Raul Albiol(92) and Essien (95)

H3MMO

Re: Raul Albiol(92) and Essien (95)

yeah both of them will stay but I want to stress once again Albiol is not a good defender and never will be. His presence is why Real's defence is so bad. i strongly recommend you to sell him now coz there must be some managers who think that he starts for Real and must have a bright prospect and rise so u can get good players back or big money.

ps: if he is that good, Valencia woudn't sell him this summer but tried his best to keep Mata, Silva and Villa

yeah both of them will stay but I want to stress once again Albiol is not a good defender and never will be. His presence is why Real's defence is so bad. i strongly recommend you to sell him now coz there must be some managers who think that he starts for Real and must have a bright prospect and rise so u can get good players back or big money.

ps: if he is that good' date=' Valencia woudn't sell him this summer but tried his best to keep Mata, Silva and Villa[/quote']

Well , Valencia had to sell albiol because they're in financial problem now .

I agree with jangwook about Raul Alboil. I watched him play for Valencia last season on a regular basis and he was nothing more than above average. How he got 92 I will never know. He is mistake prone and like it's been mentioned already his presence is poor. Valencia were willing to let him got for €8 million, and most Valencia fans were shocked (and at the same time delighted) when the €15 mil bid came in from Madrid. Trust me, they were not sad to see him go. There replacement, 85 rated Dealbert is better defensively anyway!

Based on performance and ability, Alboil should be rated 89. Because he plays for Real Madrid he deserves to go down to 91, although something makes me think he'll stay at 92 :rolleyes:

Based on performance and ability' date=' Alboil should be rated 89. Because he plays for Real Madrid he deserves to go down to 91, although something makes me think he'll stay at 92 :rolleyes:[/quote']

if he is so bad why does he start at real AND spain NT ! ?

im not questioning you as you watch him play more than me so im not being sarcastic with that comment btw :P

but why does he get picked for those teams then because there isn't a huge shortage of options to choose from :S ?

Albiol will not go down in value this season, not in a million years.

His stats are not that bad

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=41970&cc=5739

He plays for a team that will probably win or go very close in the Champions League. League form, mainly without Ronnie so far this season, played 10, won 8, drawn 1, lost 1.

Albiol will not go down in value this season' date=' not in a million years.

His stats are not that bad

[url']http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=41970&cc=5739[/url]

He plays for a team that will probably win or go very close in the Champions League. League form, mainly without Ronnie so far this season, played 10, won 8, drawn 1, lost 1.

I was talking about performence, not stats. At this level games played means a lot less than performences. Otherwise Lucas would be rated above Gerrard.

But if you want to look at stats lets look in depth at the game Raul Alboil has played in.

Starting with the Champions League. Alboil has played in 4 games and his team have conceded 6 goals. That's 1.5 goals conceded per game. That's not good for a team aiming to win in. Moreover, the 2 "hard" games in the group against Milan Real Madrid have failed to win.

In the La Liga Real Madrid have had an easy run so far. The only really challenging games were Sevilla, Deportivo and a struggling Villarreal. Starting with Deportivo on the first day of the season, Madrid scraped a 3-2 win although looked very shakey at the back. Not a great start for Alboil. Then he faced Sevilla and Madrid lost the game 2-0. Once again Alboil looked poor and didn't really show any signs of quality. Finally against Villarreal Real Madrid did manage to win 2-0 although once again although once again there were nervous moments.

Heading over to the Copa Del Rey now where Madrid managed to get a very easy draw against 3rd division side Alcorcon. This was supposedly going to be a walk in the park but Madrid ended up losing a massive 4-0. With Alboil being the only starting defender you'd of expected him to lead the defence. Well wrong. After a number of mistakes when 4-0 down, he ends up picking up a yellow card in the 60th minute. I think this game shows just how much he's relied on his center back partner Pepe this season.

To conclude, after looking at the smaller details (rather than just ESPN stats) I think it's fair to say Alboil hasn't been anything special this season, and has overly relied on Pepe. Without Pepe by his side the defense has looked very shakey as was showed against Deportivo and Alcorcon. Real Madrid also aren't this amazing force their team sheet may suggest they are. They have only taken 1 point from their 3 hardest games (against Milan twice and Sevilla) and have also struggled against the likes of Deportivo and Sporting Gijon. Yes they've beaten the likes of Deportivo Xerez and CD Teneriffa but this is expected. Lets wait for them to have a few more tough games and see how they get on.

if he is so bad why does he start at real AND spain NT ! ?

im not questioning you as you watch him play more than me so im not being sarcastic with that comment btw :P

but why does he get picked for those teams then because there isn't a huge shortage of options to choose from :S ?

Good point, however I think this is partially due to limited options from the two teams. Starting off with Real Madrid. Perez wanted to get young(ish) Spanish players and needed a defender. Now who's available? The only person I can really think of is Pique, but are Barcelona going to sell him to their title rivals? No they wouldn't. The know Alboil is available (Valencia transfer listed him) and ended up paying waaay over the odds. Now after Perez has payed £15 million for a player worth £7/8 million even if he plays poorly, dropping Alboil would make him look like he's spent that money needlessly. So he's playing him hoping he will develop as a player and improve. Also, their other options are Garay (who also looks a bit risky at the back) and Metzelder (who's been a flop from the day he joined).

As for him starting for Spain it was a similar situation. Who else did Spain have? They had Puyol and then a choice of Alboil and Marchena. Now I don't know how much you've seen of Marchena but over the last few years he's gone "down hill" a lot and is also starting to make some match changing mistakes. Because of this Spain decided to start the "talent" who had potential to improve. Now however, I am happy to say, Alboil is playing a lesser and lesser part and Pique is coming into the team in place of him. From the last 18 games, Alboil has only started 8 of these. I think this number will probably decrease over time as well.

Now however' date=' I am happy to say, Alboil is playing a lesser and lesser part and Pique is coming into the team in place of him. From the last 18 games, Alboil has only started 8 of these. I think this number will probably decrease over time as well.[/quote']

i was gonna say other options = ramos, puyol , pique , capdevilla as back for / pique instead of albiol

although pique only really deveolped last season s a really good defender :)

thanks ben for the reply :)

Guest Football8

Sorry, but I disagree with whoever says Raúl Albiol is bad. I have watched every single match of Real Madrid this season, every minute, even pre-season (if that means anything) and he has settled in really well and is still young. He's looked solid at the back and looked like he's done it for years. How anyone can say he's been shocking amazes me. He's covered for Marcelo down the flank plenty of times when the left back got caught out of position etc and looking really solid. If anything the defence has been solid this season in terms of the opposition taking possession in Real Madrid's own half regardless of counter-attacks which is most of the time 50-50. Imo he deserves a 93 and the defence has about the least amount of goals conceded of which the ones conceded are of stupid mistakes which people have pointed out. Most notably due to Marcelo; who now has Arbeloa breathing down his back at LB and also the possible arrival of Juan Vargas or Otamendi. Obviously he's new and he's just came from Valencia, faily young and all the pressure is on him as we all know it's on Real Madrid and every player us still probably nervous, especially the defenders and he's made a few mistakes this season, which is totally normal based on the circumstances. In terms of Essien, I feel he will remain at 95.

Sorry' date=' but I disagree with whoever says Raúl Albiol is bad. I have watched every single match of Real Madrid this season, every minute, even pre-season (if that means anything) and he has settled in really well and is still young. He's [b']looked solid at the back[/b] and looked like he's done it for years. How anyone can say he's been shocking amazes me. He's covered for Marcelo down the flank plenty of times when the left back got caught out of position etc and looking really solid. If anything the defence has been solid this season in terms of the opposition taking possession in Real Madrid's own half regardless of counter-attacks which is most of the time 50-50. Imo he deserves a 93 and the defence has about the least amount of goals conceded of which the ones conceded are of stupid mistakes which people have pointed out. Most notably due to Marcelo; who now has Arbeloa breathing down his back at LB and also the possible arrival of Juan Vargas or Otamendi. Obviously he's new and he's just came from Valencia, faily young and all the pressure is on him as we all know it's on Real Madrid and every player us still probably nervous, especially the defenders and he's made a few mistakes this season, which is totally normal based on the circumstances.

That's your view, I disagree with it :). Also the bit in bold contradicts itself. I can assure you he wasn't solid at Valencia. Especially the season before the current one. He was anything but solid. Feel free to read some old threads about Alboil when he was still playing for Valencia, written by Valencia fans!!! He's been overrated on SM for a long time and it's about time he gets a rating that reflects his ability. Real Madrid have had the easiest run of any of the big 5 teams, and have still managed to lose their few hard games. This isn't by chance.

Guest Football8

That's your view' date=' I disagree with it :). Also the bit in bold contradicts itself. I can assure you he wasn't solid at Valencia. Especially the season before the current one. He was anything but solid. Feel free to read some old threads about Alboil when he was still playing for Valencia, written by Valencia fans!!! He's been overrated on SM for a long time and it's about time he gets a rating that reflects his ability. Real Madrid have had the easiest run of any of the big 5 teams, and have still managed to lose their few hard games. This isn't by chance.

Real Madrid are still adapting and practising out tactics etc. I agree to a certain point that some of the mistakes were plain simple football ones, but once again this is a new life and I think it's going well considering all the spotlight, injuries and just basically a new era. If you watch defensively, the box is guarded well by the players whilst the other team is in the Real Madrid's half which has resulted in fewer goals thus a solid defence. It's just the counter-attacking which Real Madrid need to deal with and things like this can easily be cured as time passes.

I dont know whether to sell him tho. I could easily get 30 mil for him but I dont know who to replace him with? Andreas beck? who else?

pique

vermaleen

johnson

although not good in real life sm ratings wise albiol will be very good for some time so dont feel like u have to sell him ! starter for RM and spain = an excellent player in terms of sm ratings !

I dont really watch spanish football . But i watched pique play the champions league final against manu . wow he is truly a great defender , deflects every shots .

Vermaelen is sure to go up and evetually hit 90 . He is Arsenal's best buy .

Glen Johnson would definitely get 90 or 91 . Who wouldnt agree ? Im sure about vermaelen and johnson's rating because i always watch arsenal's and liverpool's game .

I dont really watch spanish football . But i watched pique play the champions league final against manu . wow he is truly a great defender ' date=' deflects every shots .

[b']Vermaelen is sure to go up and evetually hit 90[/b] . He is Arsenal's best buy .

Glen Johnson would definitely get 90 or 91 . Who wouldnt agree ? Im sure about vermaelen and johnson's rating because i always watch arsenal's and liverpool's game .

some have even predicted vermaelen to hit 91.

I think the reason most people hold onto Albiol, including me, is that he is young for a defender, has a lot of experience and can play in either CB/RB. Last season was bad for the whole Valencia team, bar Villa, and I think that was down to the internal problems with the club with the new stadium plans going to sh**e... the same could be said for Liverpool's current dip in form. I think that the thing to remember about Albiol is that he can operate in an attacking formation/team and did so successfully before last season. He has the balance to be enough of a defender and enough of an attacking threat. He is no Pepe/Cannavaro at the moment but is certainly no Woodgate/ Metzelder. He is as middle of the road as Sergio Ramos...effective for an attacking team but, even at Barcelona, defenders do not shine in super-attacking formations. Some might argue that RM don't play an attacking formation, which i kind of agree with. I think that the state of the team is the reason why certain players are under-performing, even Kaka, Benzema and Manuel Pellegrini are.