Victor Valdes Rating of 91

tecalee

Victor Valdes Rating of 91  

1. 1.

Re: Victor Valdes Rating of 91

Isn't it great to see a totally unbias poll ;).

Please answer this' date=' what has Victor Valdez done since the last changes that would merit a rise?[/quote']

I am talking about the treble winning Gk of Barcelona, one of if not the best team in the world.

Reina 93?

Frey 93?

Frey 93' date=' He does not play international's[/quote']

There's a gulf in class between Frey and Valdes.

Valdes is a decent keeper pulls off the odd good save, but he is prone to silly errors. He has won the Zamora twice however (something maybe to do with the 10 amazing outfield players who make sure there is always more pressure on the opposition keeper). One more than Iker Casillas has managed in alonger playing career, but the last great Barca keeper Andoni Zubi only won the award once as well :eek:

I am talking about the treble winning Gk of Barcelona' date=' one of if not the best team in the world.

Reina 93?

Frey 93?[/quote']

Both are much better Gk's than Frey. Stats are all well and good for predicting players rating under 90 but when you go over it you have to take their ability into consideration and Valdes just isn't that great. 91 is fine.

I think Valdes is a decent keeper, nothing more. You can't use reasons like "he plays for the best team in the world" to merit him a rise. And if you try to use goals conceded to merit a rise, you have to remember the team he has playing in front of him. Casillas has a great team in front of him aswell, but his rating is merited due to him being an outstanding keeper even when Real's defence aren't playing well. Valdes is hardly ever outstanding and the defence in front of him don't allow many opportunities on goal.

Is Victor Valdes' rating of 91 fair?

Playing for the best team in the world etc' date=' etc.

Compared to other GK's surley he should be more.

What do you think[/quote']

Could you please elaborate that etc, etc point you made? Because the fact that he plays for Barca is the only argument you brought so far. Is there any attribute where he exceeds other 91 rated keepers? Is he a better shot-stopper than Adler or Akinfeev? Is he less error-prone than Lloris or Mandanda? Is he even better at anticipating the game as someone like Lehmann? Tbh, in a direct comparison, he even loses against most 90rated keepers. And as many pointed out before, the 4 men in front of him (or rather 3, considering Dani Alves rarely is found near his own penalty area...) are the only reason he even is above 90.

Both are much better Gk's than Frey. Stats are all well and good for predicting players rating under 90 but when you go over it you have to take their ability into consideration and Valdes just isn't that great. 91 is fine.

Ken always talks a lot of sense so I'm assuming he means Frey and Reina are much better than Valdes. Funnily enough I agree SM ratings should be based on how well someone actually plays football and not about stats, which is why I completely abhor the thought of Valdes rising to 93 just because Barcelona won the treble. I would be disappointed with an increase to 92 too as he's the weak link at Barca just like Almunia at Arsenal who adds nothing special to the team, but if he reaches 93 without a radical change in his game, that's the time to quit playing SM or let blind people decide player ratings. Ow and this has to be the most biased poll I've seen yet - will Valdes rise or will he rise even more? D'oh! :rolleyes:

I am talking about the treble winning Gk of Barcelona' date=' one of if not the best team in the world.

Reina 93?

Frey 93?[/quote']

Playing for Barcelona doesn't guarantee you a rating of 92 or above. As others have pointed out if he wasn't at Barcelona it's unlikely he'd be rated 91. Your two comparisons just prove my point. Valdes is not in the same league as Reina or Frey.

• 1 month later...

I can see his point as players are rated in SM based on what league, what team and how well that team is playing. Obviously international caps and personal performance as well but I've thought for a while now that its strange that he is rated 91 when he has played consistently for one of the best teams. I have him in none of my teams and don’t have great experience of him playing so cant judge on that but I would have thought a 92 or 93 rating would have been fair for the amount of games he has played. To play 40+ games for the last six seasons for a club like Barcelona then this guy is no mug and not as bad you some are trying to make out.

I don’t understand why some of you are saying he should not be rated higher just due to what club he is playing for as this is how most of the ratings get judged on from what I have seen in the couple of years I've being playing. You play for atop club and then you will get a higher rating than playing for a lower rated club no matter how well you play for the lower rated club.

Is Victor Valdes' rating of 91 fair?

Playing for the best team in the world etc' date=' etc.

Compared to other GK's surley he should be more.

What do you think[/quote']

Isn't that nice.

Barcelona are the best team in the world on their day. No team can be on top form all the time, imo.

But not losing a game so far this season is impressive ;)

I think Valdes should rise. He has good communication with his defense and only messes up occasionally. A lot of goals he lets in are either scorchers or are from great play/ point-blank range. The only thing hindering him is his mistakes but the amount of times he has safely claimed the ball and rushes off his line correctly far exceeds the times he embarrasses himself. I've seen him make some amazing stops over the years. His positioning is pretty stable. I think, like Casillas, he is great at building his clubs attacks and has good distribution. I'd even say that I can't find many other goalkeepers with better distribution. He handles pressure really well and doesn't make mistakes in the big games, of which he has been involved in many this year e.g. Inter/Real. If you look at the second choice goalkeeper, Pinto, you can see how bad a decent goalkeeper can play in the risky, attacking Barca formation. It'd only natural that a keeper will mess up a few times if he had to play in that type of system. I think Valdes could walk into the England, Russia, France etc.. teams and I think any team would benefit from his presence and experience.

Having said that, I definitely don't think he is near the top goalkeepers in the world but think he deserves a 92, at least. I DO think Pep will buy another (better) goalie come next year but Arsenal, for one, could do with his presence.

IMO I think he should drop. I think he's the only kink in barca's chain. Pep will surely buy a better keeper soon enough. For me' date=' Valdez should NOT be in a barca team.[/quote']

Then i would say you are a Joker because Valdes is a very good keeper.He deserves more than a 91 and defo a 92 class IMO. :D

Cech has played 19 matches so far and has let in 16 goals this season (11 of which have been from set pieces.) Last season he played 35 matches and let in 22 goals. (Statistics wise he is on course to let in approx. +29 goals.)

Given has played 19 matches so far and has let in 27 goals this season, last season at Newcastle he let in 32 goals in 22 appearances plus 18 goals in 15 matches for Manchester City, for a grand total of 50 goals in 37 matches. (he seems to be on course to let in a similar amount of goals this season too.)

Valdes has played 15 matches so far and has let in 10 goals this season, last season 34 matches played 29 goals against, so statistically speaking he is doing much better than last season. (he is looking at letting in approx +22 goals.)

Now argueably both Chelsea and Barcelona have some of the best defenders in the world, but with Manchester spending big recently and improving their defence, you also have to hold the goalkeepers accountable, it doesn't rest purely on anyone players shoulders. Which begs the question why a keeper who lets in 50 + goals (last season) and is looking likely to do so again this season, is rated the same as a goalkeeper who will be unlucky to even reach 50 in the two seasons combined, not to mention he helped the team to win 6 trophies in a year.