GC75-Official Thread. News/Match Reports!

Re: GC75-Official Thread. News/Match Reports!

aston-villa.jpg

Life at Villa after Oneil and Young ?

Since taking over at Aston Villa from his hero Martin Oneil, Johnson set about making his mark on the club he supported as a child. Johnson was keen to keep Oneil on board along with the majority of the Oneils staff, Oneil took over John Robertson job as assistant manager whilst John moved to an Academy role.

Johnsons only real transfer has been the sale of Ashley Young to Russian giants CSKA Moskow, in return, Villa recieved, Mameev, Schenikov and Piliev, all players who Johnson believes will have a bright future at the club.

What is most interesting about Johnsons reign, is that after 13 games in all competitions, Aston Villa remain unbeaten, playing some of the top teams in the EPL and Scotland.

Tonight, Villa welcomed Man Utd to Villa park, a stadium that the United fans crudely dub "3 point park". The travelling manc were left bitterly dissapointed as Aston Villa ran out easy winners. In the last two EPL games Villa have played Liverpool and Man Utd, grabbing four points in total

Aston Villa 3-1 Manchester United

Man Utd actuallt edged possession, but with slightly more shots and a clinical approach Villa ran out winners. Downing, Mameev and James Milner got the goals which sunk united, who were prior to this game, the league leaders. Aston Villa currently lie in 5th place, and will face Manchester City in the next round of the SMFA shield.

• 2 weeks later...

Lyon Update:

Top of the league and progress in The Cup

French Cup round 3- Rennes 0 Lyon1

Lyon secured a passage into the q/f with a solitary goal from Gomis in a rather dull game but the victory is all that matters :)

League Matchday 8- Lyon 2 Bordeaux 0

Lyon welcomed French champions Bordeaux to the Stade gerland in another test of Lyon's title credentials which they passed with flying colours as a double salvo within 5mins midway through the 2nd half from Malouda and Lisandro making the difference as Lyon comprehensively outplayed one of there major rivals.

League Matchday 9- Monaco 0 Lyon 2

Lyon eased to another victory with an early goal from Clerc calming the nerves before Gomis finished the contest early in the 2nd half as Lyon played out time for a comfotable win.

SMFA Champions Cup- Group Stage-Fixture 3 Lyon 3 Schalke 0

Lyon fielded a very youthful side and the youngsters stepped up to the plate to give Lyon there first points of the SMFA Campaign after 2previous losses, a double from Yildrim and a strike from Austrian midfeilder Pehliven

League Matchday 10- Lyon 4 Rennes 4

In an amazing game Lyon took the lead on 4 occasions but were pegged back each time by a determined and spirited Rennes side who were galvanised by hat-trick hero Ismael bangoura who was mainly responsible for Rennes earning a point. Bastos, Gomis, El Hamdaoui and Pjanic getting Lyon's goals but it was a case of 2points dropped as Lyon went haywire defensively and Rennes capitalised.

league Matchday 11- Nantes 0 Lyon 2

A double by striker Yildrim who again impressed helped Lyon maintain there lead at the top of the table by 2 points from a Lille side who are putting up a really good challenge currently, these 2 teams have a 5point gap over other contenders Bordeaux, Valenciennes and Le Mans.

French Shield Q/F Valenciennes 0 Lyon 1

Lyon gained revenge for the league defeat they suffered here earlier in the season Gomis getting the goal that fires Lyon into the Semi Final and a date with Div 2 side Bastia

"I am very happy with the way things are progressing we are going nicely in the league, the French Shield Semi to come, the SMFA position is not as healthy but that has time to change. I am extremely delighted with our solid defence which has kept 9 clean sheets out of the last 10 games and the blip against Rennes aside we are looking to be a formidable outfit and we can take high hopes into the rest of the season"

After a not so good start to the season, Panathinaikos seemed to have gotten back on track, but it seams as if their struggles are back. Here is a quick review on Panathinaikos' season so far:

Game one: Panathinaikos start the season on a bad note, a 1-0 loss to PAOK.

Games 2-4: 3 straight draws to the Greek giants, one in the SMFA League making things hard in both the league and the SMFA Shield.

Games 5 and 6: A 4-0 win gives them their first win of the season, while a 3-2 win over Racing Santander ensures that they make it through to the next s round in the SMFA Shield.

Game 7: Another loss. 1-3 vs AC Omonia.

Games 8-14: 7 straights wins, 5 n the league, on in the Greek Shield and one in the SMFA Shield, and Panathinaikos look as if they're back on track, as they sit 1st place on the table.

Games 15-17: 3 straight losses. 1 goal in 3 games, and 6 scored against. 2 back-to-back losses to rivals AEK Athens and Olympiacos are a big blow, as they are kicked out of the Greek Shield.

djibril-cisse-2009-7-28-15-41-34.jpg

Cisse looks down as Panathinaikos' struggles continue.

Panathinaikos are looking to bet back on track, yet again, as they sold Alexandros Tziolis (DM/24 yr o) to AJ Auxerre, and Evangelos Mantzios (CF/ 26 yr o) to AE Larisa. In stead, Panathinaikos have managed to sign two Argentinean players from their Argentinean clubs. Nicolás Maxi Moralez (AM/Wing/ 22 yr o) from Veléz Sársfield, and Diego González (CM/21 yr o) from Lanús.

Manager Tadashi Beddie Says

I think that we still have a chance. We just need to work harder, and we'll be fine. I'm sure that our new players will contribute fully to help our team. Maxi [Moralez] is a very great winger with an even better future ahead, while Diego [González] is a very good player, and I am sure that he, too, will improve in the future.

Japan Take All 3 Points

japan-home-kit-2010.jpg

Nakamura: Japa's Hero

The Japan National Team earned a hardfought win in Yokohama against Cameroon. Japanese centerbacks Nakazawa and Tulio were somehow able to keep the Inter. Milan goal machine Eto'o at bay throughout the match. Japan were the better team, though, with 56% possetion, and 19 shots (11 on goal), while Cameroon with 44% possetion, and 10 shots (5 on target).

sw20080528a1a.jpg

Nakamura's Freekick

"It was hard fought, and although I know of Cameroon's power, I was confident that we could do the job" says manager Beddie. "I can see the Showpiece tournament in our future, but before I get too confident, we must finish our qualifying campaign. Once we are in, I am thinking of trying some new players, including call-ups for Kashiwagi Yosuke(Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Naoaki Aoyama (Shimizu S-Pulse), Kanazaki Mu (Oita Trinita), Yasuyuki Konno (Sunderland), Keisuke Honda (VVV-Venlo), Hiroyuki Taniguchi (Kawasaki Frontale), Shinji Ono (VFL Bochum), Koji Yamase (Yokohama F. Marinos), Yoo Okubo (Vissel Kobe), Kisho Yano (Albirex Niigata), Tatsuya Tanaka (Urawa Red Diamons), Hisato Sato (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), and Yuya Osako (Real Madrid), among others."

My Abedeen team doing pretty well actually, Im sitting second in the SPL with Celtic pulling away with a 7 point lead. Afer that though its a very tight league with just 4 points seperating 2nd to 6th. Tonight I have 4th placed Rnagers away, would take a point right now.

Also in the Shield I have made it to the semi's with me drawing Rangers away :rolleyes: Tough game but I'll be going all out to get to the final, that match takes place on the 28th.

Hamburg lost the first game of the season to Bayer Levekusen but since then have went on a 17 game unbeaten run in all competitions, but that came to an end on saturday. :(

Hamburg face Spurs in leg two of the second round of the SMFA Shield tonight, with the first leg being tied at 1-1.

Oneil: Johnson will continue to push Villa forward

article-0-03EA4028000005DC-582_306x423.jpg

These were the words of the ex boss of Aston Villa and now assistant manager to new boy on the block Adam Johnson. In a interesting and positive press release, Oneil had a few words to say on the expectations this season, the squad, the manager and the transfer rumour mill.

" Firstly i want to say, i was very dissapointed originally when the club told me they are looking to bring in a younger manager, but im not one to step in the way of progress, and i think it was a savy move from the Mr.Lerner, i was over the moon when informed that Adam was a big big fan of mine, it made the blow a little easier, it got even better for me when he told me there would be a job waiting for me if i wish to take it, i couldnt refuse. I have put alot of effort into Aston Villa in recent years but i feel that Adam will continue to push them on, to meet the fans and players ambitions of being a top four club again.

Our expectations this season are a little all over the place, its hard to say what you want to achieve in a single season, especially as we are competing in all competitions available to us. I think a top 6 finish, and a couple of quarter final or later apperances will please the majority of fans, although i know of one man who wouldnt be happy with that, the gaffer, he honestly believes, and has the players believing that honours can be won this season and i completely agree with him. we have some very talented players.

I think our squad is looking good, we have some real good players and Adam has managed to bring in some exciting youth such as Kakuta, Pacheo, Schenikov, Piliev not to mention a few players who add quality like Kacar and Mameev"

Gabriel-Agbonlahor-001.jpg

One of the most impressive facts about Aston Villas campaign is that they are undefeated in all competitions, 22 games with not one single team able to beat them yet, teams such Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Man City and Everton have all tried, and failed to beat Aston Villa.

One of the reasons many believe the team is doing so well is that the team does not rely on one player to score all the goals, 10 different players have scored in the league this year, with only young Rui Patricio , the Portuguese keeper not grabbing a goal from the main starting 11.

A impressive defensive record also helps and with players such as Dunne, Warnock, Young and Cuellar at the back, it takes alot to score several goals past Aston Villa.

Aston Villa currently lie in 5th place, 3 points behind second place Man Utd who Vill destroyed earlier on in the season. next up for Villa is a tricky game against a strong Man City side, with two draws in there last 2 games ( against Chelsea and Everton ) Johnson is looking for all three points.[/

• 2 weeks later...

Lyon Update:

Lyon hit sticky patch, should really pay more attention all I do is my tactics gotta get moving in the transfer market :P

League Matchday 13- Lyon 1 Le Mans 2

Lyon slipped to a shock home defeat against a Le mans team who were fielding many 2nd string players, not much good to say about this than write it off as a bad day at the office the players, the management we were all shocking and the fans deserve better.

League Matchday 14- Sochaux 0 Lyon 3

Lyon bounced back from the shock loss at le Mans with a comprehensive win at a poor Sochaux side, young gun Sercan Yildrim getting a brace before Lisandro put the seal on the victory.

SMFA Champions Cup-Fixture 4- Lyon 2 Sao Paulo 2

Lyon went a goal down early but fought back to take the lead after a rousing 2nd half display through Gomis and Yildrim however Lyon were denied the win in the crueliest possible fashion as Florent Malouda proved to be the unlucky man as he put through his own net to ensure Sao paulo a share of the spoils. A draw does nothing for both sides and Lyon will probably need to win away at Juventus in there next game to have any chance of progression.

League Matchday 15- Lyon 2 SM Caen 1

Lyon earned another victory in a game which was a lot more comfotable than the scoreline suggests as lyon dominated proceedings througout, the damage was done early through goals by Lisandro and Pehliven, before Caen pulled one back late in the game.

League matchday 16- Toulouse 1 Lyon 2

Lyon earned a magnificent victory after falling behind early but a stirring 2nd half fightback saw goals from Pjanic and a late winner from Lisandro earning the Lyon boys the points

French Shield Semi Final- Lyon 1 SC Bastia 1 (2-3pens)

Lyon slipped to a shock semi final loss as unheralded and unfancied Bastia defied all the odds to reach the final. Lyon appeared to be coasting to victory having dominated throughout and Kallstrom gave them the lead but Lyon were rocked by an 83rd min equaliser by the unfancied Div 2 and Bastia went on to win the lottery of penalties which left Lyon immensely disappointed as this was a golden opportunity to win the first trophy of the season.

League Matchday 17- Lyon 3 Grenoble 2

Lyon resumed winning ways with a hard earned ovictory over a plucky Grenoble side, Gomis and a brace from Lisandro making the difference.

League Matchday 18- Auxerre 1 Lyon 0

Lyon's indifferent form continued as they were soundly beaten by a hungry Auxerre side and Lyon simply did not rise to the challenge and will need to play much better if they want to cement there lead at the top of Ligue 1. Thse results leave Lyon only 4 points clear from a hard chasing Marseille as we enter the 2nd half of the league season

Gutted, lost in semis of cup to Utd on penalities, i thought, yes i can still technically say im unbeaten this season over the course of 90 minutes, then i get trashed in the league by Arsenal 4-0 ! puts my top four ambitions on thin ice ! i need to win me next game simples.

My squad is also to thin, may have to sell Milner, but it will be my last resort. B)

Just taken over a decent Dundee Utd side in the past week or so.

Whoever had it before had done a not bad job building up but appeared to go on a bit of a losing streak.

Just one 2 games on bounce and look as though I can get back into contention after a 4-2 win over Aberdeen:p

Managed to bring in Jackson Martinez, who I was surprised nobody had snapped up!

Also brought in Aragon in goal, Constantin and De Ceglie(loan) in defence, Yttergard Jenssen in midfield, Martinez and Ghezzal up front.

Still looking for 1 more good quality loan signing but things are looking up for the "Terrors" :D

picture.php?albumid=134&pictureid=834

INDIFFERENT START FOR STIFLER

Since leaving Deportivo top of La Liga to take up the reigns at Bordeaux 2 weeks ago, Stifler has not enjoyed the best of starts at French heavyweights Bordeaux.

1 win, 1 draw and 1 defeat in his first 3 league games were sandwiched by a home defeat at the hands of Manchester United in the SMFA Champions Cup.

Stiflers problems are further enhanced by the continued lack of fitness of playmaker Gourcuff and the suspension of Chamakh for the visit to Sochaux tonight.

The line-up will therefore be -

picture.php?albumid=134&pictureid=835

BORDEAUX STRUGGLES CONTINUE

picture.php?albumid=137&pictureid=838

Bordeaux continue their indifferent start to life under Stifler.

They dominated possession from start to finish in this match, but were unable to turn that possession into 3 points.

Sochaux always carried a threat on the break and should have taken the lead on 15 mins when PRIVAT hit the post when clean through on goal.

A number of chances went both ways until the 63rd minute when BUTIN provided the crucial breakthrough for Sochaux with a powerful shot from a loose ball in the area, clipping the post on it's way in.

The game continued in a similar pattern of possession but ultimately frustration for Stiflers men. Some salvation was to come on 85 minutes when FERNANDO was able to salvage a point with a good finish from close range.

The focus is now on Wednesdays game at home to Toulouse and whether talisman GOURCUFF will be fit to play - and hopefully fire up his stuttering team mates.

AC MILAN Update

At the halfway stage of the season Olivers men sit 2nd in Serie A 5 points behind arch rivals Inter Milan.

After going through a fine run of form Milan have had indifferent results of late.

MILAN 3-0 GENOA

Goals from Ronaldinho, Nesta & Ledesma put Milan top of Serie A after dominating the game from start to finish.

MILAN 3-3 BESIKTAS

Podolski, Ambrosini & Inzaghi put Milan 3-0 up, seem to be cruising to victory however 3 goals in a 14 minute spell help Besiktas to a draw and Olivers men now face a tricky away game to try and progress to the QF's.

UDINESE 2-2 MILAN

After Bales dismissal on 8 minutes Olivers men faced an uphill struggle however goals from Pirlo and Ambrosini put Milan 2 up before Udinese hit back to seal a point, 2nd game in succession Milan through away a lead.

MILAN 2-3 LIVORNO

Very disappointing game whereby Olivers men concede more stupid goals, after drawing level twice Livorno seal the win in the 85th minute with a goal from Kislyak.

Next up on Wednesday is Bologna away which hopefully we can go on a run and put pressure on Inter at the top.

Bordeaux 0 - 0 Toulouse

Despite dominating possession, Bordeaux continue their poor run, drawing at home to Toulouse.

Returning playmaker, Yoann GOURCUFF, played well and was at the heart of most of Bordeaux's best moves, however this was not enough to inspire the win that manager Stifler craves ....

"We are needing a win in the league to give us that lift we are looking for. I am confident that things will start clicking into place soon."

Transfer News

Bordeaux have sold experienced full-back Franck JURRIETTI and goalkeeper Ulrich RAME for straight cash deals.

The £7m Bruno PEIRERINHA arriving from Sochaux bolsters the strength of the squad.

Lyon Update:

SMFA Chams Cup Grp Stage Fixture 5- Juventus 0 Lyon 2

Lyon travelled to Italy more in hope than expectation but the fans who travelled all that way went home extremely happy after Lyon went into the Lions den and beat one of the biggest teams in Europe. A great display was capped by goals from Gomis and El Hamdaoui. This sees Lyon after a slow start move up to 2nd in the group with just an away tie to Schalke left knowing a draw should be enough to progress.

League Matchday 19-Lyon 3 Saint Etienne 1

Lyon got back to winning ways in the league with a well earnt victory over a tough looking Saint Etienne goals from Bastos, kallstrom and El Hamdaoui doing the damage.

League Matchday 20- Nice 2 Lyon 4

Lyon were made to work hard for the win in a game which was undoubtably turned by the sending off of Nice attacker Bamogo when they were leafing 1-0 this gave Lyon the impetus to push on and they made the numerical advantage pay as 2 from Bastos, Lisandro and Bastos pulled Lyon into a comfotable lead before Nice got a consolation goal.

League Matchday 21- Lyon 3 Lille 0

In a clash against another memebr of the top 5 Lyon secured another impressive victory inspired by Turkish teenager Yildrim who has quickly earnt cult staus with the Lyon fans his brace and a goal from the ever dependable Lisandro keeping up the good form.

Lyon are now 7points clear from marseille in 2nd who look to be the challengers for the title. In transfer News one major bit of business was concluded which saw Moroccan striker Chamakh join the club from french rivals Bordeaux for a fee of 2m+Gomis+Gonalons. Pauley is said to be happy with the purchase as although both Gomis and Gonalons are good players Pauley has always been an admirer of Chamakh and he should help to form a lethal strike partnership and provide stiff competition for the likes of Yildrim, Lisandro and El Hamdaoui.

AC MILAN woes continue

Bologna 2-2 AC Milan

Milan can find themselves very fortunate to come away from the Renato Dall'Ara with a point after Bologna dominated large parts of the game.

The Rossoneri found themselves 2 goals down at half time but after a half time grilling from Oliver Ambrosini and Matuidi fired in goals at the start of the second half to share the points, Carlos Tevez on his thrid start since his big money move from Manchester City was sent off in the 87th minute after spitting in an opponents face, Oliver will fine Tevez 2 weeks wages.

Next up Catania home on Saturday night.

carlos-tevez2.jpg

OKAKA CHUKA, Stefano on way to Tannadice!

okaka_stefano.jpg

Dundee United manager Mike Robbins is said to be very happy with his latest signing the highly rated Stefano Okaka Chuka formerly with Roma.

Manager Robbins said "I noticed that he was currently playing at FC Basel after being traded there and offered him ther chance to further his career and maximise his potential here at Dundee Utd and terms and conditions were quickly thrashed out between ourselves."

"My aim here at United is to build a squad that will be capable of challenging the Old Firm for honours and I believe that, along with my other signings of Jackson Martinez, Marius Constantins and Rorys Aragon, Stefano will fit right in and given time will be an outstanding talent for Dundee United"

Stefano stated that he was delighted with this move and it was an ideal opportunity for him at this stage of his career.

Japan Manager Tadashi Beddie Names Young Squad for World Cup Qualifier Against Latvia

Japan Manager Tadashi Beddie named a young and unexperienced squad for the SMFA World Cup Qualifier against Latvia to played on January 15th at the Nissan Stadium in Yokohama, Japan.

The squad is as follows:

[First Name LAST NAME, Club(country of club*)]

*clubs without country names are Japanese

Goal Keepers: (2)

Shusaku NISHIKAWA, Oita Trinita

Shuichi GONDA, Aberdeen (Scotland)

Defenders (6)

Michihiro YASUDA, Fluminense (Brazil)

Yuto NAGATOMO, AEK Athens (Greece)

Atsuto UCHIDA, Fluminense (Brazil)

Naoaki AOYAMA, Shimizu S-Pulse

Maya YOSHIDA, Livorno (Italy)

Tomoaki MAKINO, Sanfrecce Hiroshima

Midfielders (6)

Keisuke HONDA, VVV-Venlo (Netherlands)

Takuma EDAMURA, Shimizu S-Pulse

Mu KANAZAKI, Panathinaikos (Greece)

Shinji KAGAWA, AC Milan (Italy)

Takashi INUI, Cerezo Osaka

Naoki YAMADA, Panathinaikos (Greece)

Forwards (5)

Shinzo KOROKI, Kashima Antlers

Shinji OKAZAKI, Panathinaikos (Greece)

Ryuta SASAKI, Kashima Antlers

Takayuki MORIMOTO, Catania (Italy)

Yuya OSAKO, Real Madrid (Spain)

Results to come in ASAP

Experimental Japanese Side Succumb to Lowly Latvia

An experimental Japanese National Team, with no player older than 23, succumbed to a Latvia side that the full Japanese team had downed 3-0 several weeks before.

It was a very disappointing game, with a player being sent off merely 7 minutes into the first half. From there, the asian side was very unconvincing, losing 2-0 in the end. Japan's world cup hopes take a major blow with this loss as they are knocked out of first place in world cup qualifying group 12. Japan will go all out for the remaining qualifiers.

AC MILAN 3-1 CATANIA

After 4 games without a win the Rossoneri got back to winning ways in the league tonight with a comfortable 3-1 victory over Catania, Lukas Podolski (pictured) was the star of the show bagging a hattrick before half time setting AC on there way to victory, Mascara bagged a consolation in the second half for Catania, AC stay 4 points adrift of arch rivals Inter Milan who beat Roma 1-0.

Lukas_Podolski_.jpg

BESIKTAS 1-2 AC MILAN

After blowing a 3 goal lead in the first leg at the San Siro, Milan were really up against it going into tonights game at Inonu, Oliver put out a strong lineup in the hope of turning the tie around, the task was made even harder when Dembele scored after 21 minutes putting Besiktas ahead in the tie, on 38 minutes Pirlo gave Milan a lifeline smashing the ball in the back of the net via the woodwork to level the aggregate, with the game fizzling out in the second half it looked as though Milan were going to be sent packing by the turks, however there was to be a late twist summer signing Christian Daniel Ledesma popped up to secure Milans passage in the Quarter Finals by scoring the winner in the 85th minute sending the travelling Rossoneri fans wild.

andrea-pirlo.jpg

ledesma_imago_455.jpg

Lyon Update:

League matchday 22- Lorient 0 Lyon 2

Lyon eased to yet another victory after proving to strong for there Counterparts, a couple of unsung hereoes in Clerc and Austrian midfielder Pehliven with the goals as Lyon maintained there excellent league form.

SMFA Champs Cup Grp Stage Fix 6- Schalke 1 Lyon 2

Lon wnt to Germany with a full strength side knowing a point would see them qualify but they completed the job in style with another fine victory. Turkish sensation Yildrim settled early nerves before Kobiashvilli got Schalke level and revived there hopes however Lyon's talisman Lisandro broke German hearts with a 75th min strike to settle the game. The win actually means Lyon finish top in the group with Juventus the other qualifier. Lyon have been handed an extremely tough tiw in the knockout stage with german opposition again in Bayern Munich.

League Matchday 23= Lyon 4 PSG 2

Lyon playing a mix of first teamers and reserves again showed the quality in depth they are able to call upon defeating one of there main rivals with consumate ease. lyon came out the blocks firing and were 3-0 up within half hour with a scintilating brand of football bastos, sakho scoring against his old club and Clerc. PSG to there credit did mount a comeback to force it to 3-2 before bastos finished the game.

"I am delighted to open up a 10 point gap at the top the team i playing unbelievably well we are playing with no fear and feel untouchable at the moment. European qualification to the knockout stages was an exceptional achievement after losing our first 2games and bayern will be a tough test but we have full belief and a wonderful group of lads all willing to give there all and hopefully they will later this season get the success in terms of trophies they deserve"

• 2 weeks later...

SMFA Champions Cup

Round 1 Leg 2 Preview:

Bayern München (2) V (1) Lyon: Should be a tight match with both teams in really good form but Bayern are the favourites to progress here after an excellent 2-1 victory in France. Bayern currently have a 4 point lead at the top of the German league while Lyon have been running away with the French league a massive 16 points clear at the top. Both teams have excellent managers, Dai Winston for Bayern and Ray Pauley for Lyon. Prediction 2-1 Bayern to progress.

Boca Juniors (0) V (2) Villarreal: A comfortable 2-0 victory for Villarreal in the first leg should prove enough to see them progress. Having said that the form side here has to be Boca who are unbeaten in 7 in the league, whilst Villarreal have only recorded 1 victory in their last 8 league games. However Villarreal do currently boast the competitions top scorer, Joseba Llorente with 5 goals. Prediction 2-1 Boca but Villarreal to progress overall.

Chivas de Guadalajara (0) V (3) Real Madrid: A confident performance by Real Madrid in the first leg makes them odds on favourites to progress here. Despite a wobble in the league recently which has seen their lead at the top cut down from 10 points to now just 3 Madrid should prove too strong for Guadalajara. Real are expected to play their reserves for this match but they should still progress with ease against a currently unmanaged Guadalajara side. Madrid also have perhaps the greatest manager of all time at the helm. Prediction 1-2 Madrid to go through.

Club América (0) V (1) Internazionale: Inter take the slenderest of leads over to Mexico and this should be a very tough tie for them. They are the overwhelming favourites in this tie but a shock could be on the cards. Both teams are top of their respective leagues and in good form. No doubt Inter boast the better players here but Club América wont be a pushover. Prediction 2-1 Inter to progress on away goals.

Juventus (1) V (2) Werder Bremen: This tie is finely in the balance here. Juventus's away goal could prove to be crucial here. Juventus have had an uninspiring season thus far, sitting 15th in the league whole Werder are 3rd in the German league. The game probably hold's more importance to Juventus and no doubt they will be up for this game, however they have really struggled to score goals this season. Will likely be a low scoring affair which could go either way. Prediction 1-0 Juventus to progress on away goals.

Liverpool (2) V (2) Fiorentina: Liverpool go into this match as favourites having come away with an excellent 2-2 draw in Florence. Both teams find themselves way off the pace in their respective title races so both teams will be all out for the win here. Liverpool holding home advantage should progress here, but dont discount Fiorentina completely as they are still in this tie. Prediction 2-1 Liverpool to progress.

Manchester United (3) V (4) Roma: These two cooked up a thrilling encounter when they last met and hopefully more of the same coming up. Manchester United are in great form at the moment, are 6 points clear at the top of the EPL and should be full of confidence. Roma have been stuttering a bit lately and United could prove too strong for them. Prediction: 3-1 Manchester United to progress.

Marseille (1) V (1) Atlético Madrid: Despite Marseille holding home advantage Atlético are the favourites here. Marseille havent won in 5 games in the league and are missing some key players through injuries, while Atlético are in scintillating form - 9 wins and 2 draws in their last 11 league games. Prediction 0-2 Atlético to progress.