Primera División de Argentina

andyowls

Re: NEW Young Argentine Talent

Andy' date=' what's your take on Dario Grandin?

And will he go to 87 based on this season?[/quote']

Well, he's a decent player and a very good goalscorer in Argentina, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. I think he'll be a good player in Argentina for a very few years to come, but I can't see him amounting to much more. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this is very much a breakthrough year for him. He's only scored 10 in a whole season once before and he's done that in just the Apertura this term. If he goes on and gets a similar haul in the Clausura, then who knows? But I can't see him ever making it outside of South America, although he's a solid player to have in your side. I'd probably just give him an 87, but only just, what with Inde showing signs of coming back to life this season.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is your predicted rise on Menendez (78) of Lanus?

+5 --> 83' date=' maybe even to 84. He's had a lot of starts and has performed admirably, but I wouldn't call him a big talent. Then again, he had big boots to fill, what with Jose Sand's departure.

Osvaldo GAITAN how is he progressing? Will he move to a bigger team anytime soon?

Osvaldo Gaitan? Do you mean Nicolas Gaitan of Boca Juniors? Or possibly Cristian Gaitan of Estudiantes? I'm not sure I know of an Osvaldo Gaitan...

+5 --> 83' date=' maybe even to 84. He's had a lot of starts and has performed admirably, but I wouldn't call him a big talent. Then again, he had big boots to fill, what with Jose Sand's departure.

Osvaldo Gaitan? Do you mean Nicolas Gaitan of Boca Juniors? Or possibly Cristian Gaitan of Estudiantes? I'm not sure I know of an Osvaldo Gaitan...[/quote']

Osvaldo is Nicolas. :)

Osvaldo is Nicolas. :)

Cheers mate. What dya reckon? He's a decent player but I'm not convinced he's the real deal to be honest. I'm tempted to say that the only reason somebody would take him away is because he's another from the Boca setup, and not down to his actual potential, but perhaps I'm being a tad harsh. I haven't read any rumours of a move away from Argentina, although I haven't been looking for them either. You might know differently, Tom.

Well' date=' he's a decent player and a very good goalscorer in Argentina, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. I think he'll be a good player in Argentina for a very few years to come, but I can't see him amounting to much more. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this is very much a breakthrough year for him. He's only scored 10 in a whole season once before and he's done that in just the Apertura this term. If he goes on and gets a similar haul in the Clausura, then who knows? But I can't see him ever making it outside of South America, although he's a solid player to have in your side. I'd probably just give him an 87, but only just, what with Inde showing signs of coming back to life this season.[/quote']

Duly noted! Thanks for the reply, champ. I have to spread it. ;)

Edit: I forgot to ask:

1. Erviti has found his way into several of my GC team. Do you think he'll rise to 88 (with Banfields season in mind)?

2. Rivero from San Lorenzo - how is he doing? I remember this guy from when he was 19/20 and played for Chacarita (probably from Championship Manager).

3. Who do you rate higher - C. Matheu (Independiente) or J. Botinelli (San Lorenzo)? As an avid follower of Italian football, the defenders are of some interest to me, being brief guests of Serie A (Cagliari and Sampdoria respectively).

1. Erviti has found his way into several of my GC team. Do you think he'll rise to 88 (with Banfields season in mind)?

2. Rivero from San Lorenzo - how is he doing? I remember this guy from when he was 19/20 and played for Chacarita (probably from Championship Manager).

3. Who do you rate higher - C. Matheu (Independiente) or J. Botinelli (San Lorenzo)? As an avid follower of Italian football' date=' the defenders are of some interest to me, being brief guests of Serie A (Cagliari and Sampdoria respectively).[/quote']

1. Certainly. Erviti had a good campaign, but let's remember - it was Banfield's defence which won the title. Silva will get much applause for his goalscoring record, but the fact that they were pretty stout all campaign at the back kept them in many narrow games. Nevertheless, Erviti was very good this Apertura and deserves a rise to 88 in my opinion.

2. It depends, what do you want to know? Rivero's a pretty decent midfielder, especially in Argentina, but I can't see him doing much more in his career. He's 28 now and not many get to move away from South America at that age. He's a solid 87 and a decent member to your side if you have him, even if just for back-up.

3. From a personal standing, I think Botinelli's the better player.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also, a quick word on the big news coming out of Argentina in the last 24 hours. Diego Buonanotte, River Plate's highly-rated young midfielder, has been seriously hurt in a car accident which killed 3 passengers, all of which were friends of the young Argentine prodigy. Buonanotte has had serious repercussions to his lung, as well as a broken clavicle, arm and rib, and he is also suffering from serious trauma from the incident, but he appears to be in a stable condition for now. It appears that Buonanotte, who was driving the car, somehow veered off into a tree on wet conditions somewhere near Buenos Aires. It is expected that the youngster will be out for a minimum of 7-9 months but in truth, he's very lucky to be alive.

And all this comes after a very successful Apertura for Buonanotte on a personal level, who was one of very few bright sparks in a poor River outfit. The 21-year-old has been linked with Atletico Madrid, amongst others, in recent weeks, but this is sure to be a setback in his career.

EDIT: Just found a picture of the wreckage of the car crash. Although it makes sense, I've just realised that Buonanotte survived as he was the only one of the four wearing a seatbelt.

buonanotte-crash.jpg

1. Certainly. Erviti had a good campaign' date=' but let's remember - it was Banfield's defence which won the title. Silva will get much applause for his goalscoring record, but the fact that they were pretty stout all campaign at the back kept them in many narrow games. Nevertheless, Erviti was very good this Apertura and deserves a rise to 88 in my opinion.[/quote']

Regrading the Banfield defense - duly noted! :)

Also, a quick word on the big news coming out of Argentina in the last 24 hours. Diego Buonanotte, River Plate's highly-rated young midfielder, has been seriously hurt in a car accident which killed 3 passengers

Yeah, I read about that. Terrible news!

Guest BrandonBurrows

Andyowls; can I have your rating prediction on a couple of players? Alexis Machuca of Newell's and Luciano Nieto of Huracan. I checked Nieto's stats and while he does have a good amount of apperances he doesn't have any goals but he is a striker.

Andyowls; can I have your rating prediction on a couple of players? Alexis Machuca of Newell's and Luciano Nieto of Huracan. I checked Nieto's stats and while he does have a good amount of apperances he doesn't have any goals but he is a striker.

Machuca --> 81

Nieto --> 79 - tough one to call because Huracan have been dire.

Unlikely. Bounanotte doesn't smoke or drink' date=' but it does make you wonder.[/quote']

really? then it does sound weird - i've read a report where it says there was heavy rain but that wouldnt explain a crash like that, but my first thought when i heard it was 6.45am and he was coming back from a club was that.

apparently he doesnt know what happened to the others, gonna be tough for him to get over the mental side just as much if not more than the physical side

really? then it does sound weird - i've read a report where it says there was heavy rain but that wouldnt explain a crash like that' date=' but my first thought when i heard it was 6.45am and he was coming back from a club was that.

apparently he doesnt know what happened to the others, gonna be tough for him to get over the mental side just as much if not more than the physical side[/quote']

That would be most people's guess as well, I'm sure, given the circumstances. But I've only read that he's straight-edge - it's not like I know the guy so you always have to question what you read. If there is drink involved, his career would be in serious jeopardy (i.e. manslaughter).

As for your second point, I think that it very, very true. I can't see the physical injuries affecting him getting back to form, but the mental issues are going to be very tough for him. Imagine if you or I were largely to blame for killing three of your best friends? It doesn't bear thinking about.

That would be most people's guess as well' date=' I'm sure, given the circumstances. But I've only read that he's straight-edge - it's not like I know the guy so you always have to question what you read. If there is drink involved, his career would be in serious jeopardy (i.e. manslaughter).[/quote']

if there's a criminal investigation its likely to keep him in argentina a little while longer and will probably rule out a move abroad for at least the next 12-18 months (like viatri who was meant to go to italy but there were still some criminal proceedings regarding a robbery against him so he had to stay), which is not just bad for him but for river as well who are in a very bad state financially

As for your second point' date=' I think that it very, very true. I can't see the physical injuries affecting him getting back to form, but the mental issues are going to be very tough for him. Imagine if you or I were largely to blame for killing three of your best friends? It doesn't bear thinking about.[/quote']

the only other players that i can think of in recent years who's attempted to make a comeback after big road accidents are matt jansen and gianluigi lentini, and their careers were effectively finished after their accidents as they were never able to recapture their previous form (and in jansen's case a lot of it was due to him not being able to overcome the pyschological impact)

if there's a criminal investigation its likely to keep him in argentina a little while longer and will probably rule out a move abroad for at least the next 12-18 months (like viatri who was meant to go to italy but there were still some criminal proceedings regarding a robbery against him so he had to stay)' date=' [b']which is not just bad for him but for river as well who are in a very bad state financially[/b]

Too true, but we'll have to wait and see if we get to that point.

the only other players that i can think of in recent years who's attempted to make a comeback after big road accidents are matt jansen and gianluigi lentini' date=' and their careers were effectively finished after their accidents as they were never able to recapture their previous form (and in jansen's case a lot of it was due to him not being able to overcome the pyschological impact)[/quote']

Great point. Jansen had the potential to do a lot, lot more with his career (last I heard, he was training with a club in the conference during pre-season). That motorbike crash really was a turning point in his life and he only went down from then on.

This situation gets all the more gloomier...

Guest BrandonBurrows

Machuca --> 81

Nieto --> 79 - tough one to call because Huracan have been dire.

Thanks for the help. I've already bought Machuca. I don't think I'll be getting Nieto than seeing as his team has been poor and he hasn't scored any goals.

Edit: Also can I get your prediction on Gaston Sauro, plays for boca juniors, has started five games this season.

Thanks for the help. I've already bought Machuca. I don't think I'll be getting Nieto than seeing as his team has been poor and he hasn't scored any goals.

Edit: Also can I get your prediction on Gaston Sauro' date=' plays for boca juniors, has started five games this season.[/quote']

Nieto's a decent talent though. He's still very young. Sauro should get a small rise to 80.

EDIT: Sauro will rise to about 78 actually. Was mistaking his rating for Munoz'.

Quick Buonanotte update:

He's now in a stable condition with only his right lung of any major concern. He has yet to be told of the death of his three childhood friends during the incident, so his worst pain is yet to come. His blood has been taken and is being analysed in La Plata for alcohol consumption.

In other transfer news, Eduardo Salvio has professed his preference to play alongside Maxi Rodriguez and Sergio Aguero at Atletico Madrid, killing his recent ties with FC Porto. A deal appears imminent, but the two clubs still can't agree on a fee. Martinez Jackson, who was voted the best footballer in Colombia last season, is being very strongly linked with River Plate, which will put paid to Racing Club's recent interest in the striker. Meanwhile, there is serious doubt surrounding the future of Banfield's hitman, Santiago Silva. Banfield are due to pay Velez Sarsfield $1.25m for the remaining 50% of his rights, but there is some strong links from abroad tempting the Uruguayan's arm. Lazio and Roma have been linked with Silva in recent weeks.

Guest BrandonBurrows

Nieto's a decent talent though. He's still very young. Sauro should get a small rise to 80.

Yeah he's only 18. I might get him if I've got any money left by the time I've bought all the Argentine risers I'm after. I wasn't expecting Sauro to rise I just got him as a back up defender, but if he does get 80 then great.

Yeah he's only 18. I might get him if I've got any money left by the time I've bought all the Argentine risers I'm after. I wasn't expecting Sauro to rise I just got him as a back up defender' date=' but if he does get 80 then great.[/quote']

Please note, look at my edit. I was confusing Sauro's rating for Munoz', so he won't hit 80, but he should get a small rise still.

Buonanotte update:

The kid's set to leave intensive care in the next 24 hours and is believed to be clear from drink driving charges. Witnesses have vouched for Buonanotte not drinking before leaving the club, but he may still be down for a triple-manslaughter charge if he was found to be speeding. The Peugeot 306's "black box" is to be analysed. He has also been informed of the death of his three friends this morning.

Triple-manslaughter charge :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for keeping us up to date on him

Makes sense really - three guys were killed unintentionally = triple manslaughter. Still, that's only just speculation for now, as there is no evidence to prove Buonanotte was speeding. The weather conditions were reportedly bad on the night in question, so it could all be a case of pure bad luck. If he does get charged, however, he can kiss goodbye to his career (not that that's likely to be of any concern to him right now...).

Archived