The Official Scottish Football Thread

AFC Chewis

Re: The Official Scottish Football Thread

Liking the fact this Aberdeen team finally has depth and backbone I know we're only two games in but still. Flood looks like a great signing' date=' Zola seems to be hit and miss. Glad to see Hayes is finally picking up some form about time to bring on Celtic. [/font']

Might only be 7-0 this season :P

Hectors got a lot of promise as well, thought highly of around Reading

Might only be 7-0 this season :P

Hectors got a lot of promise as well' date=' thought highly of around Reading[/quote']

We have a chance Celtic are massively overrated and could struggle at the back. Hector has been good taken too many risks trying to play passes that aren't on but with Anderson so injury prone, Hector should get a decent run of games.

This might turn out to be a silly statement come the end of the season, but I genuinely think Aberdeen will win the SPL this year.

There squad looks very good this season, they've bought well and kept their best players and the winning shorelines could have been a lot more if they'd have had a bit more fortune.

Celtic have yet to get a decent replacement in for either of Wanyama or Hooper and I think Aberdeen will get there as teams playing Aberdeen have a different mentality to teams playing against Celtic, which I think will work in their favour.

This might turn out to be a silly statement come the end of the season' date=' but I genuinely think Aberdeen will win the SPL this year.

There squad looks very good this season, they've bought well and kept their best players and the winning shorelines could have been a lot more if they'd have had a bit more fortune.

Celtic have yet to get a decent replacement in for either of Wanyama or Hooper and I think Aberdeen will get there as teams playing Aberdeen have a different mentality to teams playing against Celtic, which I think will work in their favour.[/quote']

The thing is Celtic don't need replacements for Wanyama or Hooper to win the title, to challenge in Europe then yes they need them, but not to win the title.

All really hinges on whether or not we can beat Celtic on Saturday, which would shift is 6 clear of them, albeit with them having a game in hand. But it is certainly our best shot at it for a long long time. And maybe, just maybe if we can stay with 6-10 points of Celtic until March then they might get a bit nervous...

Never going to happen though I doubt, but always nice to dream.

This might turn out to be a silly statement come the end of the season' date=' but I genuinely think Aberdeen will win the SPL this year.

Celtic have yet to get a decent replacement in for either of Wanyama or Hooper and I think Aberdeen will get there as teams playing Aberdeen have a different mentality to teams playing against Celtic, which I think will work in their favour.[/quote']

Sorry but there is just no way. The last side to threaten the Glasgow grip on the SPL was just a brief thing by Hearts. Celtic found another gear and we couldn't handle the pressure of expectation each week. Granted we did nick second ahead of Rangers, but that was a poor Rangers side that season and it was only by a point. Plus we were much better then than Aberdeen are now. If Aberdeen were to get anywhere close to them (which I doubt in the long run) then Celtic would find another gear in the SPL and Aberdeen would need to find a way to deal with the pressures of winning every week just to keep up with Celtic never mind pass them.

Plus, Celtic could just purchase Aberdeens best couple of players and be done with it like the old firm used to do so regularly ;):eek:

Sorry but there is just no way. The last side to threaten the Glasgow grip on the SPL was just a brief thing by Hearts. Celtic found another gear and we couldn't handle the pressure of expectation each week. Granted we did nick second ahead of Rangers' date=' but that was a poor Rangers side that season and it was only by a point. Plus we were much better then than Aberdeen are now. If Aberdeen were to get anywhere close to them (which I doubt in the long run) then Celtic would find another gear in the SPL and Aberdeen would need to find a way to deal with the pressures of winning every week just to keep up with Celtic never mind pass them.

Plus, Celtic could just purchase Aberdeens best couple of players and be done with it like the old firm used to do so regularly ;):eek:[/quote']

I think the quality of the SPL has gone down a lot from back in 2006, especially the standard of the likes of Celtic. Without Rangers in the picture there's no real pressure on them, which means they haven't brought in quality and there best players are the likes of Chris Commons and Giorgios Samaras which aren't at the same standard of the main men for the Old Firm of that time.

I think the quality of the SPL has gone down a lot from back in 2006' date=' especially the standard of the likes of Celtic. Without Rangers in the picture there's no real pressure on them, which means they haven't brought in quality and there best players are the likes of Chris Commons and Giorgios Samaras which aren't at the same standard of the main men for the Old Firm of that time.[/quote']

I dunno man - Paul Telfer was in that side :D

Yes they had a better side then but I wouldn't say the players they have lost will make much bearing at SPFL level. The likes of Izaguirre, Matthews and Ledley are just examples of players linked with English premier league sides in recent seasons. The only problem they MAY have is finding a finisher good enough on a regular basis with Hooper gone but they will have enough firepower to win a very high amount of matches against poor opposition in Scotland.

It's more that people want an Aberdeen or a Motherwell to challenge Celtic, just to make it a bit interesting. In reality though, it's just a mismatch.

C'mon Scotland tonight! :D

And Aberdeen have no chance of winning the league there are so many reasons why it wont happen (finances, awful refs, lack of depth, injuries) All these factors and more are why we wont win also if we did the best players and manger who leave hence no stability so a team outside the Old Firm wont win the league for a long time.

Aberdeen bottled it, Celtic still dive and annoy the heck out of me, refs are useful and incredibly bad whats new. Really annoyed Celtic were there for the taking but we let them play and lost, despite how bad the ref was it got stuck it might have helped. Oh well, onwards and hopefully upwards.

I garauntee Celtic will coast the league by 15-20points,Aberdeen have not a hope in hell of winning the title.

Liking the fact this Aberdeen team finally has depth and backbone I know we're only two games in but still. Flood looks like a great signing' date=' Zola seems to be hit and miss. Glad to see Hayes is finally picking up some form about time to bring on Celtic. [/font']

Aberdeen will never be good enough - can't even beat one man playing in black :)

Scandalous decision for the red card - how can you have a goal scoring opportunity when the ball was already rolling off the pitch? Oh, it's because it's the sheep botherers, so that's an absolutely great decision :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest FallenAngel

Sad news from the Scottish Championship today:

Club Statement (Greenock Morton)

Morton v Q.O.S. match

It was with deep regret that our match today against Queen of the South F.C. was abandoned due to the tragic death of one of our loyal supporters during the game.

All at Greenock Morton Football Club would like to take this opportunity to extend our heartfelt sympathy to all family and friends of the gentleman concerned.

We would further like to register our appreciation for the efforts of the emergency services, St Andrews First Aiders and Stewards who carried out their duties in a professional and caring manner throughout.

And finally, our thanks must also go to supporters of both teams who showed patience and great respect as events unfolded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What a season fell apart a bit after the League cup win, but overall much better than was expected.

Gutted to be cheated out of 2nd due to shocking referring oh well onwards and upwards. Sad to see Vernon go, good luck Scotty!

Well done to Peter Pawlett baby and Reynolds for great seasons!:D

What a season fell apart a bit after the League cup win' date=' but overall much better than was expected.

[b']Gutted to be cheated out of 2nd due to shocking referring oh well onwards and upwards. Sad to see Vernon go, good luck Scotty![/b]

Well done to Peter Pawlett baby and Reynolds for great seasons!:D

Evens it up for the late goal at Fir Park that was handball.