Joaquin Boghossian

andyowls

Re: Joaquin Boghossian

Bad move imo. Should of waited and moved to a bigger club in Europe such as' date=' Schalke, Hamburg,Ajax, Benfica etc[/quote']

On the contrary, I think it's a good move for him. It would do him no good to sit on the bench for any of those sides. In Austria, he will likely start every game and score goals in a weak league. It may be a stepping-stone before moving on to another side, although I think a team of the standard that Janko has joined (FC Twente) might be Boghossian's maximum.

None of which he was good enough for.

Agreed.

Wasn't he top scorer in the Argentinian league or just behind Boselli?

He was something a little bit different. He liked it in the air, and was a big strong player. Defences are used to small crafty players playing passing football and nipping in and out of spaces. Another season at Newell's and he'd have been down to a goal every 4/5 games kind of ratio. He'd been figured out. He'll suit Austria well though. Reminds me of Maierhofer, who did very well there.

I thought Wallner was the guy to replace Janko? :confused: Plus' date=' they also bought Gonzalo Zarate as well.[/quote']

Wallner is small. Zarate is bordering on a winger rather than a CF. Aschauer is the only tall CF they have, and he is nowhere near ready yet. Boghossian is 3 cm taller than the huge Janko (1.92m), who owed so much of his success to his height.

• 2 weeks later...

Boghossian made his debut for Red Bull Salzburg at the weekend as a 55th minute substitute against Rapid Wien, and he made an instant impact by making a nuisance of himself from a long throw and flicking the ball on for fellow substitute Jantscher to fire home on the half-volley. Unfortunately, a late winner for the hosts meant Boghossian kicked off life in Austra with a defeat. You can see him entering the fray (3:22) and getting his assist (3:32) in this video:

1bAkq74Bw2w

Tonight, Boghossian got his first goal for the club in a crushing 4-1 victory against Omonia to progress to the next stage of Champions League qualification. I'll post that video once it becomes available.

Could we be seeing El Flaco rubbing shoulders with Europe's finest this season?

Guest Abdel Zizi

Could we be seeing El Flaco rubbing shoulders with Europe's finest this season?

I have a gut feeling they will meet Anderlecht in the last round, so no, hewon't make it ;)

I have a gut feeling they will meet Anderlecht in the last round' date=' so no, hewon't make it ;)[/quote']

Remind me not to trust that gut of yours Abdel. ;)

Yes, Red Bull Salzburg were handed a kind draw in the form of Israeli champions Hapoel Tel Aviv, with the winners of this tie progressing to the group stages of the UEFA Champions League proper. While it won't be straight-forward progress for the Austrian champions, there were far greater dangers in the draw and they must feel confident going into the game.

As promised, here is Boghossian's goal from last week against Greek side Omonia Nicosia:

qIKnDnuHkGE

As he is so good at doing so, Boghossian manages to subtly peel off his marker and glance a neat header into the far corner of the net, making the score 4-0 at this point. Earlier on in the game, his sheer presence at a long throw occupied THREE Greek defenders, allowing Franz Schiemer the room to power home a header for 2-0. Boghossian played the full 90 in this match, his first start for his new club.

This weekend, Red Bull Salzburg finally picked up their first win of the new league season to get their campaign up and running. Boghossian again started and again he was on the scoresheet. SC Magna had only conced one goal in their first three games of the season before this game, but went down by a convincing 4-2 scoreline, with El Flaco scoring the fourth to make sure of the points. A neat through-ball by Jakob Jantscher found Boghossian through on goal and in plenty of space, and he made no mistake in stabbing past the opposition goalkeeper:

rmRUDItFDGA

So it's been a good start to life in Austria for Boghossian and the early signs are pointing towards a prolific campaign for the heady Uruguayan hitman. I'll be keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that we'll be seeing him up against the cream of Europe's crop as well this term. :)

Hi.

I am from Uruguay and i am upset because Boghossian has not been called to represent our country.

I think that he is better than Cavani...

He would be great playing alonside Luis Suarez and Forlan.

I have been watching Salzburg and i am very impressed with the type of football they play.

I did not know the Austrian football were so good.

I have been told that Rapid of Viena and Austria of Viena have been in Uruguay long time ago...

Cheers.

Hebert

Hi.

I am from Uruguay and i am upset because Boghossian has not been called to represent our country.

He would be great playing alonside Luis Suarez and Forlan.

I have been watching Salzburg and i am very impressed with the type of football they play.

I did not know the Austrian football were so good.

I have been told that Rapid of Viena and Austria of Viena have been in Uruguay long time ago...

Cheers.

Hebert

Hi Hebert' date='

Nice to hear from a fellow Boghossian fan! I can see where you are coming from but I understand why he hasn't been given the chance just yet. I think it's worth remembering that he's only had one or two decent seasons thus far in his career, and with me not being sure of the standard of the Uruguayan league, it may be true to say that he's only had one decent season in a decent league (apologies if I'm being rude towards the Uruguayan league). I'm sure that if he can continue the form he showed with Newell's Old Boys last year in Austria, which he certainly seems capable of, then we'll be seeing him knocking on the international door before too long.

I do, however, find it incredible that Santiago Silva never seems to get a look in for Uruguay, even as just a fourth of fifth option. I love that guy as well.

They were amongst the 4 last teams in the bowl when the draws were made! So close.

Close is not good enough in my book, boy! :P

• 7 months later...

2 things...

I wasn't quoting you directly there' date=' I was talking about the international discussion in general. I do not rate him enough to be anywhere near the World Cup squad, but this is just my opinion. He is not to the standard of Tanque Silva this season, in terms of finishing ability and all round ability. And he is not in the slightest as good as Sand was, and he never got the move to Europe. His goal scoring record cannot be argued with, but I do not rate him as a player, and feel it will dry up sooner rather than later. It is an easy league to score goals in, last year Dani Montenegro got 15 from midfield in a bottom half team, and the year before that Denis got 27. Remember last year Morel got 13 in the Apertura for Tigre? That was also from midfield, and now a year later he is playing regularly for the team bottom of the Primera A. Players like Sava have banged in goals consistently all their career, and all he ever got was half a season at Fulham and a years loan at a struggling Celta Vigo. Goals just don't hold the same weight in Argentina, although I am happy to be proved wrong![/quote']

I'm always right :P

A season later how funny is that now :o:D

Aye' date=' I'll give you this one - he's really not doing much at Salzburg, is he? Still, he was a good riser at the time! Just hasn't progressed to that next level.[/quote']

Used substitute really it seems. Think he should come back to Argentina, he'd be great at River. Provide a bit of height for maybe the smallest team in world football!