Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

arsenal kick off their pre-season programme on saturday in the markus liebherr memorial cup - and will bring a blend of youth and experience down to southampton for the tournament.

The gunners will face premier league newcomers southampton and belgian side anderlecht as part of a round-robin tournament of 45-minute matches. Arsène wenger’s side open against anderlecht at 6.45pm, before rounding off the day against the hosts at 8pm.

Arsène wenger has named a young squad for the matches at st mary’s, although the likes of gervinho, johan djourou, marouane chamakh, andre santos, francis coquelin and kieran gibbs are all included in the 23-man squad.

None of the club’s players who featured at euro 2012 are in the travelling party as they are yet to return to training.

But those arsenal fans attending the tournament will have the opportunity to see kyle bartley, vito mannone and henri lansbury back in arsenal colours again after successful loan spells at rangers, hull city and west ham respectively last season.

There is also the chance to see some of the club’s rising stars in action, such as dutch midfielder kyle ebecilio, exciting swedish teenager kristoffer olsson and german star thomas eisfeld.

ooooooooooooo

If rafael and fabio can play for man utd' date=' why cant he play for arsenal. i dont understand this :confused:[/quote']

"Wellington Silva ‏@wsilva11

Thank you all for the posts, I am very happy of this in England in a big club which is the Arsenal, but I'll be loaned again to Spain!"

he however is in london right now training with us.

to my knowledge he still doesnt have a work permit after his special young talent one was revoked which is why he has to continually be loaned out

Maybe i'm out of touch.

Playing a 45 minute match at 6:45 then another one at 8 seems like a weird format to me. Is this normal for pre-season tourneys? :confused:

Oh I didnt realise it was a tournament. It does seem confusing, especially if Anderlecht and Southampton arent going to play each other.

Maybe i'm out of touch.

Playing a 45 minute match at 6:45 then another one at 8 seems like a weird format to me. Is this normal for pre-season tourneys? :confused:

What's so weird about it. It's basically ONE match against a different team in each half. There are a good number of tourneys like this around in pre-seasons.

I've read this a while ago but I'm not 100% certain of it. Anderlecht and Southampton start of the tourney in a 45 min match as well :)

Ah yeh that seems less confusing now. Should be a good tourney. I think everyone gets a 30 mins rest which is a good thing.

Ah yeh that seems less confusing now. Should be a good tourney. I think everyone gets a 30 mins rest which is a good thing.

Yep I was right. It's on Flashscore as well :)

EUROPE: Memorial Cup

17:15 Southampton - Anderlecht

18:45 Arsenal - Anderlecht

20:00 Southampton- Arsenal

I think Rangers we're meant to be participating tomorrow but have pulled out due to there liquidation(dont hold me to this but I think thats why there's only 3 teams), should be a good competition still tho.

Good name for the Tournament as Markus Liebherr was one of the nicest owners i've come across while watching football.

I think Rangers we're meant to be participating tomorrow but have pulled out due to there liquidation(dont hold me to this but I think thats why there's only 3 teams)' date=' should be a good competition still tho.

Good name for the Tournament as Markus Liebherr was one of the nicest owners i've come across while watching football.[/quote']

Yes. Rangers were supposed to be in it. But they were replaced by Anderlecht, it was always supposed to be 3 teams :)