had a fine game for the visitors, sent over a corner as the game was entering it’s latter stages, and Victor Lopez’s near-post flick-on was stabbed home by Garcia at the back-post. Colon were left to rue their glaring misses in the first-half, with Federico Higuain and Esteban Fuertes the guilty parties.

Slb1idz1zLM&feature=player_embedded

Colon 0-1 Banfield (extended highlights)

Saturday, August 14th 2010:

Boca Juniors 1-2 Racing Club

Lanus 1-1 Newell’s Old Boys

Tigre 1-2 Arsenal de Sarandi

San Lorenzo 2-2 Godoy Cruz

Miguel Angel Russo became just the second ever Racing manager to walk away from La Bombonera with all three points in two successive trips last weekend, as his side defeated Los Bosteros by the odd goal in three, who continue to stutter despite all their off-season moves. They had to do it the hard way, however, as the hosts took an early lead as Lucas Viatri sent a lovely, looping header past Roberto Fernandez after Clemente Rodriguez had teed him up from the left. But La Academia hit back to level before the break as a cross swung in from the right by Patricio Toranzo was flicked on and bundled in by Claudio Yacob at the back post. One of the Boca newboys then found himself at fault for the second – and winning – goal as Clemente Rodriguez trod on the ball inside the area. Marcos Caceres leaped on to the opportunity in a flash and struck home a sweet, left-footed effort into the top corner of Cristian Lucchetti’s net, giving Racing the perfect start to the season. My Apertura bets have started nicely.

The points were shared between El Granate and Los Leprosos in a fiery game that saw both sides end the game with ten men. Lanus took an early lead when Maximiliano Lugo found himself with acres of space and time (thanks to a delightful pass from Gudio Pizarro) to measure an inch-perfect cross on to the head of the unmarked Santiago Salcedo, who couldn’t miss with the goal gaping. However, the visitors replied shortly before the break as Mauricio Sperdutti struck a sublime free-kick into the top corner from 22 yards out. As half-time approached, the hosts were reduced to ten men as the referee took offence to Marcos Aguirre’s tackle on Leandro Velazquez, before Newell’s levelled the playing field shortly after the break; Sperdutti the man to go for a second bookable offence.

Arsenal picked up their first points of the season after an opening day defeat, as they picked up a good win over Tigre. El Viaducto took an early lead when a long punt forward from the back was poorly dealt with by the Tigre defence. Luciano Leguizamon took full advantage by hitting a sweet volley past Daniel Islas in the Tigre net. The home defence continued to show signs of utter disarray as Leguizamon raced through on goal to double the advantage. Midway through the second half, the hosts got back into the game as Ramiro Leone stabbed the ball back across goal for Denis Stracqualursi to easily slot home, but the visitors held on for the win.

Godoy Cruz proved that they remain a tough outfit to beat as they came away from Buenos Aires with a point against San Lorenzo, although they will feel like they ought to have left with all three. However, they went behind early on as a corner from the right was inadvertently flicked on by a Godoy defender, with Cristian Tula pouncing with a powerful header. But El Tomba reacted just before the break with Cesar Carranza slipping in David Ramirez to level the scores at the interval. Omar Asad's half-time team talk got the visitors going as they raced out of the blocks to score within the opening minute of the second period. Ramirez was again the scorer, unleashing a low, well-struck effort that squeezed inside Damian Albil's left-hand post. And they would have held on to the win had it not been for a horrendous error from Godoy's 'keeper, Nelson Ibanez. Diego Rivero's cross/shot towards the near post squirmed underneath the body of Ibanez to leave him feeling red-faced, and San Lorenzo with a point.

ZL3AefhfKsI&feature=player_embedded

Saturday’s goals

Sunday, August 15th 2010:

Huracan 0-1 River Plate

All Boys 1-2 Velez Sarsfield

Estudiantes La Plata 2-0 Quilmes

Olimpo 1-0 Gimnasia La Plata

River picked up a second successive 1-0 victory to give them the start to the season they so desperately needed, what with them hovering dangerously above the automatic relegation places as things stand. Angel Cappa, the River boss, was greeted with a hero's welcome on his return to the Huracan, after he almost led them to the Clausura title in 2009. But they weren't cheering so loud 11 minutes into the contest as Facundo Affranchino scrambled home the only goal of the game, following terrific work by Rogelio Funes Mori to set him up. Ariel Ortega was sent off in the second-half for elbowing Marcos Britez Ojeda, but Huracan couldn't take advatage of the extra man in the closing minutes.

A vociferous crowd greeted All Boys to their first home game in the top division this season, but they found themselves up against tough opposition in Velez, who went home with all three points. Maxi Moralez got the ball rolling in the first half with a delightful free-kick from 20-yards out, which Nicolas Cambiasso - the All Boys 'keeper - could only watch and admire. Moralez was again involved for the second just before the break as he set-up Juan Manuel Martinez to double El Fortin's lead just before the break. Late on, Fernando Sanchez got the hosts back into the game as he nodded home from close range after and ingenious over-head kick from Mauro Matos. Unfortunately for the new boys, it turned out to be just a consolation.

Estudiantes felt themselves anything but at home as they were forced to play their home tie against Quilmes at....Quilmes! (Estu are currently ground-sharing with Quilmes whilst their stadium is under-going construction work) But it didn't phase the side as they picked up a second consecutive victory, as well as a second consecutive clean sheet, although they were made to work hard by the 'visitors'. It took 81 minutes for El Pincha to break the stubborn defence of Quilmes - and more specifically 'keeper Emanuel Tripodi. But when Hernan Lopez played in Rodrigo Brana, the advancing midfielder took his chance well by chipping the ball past the advancing Tripodi. Late on, Ariel Broggi brought down Lopez in the area, and he picked himself to score the resultant spot-kick.

Sunday's late game saw another of the new team's host their first match of the campaign, against a team who could have been playing second tier football next season if it wasn't for a play-off victory, Gimnasia La Plata. And it was Olimpo who chalked up the first three points of the season out of the promoted teams, thanks to a narrow victory. The only goal of the game came from defender Marcelo Mosset, who struck home a loose ball from a corner midway through the opening half.

FpvrhRoWZ1w&feature=player_embedded

Sunday's goals

Monday, August 16th 2010:

Independiente 1-1 Argentinos Juniors

Monday night saw two of the teams who clashed for much of the Clausura that has just past, although there was nothing between the two sides on this occasion. The visitors took an early lead when full-back Gonzalo Prosperi cut inside, layed the ball off, continued to venture towards the box and shot home into the top right-hand corner when the ball kindly broke to him. However, El Rojo were back on level terms within moments as a lovely, looped ball over the AJ defence was matched by Federico Mancuello's well-timed run, and the youngster made no mistake in shooting past Nicolas Navarro. The score remained the same until the final whistle, although Paraguayan midfielder Nestor Ortigoza earnt himself an early bath during the second-half.

jfG4GnqjmFg

Independiente 1-1 Argentinos

League Standings:

POS. Club......................PL – PTS (GD)

1. Estudiantes La Plata....2 – 6 (+3)

2. Velez Sarsfield............2 - 6 (+2)

3. Racing Club................2 - 6 (+2)

4. Banfield.....................2 - 6 (+2)

5. River Plate..................2 - 6 (+2)

6. Lanus........................2 - 4 (+1)

7. Arsenal de Sarandi.......2 - 3 (0)

8. Olimpo.......................2 - 3 (0)

9. Huracan.....................2 - 3 (0)

10. Godoy Cruz...............2 - 2 (0)

11. San Lorenzo..............2 - 2 (0)

12. Boca Juniors..............2 - 1 (-1)

13. Argentinos Juniors......2 - 1 (-1)

14. Newell’s Old Boys.......2 - 1 (-1)

15. Independiente...........2 - 1 (-1)

16. Colon de Santa Fe......2 - 1 (-1)

17. Gimnasia La Plata.......2 - 1 (-1)

18. Quilmes....................2 - 1 (-2)

19. All Boys....................2 - 0 (-2)

20. Tigre........................2 - 0 (-2)

Top Scorers:

Two goals:

Cristian Garcia (Banfield)

Lucas Viatri (Boca Juniors)

Luciano Leguizamon (Arsenal de Sarandi)

David Ramirez (Godoy Cruz)

31 players on 1 goal

Round Three Fixtures:

Friday, August 20th 2010:

11:15 - Banfield v Estudiantes La Plata

01:15 – Newell’s Old Boys v Tigre

Saturday, August 21st 2010:

18:10 – Quilmes v Lanus

20:15 – Velez Sarsfield v Argentinos Juniors

22:20 – Godoy Cruz v Olimpo

00:20 – Racing Club v San Lorenzo

Sunday, August 22nd 2010:

18:15 – Gimnasia La Plata v Colon de Santa Fe

20:15 – River Plate v Independiente

22:20 – Arsenal de Sarandi v Huracan

00:20 – All Boys v Boca Juniors

All times are BST.

Do you know much about one of Banfield's signings: Gabriel Mendez? Bought him as a riser in Ecuador and he goes and moves to Banfield!

Afraid not. Until he plays for them and I actually see him play, then I can't really enlighten you too much. I know he used to play for Racing as a kid, but that was before I followed Argentinian football and it was only a few substitute appearances anyway. Might be worth asking Tom?

Afraid not. Until he plays for them and I actually see him play' date=' then I can't really enlighten you too much. I know he used to play for Racing as a kid, but that was before I followed Argentinian football and it was only a few substitute appearances anyway. Might be worth asking Tom?[/quote']

Thanks anyway.

Respuesta: Primera División de Argentina

bauman no está jugando

galeano UP

viatri UP

lamela =

clemente rodriguez se fue a boca... =

villalba = or down

Manuel Lanzini UP UP uP.. play 1 team river next week. 90'

erbes not playing this moment. suplente down

erramuspe UP

guido PIZARRO UP UP UP UP! great player. titular, player very important lanus

afranchino up up

boca "CAñete" - great player - big future - next riquelme (create?)

david ramirez (godoy cruz) up up up

salinas (godoy cruz ) up

santiago garcia (banfield) UP UP

leguizamon (arsenal) up

patricio rodriguez DDOOOWWNNN not playing (inddependiente)

acevedo (up) river

alexis ferrero river - up up

juan neira - big promese de gimnasia de la plata

other palyers UP:

funes mori, almeyda, viatri, ortigoza, caruzzo, mercier, maxi moralez,

martinez (velez), WOW

diego rivero, Ismael Sosa, Gabbarini, formica, castaño, bieler, erviti,

sorry mi english

Torneo Apertura 2010

2w1t5ac.png

Round Three Goals/Round-up

Friday, August 20th 2010:

Banfield 0-0 Estudiantes

Newell’s Old Boys 2-0 Tigre

Two sides who you’ll likely see at the top end of the standings come the end of the Apertura played out a fruitless draw in Buenos Aires on Friday evening. Banfield probably looked the more likely to score on the whole, with Cesar Taborda being called into action on two occasions. Walter Erviti was again in great form, and although the hosts threatened to press after the introduction of Cristian Garcia, El Pincha’s defence stood firm. The Banfield backline was rarely troubled, with only the odd long range strike from Juan Veron and the dodgy handling of ‘keeper Enrique Bologna worth worrying about. A fair result in a rather uninspiring game.

Newell’s got their Apertura off and running with their first win of the campaign, but were made to work hard by a dogged Tigre outfit. In a niggly game, the referee dished out 11 yellow cards, and Tigre’s Gonzalo Vera received two of them before the first-half was over. Newell’s capitalised immediately with Marcelo Estigarribia’s free-kick being nodded in by skipper Rolando Schiavi, beating the hapless Daniel Islas to the ball, deep into first-half injury-time. The visiting manager, Ricardo Lombardi was not a happy man and let the referee know exactly what he thought at half-time - he had to watch the remainder of the game from the stands. In truth, Newell’s were flat throughout and only Estigarribia and Mauro Formica provided any sort of spark in the side. El Matador’s defence looked firm before and after the goal, with only Islas’ handling skills being cause for concern. Late on, and with neither side looking like scoring, Cristian Trombetta followed Vera to the locker room for an early bath with a cynical challenge for his second yellow. And as Tigre pushed on in vain as they got a rare free-kick in their opponents half, Newell’s broke swiftly. Formica played a neat ball through to substitute Luis Rodriguez, who had an age to time his run, collect the ball, pick his spot and score his goal. Probably a just result in terms of the numbers of men on the field, but had it been 11v11, Tigre would have fancied their chances of getting a point against this rather toothless Newell’s side.

JGu4LNXgNjM&feature=player_embedded

Friday's goals.

Saturday, 21st August 2010:

Quilmes 1-1 Lanus

Velez Sarsfield 2-0 Argentinos Juniors

Godoy Cruz 1-0 Olimpo

Racing Club 1-2 San Lorenzo

Lanus maintained their unbeaten start to the Apertura, but could only muster a point in their game against Quilmes. The hosts took the lead early on when Santiago Hirsig shook off the attentions of Hernan Grana to put in a beautiful cross into the box, and Juan Morales was the man who flicked the ball beyond new Argentina International squad member Augustin Marchesin in the Lanus net. However, El Granate were granted an immediate route back into the match just five minutes later when Quilmes’ ‘keeper, Emanuel Tripodi played an dreadful ball forward, landing right at the feet of Santiago Salcedo. The forward couldn’t believe his look at he knocked the ball forward and clipped the ball past the on-rushing Tripodi. After that, a rather even game was played out. Quilmes shaded possession in the first-half, while the visitors had the better of the opportunities in the second, but a draw turned out to be the fair result.

Argentinos’ fall from grace continued this weekend as they, predictably, failed to take anything away from their trip to Liniers. Velez remain a strong outfit and a force to be reckoned with, although they were made to work hard for their victory. The deadlock was broken in the second half when a high, 50/50 ball inside the area was contested by Juan Manuel Martinez and Gonzalo Prosperi. The former got there first, while the latter could only succeed in raking his opponents shin. Penalty to the hosts, and Leandro Somoza stepped up to send Nicolas Navarro the wrong way from the spot. Five minutes later, Santiago Silva doubled the advantage and in turn made the game safe by squirming the ball home at the back post from an Emiliano Papa corner. Santiago Gentiletti received his marching orders soon after to compound the Clausura champions misery.

Godoy Cruz picked up their first three points of the Apertura from their clash with Olimpo, although their game wasn’t as close as the scoreline might suggest. The hosts controlled proceedings throughout and spurned several chances to make the winner margin larger, often being denied by Laureano Tombolini in the Olimpo net. It was, however, a mistake from the visiting goalkeeper that helped El Tomba break the deadlock shortly before half-time. Nicolas Olmedo’s shot from distance could only be beaten out by Tombolini, straight into the path of Ariel Rojas who made no mistake on the follow up.

Racing’s off-season moves and early season form has their fans in Avelleneda dreaming of Apertura glory, but they were brought down to earth this weekend in their second “big five” clasico of consecutive weeks. San Lorenzo were the visitors on Saturday evening and they were keen to pick up their first victory of the campaign to kick-start their season. They gave themselves the perfect start midway through the first half through Guillermo Pereyra who, despite having to stretch for the ball, still managed to fire past Roberto Fernandez from over 20 yards out. Racing hit back 10 minutes after the break, with Pablo Luguercio hitting a terrific effort from all of 30 yards out, going in off Damian Albil’s right-hand post. All in all, a close game deserved a draw, so it was hard on La Academia when Sebastian Balsas netted with a superb winner five minutes from time, looping a header home from a Juan Manuel Torres corner.

VmNlwObeCUA&feature=player_embedded

Saturday’s goals.

Sunday, August 22nd 2010:

Gimnasia La Plata 0-0 Colon de Santa Fe

River Plate 3-2 Independiente

Arsenal de Sarandi 2-0 Huracan

All Boys 2-0 Boca Juniors

GLP played their third consecutive game without scoring, while Colon continue to look a shadow of the side that did so well last Apertura (although they are going through somewhat of a transitional period). Their game on Sunday was pretty dull and event-free - forgive me for glossing over this one.

After a tumultuous couple of years for River Plate, could we finally be seeing them return as one of Argentina’s powerhouses? It’s still early days but the initial signs are promising as Los Millonarios produced their best display of the Apertura so far. They were superb in the opening half against Independiente, who struggled to cope with their opponent’s intensity, as well as the vociferous El Monumental crowd. The hosts got off to the perfect start when, from a corner, Jonatan Maidana’s shot was going wide before it was steered in by the lurking Rogelio Funes Mori. In a fast a furious start to the game, El Rojo hit back shortly after, with Lucas Mareque putting in a cruching tackle on Diego Buonanotte, before playing a beautiful ball over the top for Nestor Silvera to run on to. The frontman latched on to the ball inside the area and hit a first-time, left-footed half-volley which Juan Pablo Carrizo couldn’t keep out despite getting his fingertips to the ball. However, River were back in the lead within moments as Manuel Lanzini clipped a delightful ball through to Funes Mori, who again succeeded in beating Adrian Gabbarini from close range despite slipping when he shot and being a good yard offside. River refused to let up on their shell-shocked opponents and made it 3-1 by the mid-point of the first-half. Lanzini was again the provider laying the ball on to the over-lapping Paulo Ferrari, with his shot squirming underneath the body of Gabbarini. River had chances to extend their lead, but were unable to maintain their momentum over the break. Inde got a fortuitous late goal to give them hope, as Federico Mancuello’s header rebounded off the post, into Carrizo’s face and back into the net for an own goal. However, a stoppage-time save from the former Argentine international ‘keeper denied the visitors an unworthy point.

Arsenal picked up another three points from their match with Huracan to give them a bright start to the Apertura. Juan Krupoviesa swung in a free-kick from the left after 16 minutes, and Mauro Obolo was on hand to rise highest at the back post, doubling his tally for the season. His partner in crime, Luciano Leguizamon, notched his third strike of the campaign during the second half with a penalty, after he himself was tripped inside the area. And boy, what an emphatic way to score from the penalty spot!

And finally, it’s just not a round-up if we can’t update the latest failings of Boca Juniors. As much as their bitter rivals, River, are showing signs of progress from their recent slump, Boca are showing no signs whatsoever. In truth, their match against All Boys was well balanced for much of the first-half, although neither side looked like breaking the deadlock anytime soon. That was until Mauro Matos burst free in the area, and he just nicked the ball beyond Cristian Lucchetti before the former Banfield man sent him tumbling. Matos picked himself to give All Boys and unlikely lead. And if the home fans couldn’t believe it then, then they must have been utterly delirious as they doubled the lead shortly before half-time. Boca’s defensive frailties were again apparent as they conceded from a set-piece; Eduardo Dominguez was granted a free header from Juan Pablo Rodriguez’s corner. After the break, you would have expected a reaction from Los Bosteros, but it never came as the came petered out, and the hosts eased to their first victory of the season.

FFIs4lxRb2A&feature=player_embedded

Sunday's goals.

League Standings:

POS. Club.......................PL - PTS (GD)

1. Velez Sarsfield.............3 – 9 (+4)

2. River Plate..................3 – 9 (+3)

3. Estudiantes La Plata.....3 – 7 (+3)

4. Banfield......................3 – 7 (+2)

5. Arsenal de Sarandi.......3 – 6 (+2)

6. Racing Club.................3 – 6 (+1)

7. San Lorenzo................3 – 5 (+1)

8. Godoy Cruz.................3 – 5 (+1)

9. Lanus........................3 – 5 (+1)

10. Newell’s Old Boys.......3 – 4 (+1)

11. All Boys....................3 – 3 (0)

12. Olimpo......................3 – 3 (-1)

13. Huracan....................3 – 3 (-2)

14. Colon de Santa Fe......3 – 2 (-1)

15. Gimnasia La Plata.......3 – 2 (-1)

16. Quilmes....................3 – 2 (-2)

17. Independiente...........3 – 1 (-2)

18. Boca Juniors..............3 – 1 (-3)

19. Argentinos Juniors......3 – 1 (-3)

20. Tigre........................3 – 0 (-4)

Top Scorers:

3 goals:

Luciano Leguizamon (Arsenal de Sarandi)

Rogelio Funes Mori (River Plate)

2 goals:

Cristian Garcia (Banfield)

Juan Morales (Quilmes)

Mauro Obolo (Arsenal de Sarandi)

Santiago Salcedo (Lanus)

Santiago Silva (Velez Sarsfield)

Lucas Viatri (Boca Juniors)

David Ramirez (Godoy Cruz)

Round Four Fixtures:

Friday, 27th August 2010:

00:10 – Huracan v Newell’s Old Boys

Saturday, 28th August 2010:

17:30 – Lanus v Banfield

19:30 – Tigre v Quilmes

22:10 – Colon de Santa Fe v Godoy Cruz

00:20 – San Lorenzo v All Boys

Sunday, 29th August 2010:

17:30 – Independiente v Arsenal de Sarandi

19:30 – Argentinos Juniors v River Plate

21:30 – Boca Juniors v Velez Sarsfield

23:30 – Olimpo v Racing Club

TBC – Estudiantes La Plata v Gimnasia La Plata

All times are BST.

First, I can't believe the amount of time you put into these round updates. Truly amazing, pal!

River are off to a good/surprising start! Will this be Rogelio Funes Mori's year?

What's going on with Boca's defense? On paper it looked interesting. Which formation are they going with?

First' date=' I can't believe the amount of time you put into these round updates. Truly amazing, pal!

River are off to a good/surprising start! Will this be Rogelio Funes Mori's year?

What's going on with Boca's defense? On paper it looked interesting. Which formation are they going with?[/quote']

No worries, I enjoy watching Argentine football, and I enjoy writing. Put them together and this is what you get! So long as people enjoy reading them, then I'll continue to produce the goods. :)

They certainly are, surprising to me too. Out of the River and Boca, it was the latter I expected to turn things around quicker, not River. But I can see why as the influence of Angel Cappa is already oh-so obvious, particularly in the first-half of this weekend's game against Independiente. That was the first time that I could take direct comparisons between this River side and Cappa's Huracan side of 2009 (avec Pastore, Defederico and Bolatti). Obviously, it's still very early days and they're still in danger of relegation as things stand, so there is still a lot of work to do. But they're making progress week-by-week, and they could be, as daft as it sounds, the surprise of the Apertura.

As for Funes Mori, I'm still not sure. I like the kid, but he has a lot of short-comings. His finishing is inconsistent and he is very raw in the sense of his attributes as a striker (movement, hold-up play, first touch etc.). He's slowly improving from his difficult first campaign with River, but he'll have to fend off competition from Leandro Caruso and Mariano Pavone, who are working their way to full fitness. He's picking up a canny knack of being in the right place at the right time though, which is always handy.

As for Boca....where to start. On paper, they've done all the right things this summer. They've addressed the weaknesses and problems this winter: they've brought in a good coach with a successful track record, and improved their greatest area of need - the defence. Insaurralde, Caruzzo and Cellay all had great seasons last year, but they didn't have them playing with each other. It's difficult to get new players to gel together at the best of times, but when it's a whole new backline and, more importantly, when you're wearing the blue and yellow of Boca Juniors, then it's a whole different story. It will take time for them to be comfortable with each other, but even when they're looking steady, they're being let down by individual errors. Clemente Rodriguez made a very uncharacteristic error against Racing last week for their first goal, while Matias Gimenez made a glaring mistake in the game with Godoy Cruz in week one.

And this isn't even going into their other problems. Palermo is simply dire - he needs to go because he just can't run. Him and Viatri and not compatible whatsoever, so Borghi needs to give Mouche a go with Viatri. I'm not saying it will work, but Palermo is hurting the side for me. The absence of Riquelme is a loss obviously as he continues to return from injury, as they lack creativity in midfield. Even the eagerly-awaited return of Battaglia in midfield hasn't helped matters too much. (They're playing 3-4-1-2 by the way, with the aforementioned back three in defence, and Clemente and one other as attacking WB's, although Clemente has only managed one game so far.)

And things don't get easier next week, as Velez visit La Bombonera. Lose that, and I fear for Borghi's job.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates lately - I've been on holiday and busy before that. Here's the rundown on Round Five's fixtures:

Friday, September 10th 2010:

23:10 - Tigre v Gimnasia La Plata

01:20 - Colon de Santa Fe v All Boys

Saturday, September 11th 2010:

18:10 - Huracan v Banfield

20:20 - San Lorenzo v Velez Sarsfield

22:30 - Lanus v Godoy Cruz de Mendoza

00:30 - Estudiantes La Plata v Racing Club

Sunday, September 12th 2010:

18:00 - Argentinos Juniors v Newell's Old Boys

20:00 - River Plate v Arsenal de Sarandi

22:10 - Independiente v Quilmes

00:20 - Olimpo v Boca Juniors

All times are BST.

WOAH WOAH WOAH - hold the phone! What's that I here? The guy that you've all been hanging on for in your SM teams for god knows how long might actually be getting a start this weekend?! Step forward, Erik Lamela; it's your time to shine.

Hello Andy,

Hope you have been doing well :) I have a couple of questions regarding some Argie players/risers, would appreciate a little help on them. Are any of Maximiliano Nunez (84), Fabián Bordagaray (82) and Gustavo Oberman (84) worth holding onto for further rises if any?

Thanks for any help.

Hello Andy' date='

Hope you have been doing well :) I have a couple of questions regarding some Argie players/risers, would appreciate a little help on them. Are any of [b']Maximiliano Nunez (84)[/b], Fabián Bordagaray (82) and Gustavo Oberman (84) worth holding onto for further rises if any?

Thanks for any help.

Sorry for the slow reply Caleb.

Bordagaray - is still to rise to 84 this week. After that, his rises will be minimal. He's in and out of the side right now and I can't see him getting above 85 in the next 6-12 months.

Nunez - can't get off the bench right now. Short-term, I'd certainly sell him. Long-term, he might be worth keeping, but I'd lean towards selling.

Oberman - probably sell this guy as well. AJ are a shadow of the side that won the Clausura and will struggle greatly in comparison this season. I think Oberman might be injured right now, so despite being a starter, he's not gonna see any great improvement next time.

Sorry for the slow reply Caleb.

Bordagaray - is still to rise to 84 this week. After that' date=' his rises will be minimal. He's in and out of the side right now and I can't see him getting above 85 in the next 6-12 months.

[b']Nunez [/b]- can't get off the bench right now. Short-term, I'd certainly sell him. Long-term, he might be worth keeping, but I'd lean towards selling.

Oberman - probably sell this guy as well. AJ are a shadow of the side that won the Clausura and will struggle greatly in comparison this season. I think Oberman might be injured right now, so despite being a starter, he's not gonna see any great improvement next time.

No worries Andy :)

Thanks for the write-up on each player, really appreciated. Well I infer from your reply that most of these players are keepers of their 84s for a decent while (since they aren't rising).

It's for a setup where the rating cap is a paltry 82 so as long as the players aren't in danger of dropping, I think I'll hang onto them.

Thanks for your reply.

hell no... i thought he would make it far aswell...

His career's not over. Just because he's been charged' date=' doesn't mean he'll be prosecuted. I'm not sure there's enough evidence to find him guilty.

Hey Andy

I just wondered if any of the following players are must keeps, keep for the next rating or just sell.

- Fernando Meza

- Rodrigo Erramuspe

- Facundo Affranchino

- Leanardo Diaz

- Rogelio Funes Mori

Thanks in advance.:)

Well, they're all worth keeping as they've all got rises in them next time around. As for must keeps, we're talking about players who are going to make it in Europe. Funes Mori's got the most attention, but I fancy Meza and Erramuspe to attract interest in due course - at the very least, they'll both be very solid defenders in Argentina. I'm undecided about Affranchino and Diaz right now. I'd be tempted to keep all of them, but if you were desperate for cash....maybe sell Funes Mori. You'll get a good sum for him and he's far from the complete striker.

Got to feel sorry for him, i mean it's not as if he set out to kill 3 of best mates is it?! He's got to live with that for the rest of his life.

Andy - what's the verdict on Galeano, he got a small rise last week. Is he worth keeping? Is he good enough to move to Europe?

Got to feel sorry for him' date=' i mean it's not as if he set out to kill 3 of best mates is it?! He's got to live with that for the rest of his life.[/quote']

I know. Personally, I think he'll be fine - there seems little in the way of evidence to prosecute him.

Andy - what's the verdict on Galeano' date=' he got a small rise last week. Is he worth keeping? Is he good enough to move to Europe?[/quote']

Yes, he's worth keeping and yes, he's good enough to move to Europe. Inde have been pretty dire this season so far, although they have rid themselves of Dani Garnero - the manager they only appointed this summer. The fans want America Gallego back, who parted with the club this summer due to a contractual dispute. I'd expect them to pick up before the end of the Apertura.

Also, a decent article from Tim Vickery this week on the state of Argentinian football and, in particular, River Plate. I don't agree with every aspect of it, but it's worth a read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2010/09/why_the_argentine_rollercoaste.html