Joaquin Boghossian

andyowls

Re: Joaquin Boghossian

Hello people' date='

I found this fantastic link about Joaquin.

Thanks to andy, fantastic presenttion of a real striker.

Anybody has more news about his origins?

As I know Boghossian is armenian origin.

And what about the national team?

Do you know more about him?

Is it possible that mister Tabarez call him?

Or he will play with Armenian National Team?

Any news is good to know.

Just send me a pm if don't answer here.

Thanks[/quote']

Hiya pal, glad you enjoyed my report. As for your questions, I know little about his background and descent, other than the fact that he has Armenian links. I don't know to what extent this is so but I am 95% sure that he has committed himself to Uruguay. I would be shocked if he decided to jump ship and play for Armenia, unless he still finds himself uncapped a few years down the line and is getting frustrated by the lack of International appearances. I have read rumours of a Boghossian call-up to the Uruguay squad but it may be a bit of an ask for him to make the World Cup squad. You never know though.

He's 6'5 1/2 :eek::)

He's a big lad alright! :D

In other news, Banfield predictably returned to the top of the table on Friday night with Santiago Silva scoring his 14th of the campaign to narrowly squeeze past lowly Huracan. Newell's face Arsenal at home tonight at 22:10 GMT and will need a win to return to the summit. A 10th Boghossian goal tonight will make him the second-highest Newell's scorer in an Apertura or Clausura campaign ever, second only to Oscar Cardozo who scored 11 in 2006.

Guest Abdel Zizi

Hiya pal' date=' glad you enjoyed my report. As for your questions, I know little about his background and descent, other than the fact that he has Armenian links. I don't know to what extent this is so but I am 95% sure that he has committed himself to Uruguay. I would be shocked if he decided to jump ship and play for Armenia, unless he still finds himself uncapped a few years down the line and is getting frustrated by the lack of International appearances. I have read rumours of a Boghossian call-up to the Uruguay squad but it may be a bit of an ask for him to make the World Cup squad. You never know though.[/quote']

Tabarez already stated Boghossian is an option, provided he continues to impress.

Uruguay have Forlan and Suarez off course, so it will be hard to take the top striking positions.

Mock my words, the most talented Uruguayan will play at the WC, NICOLAS LODEIRO.

Tabarez already stated Boghossian is an option' date=' provided he continues to impress.

Uruguay have Forlan and Suarez off course, so it will be hard to take the top striking positions.

Mock my words, the most talented Uruguayan will play at the WC, NICOLAS LODEIRO.[/quote']

Also Edison Cavani so him getting a glimpse of national team football will be quite hard :(

Tabarez already stated Boghossian is an option' date=' provided he continues to impress.

Mock my words, the most talented Uruguayan will play at the WC, NICOLAS LODEIRO.[/quote']

Also Edison Cavani so him getting a glimpse of national team football will be quite hard :(

Of course, he's not going to walk straight into the first XI, but he's a decent shout for 4th or 5th choice. Uruguay have a friendly against Chile in March so that's his best chance of getting called up in the near future.

Guest Abdel Zizi

Of course' date=' he's not going to walk straight into the first XI, but he's a decent shout for 4th or 5th choice. Uruguay have a friendly against Chile in March so that's his best chance of getting called up in the near future.[/quote']

Indeed.

He should get the last forward spot, and he has to hope someone get's injured.

Quick update: Joaquin Boghossian managed to get on the scoresheet once more yesterday evening (06/12) to make it 9 goals in the last 9 games and 10 for the season, but it was in vain as Arsenal de Serandi surprised Los Leprosos by winning 2-1, courtesy of goals by Franco Jara and Matias Perez. The result prevented Newell's from regaining top spot from Banfield and left El Taladro with a two-point advantage with two games to go in the Apertura campaign. I didn't see the game as, unfortunately, I was preoccupied, but after reading numerous Argentinian news outlets, it appears that Newell's played very poorly indeed and deserved to lose. In fact, while it appears that no one player stood out for Newell's, Boghossian was selected as the pick of a bad bunch. Here is his goal from last night, which showcases some excellent movement and a lovely, controlled finish over the onrushing goalkeeper (go to 2:21 for JB's goal):

Qt_i4oBfMRY

Boy, what is it with this guy? Another game, another goal for Joaquin Boghossian - that's 10 goals in the last 10 games. This evening, Newell's Old Boys travelled to La Plata and defeated Gimnasia 2-0 thanks to goals from Boghossian and Mauro Formica, who scored with a delightful direct free-kick. Boghossian's goal again saw some good movement and a lovely touch to completely wrong-foot the defender and create the space for the shot. Despite not hitting the shot particularly cleanly, the goalkeeper failed to deal with it and it gave Newell's an unassailable lead to take Los Leprosos back to the top of the table. Below, you can see a video of Boghossian's latest strike:

6heoUMOpCmk

Unfortunately for Boghossian and Newell's, their lead at the top of the Apertura table did not last long, as Banfield went and defeated Tigre in the day's late game. The hosts toiled for much of the game against the league's bottom club but broke through eventually through a late header by defender, Victor Lopez. The goal give's El Taladro a 2-point cushion once more going into this weekend's final round of fixtures. Banfield face Boca away, while Newell's host San Lorenzo. It shall be a very interesting weekend indeed.

EDIT: This win for Newell's seals their qualification for the Copa Libertadores next year.

Indeed.

He should get the last forward spot' date=' and he has to hope someone get's injured.[/quote']

No he shouldn't! Fernandez of Banfield is ahead of him, and he is a better all round player. If Uruguay were to search South America for another out and out goalscorer it will be Tanque Silva that gets called up, not Boghossian. None the less, Bog has had a great season.

Guest Abdel Zizi

No he shouldn't! Fernandez of Banfield is ahead of him' date=' and he is a better all round player. If Uruguay were to search South America for another out and out goalscorer it will be Tanque Silva that gets called up, not Boghossian. None the less, Bog has had a great season.[/quote']

So am I right to assume you don't rate Boghossian that highly?

So am I right to assume you don't rate Boghossian that highly?

I wasn't quoting you directly there, I was talking about the international discussion in general. I do not rate him enough to be anywhere near the World Cup squad, but this is just my opinion. He is not to the standard of Tanque Silva this season, in terms of finishing ability and all round ability. And he is not in the slightest as good as Sand was, and he never got the move to Europe. His goal scoring record cannot be argued with, but I do not rate him as a player, and feel it will dry up sooner rather than later. It is an easy league to score goals in, last year Dani Montenegro got 15 from midfield in a bottom half team, and the year before that Denis got 27. Remember last year Morel got 13 in the Apertura for Tigre? That was also from midfield, and now a year later he is playing regularly for the team bottom of the Primera A. Players like Sava have banged in goals consistently all their career, and all he ever got was half a season at Fulham and a years loan at a struggling Celta Vigo. Goals just don't hold the same weight in Argentina, although I am happy to be proved wrong!

Guest Abdel Zizi

I wasn't quoting you directly there' date=' I was talking about the international discussion in general. I do not rate him enough to be anywhere near the World Cup squad, but this is just my opinion. He is not to the standard of Tanque Silva this season, in terms of finishing ability and all round ability. And he is not in the slightest as good as Sand was, and he never got the move to Europe. His goal scoring record cannot be argued with, but I do not rate him as a player, and feel it will dry up sooner rather than later. It is an easy league to score goals in, last year Dani Montenegro got 15 from midfield in a bottom half team, and the year before that Denis got 27. Remember last year Morel got 13 in the Apertura for Tigre? That was also from midfield, and now a year later he is playing regularly for the team bottom of the Primera A. Players like Sava have banged in goals consistently all their career, and all he ever got was half a season at Fulham and a years loan at a struggling Celta Vigo. Goals just don't hold the same weight in Argentina, although I am happy to be proved wrong![/quote']

Okay mate, thx for clearing that up.

I was always planning on selling him after his raise, but that was for economical reasons, not because of the player himself.

Fact is, I noticed him when he scored his 4th goal this Apertura, and since then, he has scored many goals.

But it's like you say: when I see clips of his goals he ain't the natural finishers you'd think he is when viewing his stats.

Anyway, great money spinner and I hope for the guy he does make it.

Okay mate' date=' thx for clearing that up.

I was always planning on selling him after his raise, but that was for economical reasons, not because of the player himself.

Fact is, I noticed him when he scored his 4th goal this Apertura, and since then, he has scored many goals.

But it's like you say: when I see clips of his goals he ain't the natural finishers you'd think he is when viewing his stats.

Anyway, great money spinner and I hope for the guy he does make it.[/quote']

Yep, there is no denying that he is a great money spinner. He should only get 84, just as Cristaldo did, but he will get 85. At 22 he has age on his side, and there are a couple of rumours of Europe, but I just cannot see him cutting the mustard.

I wasn't quoting you directly there' date=' I was talking about the international discussion in general. I do not rate him enough to be anywhere near the World Cup squad, but this is just my opinion. He is not to the standard of Tanque Silva this season, in terms of finishing ability and all round ability. And he is not in the slightest as good as Sand was, and he never got the move to Europe. His goal scoring record cannot be argued with, but I do not rate him as a player, and feel it will dry up sooner rather than later. It is an easy league to score goals in, last year Dani Montenegro got 15 from midfield in a bottom half team, and the year before that Denis got 27. Remember last year Morel got 13 in the Apertura for Tigre? That was also from midfield, and now a year later he is playing regularly for the team bottom of the Primera A. Players like Sava have banged in goals consistently all their career, and all he ever got was half a season at Fulham and a years loan at a struggling Celta Vigo. Goals just don't hold the same weight in Argentina, although I am happy to be proved wrong![/quote']

I agree that he shouldn't and won't make the world cup squad, and that if he were to be considered, that Silva and Fernandez would be ahead of him. Like I've said before, his best chance of getting a call-up is for the friendly in March-time, or after the world cup. But, I have read some quote from Diego Lugano saying that he's highly thought of by the Uruguay manager, or something of the sort.

As for your point about moving to Europe, I can see where you are coming from, but I think the pure size and stature of Boghossian may be attractive to some European teams. His physical characteristics certainly provide a side with a different option and mode of attack. He could be snapped up thinking they have the new Zigic, or something similar. That may not be the best compliment, but he could be that sort of impact striker. Whether he actually makes it in Europe is a different matter.

Either way, we'll have to see if he can back-up his good Apertura with some more goals and good performances in the Clausura. Only then will we be able to truly judge the lad.

I agree that he shouldn't and won't make the world cup squad' date=' and that if he were to be considered, that Silva and Fernandez would be ahead of him. Like I've said before, his best chance of getting a call-up is for the friendly in March-time, or after the world cup. But, I have read some quote from Diego Lugano saying that he's highly thought of by the Uruguay manager, or something of the sort.

As for your point about moving to Europe, I can see where you are coming from, but I think the pure size and stature of Boghossian may be attractive to some European teams. His physical characteristics certainly provide a side with a different option and mode of attack. He could be snapped up thinking they have the new Zigic, or something similar. That may not be the best compliment, but he could be that sort of impact striker. Whether he actually makes it in Europe is a different matter.

Either way, we'll have to see if he can back-up his good Apertura with some more goals and good performances in the Clausura. Only then will we be able to truly judge the lad.[/quote']

Yeah that is fair enough. I just think he is a South America player, not a European one.

Also, are you sure he moved to Newell's on a free? I had always thought he was on loan from Cerro.

Is he more of a money maker' date=' or a keeper?[/quote']
Depends who you ask :P

I'd keep him to see how he develops. If he keeps on scoring next year then he'll likely rise to 86/87 the changes after next, by which time rumours of a move to Europe may be more concrete. On the other hand, he and Newell's could easily slip back into mediocrity and it may be worth cashing in on him.

But it's all "ifs and buts" right now.

Cheers for that pal. :)

I usually like the job that IMScouting does on their "player to watch" reports, but I don't think they've done a great job here. The report claims that Newell's don't have the option to buy him next summer, when I'm certain they do. It also claims that Boghossian has a very good leap, when that's not necessarily true. Although not always the case, Boghossian often doesn't get off the ground very well due to the fact his sheer height means he can get away with it. Overall, a pretty sketchy and rather vague effort from a reputable source, but at least he's getting the attention he deserves.

Since IMScouting did that report on Boghossian, it has since been passed on to the News of the World website (word-for-word, but quoted). As much as I despise that piece of trash for a newspaper, Boghossian's making a bit of a name for himself.

In other news, after such disastrous seasons for the two giants of Argentine football, the talk in the local press has been about River and Boca bringing in new faces to strengthen their squads for the Clausura. Interestingly, new River president Daniel Passarella has singled out Boghossian to be brought in as their saviour up front after a replacement for Falcao just didn't appear in the Apertura. Newell's have already ruled this out and I can't see it going ahead myself to be honest but it goes to show what an impact that the big Uruguayan has had on the game in Argentina over the course of very few months.