Biggest Clubs In England?

Stevie Blade

Who do you reckon the top 10 biggest clubs in England are? Don't want to start an argument here but it will probably inevitably lead to one..

Imo

In terms of success:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Everton

6. Aston Villa

7. Tottenham

8. Man City

9. Nottingham Forest

10. (Struggling to find a 10th, West Ham maybe?)

In terms of fanbase:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Newcastle

6. Aston Villa

7. Chelsea

8. Man City

9. Leeds (There fan base is pretty poor considering)

10. Tottenham

Overall:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Chelsea

6. Aston Villa

7. Man City

8. Leeds

9. Newcastle (due to them being pretty much the only club in that part of the world)

10. Tottenham

Re: Biggest Clubs In England?

01. Manchester United

02. Chelsea

03. Liverpool

04. Arsenal

05. Aston Villa

06. Everton

07. Tottenham

08. Newcastle

09. Leeds

I have based mine on recent league positions so from 1-7 I have put teams that have been around the top places over the last few years but after that its really hard. I have put Leeds and Newcastle in based on appearances in the Champions League not too long ago. Really can't think of any team to go in 10th.

Who do you reckon the top 10 biggest clubs in England are? Don't want to start an argument here but it will probably inevitably lead to one..

Imo

In terms of success:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Everton

6. Aston Villa

7. Tottenham

8. Man City

9. Nottingham Forest

10. (Struggling to find a 10th' date=' West Ham maybe?)

In terms of fanbase:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Newcastle

6. Aston Villa

7. Chelsea

8. Man City

10. Tottenham

Overall:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Chelsea

6. Aston Villa

7. Man City

8. Leeds

9. Newcastle (due to them being pretty much the only club in that part of the world)

10. Tottenham[/quote']

Work on your history. Notts Forest should be in the overall pile, two champions leagues is enough to get you in there, considering Newcastle and Tottenham have never won it.

Liverpool have won the most Champions League and Carling Cup's.

Man United have won the most Premier League's and FA cup.

They both have roughly 50 trophies each.

Work on your history. Notts Forest should be in the overall pile' date=' two champions leagues is enough to get you in there, considering Newcastle and Tottenham have never won it.

They both have roughly 50 trophies each.[/quote']

If I didn't put Newcastle in I think I may now be receiving counselling with a rape investigation taking place..

Work on your history. Notts Forest should be in the overall pile' date=' two champions leagues is enough to get you in there, considering Newcastle and Tottenham have never won it.

They both have roughly 50 trophies each.[/quote']

liverpool and man united have won the league the same number of times (football wasnt invented in 1992 y'know)

and i'd say stevie's original list is about right, maybe swap everton and chelsea but quite a bit of this really depends on how the team is doing (e.g. 8 years ago leeds and newcastle would be top 10 certainties, maybe top 5). just about all of the evidence (fan surveys, anecdotal evidence of fanbase etc) would suggest the top 3 are man u, liverpool and arsenal in that order, and after that its a bit of a much of a muchness with the likes of chelsea, everton, villa, newcastle, leeds etc (e.g. in terms of fanbase newcastle got far more fans than everton last year who only sold out for the derby i believe but everton have consistently been top6 the last few years and newcastle dropped like a stone so right now everton are bigger than newcastle)

Fanbase is immaterial, it is all about success & trophies at the end of the day.

I have nothing personal against Man City but how on earth do they make the top 10 in terms of success?? The last major honour they contested was in losing the 1981 FA Cup final !!

So by success Liverpool still lead the way (not a fan so I hate to say it)

Found this, it makes interesting reading (if a season or two out of date).

http://www.aboutaball.co.uk/html2/rankings/ranking.php

Obviously there are many different ways in which you can calculate these sort of things but good to see my team, Wrexham, get some points (even if it was less than Royal Engineers!!)

Imo

In terms of success:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Everton

6. Aston Villa

7. Tottenham

8. Man City

9. Nottingham Forest

10. (Struggling to find a 10th' date=' West Ham maybe?)[/quote']

In terms of success, I don't see how Leeds aren't even in the top 10, and behind Chelsea, Everton, and especially Man City.

Explain.

As for Overall, if you're basing it on success, fanbase and current position, we'd be nowhere near the top 10. You can't be one of the biggest clubs in the country and be in the third tier.

In terms of success' date=' I don't see how Leeds aren't even in the top 10, and behind Chelsea, Everton, and especially Man City.

Explain.

As for Overall, if you're basing it on success, fanbase and current position, we'd be nowhere near the top 10. You can't be one of the biggest clubs in the country and be in the third tier.[/quote']

Sorry, I was just explaining how massive I thought you were.. I am very sorry and I apologise with all of my heart, I beg for your forgiveness.. (Its always nice when you wind up a L**ds fan a bit ;))

As for pretty poor considering, you are a one club city, Leeds is a city with a population of 770,800! With loads more fans living elsewhere. Yet you are averaging just over 20,000 k home attendances. Whereas (Sorry I can't help myself). Sheffield with a population of just over 500,000, has two clubs, which are both averaging more than you!

This should be good! ;) ;)

A quick Google lead me to conclude:

1. Liverpool

2. Manchester United

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Aston Villa

6. Sunderland

7. Newcastle

8. Sheffield Wednesday (? :P)

9. Blackburn Rovers

10. Chelsea

Leeds are 12th, one ahead of Huddersfield Town may I add!

Photobucket.jpg

A quick Google lead me to conclude:

1. Liverpool

2. Manchester United

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Aston Villa

6. Sunderland

7. Newcastle

8. Sheffield Wednesday (? :P)

9. Blackburn Rovers

10. Chelsea

Leeds are 12th' date=' one ahead of Huddersfield Town may I add!

[img']http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/SpamDuff/Photobucket.jpg[/img]

Yeah, Sheffield Wednesday ram down our throats all of the Titles, FA Cups etc they won over 60 years ago! Even though none of them were alive to see them.. :D

Although they did win a League Cup in 1991 I think..

And yes, its all a matter of opinion, unfortunately some people take things to heart.. Saw it coming really, especially from Leeds, we all know how bitter they can be!

Yeah' date=' Sheffield Wednesday ram down our throats all of the Titles, FA Cups etc they won over 60 years ago! Even though none of them were alive to see them.. :D

Although they did win a League Cup in 1991 I think..

And yes, its all a matter of opinion, unfortunately some people take things to heart.. Saw it coming really, especially from Leeds, we all know how bitter they can be![/quote']

You really need to learn the difference between airing an honest opinion and taking things to heart son. B)

Spam, that's a table of trophies only, and includes some pointless ones such as the Community Shield. Doesn't come close to revealing who the "biggest" teams are and would barely qualify to reveal who the "most successful" teams are. Some teams were very successful in the space of a couple of years nearly a century ago, others had their success spread out of many decades. That table also doesn't reveal the amount of finals teams got to, which would make it interesting. Would certainly help our cause. ;)

It's very difficult to judge, especially considerign that genuinely 'big' clubs such as Leeds and Huddersfield are languishing outside the Prem at the moment.

If you asked a ten year old who are the best teams in English football history you'd get Chelsea in the top 10 a thousand times over before the likes of Leeds or Wednesday or Wolves.

It's very difficult to judge' date=' especially considerign that genuinely 'big' clubs such as Leeds and Huddersfield are languishing outside the Prem at the moment.

If you asked a ten year old who are the best teams in English football history you'd get Chelsea in the top 10 a thousand times over before the likes of Leeds or Wednesday or Wolves.[/quote']

At the end of the day, it all comes down to opinion. You can try and measure success, but then do you look at just trophies, trophies and finals, particular trophies, trophies in the last so many decades, etc.

Sorry' date=' I was just explaining how massive I thought you were.. I am very sorry and I apologise with all of my heart, I beg for your forgiveness.. (Its always nice when you wind up a L**ds fan a bit ;))

As for pretty poor considering, you are a one club city, Leeds is a city with a population of 770,800! With loads more fans living elsewhere. Yet you are averaging just over 20,000 k home attendances. Whereas (Sorry I can't help myself). Sheffield with a population of just over 500,000, has two clubs, [b']which are both averaging more than you! [/b]

This should be good! ;) ;)

While they're in a higher league which plays more attractive football against better oponents. Also, Leeds is a Rugby town aswell. Both Union and League but mainly League.

While they're in a higher league which plays more attractive football against better oponents. Also' date=' Leeds is a Rugby town aswell. Both Union and League but mainly League.[/quote']

Fair enough the rest, but attractive football?! Us and Wednesday?! Don't make me laugh! Its more like watching rugby to be honest..

Shouldn't be an excuse, they are a massive city, with a huge fan base.. Or perhaps its just a myth?

Fair enough the rest' date=' but attractive football?! Us and Wednesday?! Don't make me laugh! Its more like watching rugby to be honest..

Shouldn't be an excuse, they are a massive city, with a huge fan base.. Or perhaps its just a myth?[/quote']

I said the league has more attractive football. Not Barca style but it looks better than parking the bus which happens too often in League 1. Teams like Newcastle, Cardiff, West Brom and QPR are good to watch. And yes it makes a difference when 1 city has 4 major sports to have fans for. Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League and Cricket. While Sheffield has 2 i'm guessing. Please correct if i'm wrong. Football and Ice Hockey.

I said the league has more attractive football. Not Barca style but it looks better than parking the bus which happens too often in League 1. Teams like Newcastle' date=' Cardiff, West Brom and QPR are good to watch. And yes it makes a difference when 1 city has 4 major sports to have fans for. Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League and Cricket. While Sheffield has 2 i'm guessing. Please correct if i'm wrong. Football and Ice Hockey.[/quote']

Pretty much.. We have a poor rugby team (Sheffield Eagles), although they will be playing at Bramall Lane next season which will raise their profile, increase income and make our pitch look terrible (Y)