Sign in to follow this  
swanseajack

Swansea City V Cardiff City - Match Discussion Thread

Re: Swansea City V Cardiff City - Match Discussion Thread

Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins is feeling a bit left out in deepest darkest West Glamorgan.

While Cardiff bask in the media spotlight with a fourth appearance on live TV this season so far and a 5th already scheduled for December' date=' this will be the first time that Swansea have been selected (and only then because Cardiff are involved).

The Welsh Assembly, The Millennium Centre, The Millennium Stadium are fixtures of the Capital that rankle the locals down Swansea way. Radio Wales and The Western Mail are seen as local media to Cardiff.

There has always been a feeling in Swansea that Cardiff get everything. What about the beauty that surrounds them with places like the Gower and it's fabulous coastline. Swansea itself has it's own bay, marina and waterfront developments but instead of championing themselves the place is obsessed with moaning about Cardiff.

Jenkins this time is talking about the way that his club is overlooked by the media, locally and nationally.

"I have been watching Swansea for 35 or 40 years and we've always been overlooked," he told the Swansea paper The South Wales Evening Post.

"Unless we win the Championship by 25 points and then break into the top four in the Premier League, we are going to get overlooked for most things.

"It doesn't matter what we do down here, people will find a reason to overlook us.

"I am talking about our media coverage, on the television and in the papers, both nationally and in Wales.

"Quite often we don't get a mention and that always seems to have been the case."

Come on Swansea, stop moaning about what you haven't got and talk up what you have got. Maybe I'm complacent because I'm from Cardiff but I don't spend all my time worrying about what Swansea might have or might do. It seems though that what's happening in Cardiff is near the front of the minds of many Swansea folk.

Maybe if Swansea win on Saturday they will see the positives in their City. I imagine if Cardiff are victorious any pro Cardiff thoughts the locals might have in Swansea will be locked away forever.[/quote']

This is how everybody feels in Swansea, whenever Cardiff play on T.V (as they did on sunday) Cardiff always are spoken about a lot and about how they play and ect. whilst opposition (forest on sunday) aren't spoken much about.

Cardiff have always had the spotlight over Swansea, mainly because of being the capital city, and when Swansea play pundits like Steve Claridge and Peter Beagrie who don't know what they're on about undermine Swansea as a team. Claridge mainly, but Beagrie has done in the past

:D What a load of old pap' date=' Swansea's chairman sound bitter much? They took plenty of plaudits last season when they played attractive, attacking football under Martinez. I'd suggest the reason they've not got on TV this season is because rather then choose to continue that philosophy they've hired a very pragmatic manager who is very much defensively minded, which doesn't create a very watchable spectacle.[/quote']

Slating Huw Jenkins :confused:

Works for nothing, a fan of the swans, does the best for the football club and without him we wouldn't be a football club. Was right to speak out about martinez leaving, as he said many things that he obviously did not mean, for example he said he wouldn't leave unless he was sacked and wouldn't leave for another club, yet he leaves, but to rub salt in the wounds he said exactly the same thing at Wigan.

And for some reason your saying we're now defensivley minded under Souza, infact we're much more attacking minded and will put on 2/3 strikers when we're drawing or losing. We still pass the ball as we used t, but we're not afraid to play the long ball anymore.

I'm shore we'll get some more games on T.V, but it's not really aimed at Cardiff, but Sky Sports + Pundits like Steve Claridge.

Works for nothing' date=' a fan of the swans, does the best for the football club and without him we wouldn't be a football club. Was right to speak out about martinez leaving, as he said many things that he obviously did not mean, for example he said he wouldn't leave unless he was sacked and wouldn't leave for another club, yet he leaves, but to rub salt in the wounds he said exactly the same thing at Wigan.

And for some reason your saying we're now defensivley minded under Souza, infact we're much more attacking minded and will put on 2/3 strikers when we're drawing or losing. We still pass the ball as we used t, but we're not afraid to play the long ball anymore.

I'm shore we'll get some more games on T.V, but it's not really aimed at Cardiff, but Sky Sports + Pundits like Steve Claridge.[/quote']

I really can't take anything you say seriously, every opinion you offer on Swansea is so horribly bias, it reads like it's come straight from the clubs PR department.

I'm sure Huw Jenkins works for nothing but I don't really care that he does, or what he's done in the past, it's absolutely irrelevant to anything I said. In the statement above he came across sounding bitter and almost infantile in his moaning, I just pointed out how whiny and victimised he sounded. Swansea have got no God given right to be on television as much as Cardiff. They're a more high profile club over the past decade and will be treated as such with regards to TV appearances. All the bobbins about what he said about Martinez is very nice but it means nothing to me, it has nothing to do with anything I said.

Are you seriously going to claim you're more offensively minded under Sousa? It's an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Attack minded teams don't typically score only 11 goals in 15 games. Less than a goal a game does not suggest an attacking style. They also tend to leave gaps at the back, again you've only conceded 10 goals this season. Hardly offering up a goalfeast with this supposedly more attack minded football. Surprising given that Martinez earned plaudits last season for flowing, attacking football. As he is this season with Wigan. Meanwhile Sousa, both with QPR and now with Swansea, is regarded as rather more pragmatic, which shows in the results.

It doesn't really matter who he aimed his little tantrum at, it's pathetic. There are 24 teams in this league with varying degrees of coverage. You don't hear all the other teams who don't get as many televised games moaning about it, it's just the way of the world unfortunately.

+ Cardiff fans' date=' is Paul Quinn fit???[/quote']

No reason to think he isn't, but he will be on the bench anyway as the 17yr old who chose to leave you for us will be at right back.

And exactly how many league goals have your lot scored so far this season?

Oh yes...11 OOPS!

Are you seriously going to claim you're more offensively minded under Sousa? It's an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Attack minded teams don't typically score only 11 goals in 15 games. Less than a goal a game does not suggest an attacking style. They also tend to leave gaps at the back' date=' again you've only conceded 10 goals this season. Hardly offering up a goalfeast with this supposedly more attack minded football. Surprising given that Martinez earned plaudits last season for flowing, attacking football. As he is this season with Wigan. Meanwhile Sousa, both with QPR and now with Swansea, is regarded as rather more pragmatic, which shows in the results.[/quote']

What are you on about???

Less goals doesn't mean were not more defensive minded, it's probably because we've lost 35 in Gomez and Scotland, it will pick up with more players picking up form but it does take time to build scoring confidence throughout the team.

Wigan get thumped in half of their games, it's not as if he's done a good job their, although i've got nothing against him they've got a job to survive relegation

They've only got 2 natural strikers in Scotland :) and Rodellaga, and certainly need to strengthen the squad in january if they have the money to

And exactly how many league goals have your lot scored so far this season?

Oh yes...11 OOPS!

welcome to the forum :)

I can't believe that many people find Jenkins views as "bitter"

It happens all the time, as Swansea are consistantly overshadowed by Cardiff, even though Swansea play the best football in the league, and you can't say anything like it for Cardiff.

Same happens with the hosting of the Welsh National Team,

When Swansea opened the liberty as a brand new ground we've only hosted a Wales game twice, and Cardiff will host Scotland already as soon as they build their legoground

But out of football it is not the same, the venue is the only venue in Wales to host Pink this year towards the end of this month, and it's been the venue for an Elton John consert aswell as many others.

What are you on about???

Less goals doesn't mean were not more defensive minded' date=' it's probably because we've lost 35 in Gomez and Scotland, it will pick up with more players picking up form but it does take time to build scoring confidence throughout the team.

Wigan get thumped in half of their games, it's not as if he's done a good job their, although i've got nothing against him they've got a job to survive relegation

They've only got 2 natural strikers in Scotland :) and Rodellaga, and certainly need to strengthen the squad in january if they have the money to[/quote']

If you seriously want to claim you're more attack minded under Sousa then it's your perogative. All the evidence points to the contrary, I've read articles praising your defensive strength under Sousa but bemoaning that it's at the expense of your attacking mentality. Goals scored and goals conceded suggest you're a defensive minded team first and foremost, and the one game I've seen you in this season you were probably came with the most defensive minded set up I've seen at the Albion this season. It was good management, it worked, so his decision to play that way is vindicated, but it's just not attacking.

I'm bored talking about your club and getting the same tired spin back, it goes round in circles. Most of your posts read like a Swansea FC press release, if I actually took them seriously I'd think your club close to perfect.

Works for nothing' date=' a fan of the swans, does the best for the football club and without him we wouldn't be a football club. Was right to speak out about martinez leaving, as he said many things that he obviously did not mean, for example he said he wouldn't leave unless he was sacked and wouldn't leave for another club, yet he leaves, but to rub salt in the wounds he said exactly the same thing at Wigan.

I'm shore we'll get some more games on T.V, but it's not really aimed at Cardiff, but Sky Sports + Pundits like Steve Claridge.[/quote']

What are you on about???

Less goals doesn't mean were not more defensive minded' date=' it's probably because we've lost 35 in Gomez and Scotland, it will pick up with more players picking up form but it does take time to build scoring confidence throughout the team.

They've only got 2 natural strikers in Scotland :) and Rodellaga, and certainly need to strengthen the squad in january if they have the money to

welcome to the forum :)[/quote']

I can't believe that many people find Jenkins views as "bitter"

It happens all the time' date=' as Swansea are consistantly overshadowed by Cardiff, even though Swansea play the best football in the league, and you can't say anything like it for Cardiff.

Same happens with the hosting of the Welsh National Team,

When Swansea opened the liberty as a brand new ground we've only hosted a Wales game twice, and Cardiff will host Scotland already as soon as they build their legoground

But out of football it is not the same, the venue is the only venue in Wales to host Pink this year towards the end of this month, and it's been the venue for an Elton John consert aswell as many others.[/quote']

Got to agree with Roko7 here. swanseajack, would you please get out of your bubble where everything is perfect regarding Swansea City Football Club.

All Roko7 was doing in his initial post was pointing out that Jenkins sounded bitter in the quote posted by GrangeEndGone. And he did sound bitter. By just purely reading what he said in that post, it sounds like he resents the fact that Cardiff are always in the spotlight and Swansea are always languishing in the background. If you took of your rose-tinted spectacles (which are possibly the most effective rose-tinted spectacles to ever have come out of production) and read the post again from a neutral's perspective, you would realise the same thing. But I won't hold my breath.

It's obvious that you are bitter and resentful of the situation by what you have been saying. Why do you care? Do I care that Sheffield United get more attention than Sheffield Wednesday? Do Everton fans care that they less attention that Liverpool? Do Tottenham fans care that they get less attention than Arsenal? No, they don't. Perhaps they will slightly, although this would mainly be because they are such big rivals to each other, but most will realise that they deserve their attention due to the more esteemed history that they have and/or the better standing that the currently hold. It's quite simple; Cardiff are a bigger club than Swansea. Today, where the argument is most relevent, Cardiff are a bigger and better club than Swansea. They have had much more success at a consistently higher level than Swansea for many years. Only since last season have Swansea managed to catch up and begin to rival Cardiff once more.

You try to make the point that Swansea are more attacking-minded than last season, but this point is so incredibly flawed. I'll give you the credit now that Swansea were brilliant last season. Some of the football they played was fantastic and they deserved every plaudit that they received. But, since losing Scotland, Gomez and most importantly, Martinez, your play has suffered. It's just simple - you can't score goals. I'll sympathise that you have lost two of your best goalscorers and that you lack a natural finisher, but you're play this season is certainly not as open and free-flowing as last year. You are conceding fewer goals than last season, and this is not just down to your good defence (I'd rate Ashley Williams as one of the best defenders in the league). Your play has a much more defensive outlook to it this season which is why you are so effective at stopping teams play and getting through your tight formation. Because of this, and to accomodate this style, you can't attack so freely as it will compromise your defensive tactics. This hinders your ability to attack so effectively, create chances so often and score goals regularly.

Also, you knock Martinez for being ineffective at Wigan thus far. Do you remember watching Wigan play last season? They weren't a footballing side. They were very much a Bolton-like team who played big and strong and took advantage of their strengths, which was invariably from set-pieces. Martinez is trying to transform their style from workmanlike warriors to passing geniuses. This transformation doesn't happen overnight and he's actually not doing too badly so far. Wigan have 4 good wins already this season, including against Chelsea. Let's not forget as well, that there are teams in the EPL that are so way ahead of teams like Wigan, which is so unlike the CCC, meaning that Wigan will always lose more games than Swansea would in the Championship (with Martinez under the helm). Give him a break, he's doing a decent job and he'll keep them up comfortably.

One last thing - you knock "poor" commentators like Peter Beagrie and Steve Claridge. I'll give you Beagrie, because I don't rate him really highly either, but Claridge is a very intelligent and astute pundit. A lot of what he says is common sense.