Primera División de Argentina

andyowls

Guest BrandonBurrows

Re: Primera División de Argentina

Thanks.

So they are reviewing section 7 now' date=' guessing the Primera Division de Argentina is still a while away from being reviewed then?[/quote']

Section 8 is quite important so they could take a couple of weeks on that. Not 100% sure how long they normally take though.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the noob question' date=' new to the game and don't know much about Argentina soccer, but when will these Argentina players get their player ratings changed?[/quote']

Not a bad question at all because nobody can be certain how SM will go about their schedule. However, I'm fairly confident that SM will review the South American leagues (AKA section one of the main leagues) after they finish section eight (Portugal, Spain and Italy), before they move on to the summer leagues. With this in mind, I can't see Argentina getting analysed until February at the very earliest as, like Brandon says, SM are more than likely to take their time with section eight. We could even be into March by the time we get to Argentina.

Not a conclusive answer, but I hope it's helped you out a bit.

Right, who fancies a transfer round-up? I'll try to split this up into two sections: the completed transfers, and the on-going rumours. Some of these transfers that I'm about to tell you about have been completed in the past week or so, whilst others are ones which I have failed to inform you about. Anyway, away we go...

Completed Transfers

One of the biggest transfers to go through in the past week is that of Claudio Bieler to Racing Club. In my previous round-up, he was very much undecided on where his future lied, professing to three different media sources his willingness to play for three different clubs. However, after finally veering away from Lanus, he ended up choosing Racing, which is a great signing for La Academia. The Avellaneda outfit have lacked a prolific goalscorer in recent campaigns, and Bieler should be a good bet to get the goals this Clausura. The Racing faithful had better hope he doesn't pull a Fabbiani and turn out to be a total flop...

River Plate are in the market for a tonne of new players, even more so following the impending absence of their star player for the upcoming campaign, Diego Buonanotte. They have managed to bring in one name in the form of Rodrigo Rojas from Paraguayan side, Olimpia. Rojas is a 21-year-old attacking midfielder who comes in on a one-year deal, and is sure to be the first of more signings to come. And boy, will they need them, because this squad just aint doing it, despite what Daniel Passarella thinks - the River President has guarenteed a top six finish in the upcoming Clausura. There's postive media spin, and then there's utter delusion...

Santiago Silva's impending departure (more on that below) has tempted Banfield to enter into the transfer market for a replacement goalscorer. They've gone and snared Ruben Ramirez on loan from Racing, but he's not someone who can go and get the goals like Silva could. Banfield could very well find the loss of Silva to be huge...

Estudiantes have finally got themselves a number one 'keeper in the form of Agustin Orion, from San Lorenzo. The current South American champions have acquired 80% of the 28-year-old's rights and he is sure to displace Damian Albil in goal. Albil was always likely to be a stop-gap until a replacement for Mariano Andujar was found, so all of you who have Albil in their squads, make sure you drop him as soon as he rises...

Speaking of Estudiantes, after managing to hold on to Agustin Alayes following his proposed transfer to Colo Colo breaking down, they have indeed gone and lost him after all. The Chilean outfit decided to venture elsewhere after growing concerns over the 31-year-old's dodgy knees. However, that did nothing to dissuade Newell's Old Boys - who beat off competition from Boca - from snapping up the experienced defender, who should slot into an already sturdy defence. The bad news goes to Alexis Machuca, who may be in for less opportunities following this new arrival...

After Alayes failed his medical at Colo Colo, the Chilean giants decided to turn their attention to Andres Scotti, of Argentinos Juniors. Scotti's contract was up in six months, so Argentinos decided to accept any offer which came their way, and the Uruguayan defender moves to Colo Colo on a two-year deal. At 34-years of age, it's seems to me that they like their defenders with a bit of experience over yonder side of South America...

Sticking with Argentinos, El Semillero have managed to coax Jose Luis Calderon out of retirement. The 39-year-old kicked up a fuss when he wasn't included in Estudiantes' party to the World Club Cup in Abu Dhabi last month, forcing himself into "early" retirement. However, probably still out of anger, he has accepted Argentinos' request for him to come back for one more campaign, probably to stick one to Estu. You could almost write the script for when the two teams meet in March...

Huracan have boosted their squad with the signing Lanus', of out-of-favour midfielder, Adrian Peralta. I say boost - this isn't really a signing that's going to turn around Huracan's form, especially with the departure of Mario Bolatti (again, more on that below). However, a new face is a new face...

I forgot about mentioning San Lorenzo's capture of Sebastian Rusculleda last time around from Egyptian club, Al Ahly. Los Cuervos' instantly recognisable boss, Diego Simeone (just ask golden balls), brings in the wideman on an 18-month deal. At just 85, I considered him to be a good signing on SM, until Tom quite rightly pointed out to me the masses of competition for places he will find at SL. We'll have to see what sort of role he gets in the coming weeks. The Buenos Aires outfit have been particularly busy in the transfer market by snapping up two more players in the form of full-back Nelson Benitez and frontman Emiliano Alfaro. Benitez arrives from FC Porto on loan with good expererience at this level, having won the 2007 Apertura with Lanus. Alfaro also comes in on loan from Uruguayan side, Liverpool de Montevideo in a deal which gives SL the option to purchase 100% of the 21-year-old's rights for $3.6m...

A quick round-up of all other transfers:

Liverpool de Montevideo lost another man in the form of Carlos Sanchez to Godoy Cruz, who have also brought in Cesar Carranza on loan from Colo Colo and David Ramirez from Union. Tigre have signed Gonzalo Choy from Rosario on a permanent basis, loaned Claudio Perez from Chilean club, La Serena and have had Pablo Fontanello return from his loan spell at Parma. Mariano Herron and Hernan Fredes have both returned to Independiente from thier loan spells at Deportivo Cali and Metalist respectively, while El Rojo have allowed Ricardo Moreira to join Atletico Tucuman on loan...

Transfer Rumours

Might leave the rumours for now, so expect an update on Santiago Silva, Mario Bolatti and all of the other movers and shakers at some point tomorrow.

Guest BrandonBurrows

It will be good for Gago if he does go on loan to Boca so he can get some regular football. Is it still just a rumor or is there a real offer now?

An insightful review of the Argentinian Apertura 2009 andyowls !

I've read through the thread and could not find any information regarding Matias Alustiza of Chacarita Juniors...could you tell me more about him?

Funny you should mention him as he has been interesting Lanus in the off-season. I can't see anything materialising at the minute as this news has died down in the last couple of weeks. As a player' date=' I'm gonna be honest and admit I know little about him. I have watched Chacarita play very little this Apertura, their first back in the top flight since I've started following the Primera Division. A move away would be best for him because his current club are in serious danger of going straight back down, unless they pull their fingers out in the Clausura. In the up-coming Argie review, he could get a cheeky +1 or +2 rise.

It will be good for Gago if he does go on loan to Boca so he can get some regular football. Is it still just a rumor or is there a real offer now?

The offer is still there, but there is a worry that Real might become short-staffed now that Mahamadou Diarra is on African Cup of Nations duty, so they may not be willing to let him leave. Boca have also emerged as the favourites to sign Mario Bolatti from Porto, so they might abandon attempts to land Gago if they end up landing Bolatti. We shall have to see, but I'll have more on all this a bit later.

Andy' date='

I got a question regarding the Arsenal (Arsenal de Sarandí) strikers.

Who normally starts up front for them and how has he/have they done in the 2009 season?

Just wondering really, since AIK accepted a bid from them for Iván Obolo and he looks set to join his former club.[/quote']

Sorry for the late reply pal. You've since "left" the forum, so I hope you still get to read this, although I did just see you posting on the KPM thread, so you clearly check in from time to time! :D

Right, Arsenal. If you've scanned Arsenal's post on the first page, you will see the name of Franco Jara popping up quite often. He is someone who has impressed me quite a lot during the Apertura. He's a good size (in terms of build, not necessarily height), he's comfortable on the ball and he seems to be a pretty good goalscorer. I watched him a few times in the Apertura and was always left me impressed and he seemed like he could be a good outlet for Arsenal in the coming seasons. Well, that was until I read the bombshell that Benfica are on the verge of signing Jara for an astonishing 8 million euros. 8 million! That, at least, is what Arsenal are demanding and Benfica seem to be willing to go there or at least almost match the figure. This is pretty hot of the press, however, and the translation is a little sketchy, so I'll get back to you if and when the deal is confirmed. The deal has Jara remaining in Argentina during the Clausura, but moving to Portugal in the summer.

Alexander Medina is the striker who paired up with Jara most often during the Apertura. A Uruguayan brought in from Nacional last summer, he has failed to score a single goal in his first 13 appearances for the club. At 31, he's hardly a good long-term option, and he has done little to impress upon me that he can score for Arsenal on a regular basis (they struggle for goals at the best of times).

The problem for Medina, and Obolo if he does indeed wind up at Arsenal, is that Luciano Leguizamon has returned from his loan at Al Ittihad. He will likely pair with Jara during the Clausura, but if Jara were to leave in the summer, then another striker would probably be needed.

Enter Obolo, perhaps? What's he like?

Guest BrandonBurrows

Anyowls: Seeing as SM have some silly rating cap system and from what I can see the only two players in Argentina rated above 90 are Veron and Riquelme who look to both be in for a drop, do you think they have Argentina capped at 90?

Anyowls: Seeing as SM have some silly rating cap system and from what I can see the only two players in Argentina rated above 90 are Veron and Riquelme who look to both be in for a drop' date=' do you think they have Argentina capped at 90?[/quote']

Well, yes and no. Firstly, Veron won't drop in my opinion. Estudiantes have won the Copa Libertadores this year, as well as only narrowly been defeated by Barcelona in the World Club Cup final - not bad against the best team in the world. Veron has been influential to all of this and he has even been voted the South American (based) player of the year in a poll by a top Uruguayan newspaper. While he definately deserves to be up there, I'm sure the high prestige that his name alone holds will have helped him win some votes. That said, he has been consistently impressive for Estu, and Argentina. Even at his age, he still manages to put in admirable shifts for la selección and those international caps will go a long way to him keeping his 91.

As for Riquelme, he's bound for a drop, I'm sure. He really has struggled with injuries as of late and was an infrequent memeber of Boca's dismal Apertura showing. The question is, how far will SM drop him? There's no way in my mind that they'll drop him straight to 90, but I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped to 91. A drop to 92 as a pure minimum is certain, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that that is as low as he gets this time around.

You're probably right that a 90 rating is the very highest that any will achieve whilst you stay in Argentina. In fact, the only player to hit 90 in the past year to 18 months during their time in Argentina was Jose Sand, so even getting that high is pretty tough. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that, unless you're a highly-rated, European reject, who is coming home to see out your career (like Riquelme and Veron), then 89 may be the highest that you ever reach in Argentina. Only the real cream of the crop will challenge to break that 90 barrier.

Well' date=' yes and no. Firstly, Veron won't drop in my opinion. Estudiantes have won the Copa Libertadores this year, as well as only narrowly been defeated by Barcelona in the World Club Cup final - not bad against the best team in the world. Veron has been influential to all of this and he has even been voted the South American (based) player of the year in a poll by a top Uruguayan newspaper. While he definately deserves to be up there, I'm sure the high prestige that his name alone holds will have helped him win some votes. That said, he has been consistently impressive for Estu, and Argentina. Even at his age, he still manages to put in admirable shifts for [i']la selección[/i] and those international caps will go a long way to him keeping his 91.

As for Riquelme, he's bound for a drop, I'm sure. He really has struggled with injuries as of late and was an infrequent memeber of Boca's dismal Apertura showing. The question is, how far will SM drop him? There's no way in my mind that they'll drop him straight to 90, but I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped to 91. A drop to 92 as a pure minimum is certain, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that that is as low as he gets this time around.

You're probably right that a 90 rating is the very highest that any will achieve whilst you stay in Argentina. In fact, the only player to hit 90 in the past year to 18 months during their time in Argentina was Jose Sand, so even getting that high is pretty tough. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that, unless you're a highly-rated, European reject, who is coming home to see out your career (like Riquelme and Veron), then 89 may be the highest that you ever reach in Argentina. Only the real cream of the crop will challenge to break that 90 barrier.

Rodrigo Palacio (91) , Martin Palermo (90) , Daniel Montenegro (91) , Juan Carrizo (90) , Pablo Ledesma (90) , German Denis (90).

All of the above (excluding Palermo) have left Argentina within the last 18 months, rated 90 or above. Their original ratings (when they were in Argentina) are in brackets.

91 is the extreme cap, for the leagues special players over a period of time, and 90 is the normal cap for the leagues top players.

Rodrigo Palacio (91) ' date=' Martin Palermo (90) , Daniel Montenegro (91) , Juan Carrizo (90) , Pablo Ledesma (90) , German Denis (90).

All of the above (excluding Palermo) have left Argentina within the last 18 months, rated 90 or above. Their original ratings (when they were in Argentina) are in brackets.

91 is the extreme cap, for the leagues special players over a period of time, and 90 is the normal cap for the leagues top players.[/quote']

Yeh, you're right actually. I did mean to put in, "that I can think of" in that sentence but I completely forgot. I didn't even bother checking, and I knew there were more. Somehow, I knew that you'd poke yor head in somewhere during that post! :P

Do you think that the "91 extreme cap" might become 90 in the near future? I can't see Veron and Riquelme holding their 90+ ratings for many more rating reviews.

Yeh' date=' you're right actually. I did mean to put in, "that I can think of" in that sentence but I completely forgot. I didn't even bother checking, and I knew there were more. Somehow, I knew that you'd poke yor head in somewhere during that post! :P

Do you think that the "91 extreme cap" might become 90 in the near future? I can't see Veron and Riquelme holding their 90+ ratings for many more rating reviews.[/quote']

No, I think it can stay at 91. The difference is, the Argentine league is becoming more and more skint. Players leave earlier, so the 3 years that the exceptional players need to hit the 91 just aren't happening. As soon as they get up to 88 standard some European, Arab, or Mexican team comes in for them and off they go to reach their peak elsewhere.

The cap is still there to be exploited, we've just got to try and keep the players for a period of time long enough.

No' date=' I think it can stay at 91. The difference is, the Argentine league is becoming more and more skint. Players leave earlier, so the 3 years that the exceptional players need to hit the 91 just aren't happening. As soon as they get up to 88 standard some European, Arab, or Mexican team comes in for them and off they go to reach their peak elsewhere.

The cap is still there to be exploited, we've just got to try and keep the players for a period of time long enough.[/quote']

Good points, I hadn't really considered that. The only problem with what you say in that last sentence is that I can't see things improving, at least in the near future. The trouble is that we are getting more and more teams with the mega-rich owners who like to cast their scouting network far and wide, swallowing up the wonderkids before they've even truly blossomed in their own country. All the top European clubs are so far ahead of everyone else, not just today, but in preparation for tomorrow as well, as they have all these talented kids lined up, waiting in the wings. These clubs aren't satisfied with soaking up the talent in their area and training them into potential superstars; they want to bring the already developed superstars to their academies ready-made and ready to go. That's kind of how the situation is looking these days, and unless some stricts rules are put in place in the near future (i.e. like the Chelsea/Kakuta punishments [before they were revoked]), I can see it getting worse and worse. This can only be bad news for Argentina's cap rating.

Good points' date=' I hadn't really considered that. The only problem with what you say in that last sentence is that I can't see things improving, at least in the near future. The trouble is that we are getting more and more teams with the mega-rich owners who like to cast their scouting network far and wide, swallowing up the wonderkids before they've even truly blossomed in their own country. All the top European clubs are so far ahead of everyone else, not just today, but in preparation for tomorrow as well, as they have all these talented kids lined up, waiting in the wings. These clubs aren't satisfied with soaking up the talent in their area and training them into potential superstars; they want to bring the already developed superstars to their academies ready-made and ready to go. That's kind of how the situation is looking these days, and unless some stricts rules are put in place in the near future (i.e. like the Chelsea/Kakuta punishments [before they were revoked']), I can see it getting worse and worse. This can only be bad news for Argentina's cap rating.

Another interesting thing is that when the top players leave Argentina, they just aren't cutting it. Of the 6 players I mentioned in my above post, 5 of them are now plying their trade outside of Argentina. All 5 of them players have had rating decreases, with only Palacio's decrease coming whilst he was still in Argentina, and even that was down to injury. He should drop to 89 in the upcoming Italian changes as well, which will keep the trend going.

Players are leaving when in their prime as they want to play in the superior leagues. How then is it that Argentina is one of the best national teams in the world, but lack a distinct class in their domestic league. Okay, so they want more money and prestige, but if they all stayed at home, then that is where the prestige would be. It's a vicious circle, and how it kicked off is debatable, but it is now stuck. But if these players are leaving and getting worse, then how does Argentina have such a good reputation.

It seems obvious really. The longer you play in the Argentine leagues, the more inappropriate you become for the European leagues. Using SM ratings is a good benchmark for measuring this kind of stuff.

Best rated defenders;

Samuel - Europe aged 21

Milito - Europe aged 22

Demichelis - Europe aged 22

Garay - Europe aged 18

Heinze - Europe aged 18

Gonzalo - Europe aged 19

Cata Diaz - Europe aged 27

Burdisso - Europe aged 22

Best rated midfielders;

Cambiasso - Europe aged 15 (returned to Argentina on loan aged 18)

Zanetti - Europe aged 21

Mascherano - Brazil aged 18, Europe aged 21

Maxi - Europe aged 21

Lucho - Europe aged 23

Riquelme - Europe aged 23

Ibagaza - Europe aged 21

Veron - Europe aged 20

Gago - Europe aged 20

Best rated forwards;

Messi - Europe aged 13

Aguero - Europe aged 17

Tevez - Brazil aged 19, Europe aged 21

Milito - Europe aged 23

Lisandro - Europe aged 21

Higuain - Europe aged 18

So, barring Cata Diaz (the exception that proves the rule :P) the eldest that the worlds top Argentinian players have left Argentina at is 23. It is even more noticable for the exceptional players, Messi (13), Aguero (17), Cambiasso (15), Veron (20).

Lets compare this to the flops that I mentioned above.

Palacio - Europe aged 27

Montenegro - Mexico aged 30

Ledesma - Europe aged 24

Denis - Europe aged 27

The difference is pretty noticable.

Another interesting point is that there are no 90 rated goalkeepers. It's simple. Argentina are not renowned for their keepers, so the European teams don't buy them young, as they can produce better in their own ranks. Because of this, the Goalkeepers are not getting the European development, not reaching their potential, and not making high ratings.

You can interpret this how you like, but with the National squad Argentina have, they must be doing something right with their youths. It is one of the most scouted countries in the world, and the development in the youth sections is second to none.

So what goes wrong? A number of theories, but I'd say perhaps the strongest is that range when players pass 21/23 years of age. Argentinian teams seemingly cannot take them to the next level, which explains why so many Argentine prodigies flee the country on the first plane to Europe as soon as they can.

To extend that rating cap, and to rebuild the prestigious name of the league, they must first address how to continually develop these players beyond their teens.

Great post Tom. I've been meaning to get back to it, but I only got back to England late last night.

The points you make are excellent and very well-reasoned. The only thing I may possibly dispute is the fact that, to me, there appears to be a direct correlation between the age a player leaves Argentina and the quality and potential that that player possesses. Of course, you have Messi, who left at age 13 and is now the best player in the world. You have Cambiasso, who left aged 15 and is now one of the best central midfielders in the world, and so on. These guys get snapped up so young because they are so talented, and the clamour for their signature is huge.

At the other end of the scale, you have the ones who have left Argentina recently and have subsequently flopped. These players have left Argentina at a later age and haven't really cut it where they've gone, but then again, they're clearly not as good as the aforementioned players. Denis and Palacio especially are so far below the ability of the other strikers mentioned in the list above them, it's untrue (in my opinion). Now, you make the point that the longer that these guys stay in Argentina, the longer the become innapropriate for the European game. While I agree with this to an extent, I do think that they're not as good as the players you pick out in that list, so we shouldn't really expect them to become world beaters.

I also think that it's worth pointing out that, if you go back in time and imagine that SM has been played right through the 90's, when your Cambiasso's, Messi's, Aguero's etc. were being snapped up by European teams, they won't have been rated 90+. To truly compare now and then, you would have to look at the 90-rated players of the day (which you couldn't really do when you go so far back, as SM wasn't around) and see how they got on if and when they left for Europe. I don't have any examples (mainly, because I'm too lazy to look for any!), but I would imagine that they would have similar stories to your Montenegro's, Palacio's and Denis'. Although there will always be exceptions, it appears clear to me that any player who leaves Argentina after the age of 23-24, that they've clearly missed the boat and aren't going to cut it at the highest level.

As for the cap rating, I do think it's heading closer to 90 that staying north of the mark. With the financial balance being so uneven between Europe and Argentina, and with the demand for talented youths so high, the best youngsters will always be snatched before they've truly impressed in Argentina on a consistently continuous basis. You will have the ones who stick around because nobody's willing to take a chance on them, the ones who have been to Europe, failed and come back, and the ones coming back to see out their career who hold the higher ratings, but I can see them becoming increasingly few and far between.

Time for a new player report, and this one comes about a guy who is impressing me more and more as time goes on. Say hello to....

Fabian Bordagaray

Disclaimer: Credit goes to Gozzy, who first picked up on Fabian Bordagaray, here.

San+Lorenzo+midie+Fabian+Bordagaray+celebra+su+gol+ante+Tigre+por+la+Sudamericana.jpg

Personal Statistics

Surname: Bordagaray

Forename: Fabian

Nationality: Argentinian flags_of_Argentina.gif

Club: San Lorenzo

Position: Fwd/Wing

D.O.B.: 15/02/87

SM Rating: 76

Playing Style

When you think of your classic centre-forwards, you can usually break them down into two categories - your big, tall, weighty target-man, and your small, quick, light goal-poacher. By looking at Fabian Bordagaray's numbers, you'd naturally assume that he's one of the latter, and you'd certainly be right for the most part. Standing at a modest 5' 9" tall and weighing in at a reasonable 72kg, the kid isn't one to trouble you greatly in the aerial game. However, with his low centre of gravity, Bordagaray gives you excellent speed and balance for a frontman.

The thing that makes Fabian Bordagaray such an exciting talent is hard to put your finger on, because it's quite hard to spot. He has a unique quality about him that makes you think that he could be a good player, but he's all too prone at hiding it from view. What I mean by this, is that he's a very inconsistent player, who can often show a bright spark of extreme imagination and brilliance, but then be unheard of for the next 30 minutes of the game. But he has the ability to make a terrific shot, or to execute a dazzling dribble, or to simply do the simple things right. If you look towards the bottom of this post, you will discover a video (first one) of a recent strike by Bordagaray in a friendly against Boca Juniors. Check it out and you will see what I mean, as the kid scores a superb goal from distance which swerves and dips tremendously into the back of the net. Certainly one for his scrapbook.

Other than pure consistency, Bordagaray could do with working on his presence in the physical side of the game. He's quite light, so can often be nudged of the ball all too easily. Yet, at the same time, he can display good strength when holding up the ball, which makes it all the more infuriating when he is brushed aside with conviction as you know he's capable of it.

I'm not gonna lie - Bordagaray is not the most exciting talent in Argentina right now, and he has many areas of his game that he needs to work on. However, he has pace, he's a smart footballer and he is showing signs that he can become a regular goalscorer for San Lorenzo. If he can continue his upward trend of development in the upcoming Clausura, then I'm sure that he's capable of great things in South America.

?m=02&d=20091021&t=2&i=12034918&w=450&r=2009-10-21T232202Z_01_MVD102_RTRIDSP_0_SOCCER-LATAM

Celebrating with his San Lorenzo team mate, Pablo Pintos.

Background

I first picked up on Fabian Bordagaray when he made his debut for San Lorenzo, as a late substitute against Gimnasia La Plata. I knew nothing about the kid when he came on, and wasn't expecting him to make too much of an impact. Well, boy, was I wrong! Despite only have a short amount of time on the pitch to make his mark, he did more than just that by grabbing the equalising goal to haul San Lorenzo level in a game they had trailed for much of the second period. That ignited a comeback that was sealed by Gonzalo Bergessio's long-range effort.

However, it wasn't at San Lorenzo where Bordagary began his career. Details are sketchy, but I believe that the youngster developed his skills at Defensa y Justicia, a Primera B Nacional side. Here, Bordagaray worked his way through the ranks at a steady pace and come the end of the 2007/08 season, he was a regular fixture coming off the substitute's bench. Although he did little to indicate that he was anything special by simply looking at his visible output, he did enough to tempt San Lorenzo to bring him to
Estadio Pedro Bidegain
. He initially found his opportunites limited, but as the season wore on, Bordagaray was given the chance to shine - a chance he took in the aforementioned game against Gimnasia La Plata. After that, the youngster was handed a series of starts as the 2009 Clausura drew to a close, grabbing an assist against Gimnasia de Jujuy. It was important for San Lorenzo to take a decent look at him, what with the impending departure of star striker, Gonzalo Bergessio.

56612.jpg

Celebrating a strike for San Lorenzo.

This Season

After Bergessio's exit, the onus was on Bordagaray to step up to the plate and prove that he is capable of becoming a worthy successor. Bordagaray also had to deal with the return of Juan Carlos Menseguez, who had failed to earn himself a permanent deal at West Brom. However, it was the pair of them who went on to forge a solid partnership during the Apertura campaign, and their relationship grew as the campaign went on. Between them, they salvaged eight goals (four apiece), and they will be sure to work upon this tally during the Clausura.

As for Bordagaray himself, he showed moments of brilliance on occasions, but disappeared from games all too often. He had some terrific highlights over the course of the campaign, including a superb overhead kick against Gimnasia La Plata. Against Tigre in the Copa Sudamericana, Bordagaray entered the game as a late substitute to direct a well-executed volley into the bottom-corner to seal victory in a tight encounter. He was also the man who single-handedly destroyed Newell's Old Boys chances of snatching the Apertura title from under Banfield's noses on the final day of the season. Needing a win to at least have a chance of claiming the title, Newell's were shocked by an early goal by Bordagaray, who curled a sublime effort into the top corner with the Newell's 'keeper stranded. He followed that up with a game-killing second from close range in the second half.

Starts: 11

Sub Apps: 7

Total Mins: 892

Goals: 5

Assists: 1

Shots (On Target): 14 (9)

Discipline: 1Y, 0R

Includes both league and Copa Sudamericana stats.

340x.jpg

Battling Lanus' Diego Gonzalez for possession.

The Future

As of right now, I'm unsure as to how far Bordagaray can go in his career. Hopefully, by the end of the upcoming Clausura campaign, I will have a clearer picture in my head as to how good this kid actually is. He has talent, that is for sure. However, he has areas to his game that he needs to work upon, as I have previously pointed out. The biggest one of these for me is consistency. If he can prove that he can be a constant thorn in his oppenents side, week after week, then I have no doubt that he can become a top striker in Argentina. We just have to see how long it is before he can get over that hill and cement himself as a force to be reckoned with.

Many will wonder about his chances of a move to Europe, but I would be very apprehensive at this early stage. What's key in Bordagaray's situation is his age. He's nearing the age of 23 now, and as Tom has successfully pointed out in our discussion on this very page, very few make a successful career across the Atlantic once they pass the age of 23. With Bordagaray only really beginning to impress in the past 6-8 months, it would be a big ask for him to do enough to warrant interest from abroad over the course of the next year. But, stranger things have happened, so I won't rule it out.

All I would say is that Fabian Bordagaray is not only a very good money-spinner for the upcoming rating changes; he's a player who is capable of doing a fair amount of damage in Argentina for a good few years to come, and that can make him a very handy addition to your squad in SM.

Next Rating Change:

76 --> 82

Whilst at San Lorenzo:

82 --> 86/87/88

After that:

Too soon to tell...

7R5MlKv7VlU

Real golazo against Boca (1:13 - well worth seeing - friendly game).

b1tXZb5wyjA&feature=related

Double-salvo against Newell's. Nice first goal.

cx2fLZFaaLE&feature=related

Sweet bicycle-kick against Tigre.

FK6Dzv3lDok&feature=related

Lovely finish to settle the Copa Sudamericana tie with Tigre.

RV95Nq4wwtg

Nice, composed finish against Boca.

4c-Wq3eZkxU

Debut goal against Gimnasia La Plata, just 5 minutes after coming on as a substitute (first goal, header).

ic7zvPodGTk

Smart lob against Estu with the 'keeper off his line (2:30 - friendly game).

A quick bit of transfer news:

Mario Bolatti has sealed a move to Italian club Fiorentina. La Viola beat of the competition of many clubs, including Barcelona and Boca Juniors to land the midfielder from FC Porto. The Argentinian international is set to complete the move after undergoing a medical in the next 48 hours.

Eduardo Salvio has finally completed his on/off/on/off/on again switch to Atletico Madrid. The sale of Maxi Rodriguez to Liverpool was key for the Spanish outfit being able to raise enough funds to lure the wonderkid to the Spanish capital. The deal is believed to worth 10m euros.

Jesus Datolo has been made to pay for his nude photoshoot in a homosexual magazine by joining Olympiakos on loan from Napoli. The Napoli president was reportedly very angry at Datolo's off-field antics and has had his way by shipping the winger off to Greece.

Also, it has been announced that Argentina will play in two friendlies in their native Argentina before flying off for South Africa in the summer for the 2010 World Cup Finals. Argentina will play Canada on the 25th May and Israel on the 29th May. The decision to hold the games in South America has come as a surprise the original plan was to hold them in Europe. However, after the players protested against the idea, the Argentinian Football Association have decided to keep the games in Argentina.

Diego Maradona has also arranged two more selección local matches for the home-grown players, continuing the trend after experimenting in games against Panama and Ghana last year. Games against Puerto Rico on the 26th January and Jamaica on the 10th February are to be looked forward to. In fact, the squad for the first friendly has now been announced. Here's how it shapes up:

Goalkeepers: Campestrini (Arsenal), Nelson Ibáñez (Godoy Cruz).

Defenders: Carlos Matheu (Independiente), G. Burdisso (Central), G. Díaz (Vélez), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes), Monzon (Boca), Caruzzo (Argentina).

Midfielders: Enzo Pérez (Estudiantes), Insua (Boca Juniors), Gaitán (Boca), Bolatti (Fiorentina), Razzotti (Velez), Walter Erviti (Banfield).

Forwards: Gabriel Hauche (Argentina), Martin Palermo (Boca), Mauro Boselli (Estudiantes) and Cristaldo (Velez).

There are some noticable names in there who have never been called up before in the past. From a personal perspective, I'm delighted that Guillermo Burdisso has been given a chance at a senior, international level. The tall centre-back has been in fine form for Rosario ever since breaking through with at the club, and his agent has even been talking about interest from Italian giants, Milan, Inter and Juventus. Expect a full update on him in the next few days. There are seven other names who are being called up for the first time, and they are highlighted in bold.

I'm slowly working through my players that I highlighted in my other thread, Young Argentine Talent. If you bear with me, I may very well get through them all, eventually. Anyway, here's the next one, and it comes from my baby - the first player I had added to the database and somebody who I've been following since day one...

Guillermo Burdisso

968993.jpg

Celebrating his second career goal, on his second career start, against San Lorenzo.

2009 Clausura Stats:

Starts: 13

Sub Apps: 0

Mins: 1089

Goals: 2

Assists: 0

Clean Sheets: 4

Discipline: 2Y, 1R

2009/10 Stats:

Starts: 18

Sub Apps: 0

Mins: 1629

Goals: 2

Assists: 0

Clean Sheets: 6

Discipline: 2Y, 0R

Last Rating Change: 76 –-> 82

Next Rating Change: 82 --> 85

Background

If you are reading about Guillermo Burdisso for the first time, then I shall get the formalities out of the way; yes, he is the brother of Argentina international defender, Nicolas Burdisso. Guillermo has admitted before that having someone who is so well-recognised, particularly in Argentina, as his brother, has helped him in his quest to become a professional footballer. Many times in his youth days, he was played for his name and not necessarily his skill, yet it was also a weight on his shoulders as everyone was looking towards him to perform. The pressure was intense. Early into the 2009 Clausura, Burdisso was given the chance to shine with his full debut against Banfield. Burdisso scored and gave a mature display in spite of defeat, so he kept his place in the side. The following week, against San Lorenzo, he scored again, provided another mature display and the rest is history. He in fact created history in scoring that goal by becoming the first Rosario Central player to ever score in their first two fixtures. As the season wore on, Burdisso impressed many with his displays. Although he is generally good at anticipating the game, he was once caught out by the quickness of Javier Pastore, and subsequently sent off for a rash challenge. But that is nothing to be ashamed of as Pastore is quite a player, and Burdisso followed up post-game by humbly admitting that Pastore was simply too quick for him on that occasion and that he deserved to receive his marching orders. But, over the course of the Clausura, Burdisso had laid down his marker and shown to everyone that he is more than good enough to compete at this level. He was no longer living in his brother's shadow; he had his own name now.

i00002857-03.jpg

In action against Argentinos Juniors.

Playing Style

One of Burdisso's biggest strengths is his dominance in the aerial game. Standing at 6' 2" tall, there are few strikers who he comes across that can truly bother him when challenging for a header. And if he is ever up against a particularly heady striker, Burdisso has a terrific leap that allows him to gain the upper-hand in most battles. The youngster isn't afraid to get involved in the physical battles on the football field either. Weighing in at a sturdy 13.5st, he can certainly hold his own against the roughest strikers in the division. Burdisso has decent positional awareness and is pretty good at anticipating the game going on before him. He's also a devil when going forward for corners, netting four goals already in his young career.

However, no player is without their weaknesses and at the young age of 20, Burdisso has a few that he can work on. His composure on the ball isn't the greatest and he could do with developing the ability of directing his defensive headers/clearances a tad more. Burdisso occasionally makes the odd mistake, but it is rare when they are catastrophic and he makes up for them immediately in almost every occasion. One thing Burdisso isn't particularly blessed with is outstanding pace, but he can't really do much about that. That said, he's good at working around this with his good postional awareness, and he's no slouch by any means.

b_CentralsiRivermal_576x324.jpg

Celebrating his goal against River Plate.

This Season

So far this season, we have seen Burdisso continue his breakthrough form as he has further embedded his presence in the first XI. During the Apertura, he missed just the solitary game against Godoy Cruz thanks to a niggly injury, performing in every other minute that campaign. He was part of a very watertight Rosario defence that conceded just 14 goals in 19 games, clocking up 6 clean sheets along the way - only the Apertura champions Banfield had a better record than that. Rosario as a team finished mid-table in 10th spot, racking up a total of 31 points. This may seeem like a modest total, but with Rosario sitting dangerously close to the relegation places before the season began, the Club President gave the team a target of 30 points during the campaign, which they achieved thanks to a final day win over Velez Sarsfield.

Burdisso himself has performed well during the campaign and has been a key component of that solid defensive line. He has been an imposing figure at the back week after week and even managed to get on the scoresheet on a couple of occasions. In the home victory against River Plate, Burdisso got the ball rolling by nodding in the opener, while he also got an early goal against Atletico Tucuman. His good form this term has even seen him get international recognition, after Diego Maradona announced him in his latest developmental squad for home-grown players. It is a chance that he thoroughly deserves and it may very well be the first of more to come.

velezcentral_clarin.jpg

Winning the aerial battle once more against Velez Sarsfield.

Future

The future looks bright for Guillermo Burdisso and in recent days, he has been subject to much interest from Europe. Burdisso has been linked to a host of Italian clubs recently, including Milan, Inter, Juventus, Lazio and Chievo. While I do think that the tall defender could be a very good fit for the Italian game, I would err on the side of caution as much of this talk is being fueled by Burdisso's Italian agent. However, if he were to move anywhere in Europe, Italy would be the most obvious choice simply because that is where his older brother, Nicolas, has plyed his trade for much of his career. Although I think that Burdisso is good enough on his own account, it would not surprise me in the slighest if an Italian team came in for him hoping that he's just as good as his brother. The one problem with that hope is that the fact of the matter is that Guillermo is better than Nicolas! Well, in my opinion anyway, and at the young age of 20, he has plenty of time to improve. Either way, I can't see Guillermo leaving until the summer at the very earliest, but this transfer talk is certainly intruiging.

In terms of SM, Burdisso is set for another tidy rise in the upcoming Argentine review. For all you small sides who struggle with a low-average, Burdisso may very well jump straight into your first XI in the next month of two. After that, he's restricted as to how far he can go as a Rosario Central player. The club have few who surpass 85 in terms of rating, let alone any higher. If Rosario were to continue their upward trend of becoming a mid-table/low-end, top-half table side, then that average rating has the potential to increase, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. The big money is to be earned if he does actually make that trip across the Atlantic to join an Italian team. Obviously, it depends whether or not he can establish himself in the first XI over there, but he can certainly hit the high 80's as a pure minimum if he does so.

And who knows? If Burdisso can impress in the upcoming
selección local
match against Puerto Rico, he could very well force his way on to the international scene. Argentina are desperately short of quality centre-halves, so if Burdisso can continue his development in the way he has done during the first 12 months of his career, then anything can happen. Either way, you'd be a fool to let go of this guy anytime soon.

Y-wKm-pCKTo

Scoring against River Plate this season (0:00).

MnJRWH41tDM

Scoring against Atletico Tucuman this season.

Uh-oh, things just get worse and worse for Boca Juniors. One day after their comprehensive 3-1 friendly defeat to arch-rivals River Plate in el superclasico, coach Alfio Basile has left the club after a tumultuous six months in charge of the club. Just a week before the Clausura begins, Boca are without a coach, without any reinforcements after some slow transfer activity and without any hope challenging for the Clausura title. In the game against River, they were defensively all over the place, while Pato had a bit of a stinker in net. This defeat follows two previous friendly losses to mark an unhappy summer off-season for the Argentine giants so far. The goals to that game can be seen below; watch out for the lovely third goal by 17-year-old starlet, Daniel Villalva:

t0rby7XINJk&feature=player_embedded

In other news, Racing Club have made a second big splash in the transfer market by landing Gabriel Hauche from Argentinos Juniors. After winning the battle for Claudio Bieler a couple of weeks back, it seems as if Racing now have a very productive looking front pair for the upcoming Clausura. Rosario Central have finally sealed the signing of Luciano Figueroa from Genoa, who comes in at the same time that Gonzalo Castillejos leaves to join Lanus. Meanwhile, Independiente have secured the services of Leandro Gracian on loan from Boca until the end of the campaign. They're the main transfers I can think of at the minute. I might do a bigger run-through in due course.

Also, after Bolatti's switch to Fiorentina, it's rendered him "inelegible" for Maradona's home-grown squad for the upcoming friendly games against Puerto Rico and Jamaica. Juan Mercier of Argentinos has been called up to replace him, whilst Jose Sosa of Estudiantes and Franco Jara of Arsenal de Serandi have also been drafted into the squads. Jara's inclusion marks the 94th different player to be called up to international duty in the 15 months that Diego Maradona has been in charge (although, that does include the proper internationals and the experimental, home-grown friendlies).

In other news' date=' Racing Club have made a second big splash in the transfer market [b']by landing Gabriel Hauche from Argentinos Juniors[/b]. After winning the battle for Claudio Bieler a couple of weeks back, it seems as if Racing now have a very productive looking front pair for the upcoming Clausura. Rosario Central have finally sealed the signing of Luciano Figueroa from Genoa, who comes in at the same time that Gonzalo Castillejos leaves to join Lanus. Meanwhile, Independiente have secured the services of Leandro Gracian on loan from Boca until the end of the campaign. They're the main transfers I can think of at the minute. I might do a bigger run-through in due course.

Also, after Bolatti's switch to Fiorentina, it's rendered him "inelegible" for Maradona's home-grown squad for the upcoming friendly games against Puerto Rico and Jamaica. Juan Mercier of Argentinos has been called up to replace him, whilst Jose Sosa of Estudiantes and Franco Jara of Arsenal de Serandi have also been drafted into the squads. Jara's inclusion marks the 94th different player to be called up to international duty in the 15 months that Diego Maradona has been in charge (although, that does include the proper internationals and the experimental, home-grown friendlies).

Nice signing by Racing! Looks like they are eager to better their rather poor league position.

I've never really been fond of Figueroa. It'll be interesting to see what he can do at Arsenal.

I think Bolatti is going to be great at La Viola! Anoyed that Lazio didn't land him last summer. :mad:

Looks like Estudiantes are supplying quite a lot of players for the home-grown squad. Who's the better player between Sosa and Perez? Why isn't Benitez in the mix? Based on stats he had a better season that the other two?

Excellent thread Andy and great write up on Burdisso, the most in depth on any player i think i've ever seen on here.

Is it usual for Boca/River to play each other in a friendly?

I have a question regarding Bolatti, now he's gone to Fiorentina he'll be reviewed next week some time but what do you think he'll get, as obviously his rating will be based on his Argentinian league performances.

I've never really been fond of Figueroa. It'll be interesting to see what he can do at Rosario.

Figeuroa used to play for Rosario (not Arsenal ;))' date=' so he has previous ties with the club. He was prolific in his first spell with the club, but I wonder if he will have the same impact now that he is 6-7 years older. I can't help but wonder that he isn't the answer to Rosario's goalscoring problems.

Looks like Estudiantes are supplying quite a lot of players for the home-grown squad. Who's the better player between Sosa and Perez? Why isn't Benitez in the mix? Based on stats he had a better season that the other two?

Sosa or Perez? No idea - I've only seen Sosa in half a friendly against San Lorenzo that I was barely paying attention to. Not enough to give a valid opinion for, I'm afraid. As for Maradona's squad selection, you should know by now that that man doesn't have a clue what he's doing. There are a tonne of players who could be considered for that squad, although it's quite subjective I guess because his aim with these home-grown friendlies is rather unclear.

Bieler has looked really poor pre-season. Hauche is a great signing' date=' though that must be a big worry for Argentinos now.[/quote']

Has he? I haven't seen much action to be honest. Either way, over the course of a season, he's going to provide a lot more than people like Caballero and Castroman. If Bieler, Hauche and Luguercio could click as a front three, Racing really do have the potential to have the most prolific attack in the league, but it's not always as simple as that. And yes, the loss for Argentinos is huge. I wonder how they will fare without him...

Excellent thread Andy and great write up on Burdisso' date=' the most in depth on any player i think i've ever seen on here.[/quote']

That's how I do all my player reports - check the first page for more of them. ;)

Is it usual for Boca/River to play each other in a friendly?

Honestly' date=' I don't know. I've never really taken much notice of the [i']Torneo De Veranos[/i] or summer friendlies before. Tom might know, if he would care to answer...?

I have a question regarding Bolatti' date=' now he's gone to Fiorentina he'll be reviewed next week some time but what do you think he'll get, as obviously his rating will be based on his Argentinian league performances.[/quote']

Yes, he'll get reviewed with the Italian lot, but his rating will be based on what he's done since he was last reviewed (i.e. what he's done with Huracan and Argentina). With Huracan being so dire during the Apertura (although, he was the standout performer [but that wasn't hard]), I would have thought his rise would have been minimal at best, but his caps for the National Team should help him get a +1 minimum. Although it shouldn't make much difference, his move to Fiorentina will probably get him a +2 to 88, despite him not even figuring yet. Perhaps odd, but if he had somehow wound up staying at Huracan, I just could not seen him getting a +2 then.

Archived