Joaquin Boghossian

andyowls

Disclaimer: credit to microsplacut, who first mentioned Boghossian

here.

Right, it's about time I enlightened you all. Some will have heard me rave about this guy in various posts on the forum. Now I shall tell you all why I like this guy above any other who has broken through this Apertura in Argentina.

Joaquin Boghossian

e6a84cb1796009dd5f36190bb5dc0699.jpg

Personal Statistics

Surname: Boghossian

Forenames: Joaquin Antonio

Nationality: Uruguayan flags_of_Uruguay.gif

Club: Newell's Old Boys

Position: Fwd

D.O.B.: 19/06/87

SM Rating: 85

Playing Style

Standing at a massive 1.97m tall, it doesn't take a genius to spot what Boghossian's main advantage is. The heady Uruguayan is very strong in the air, and causes problems for any defender that he comes up against. Boghossian is comparable with fellow lanky striker Peter Crouch, in that he is indeed very comfortable with the ball at his feet for such a big guy. While he may not be amazing at taking on players with the ball on the deck or particularly technically gifted in the skills department, Boghossian is more than capable at receiving possession, protecting the ball and laying it off to oncoming support, just like Crouch. Where Boghossian differs from Crouch is in his upper-body strength. Crouch, being quite a slight figure, isn't quite as successful as Boghossian is at bossing defenders. Boghossian can bully defenders off the ball and use his imposing figure to his advantage.

However, where Boghossian really comes into effect is in the penalty area. This boy is lethal inside the 18-yard box. Again, his height proves such a danger from set-pieces. Every time Newell's win a corner or a free-kick around the area, the Argentine television cameras immediately point towards Boghossian. Why's that? Becuase he is
the
target. On countless occasions this season has Boghossian proven dangerous from set-pieces. He's scored several, come close on other occasions, forced goalkeepers to make good saves and been a general nusiance on almost every cross. Not only that, when in open play, Boghossian has a very canny knack of finding space in the area and executing to perfection once possession has been sent his way. In many ways, Boghossian is very much the fox-in-the-box type player as his predatorial instincts in the box are just top-notch.

Naturally, Boghossian isn't a complete player. At 22 years of age, it has taken him a while to really break through and catch people's attentions. And there are reasons for this, as everybody has their weaknesses and/or areas in their game that they can work on. For Boghossian, while he can be good at holding up play, his link-up play can be worked upon. His passing isn't necessarily brilliant whilst his long-range shooting isn't great (not that it needs to be, perhaps). However, these are all things that can be worked on and don't go anywhere close to diminishing Boghossian's affect on a football match.

joaquin-bogossian-newells.jpg

In acrobatic form for former club, Cerro.

Background

Joaquin Boghossian is a Uruguyan striker of Armenian descent. Born in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, Boghossian was snapped up by his local club, Club Atletico Cerro, at an early age. It took time for Boghossian to break through at Cerro and he in fact spent a period out on loan at second tier side, Club Atletico Progreso (unfortunately, data is limited and unknown as to how he fared here). However, upon his return and upon the commencement of the 2008/09 season, Boghossian began to break through. Cerro began to take advantage of his ability and utilise him on a regular basis. Boghossian repaid his side with 9 nine goals over the course of the campaign as Cerro finished third behind regular Uruguayan powerhouses, Nacional and Defensor Sporting. Unfortunately for Cerro was the fact that Boghossian's contract was coming to an end, and as the season reached it's climax, so did Boghossian's spell at the club. Over the summer, Boghossian signed for Argentine club Newell's Old Boys on a loan-to-buy agreement, with Newell's set to fork out $4m on the Uruguayan in the summer.

1060493.jpg

Winning the aerial battle against Lanus.

This Season

Since moving to Newell's Boghossian has been in absolutely lethal form. Thus far, 16 games into the Apertura campaign, Boghossian has helped fire Newell's to 1st place in the table. With just three games remaining, and with Banfield still well in the hunt, it's anyone's guess who will win the race for the Apertura title. But, a win or two before the season reaches it's climax and Newell's will be guarenteed their highest position since winning the 2004 Apertura title, not to mention that they've got a very good chance of winning the whole thing itself. And Joaquin Boghossian is a big part of this success. After starting the season on the bench, Boghossian was given his chance against Lanus; a chance he duly took. Boghossian sealed his full debut with the second and final goal to seal victory for his side. Since then, Boghossian has become an undisputed starter and ended the Apertura with a hot streak where
he scored 10 goals in the last 11 games
, including braces over Argentine powerhouses River Plate and reigning Clausura champions, Velez Sarsfield, and a key goal to defeat title rivals, Colon. Here are his stats for this season:

2009 Apertura

Starts: 15

Sub Apps: 3

Total Mins: 1396

Goals: 11

Assists: 0

Shots (On Target): 40 (25)

Discipline: 4Y, 0R

2010 Clausura

Starts: 7

Sub Apps: 0

Total Mins: 614

Goals: 1

Assists: 0

Shots (On Target): 5 (3)

Discipline: 0Y, 0R

imagex387x350.pjpg

Performing his trademark "shotgun" goal celebration.

The Future

The future looks very bright for Joaquin Boghossian. Right now, he looks set to tear up the Primera A Division for the short-term at least. There are rumours circulating a move to Europe, with Sampdoria being the main name to put themselves in the ring. However, rumours are rumours and you can never be quite sure how realistic they actually are. That being said, Italian press seems to suggest that negotiations are under way. In many ways, the Italian game could suit Boghossian very well. His tall, bulky frame will pose many a question to the physical defenders of Serie A. I think that Boghossian could have a Luca Toni-esque effect on the league, when Toni was in his goalscoring pomp.

On an international front, it seems to be only a matter of time before Boghossian gets the nod at a senior level with Uruguay. Of course, he has talent to contend with, with the likes of Diego Forlan, Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani way out ahead of him. But don't be surprised if you hear Joaquin Boghossian's name spring up in an international friendly as Uruguay build up towards the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

In terms of SoccerManager, it's safe to say that he won't be rated 80 for much longer. Indeed, when we get around to the next batch of Argentine rating changes, I predict a nice little increase for the powerful striker. After that, it obviously depends on where he ends up. If he remains at Newell's, he will be sure to go above the mid 80's before too long. If he makes that move to Europe, then the sky is the limit. High 80's minimum.

Next rating change:

80 --> 85

While at Newell's:

85 --> 87/88

Move to Europe:

87/88 --> 89/90

After that:

who knows?

obpIgk6s8GI

Goals scored for former club, Cerro.

nhXBXKNyXB4

Using his aerial advantage to help see off Tigre.

0SWbXb7OGtE

Scoring both goals to see off River Plate.

26oT3I6Ql_Q

Scoring both goals to see of Velez Sarsfield.

v7b4yZ5V0pY

Scoring the equaliser in Newell's' big derby against Rosario Central.

Snap him up people. It'll be the best £2m you spend all year.

Guest Abdel Zizi

Re: Joaquin Boghossian

Good find, I picked him up a few months ago when he emerged as a good player.

He was very good against River Plate, really enjoyed that game.

Not really the biggest of talents, but a great money spinner and who knows he might turn out more.

Good work Andy.

Picked up on him when he was playing in Uruguay for Cerro. Thought he was rather short-changed when he only rose to 80 the last time round (before his move to Argentina).

me too bought him a month ago and if he could rise to 85 as you've stated i'll be a really happy manager.

cheers :)

Cheers guys. xpratx, he'll hit 84 with consummate ease, but he deserves 85. I hope SM give him it.

The best report i've seen in some time Andy :D

Looks a great player and an interesting read willl buy him.

Edit:

I tried to buy him it says i you cannot do more than 3 deals with any other club the thing is i have done 2 with Newels Old Boys but the 3rd was selling a player to them :o why should that count i havent gone out to sell him to them :( so i have to wait till next season .

The best report i've seen in some time Andy :D

Looks a great player and an interesting read willl buy him.

Edit:

I tried to buy him it says i you cannot do more than 3 deals with any other club the thing is i have done 2 with Newels Old Boys but the 3rd was selling a player to them :o why should that count i havent gone out to sell him to them :( so i have to wait till next season .

Thanks mate. :) Bit of a bummer that. It's happened to me a couple of times before but that the way it is - you can't do more than 3 deals between two clubs per season, no matter which direction they're going in. Hopefully it's not too long til your next season and you can snap him up before he rises (which probably will be after Christmas).

err when will the Argentine changes take place? I snapped this guy up for 2 million with my Notts County in GC57:D Lets hope he gets a 85

Actually, by simply looking at the scedule I'm not sure. Obviously, once the English changes are done, then sections 7 and 8 will be done and you would hope that SM would squeeze them in before Christmas. After that, I'm not sure where SM will head. The schedule suggests that they will head to Ukraine and Russia (i.e. the summer changes), but I have a feeling that Argentina might get reviewed beforehand. Russia has been reviewed once already since the last Argentine review. You're looking at January/February at the earliest in my opinion.

If he ended up at Porto' date=' I'd be very happy. Hell, I might even start watching them play![/quote']

It could happen. Porto are looking for a good striker in the transfer market, and Boghossian has been noticed by the Portuguese newspaper as a transfer target. Plus, Argentinian league is our scout's speciality. Boghossian is exactly what we need. He is much different from Falcao, Farias and Hulk. More like Orlando Sa and Yero. But none of them have the experience of Bogho. A pair of strikers consisting of Yero (1,98m, 89kg) and Boghossian (1,95m, 80kg)... Sweet! :D

It could happen. Porto are looking for a good striker in the transfer market' date=' and Boghossian has been noticed by the Portuguese newspaper as a transfer target. Plus, Argentinian league is our scout's speciality. Boghossian is exactly what we need. He is much different from Falcao, Farias and Hulk. More like Orlando Sa and Yero. But none of them have the experience of Bogho. A pair of strikers consisting of Yero (1,98m, 89kg) and Boghossian (1,95m, 80kg)... Sweet! :D[/quote']

Oooh, that's interesting, I didn't know that. As much as I'd like him to go there, I worry that he may benefit more by joining a smaller club so that his progression can continue at a steady rate. Going from Newell's to Porto is a fair jump, especially if he's not going to start regularly, which could be the case. I think he would do better by going to a smaller club like Almeria (for example, off the top of my head) and learning his trade in Europe at a club where he's more likely to figure often. Cerro -> Newell's -> Almeria -> Porto; that would be a nice steady progression in quality of clubs.

Oooh' date=' that's interesting, I didn't know that. As much as I'd like him to go there, I worry that he may benefit more by joining a smaller club so that his progression can continue at a steady rate. Going from Newell's to Porto is a fair jump, especially if he's not going to start regularly, which could be the case. I think he would do better by going to a smaller club like Almeria (for example, off the top of my head) and learning his trade in Europe at a club where he's more likely to figure often. Cerro -> Newell's -> Almeria -> Porto; that would be a nice steady progression in quality of clubs.[/quote']

Well... It would be a nice progression of clubs. But let's say he scored his share of goals in Spain. Negredo, off the top of my head, did the same, and for Almeria too. He was called for the Spanish NT, his value sky-rocketed and then he joined Sevilla. My point is, by the time you say Boghossian would join Porto, we already have Boghossian II, who at that time played in another club in Argentina :). We simply don't have the financial consistency to purchase in the Spanish market, even if it is the top players from just the lower teams. He either comes now, or hardly ever. But strikers also being pointed out to Porto are Walter (Internacional) or Kleber (Cruzeiro). One of these three will come, I'm sure.

Well... It would be a nice progression of clubs. But let's say he scored his share of goals in Spain. Negredo' date=' off the top of my head, did the same, and for Almeria too. He was called for the Spanish NT, his value sky-rocketed and then he joined Sevilla. My point is, by the time you say Boghossian would join Porto, we already have Boghossian II, who at that time played in another club in Argentina :). We simply don't have the financial consistency to purchase in the Spanish market, even if it is the top players from just the lower teams. He either comes now, or hardly ever. But strikers also being pointed out to Porto are Walter (Internacional) or Kleber (Cruzeiro). One of these three will come, I'm sure.[/quote']

Very valid point, although I'd put Porto's name up for grabs to someone with a similar stature. Obviously, you're not willing to do such a thing! :P Either way, I shalll await with interest.

Aside: For anyone who's interested and, indeed, awake, Banfield will probably all but clinch the Apertura title over the next two nights. Banfield should comfortably despatch with Racing tonight at 00:15 GMT before there's a big clash between 2nd and 3rd tomorrow night. Colon host Newell's which should ruin anyone's chances of catching Banfield. Newell's are the only team with a realistic chance of gunning down the leaders but will do well to defeat a tough Colon outfit. I'm sure our man Joaquin might have something to say about the matter, however. ;) That kicks off at approximately 22:10 GMT, tomorrow evening.

Hot off the press, Boghossian's done it again.

Colon de Santa Fe 0-1 Newell's Old Boys

After seeing Racing shock the whole of Argentina last night by walking out of their game with Banfield with three points and enforcing the leaders their first defeat of the Apertura, the onus was on their nearest rivals, Newell's Old Boys and Colon de Santa Fe to battle it out in the aim of gunning the league leaders. And boy, it was a cracker. In a feisty encounter, Newell's came out of Santa Fe with the three points to take them above Banfield at the summit after a narrow 1-0 victory. Yes, it was him again, Joaquin Boghossian was the one who won them the game with a delightful goal shortly after the hour mark. Mauro Formica played the ball into the leggy frontman and, although his first touch was poor, he weaved his way through 3 Colon defenders and slotted the ball past Diego Pozo with aplomb. The close control, skill and power that was required to work the opening was superb and gave Newell's a deserved lead.

They were the ones who looked more likely to score for the entire match and, indeed, it was Boghossian who had their best chances. In the first half, he stretched well to connect to an overhit through-ball and saw his shot clip the outside of the post. Shortly after half-time, Boghossian wasted a glorious opportunity when skewwed a free header wide of the target when he should have done better. Moments later, a good Newell's move led to Boghossian receiving the ball off stride and he could only scuff his tame shot into the arms of Pozo. And he went even closer when he powered a great header down towards the near post from a Formica corner, only for Pozo to get down brilliantly and turn it around the post. However, he wasn't to be denied again as he delightfully gave Newell's the lead with one of his best goals of the season, in Newell's biggest game of the season.

After that, a red card to Hugo Barrientos kept the away side's backs against the walls but Newell's defended supremely and limited Colon to few half-chances. Boghossian remained an outlet up front and held the ball up well on many occasions, buying his side some time with a free-kick here and there. After a lengthy amount of stoppage time, the referee blew the whistle and confirmed Newell's status as Apertura leaders. With just three games to go, here's how the table looks:

1. Newell's - PL 16, 35

2. Banfield - PL 16, 34

3. Colon - PL 17, 31

4. Estu - PL 18, 30

5. Velez - PL 16, 30

Velez and Colon both have a slim chance of spoiling the party but, really, it's down to the top two now to battle it out. Banfield have arguably the easier fixtures (Huracan away, Tigre home, Boca away) compared to Newell's (Arsenal home, Gimnasia away, San Lorenzo home) but anything can happen between now and the end of the apertura.

Aside: the game ended in farcically comical circumstances when the referee sent of Colon defender German Rivarola after booting the ball into the referee's backside as the official was blowing for full-time. Cue the inevitable scrum of Colon players barraging the ref, who had a decent game, and the riot police to break it all up. Sadly, this isn't an uncommon scene in Argentina, especially when the stakes are this high.

Another aside: I'll post a video of the goal when it finds it's way into my arms.

Gutted for Banfield but hopefully they can still do it. Maybe a little James Rodriguez magic might still bring them that long-awaited first title!

(So much for my early prediction of Estudiantes all the way for the 2009 Apertura :o)

True, but I have a slight affection for Newell's so I'm easy who wins!

Estu have all the tools but have cropped up here and there this Apertura. Last week, for example, they somehow managed to lose 1-0 at home to Colon in a game they didn't deserve to lose. They've already qualified for the Copa Libertadores next year as virtue of reigning champions and I'm sure they'll have half an eye on the World Club Cup as well.

Naturally, after his stunning goal last week, which took him to 9 in 9, the press have been loving Boghossian. It appears I was wrong about the deal which saw him join Newell's this summer. The deal was actually a loan to buy agreement where Newell's will have to fork out $4m next year. The papers suggest that some European clubs (Sampdoria remain the main name mentioned) may try to hijack this deal perhaps even as early as January.

Meanwhile, Uruguay captain Diego Lugano has been hinting that Boghossian may even be part of the World Cup squad in South Africa. What he has to do with squad selection, I don't know, but it's a good rumour.

Aside: Tonight, Banfield travel to Huracan to put the pressure back on Newell's before their game at home to Arsenal on Sunday. Boghossian will have to be careful not to pick up a booking and be suspended for one of his side's crucial last two remaining games. Banfield should win tonight against a poor Huracan outfit, but after their defeat to Racing last week, one can never be sure.

Hello people,

I found this fantastic link about Joaquin.

Thanks to andy, fantastic presenttion of a real striker.

Anybody has more news about his origins?

As I know Boghossian is armenian origin.

And what about the national team?

Do you know more about him?

Is it possible that mister Tabarez call him?

Or he will play with Armenian National Team?

Any news is good to know.

Just send me a pm if don't answer here.

Thanks