Primera División de Argentina

andyowls

Re: NEW Young Argentine Talent

I just deleted the post' date=' I dont to enter in conflicts.

I was just trying to help you, I could start my own thread if I just want the reputation:rolleyes:, just forget it, keep going with the thread mate:)[/quote']

Sorry pal, it's my fault for reading/taking your post the wrong way. Feel free to add your opinion on any of the players; the more opinions, the better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to this thread?

Andy - tell me more about Boghossian who's mentioned in your sig. I know he's been on fire this season.

Patience young Biscuit! :P Don't worry, there's plenty of time until the Argentinian changes yet. I've just been caught up with other projects for the time being, but I shall get around to writing up profiles for all the mentioned players.

As for Boghossian, he is my favourite player in Argentina right now. He's an absolute beast of a striker, standing at massive 6' 5", which is clearly visible if you see him play - he towers over opposition defenders! Naturally, he uses his height to his advantage in the aerial game and when holding play up to great effect. It makes me smile whenever Newell's get a corner or free-kick around the box because the TV cameras immediately shoot towards Boghossian as he's the dangerman. He's in lethal form this season, scoring 8 goals in 11 starts, including in yesterday's game against Rosario, in which Newell's came back from two goals down to draw 2-2. Newell's have been good so far this season, but shall likely falter down the stretch as the Apertura reaches it's climax and finish 2nd-4th. Still, pretty good though, and Boghossian had staked his claim as Newell's premier striker.

Patience young Biscuit! :P Don't worry' date=' there's plenty of time until the Argentinian changes yet. I've just been caught up with other projects for the time being, but I shall get around to writing up profiles for all the mentioned players.

As for Boghossian, he is my favourite player in Argentina right now. He's an absolute beast of a striker, standing at massive 6' 5", which is clearly visible if you see him play - he towers over opposition defenders! Naturally, he uses his height to his advantage in the aerial game and when holding play up to great effect. It makes me smile whenever Newell's get a corner or free-kick around the box because the TV cameras immediately shoot towards Boghossian as he's the dangerman. He's in lethal form this season, scoring 8 goals in 11 starts, including in yesterday's game against Rosario, in which Newell's came back from two goals down to draw 2-2. Newell's have been good so far this season, but shall likely falter down the stretch as the Apertura reaches it's climax and finish 2nd-4th. Still, pretty good though, and Boghossian had staked his claim as Newell's premier striker.[/quote']

Ok mate fair enough, was just checking you hadn't forgotten ;)

So is he like a Martin Palermo type striker then?

Ok mate fair enough' date=' was just checking you hadn't forgotten ;)

So is he like a Martin Palermo type striker then?[/quote']

Hmm, I wouldn't say so, but then I didn't really see much of Palermo when he was in his pomp. Palermo today is very much the target man and goal poacher who doesn't really move much. I know he's kind of had that repuatation all of his life, but he's really aging now and you can see that in his movement. Boghossian is much more mobile than Palermo with him being so much younger, but I guess he does share Palermo's awareness of space in the area. They're both very good at being in the right place at the right time which is definately skill and not luck.

I don't know actually, I guess he is a bit like Palermo really. I'd just argue he's better than him, especially today.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beginning to migrate profiles from the players profiled in my old thread,
, and all shall be fully updated with comprehensive reviews, analysis and predictions. First up, Javier Pastore.

Javier Pastore

i00002520-01.jpg

Celebrating one his seven strikes for Huracan during the 2009 Clausura.

2009 Clausura Stats:

Starts: 19

Sub Apps: 0

Mins: 1670

Goals: 7

Assists: 3

Shots (on target): 39 (18)

Discipline: 2Y, 0R

2009/10 Stats:

Starts: 10

Sub Apps: 1

Mins: 714

Goals: 0

Assists: 2

Shots: (on target): 14 (3)

Discipline: 3Y, 0R

Last Rating Change: 78 –> 85

Next Rating Change: 85 -> 86/87

javier+pastore2.jpg

Holding off a River Plate defender, shielding the ball in the process.

Background

If you didn’t have Pastore before the last rating changes, then boy, did you miss out. He got a lovely rise of +7 and he thoroughly deserved it. He was instrumental to Huracan’s success during the 2009 Clausura and it was unbelievably cruel when they were denied the title on the final day of the season when they narrowly lost 1-0 to Velez Sarsfield who, as a result won the title for themselves.

However, Pastore's story starts well before this season and where he has progressed to today. As a youngster, Pastore played for his local side Talleres de Cordoba, where he gradually worked his way through the youth system. It wasn't until 2007 before Pastore got his chance to perform at a senior level for Talleres and he went on to make 5 appearances before the club, who were in the second tier of Argentine football at the time. But Pastore had already been spotted by scouts before any of these senior caps and it was Huracan who saw his potential during an under-18's match between the two sides. Despite having little in the way of money, Huracan agreed a deal with an investment group which enabled the Buenos Aires club to acquire 55% of Pastore's rights and took the youngster to Huracan on loan.

At Huracan, it took time before he was really given the chance to display his bludgeoning talent. The coaches at Huracan nurtured him slowly but surely and he made just the solitary substitute's appearance at the end of the 2008 Clausura. As the new season began, Pastore began to figure more and more and went on to make 11 appearances during the 2008 Apertura. He even signed off the game with a goal (his first at a senior level), an assist and an impressive performance as Huracan comfortably despatched of Velez Sarsfield, which would only prove to be a sign of what was to come.

By the time the Clausura began, Pastore had warranted himself a spot in the Huracan lineup and he went on to cement that spot with some outstanding displays early on in the campaign. He recorded his second career goal in the rout of Racing Club as Huracan impressively started the Clausura with six points out of six.
Los Quemeros
continued to impress with their fantastic-to-watch blend of football, with Pastore, along with Matias De Federico and Mario Bolatti, right at the heart of things. Pastore continued to terrorise defences up and down the country, most of all Lanus, Rosario Central and River Plate, who all felt the force of Pastore's wrath as the youngster netted braces against each side. As the season progressed, Huracan went on a scintillating run of form claiming 8 wins out of 9 to set up a final day shootout for the title with Velez. Any romantic football fan would have wanted Huracan to win after playing the best football for the whole of the campaign, but it was not to be as they fell short in controversial circumstances. Nevertheless, Pastore had impressed many with his displays over the course of the year and it was inevitable that he were to leave eventually and make the move to Europe. He was voted the best player of the season by Olé (a daily Argentine sport’s paper) and the clamour for his signature was always going to be huge as the summer offseason approached.

Playing Style

Replacements-for-Ronaldo--005.jpg

Winning the adulation of his fellow players and fans after scoring once more for Huracan.

Javier Pastore is a special, special talent. He's tall, he's strong, he's quick, he's skillful and he's intelligent. He really does have the complete package. But it's clear when Pastore is most comfortable; when he has the ball at his feet. For such a young age, he is excellent at looking for possession - he really wants the ball and when he gets it, it's rare when he fails to use it wisely. He's scarcely wasteful and is excellent at getting himself out of tight situations, by either skillfully working his way out of the tackle, or by using his body to shield the ball and to buy him and his side a free-kick. He excels at taking players on and has a magnificent level of perception and anticipation. He always seems to be one step ahead of his opponent and he is very good at reading situations and supplying the perfect pass. Attacking-wise, he has a good long shot on him and is solid in one-on-one confrontations with the goalkeeper.

Summer Transfer

javier_pastore.jpg

Pastore being unveiled as Palermo's new Summer signing.

In the summer of 2009, Palermo beat many to his signature, paying 8m euros for his services. Since moving to Europe, he has been slow to adjust to the Italian style of play, but that will only come with time. One must remember that Pastore is still a kid, at barely 20 years old, and such a move half way across the globe is a life-changing move for the kid. It will take time before he is truely comfortable in Italy but he has put in some decent performaces thus far this season. Pastore has been a regular fixture in the Palermo line-up so far this term, although he is often substituted during the second half of most games as the Sicilians look to slowly nurture his talent. I hear that he was especially fantastic in Palermo’s recent win over Juventus, where he set one up and had an effort of his own wrongly ruled out for offside.

Future

610x.jpg

Shrugging off the attention of Juve's Fabio Grosso.

Pastore is held in high regard all over Argentina and many see him as the next superstar to wear the light blue and white of Argentina. He has even been dubbed as the Brazilian Kaka and is a shoe-in for the classic number 10 role for the national side but he has a problem in convincing the one and only man in Argentina who's decision really matters - Diego Maradona. Earlier this year, Huracan refused to release Pastore for the Under-20 South American Championships in Venezuela. A similar situation occured with Gonzalo Higuain which enraged Maradona and led him to snubbing the Real Madrid star to be ignored from the international scene for a very long time. Whether the same will happen to Pastore is yet to be seen, but it appears that Maradona holds a grudge after refusing to elect Pastore as part of his developmental squads for the Argentina "B" friendlies against Panama and Ghana. Whatever happens, Maradona is sure to feel the pressure from the public down in South America as Pastore's star, inevitably, continues to grow.

EDIT:
Pastore made his debut on 22/12/09 in an unofficial friendly against Catalunya, in which he played the full 90 minutes and scored in a 4-2 defeat.

On the club scene, Pastore is the crown jewel in Palermo's glowing, youthful look to their squad. He is already figuring heavily for the Italian side and, although he hasn't quite adjusted to the Italian game fully just yet, it is only a matter of time before he does. Palermo will be sure to look to him to help fire them towards the European spots over the next few years to really put him in the shop window before his inevitable departure. Whilst at Huracan, Manchester United had a bid turned down for the Argentine prodigy, and it is likely that teams of this stature will be looking for his signature before too long.

In terms of Soccer Manager, he is currently rated 85, but he should see a small rise during the upcoming Italian rating changes. Depending on how he and Palermo perform between now and those changes could have an impact on whether Pastore rises to 86 or to 87. Either way, he is much better than this rating may suggest and I'm sure that he will one day crack the 90 mark, with or without Palermo's help.
In short, if you've got him, don't let him go!

Below, you can watch a pair of videos which showcase much of Pastore's goals, assists, tricks and skills that he displayed for Huracan during the 2009 Clausura:

IXQFnEyDpe4

LXDTDnjGxIM

Here are a couple of interesting articles as well, which big-up Pastore's talent.

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who's interested, this evening sees the climax of the Argentinian Apertura, with Banfield hold a two-point advantage over Newell's going into tonight's games. Banfield travel to Boca Juniors knowing that they shall lift they title if they better Newell's result at home to San Lorenzo. If Newell's win and Banfield draw, then we shall see a play-off for the title. If Banfield lose and Newell's win, then Newell's win the title. It's sure to be a tense and exciting night of football.

Kick-off for both games will be at 10PM. I'll provide links for the games here, just before kick-off.

To anyone who's interested' date=' this evening sees the climax of the Argentinian Apertura, with Banfield hold a two-point advantage over Newell's going into tonight's games. Banfield travel to Boca Juniors knowing that they shall lift they title if they better Newell's result at home to San Lorenzo. If Newell's win and Banfield draw, then we shall see a play-off for the title. If Banfield lose and Newell's win, then Newell's win the title. It's sure to be a tense and exciting night of football.

Kick-off for both games will be at 10PM. I'll provide links for the games here, just before kick-off.[/quote']

No :confused:

They're both playing at the moment, and both are losing.

Hey Andy' date=' what do you think of the younger Villalba and Machuca?

Thanks!:)[/quote']

Daniel Villalva is very highly-rated and extremely talented. He's been tipped for big things and no doubt he'll go on to achieve them. He's been given much more chances this season and we're seeing the benefit, with River often performing better when they play Villalba (and their other youngsters, to be fair). He'll get a very tidy rise in a couple of months, and expect a full report on him sometime soon. ;)

Machuca's a decent little defender, but I haven't made my mind up on him yet. I'd be cautious in predicting too great a future for the lad, but he's not rubbish by any means. He can make out to be a decent defender in Argentina at least, and he too will see a good rise when the Argentine changes arrive. Both will hit 80ish.

Javier Pastore has finally been awarded his first call-up to the Argentine National side to face Catalonia on the 22nd due to worris about a minor injury picked up by Lionel Messi. Odd timing, considering his indifferent form for Palermo, but here's to hoping that he can win his first of many caps to come.

Also, Nicolas Otamendi, who is also in the Argentina squad for their forthcoming friendly, is being very strongly linked to a move to Real Madrid back in South America. It is thought that Real are looking for a quick replacement for Pepe, who has just picked up a long-term injury and Otamendi is the man to fill in the gap left by the Portuguese international. It may seem like a big jump up for the young defender, but I'd seriously argue that he's a better defender than anyone that Real currently possess in their squad.

EDIT: and Estudiantes beat Pohang Steelers last night to advance to the final of the FIFA World Club Cup, where they shall meet either Atlante or Barcelona in the final.

Daniel Villalva is very highly-rated and extremely talented. He's been tipped for big things and no doubt he'll go on to achieve them. He's been given much more chances this season and we're seeing the benefit' date=' with River often performing better when they play Villalba (and their other youngsters, to be fair). He'll get a very tidy rise in a couple of months, and expect a full report on him sometime soon. ;)

Machuca's a decent little defender, but I haven't made my mind up on him yet. I'd be cautious in predicting too great a future for the lad, but he's not rubbish by any means. He can make out to be a decent defender in Argentina at least, and he too will see a good rise when the Argentine changes arrive. Both will hit 80ish.[/quote']

Thanks mate! I think I will wait them to raise and then sell Machuca ;)

Tonight, Argentina played Catalunya in an unofficial friendly and were defeated 4-2. Maradona has arranged a couple of "B" team friendlies in the past 6-8 months, and although this game will probably be equal in value, it was much more competitive in terms of talent. For instance, Catalunya gave starts to Barcelona stars Puyol, Xavi, Pique, Busquets and Bojan, as well as notable names, such as Capdevila and Sergio Garcia. Argentina's side had a fair few European-based also, including Di Maria, Levezzi, Higuain, Gago and Demichelis, although Barcelona forbade Messi to partake in the match due to his injury picked up against Espanyol. However, the biggest news to take from this match is the debut of Javier Pastore, who marked his first start with a goal. Unfortunately, I missed the game due to family commitments. :(

Also partaking in this matchup were several Argentine-based players. Nicolas Otamendi of Velez got another start for the national team, while Colon's Diego Pozo, Arsenal's Christian Alvarez, Velez' Emiliano Papa, and Huracan's (/Porto's) Mario Bolatti were also all given starts. Boca's Martin Palermo and Lanus' European-bound Eduardo Salvio also came off the bench.

Useful thread you adding rating predictions?????

Don't know yet; I'm considering it. I haven't really followed the Argentine rating changes closely enough over a long period of time to recognise how they work - each league works differently, you see. I'll definately be adding more to the thread over January/February and I'll be willing to answer any questions you or anyone else may have.

Continuing on my project of migrating profiles from my first thread, Young Argentine Talent, comes young Argentine defender, Nicolas Otamendi - the future of Argentina's defence. If you didn't no anything about him before today, hopefully this will give you a good insight.

Nicolas Otamendi

nicolas-otamendi-maximiliano-moralez-2009-7-5-18-20-2.jpg

Celebrating with his Velez Sarsfield teammates and fans after winning the Clausura title.

2009 Clausura Stats:

Starts: 17

Mins: 1530

Assists: 0

Clean Sheets: 9

Discipline: 3Y, 0R

2009/10 Stats:

Includes Apertura and Copa Sudamericana stats.

Starts: 19

Mins: 1710

Goals: 1

Assists: 2

Clean Sheets: 7

Discipline: 6Y, 0R

Last Rating Change: 75 –-> 86

Next Rating Change: 86 --> 88

matias-defederico-nicolas-otamendi-2009-7-5-16-53-33.jpg

Keeping the talented Matias De Federico at bay.

Background

Just like Pastore, if you didn't have Otamendi in your Soccer Manager teams before the rating changes got to Argentina, then you were, quite frankly, a fool! Nicolas Otamendi was one of, if not
the
revelation last Clausura, certainly in terms of defenders.

But Nicolas Otamendi's journey starts a long time ago, and what a lovely story it is. Born in Buenos Aires, Nicolas' talent was spotted by local Argentine outfit Velez Sarsfield at an early age and he was invited to join their youth system. However, this wasn't such an easy feat for Otamendi to take on, due to the distance between his home and the training facilities. On top of his inevitable school studies, Nicolas had to take public transport to get to and from training. This involved getting on a bus, changing twice, and getting to his destination
three hours
later. Now that is what I call a sacrifice for your career. But, as time wore on, it all began to payoff. Nicolas rose through the ranks and was eventually awarded his debut for Velez by then coach Miguel Angel Russo as a late substitute against Rosario Central.

Following the departure of coach Ricardo La Volpe, who continually overlooked Otamendi, prior to the 2009 Clausura, new coach Ricardo Gareca finally gave Nicolas his first real opportunity to shine. After getting his break early on in the campaign when Chilean International defender, Waldo Ponce got injured, he showed the world what he was capable of and kept Ponce out of the side for the rest of the season. He played 17 straight games, without missing a single minute as Velez charged towards the Clausura title with their efficient style of play. Much of this was down to Otamendi and the Velez defence who let in a measly 13 goals and racked up an impressive 10 clean sheets (9 with Otamendi in the side). The campaign went right down to the wire, however, following a fantastic mid-season run by an unfancied Huracan outfit. This culminated in a final day shoot-out as, coincidentally, the top two happened to be meeting in the final round fixtures. The pressure was huge for Nicolas and his teammates, especially with everyone vying for Huracan and their fantastic blend of football that they had played that campaign. Unfortunately for the purists, Velez defeated Huracan by a single goal to be crowned Clausura champions in rather controversial circumstances, due to the nature of the goal. This victory was largly down to Otamendi's performance in the heart of the defence, who kept firm in the biggest game of their careers.

Who would have thought that Nicolas Otamendi's first full campaign as a professional footballer would have ended with silverware. Those long, arduous bus journeys seem such a long time ago now...

610x.jpg

Otamendi displaying a bit of his no-nonsense style.

Playing Style

Throughout the Clausura season, his first full campaign as a professional, Otamendi impressed with his tough tackling style of play. He is a very physical player, despite his short stance, and he is excellent at reading the game - his anticipation is second to none. This astute awareness gifts him excellent positional skills, and he has the attributes to make up for his error if he is ever caught out of position. Otamendi is also a rather aggressive defender who loves to mark his man closely and get stuck in at every available opportunity. Due to his build, height and style, he has drawn inevitable comparisons to Roberto Ayala and Daniel Passarella.

As for weaknesses, he doesn't really have many. The only thing you could say going against him is his age and his inexperience that goes with it, but that will come. Once he inevitably makes the jump to Europe, he might find the adjustment tough at first, but give him time and he will come good, to which I have no doubt. Other than that, he could perhaps learn to stay on his feet a bit more, as impressive as his lunging tackles are, while he very occasionally gets caught on the wrong side of an attacker, particularly the better ones.

610x.jpg

Challenging FC Porto's Radamel Falcao Garcia, then of River Plate.

This Season

This season, in stark contrast to last, Otamendi has had more duties to juggle with. Not only has he got the new Argentine season to attend to, but Velez have competed in the Copa Sudamericana. Early on in the competition, the youngster helped his side overcome both Boca Juniors and Union, of Uruguay. That granted them a quarter-final tie against LDU Quito, of Ecuador. Unfortunately for Nicolas and his teammates, Quito triumphed, thanks to a second-leg, second-half fightback to win the tie 3-2 on aggregate. Quito went on to win the tournament, so Velez were not disgraced to have come so close to knocking the eventual champs out. And that's not all. As Clausura champs, Velez have the Copa Libertadores to deal with in the new year, which is South America's version of the European Cup (although, this is assuming that Nicolas is still a Velez player when this commences - read more below...).

In the league, Nicolas has had another fine campaign as Velez finished 5th in the Apertura, 3rd only to Colon and Independiente on goal difference. Nicolas didn't quite play as many games this time around, what with having more competitions to deal with, although he still racked up 13 starts, obtaining a clean sheet for his side on 5 occasions. He even managed to score his first senior goal for the club and of his career, when he got the final touch in a mad, goal-mouth scramble against Arsenal de Serandi.

And this is all ignoring Nicolas' new-found fame with the Argentine National Team...

610x.jpg

On duty for Argentina's "B" team, versus Panama.

National Team Selection

Midway through the Argentine Clausura season, Diego Maradona arranged a friendly against Panama in which he solely included Argentine Primera A Division players, in a sort of "B" international. Otamendi, inevitably, was one of the ones called up after his fantastic club form and he played the full 90 minutes. This was to be just his first taste of international football, and his next mouthful was just around the corner...

p60-nicolas.JPG

Training with the full Argentina squad, as heavyweights like Juan Veron and Carlos Tevez watch on.

With Argentina struggling to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and with manager Diego Maradona under immense pressure, Otamendi was given the chance to shine. Unforunately, from a team perspective at least, Argentina struggled in the altitude of Quito, Ecuador, and were then outclassed by a rampant Brazil. Although both were disappointing defeats, and though Otamendi himself didn't quite perform to the best of his abilities, he sure did show his potential to make it at this level in the future. So much so, that Otamendi continued to be called up to the squad, although he wasn't to feature until Argentina's vital, final group game, away to Uruguay. This really was a massive game for the whole of Argentina, with a loss potentially putting one of the giants of world football off the grandest stage of them all. However, it was not to be as Argentina produced a terrific, stout display to see off their rivals by the single goal. Otamendi and the Argentine defence impressed in particular, holding the dangerous strike duo of Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez to minimal opportunities. Barring injury (fingers crossed), Otamendi is in with a great shout to be involved in the squad for South Africa next summer.

International Career:

Includes official caps only.

Starts: 3

Total Mins: 180

Assists: 0

Clean Sheets: 1

Discipline: 1Y, 0R

18316_085202_650x420.jpg

Keeping his eyes on the ball.

Future

It's inevitable that Otamendi will not remain in Argentina for very long. If he doesn't go in January, then it's certain that he will leave next summer and there is already a massive queue of clubs clamouring for his signature. Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio - you name it, they've been linked with Otamendi. Recent reports indicate that Real Madrid are the favourite's to snap the youngster up as they seek a replacement for Portuguese international, Pepe, who's out with a long-term injury. But one thing's for sure, Velez will not let him go on the cheap with 15-20m euros the figure banded about, although I would be surprised if they would be able to hold out for that much.

On the international scene, Otamendi is lucky how Argentina are deprived so much in defence right now. The national side is plagued with aging and mediocre players who struggle to impress when given the call. Otamendi can be the answer to their problems and fill up at least part of their defence for years to come. Whether or not he'll get to perform at CB or his less favoured RB position, is yet to be seen, as Argentina are weak throughout the backline.

In terms of Soccer Manager, get rid of him at your peril. He
will
be 88/89 this time next year and 90+ not too long after. Otamendi is more than good enough to play for a top, top club, and it's clear that the top club's feel the same after seeing so many big names linked with his signature. If he can establish himself with a regular UCL knockout-stage-reaching-club, then I could easily envisage Nicolas Otamendi reaching 92+. The sky really is the limit, but we'll see how he fares in the short-term first.

XeUX0TC9Srw&feature=related

A decent video showing clips of Otamendi against Brazil.

Here are a few interesting articles as well with the second one including a video showcasing some of Otamendi's defensive skills.

any idea where he might be off to? i can remember atletico and fiorentina being linked in the summer' date=' not heard much since then[/quote']

Aye, Atletico had him in the bag but refused to budge from their 8m euro offer. Porto have nipped in and a deal appears all but finalised.

Archived