In Memory of Robert Enke

Spam

Re: BREAKING NEWS - Robert Enke Passes Away

Well, that was an interesting read. I think Phil summed up the three different kinds of suicide quite well and it is those points which we should really think about. Having said that, for all the backlash that Adam received, I can fully understand where he was coming from. I think a few took his comments a bit too far out of context and not for the face value that they were intended.

It's funny, because I see all of these people saying how they feel or how they reacted to this news, but I don't really know how it affects me. Did it suprise me? Yes. Is this awful news for the footballing world, in partiuclar Hannover and Germany? Yes. Do I feel sorry for his family who he has, tragically, left behind? Of course. Will this news live long in my memory? Probably not. Call me selfish or cynical, but I find it odd to feel such compassion and sorrow for someone I never knew and very, very rarely saw play football. Harsh? Perhaps, but that's just how I feel.

R.I.P. I guess.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

:mad:

Think it was aimed at dave rather than you adam.....

I couldn't give a monkey's toss if it was aimed at me, the only thing that got me was that Adam got there first, before I did.

I said it then and I say it again, I have no time for people who commit suicide. I have heard all the anecdotes you can muster and it still don't mean a hill of beans to me. Committing suicide is a selfish cowardly act with no concern for anyone else who matters to them.

I have worked with people with massive disabilities in my spare time and you won't hear them bleat..."why me?" They just get on with it. Yea, I know depression, like Adam, I have been touched by it, I have lost people very close to me like so many of you guys out there so don't give me your sanctimonious rubbish about being too hard on someone who took the easy way out. :mad:

There are 30,000 men, women and children dying evry frigging day from starvation and lack of basic medicines, and you want me to give my pity to a guy who didn't have the ability to see just how much he had in life instead of feeling sorry for himself. He lost a kid, that's very sad, he is one among millions, I have lost a kid, I'm still here because I refuse to lie down and feel sorry for myself. So to the guy who said something about not knowing the facts, I have walked in his frigging shoes, like many others. :mad:

I couldn't give a monkey's toss if it was aimed at me' date=' the only thing that got me was that Adam got there first, before I did.

I said it then and I say it again, I have no time for people who commit suicide. I have heard all the anecdotes you can muster and it still don't mean a hill of beans to me. Committing suicide is a selfish cowardly act with no concern for anyone else who matters to them.

I have worked with people with massive disabilities in my spare time and you won't hear them bleat..."why me?" They just get on with it. Yea, I know depression, like Adam, I have been touched by it, I have lost people very close to me like so many of you guys out there so don't give me your sanctimonious rubbish about being too hard on someone who took the easy way out. :mad:

There are 30,000 men, women and children dying evry frigging day from starvation and lack of basic medicines, and you want me to give my pity to a guy who didn't have the ability to see just how much he had in life instead of feeling sorry for himself. He lost a kid, that's very sad, he is one among millions, I have lost a kid, I'm still here because I refuse to lie down and feel sorry for myself. So to the guy who said something about not knowing the facts, I have walked in his frigging shoes, like many others. :mad:[/quote']

Great post Dave. I don't thing many will argue with you here and I agree with you 100%.

Just a thought on the SM aspect of things (I didn't really want to create a new thread when there are already three regarding Enke's death). Others before him, like Jarque and Puerta have simply been removed from the game, unless I am mistaken. However, we have the added problem here that Enke is a GK and SM has the rule where you must have at least two goalkeepers. What are SM going to do here? Will they just remove him and give you until the end of the season to buy a replacement, at which point, if a replacement has not been found, the chairman will install a replacement for you? That would seem logical to me. Also, do you receive a financial incentive for losing a player of some value, or do you simply lose him and his associated value?

Aplogies if this is too soon to be addressed, but I do find it curious.

The ignorance of some people in this thread, quite frankly, is disgusting. If the subject of discussion wasn't a person's death, I might even call it laughable.

Clinical depression is a disease just like any other. It's a chemical imbalance that severely and uncontrollably affects your emotions and actions - and sometimes tiny (but significant) changes in brain structure. It's not like you just wake up one day feeling a bit down and decide to top yourself.

Now ask yourselves this... had Enke died of a heart attack or cancer, would you still be calling him cowardly for letting his illness get the better of him? No, of course you wouldn't. Assuming his death was suicide, it's no different to that. Whether it was planned in advance, or just a spur of the moment thing, if he was medically well beforehand, it's pretty safe to say he'd still be alive.

Now, you may not have known him personally, you may not have watched him play that much, you may not even care that he's no longer among the living... but at least treat this with the slightest hint of respect.

Maybe refrain from commenting altogether, eh?

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

The ignorance of some people in this thread' date=' quite frankly, is disgusting. If the subject of discussion wasn't a person's death, I might even call it laughable.

Clinical depression is a disease just like any other. It's a chemical imbalance that severely and uncontrollably affects your emotions and actions - and sometimes tiny (but significant) changes in brain structure. It's not like you just wake up one day feeling a bit down and decide to top yourself.

Now ask yourselves this... had Enke died of a heart attack or cancer, would you still be calling him cowardly for letting his illness get the better of him? No, of course you wouldn't. Assuming his death [i']was[/i] suicide, it's no different to that. Whether it was planned in advance, or just a spur of the moment thing, if he was medically well beforehand, it's pretty safe to say he'd still be alive.

Now, you may not have known him personally, you may not have watched him play that much, you may not even care that he's no longer among the living... but at least treat this with the slightest hint of respect.

Maybe refrain from commenting altogether, eh?

Let me tell you this, someone with clinical depression would not be holding down a job as the second best goalkeeper in Germany. If he was clinically depressed, he would not be in this position. Another form of depression, situational depression, coming from losing a loved one, well, it's very rare for a man to succumb to this after a three month old child has died, especially after three years. It is more likely to be the mother who succumbs through the bonding process, that's not to say that this is 100%, but very rare. We do not know the extent of where his brain was at, but I would hazard a guess that this act was not influenced by the death of his child three years ago, he may well have had other problems and this was accumulative, but who knows?

Respect? It is always sad when a fellow human being dies no matter what the reason, but I decline on respecting someone who has taken his own life and left others to pick up the pieces.

This has nothing to do with assisted suicide through medical reasons. I have recently watched my wife's father die from alzheimers/ dementia and it was not a pretty sight, death was a release for this poor wretch. So I won't shed a tear or a thought for this guy, I will for his poor family who have to keep going, LIKE WE ALL HAVE TO!

It's sad that he's taken his life like this, when he had a lot to achieve, especially next summer and had a family and all, but I'm sure he's at peace now.

I'm with David in the sense that I think suicide is wrong, especially with Enke having a relatively young family. He may have been suffering from clinical depression as Schuldiner said, but didn't Sebastian Deisler have a not dissimilar condition? His was terrible, and he's still alive.

A loss, nonetheless, to football.

Its sad to here this news. I dont like people doing suicide either but some of the comments were way too harsh. If he had depression its something you cant get out of easily. Its the same with drugs, drinking and smoking. Most people dont get out it and i dout any of them think about their family while they using it. Most people wont talk about their problems expecailly men.

I couldn't give a monkey's toss if it was aimed at me' date=' the only thing that got me was that Adam got there first, before I did.

There are 30,000 men, women and children dying evry frigging day from starvation and lack of basic medicines, and you want me to give my pity to a guy who didn't have the ability to see just how much he had in life instead of feeling sorry for himself. He lost a kid, that's very sad, he is one among millions, I have lost a kid, I'm still here because I refuse to lie down and feel sorry for myself. So to the guy who said something about not knowing the facts, I have walked in his frigging shoes, like many others. :mad:[/quote']

i meant izod not you mate:o

His Daughter Died Didn't She? That Why He Took His Life? B):(

RIP

His daughter died two years ago. I have to agree with Adamski though, I don't know why he'd want to cmmit suicide because of that (if it is suicide that is). He has another child and a wife so its quite selfish to kill oneself because you miss your daughter.

Personally speaking, I'm not sure if this thread's title can be changed and the thread somehow split into a discussion about suicide and a separate thread to pay tribute to Robert Enke or just general consolation to his family (or perhaps a new thread created). It's clear it has evoked emotion and I feel the two issues have become entangled somewhat. Emotion and debate is good on a forum, but personally I have to say I don't feel it is appropriate to condemn on a thread titled this way and so soon after the event (less than a day).

Robert Enke was in many ways a gentle giant as Phil has suggested earlier in the thread. He was an understudy for large parts of his career, but never seemed to moan or complain. Always gentlemanly in his conduct, a quality which is rare from a professinal footballer. He possibly was approaching the best years of his career football wise but that has now been cut short. May he Rest In Peace and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

To people who criticise him for taking his own life stop it . You are not in his shoes how do you knw what he feels ? Losing a loved one is not easy to take everyone deals it in a different manner and some cannot control it . I do not think anyone has the right to criticise him in such a manner afterall none of you are Robert Enke .

I haven't thread through the entire thread, but Sky Sports this morning are reporting an "apparent" suicide. I really feel for his family, in any case it's not easy to lose someone you love.

Like I said I do agree with Adam's and some of the other points people have made about suicide etc, but he obviously couldn't cope, so I don't think we can say things like this as we don't know the true extent to what he was suffering from so..

My thoughts are with his wife, child and the rest of his family.

R.I.P

If somebody feels the desperate need to comit suicide then I think that is their own choice, however I have no sympathy for those who do so and put innocent lives at risk? Imagine being the train driver, totally innocent guy now scarred for life as he technically killed somebody.

I have compassion but only in the right circumstances.

RIP ?

I condemn any person who takes there life' date=' regardless if he was suffering from depression, its a cowards act and is unbelieveably selfish.

There people who can help, and ways out of depression, he had a wife and family, surely he knew of all people how painful grief can be upon a family, after loosing his daughter. Then he puts his family all through it again.

Disgusting.

Its a shame of course that it has come to this, but suicide is wrong, and his name shouldnt be put into the same context as other footballer who have had there lives taken away from them WITHOUT it being there choice. :mad::mad:[/quote']

Do some research on depression ..... a cowards act ? yes throwing yourself under a train is an easy thing to do ..... people with mental illness and depression don't think like normal rational people - people still think depression is someone having an hard time .... it isn't .... the human brain is a powerful thing and very complex, some peoples are just wired wrong which is why they do things others cannot comprehend