Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Guest King Kolo

Re: Arsenal Gossip

Rooney probably took a bad touch because Almunia was coming towards him and we didn't want to give a small touch that Almunia would get it and Almunia was all over him so he needed to take a big touch.

Rooney probably took a bad touch because Almunia was coming towards him and we didn't want to give a small touch that Almunia would get it and Almunia was all over him so he needed to take a big touch.

please note that a big touch like that (took the ball really wide) would result in nothing to help him score... if he was trying to score he'd poke it just pass (forwards/slightly to the side) so that once if he does he gets the ball he CAN slide the ball in the net

Guest King Kolo

please note that a big touch like that (took the ball really wide) would result in nothing to help him score... if he was trying to score he'd poke it just pass (forwards/slightly to the side) so that once if he does he gets the ball he CAN slide the ball in the net

He couldn't really as he was being put under massive pressure by Almunia and if he tapped it Almunia would have got it, if Almunia had slid in and he wasn't going to foul him then Rooney would have been able to tap it round him, what the heck was Almunia doing there?

Erm.... stay on his feet?

And go where? away from the ball? That makes sense :o

He was running after the ball (which i think you need to score a goal, feel free to correct me :rolleyes:) and Almunia got in his way......

Almunia committed the foul, Boruc pulled out, if you can't see the difference then you know very little about football ;)

And go where? away from the ball? That makes sense :o

He was running after the ball (which i think you need to score a goal' date=' feel free to correct me :rolleyes:) and Almunia got in his way......

Almunia committed the foul, Boruc pulled out, if you can't see the difference then you know very little about football ;)[/quote']

It is a foul if the gk actualy causes the man to go down, in todays case, he clearly didn't

UEFA chief executive David Taylor says Wenger's comments on l'affaire Eduardo are "total nonsense" :

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/08/30/1469884/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-is-talking-total-nonsense-over

UEFA chief executive David Taylor has hit out at Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger over the Eduardo incident in last week’s Champions League match with Celtic.

The striker has been hit with a UEFA charge of “deceiving the referee” after winning a penalty in a challenge with goalkeeper Artur Boruc when little contact appeared to be made.

Wenger has since branded the charge “a disgrace” and accused UEFA of a “witch-hunt”; however, Taylor has now taken time out to respond to the French tactician’s comments.

“What he is saying is totally without foundation. No-one is re-reffing a game, this is about the image of football,” Taylor told the News of the World.

We only look at matters of a serious nature that the referee did not see. The regulations allow for this type of action but they are only used sparingly.”

The chief executive also denied that Celtic or the Scottish FA had any influence in UEFA’s decision-making.

"It's all about the severity of the alleged deception. This is nothing new,” he explained.

“To suggest I or my Scottish colleagues were involved in this decision is total nonsense. I haven't even heard from Celtic or the Scottish FA.”

So if the referee did not see the incident, why did he award the penalty in the first place? :rolleyes:

If they really are interested in protecting the 'image of football', how about punishing Ashley Young (not one but TWO dives that won penalties against Rapid Vienna), Wayne Rooney (for a dive similar to the Eduardo one), Pedro Rodriguez (in the Super Cup game) & also Lionel Messi, who bizarrely received only a yellow card for a headbutt on Darijo Srna?

I want to make a point about the eduardo incident

tbf they're basically punishing him for the REF's mistake. not saying in this case it was his mistake for missing it but if you take it this way. Had the ref seen it, it would of been a yellow for simulation but since the ref DIDN'T see it its a two game ban. Does it make any sense? Tbf if they're going to do this diving has to be a red or else it doesnt make any sense at all

I want to make a point about the eduardo incident

tbf they're basically punishing him for the REF's mistake. not saying in this case it was his mistake for missing it but if you take it this way. Had the ref seen it' date=' it would of been a yellow for simulation but since the ref DIDN'T see it its a two game ban. Does it make any sense? Tbf if they're going to do this diving has to be a red or else it doesnt make any sense at all[/quote']

oh, so its the refs fault, not eduardo's for actually performing the dive!!!!

Would think I've come to the right guys> I have just selected/ taken Arsenal in a brand new-setup today & I have always admired Wenger' date=' LUV FUTURE Superstar Wilshere & have a private bet with my son that Arsenal will win either the Premiership or Champions League THIS SEASON. I have 10/1 (just a fiver. He can afford it!) Anyway, my initial review / reaction is possibly to sell:- 1) Senderos 2) Silvestre 3) Nasri (Injured) 4) Possibly Eboue but might find him difficult to replace @ RM. Looking to replace CB's with say Hangeland or similars.

So my first question is do you disagree with above? Any suggestions comments welcome.

2nd Question. I have to admit my ignorance about some young prospects ie who to keep & others much longer term?:-

5) MERIDA, Francisco 6) RANDALL, Mark 7) SIMPSON, Jay 8) FREEMAN, Luke

9) SUNU, Gilles.

3rd Question: Any suggestions on weaknesses at top level ie what Arsenal need ie a replacement CF instead of Bendtner?? Replace CB: DJOUROU, Johan? Problem here is how many better CB's CF's (Berg) are there?

£30 million available, which is a drop in ocean at this level.

Quite a intellectual excercise for keen Arsenal expert supporters, yes but I guess you've been thru this yourselves having got the club yourselves. I'll try to do Arsenal proud! Wilshere Rules OK! Thanks in advance, for your considered thoughts .....[/quote']

Bump, Just to say thank you for all your advice on the forum & one very enlightening pm, all should have received reps by now. Any more advice re above OR your views on 1) fringe players, Francis COQUELIN, Kerrea GILBERT & incidentally had bid Van Nistlerooy + Robben + £20million for Fabregas - was I right to refuse such a tempting offer? My view is he has further improving to do & others have had their day??

Bump' date=' Just to say thank you for all your advice on the forum & one very enlightening pm, all should have received reps by now. Any more advice re above OR your views on 1) fringe players, Francis COQUELIN, Kerrea GILBERT & incidentally had bid Van Nistlerooy + Robben + £20million for Fabregas - was I right to refuse such a tempting offer? My view is he has further improving to do & others have had their day??[/quote']

Keep Coquelin; he's a very promising fella. Offload Gilbert. And yes, it was a good thing that you rejected the deal & hung onto Cesc. :)

Bump' date=' Just to say thank you for all your advice on the forum & one very enlightening pm, all should have received reps by now. Any more advice re above OR your views on 1) fringe players, Francis COQUELIN, Kerrea GILBERT & incidentally had bid Van Nistlerooy + Robben + £20million for Fabregas - was I right to refuse such a tempting offer? My view is he has further improving to do & others have had their day??[/quote']

Regarding your selling:

1). Senderos - I dont and have never liked him, he already appears close to moving to Everton. I wouldnt keep him. I'd buy a strong, tall CB as Gallas and Vermaelen are hardly giants. Hangeland would be good but perhaps hard to purchase.

2). Silvestre - I'd get rid of him tbh, getting on abit and not that good. If you do get Hangeland then you should look to a younger CB after you sell Silvestre. Someone like Steven Taylor or Ryan Shawcross.

3). A very tough one. Nasri is a quality player, one of my favourites. He should keep his rating even with the injury, i'd keep him. But if you do feel inclined to sell then try and get someone in the same mold and maybe cash.

4). Eboue is looking alot better this season, he certainly wont drop. It all depends on how you want to use him. I'd keep him for back-up at the RB and RM slots, and maybe bring in a younger RM or RB so if any injuries/suspensions occur then they can fill the void for a match or so.

Now, regarding the youngsters:

1). Fran Merida - I believe i saw he is/has moved out on loan somewhere. Although it isnt mentioned on the Arsenal website. Maybe i just imagined the loan deal? (And no, i'm not thinking of last years loan spell at Real Sociedad :P ).

2). Mark Randall - Although making the bench quite regularly, he's not getting much playing time at all. I dont think his future lies at Arsenal. Sell ;) .

3). Jay Simpson - Currently on loan at QPR, already played one match for them (although not scoring). Tbh, like Randall, i dont see his future at Arsenal. Maybe Wenger disagrees. He's had a few successfull loan deals so far, and has proved he can score goals. If he does establish himself, it wont be for another season at least. He wont rise but shouldnt drop. I'd sell.

4). Luke Freeman - He wont play but i'd still keep him. Looks very good for the future. But that all depends on how long you plan to stay at your Arsenal side...

5). Gilles Sunu - Same as Freeman. May feaure shortly in the Carling Cup, might not.

Regarding Bendtner and Djourou:

1). Bendtner - He's looking alot better this season, more composed. I'd keep him, he's got a great touch and will improve vastly on last year. Yes, maybe some people will say you should offload him but i disagree. Berg or Dzeko would be great additions to the team, but with RVP, Bendtner, Eduardo, Vela, Arshavin and Diaby (i suppose you can count him, he's played in that role in the three man attack recently and does it well) you wont really need anyone else. Again, i'd say bring in a cheap, younger player rated about 85 just for backup. Someone like Paloschi (84), who is young but has a big future and will fill in when needed.

2). Djourou - Johann will be more of a regular this season but he's still abit shakey at the back. He'll do a decent job but i wouldnt keep him. Offload him and, as i mentioned above, bring in someone like Shawcross or Taylor.

Regarding the fringe players:

1). Francis Coquelin - I really like this kid. Definately one for the future. I'd keep him in the youth squad and maybe give him a run in the Cup, if your playing lower opposition. If your in one of those setups that is quite competitive, and may contain a few forumers, you could play him in a few friendleys, or maybe as a 75th minute sub in league games. I myself use D'Alessandro (18, rated 74) as a sub, and he's done great. DO NOT SELL. :)

2). Kerrea Gilbert - Havent really seen this guy play, but i'd still sell. His future is not at Arsenal. He's spent the majority of his career out on loan already, including spells at Cardiff, Southend and, most recently, Leicester. He'll have to get past Eboue, Sagne, Clichy, Traore and Gibbs on either flank at the back. I wouldnt be surprised to see him leave before the end of the transfer window, even more likely he'll join another Champioship side on loan.

And, finally, regarding your transfer options:

Fabregas - Although this is a tempting deal, i wouldnt accept. You already have a good enough front line and your left mid spot is well occupied. Having the likes of Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky and Vela on the left midfield (with them also being able to play some sort of forward role), and Arshavin, Eduardo, RVP, Vela, and Bendtner up front your sorted. Plus, theres the up-comings of Rhys Murphy, Sanchez Watt and Nacer Barazite who will play more often this season. Not forgetting Wilshere and Ramsey, of course, who will hit 15 plus games this season.

I would stick with the majority of the team but slighly change the defense. Ship out Silvestre, Djourou and Senderos and bring in Steven Taylor/Bassong, Brede Hangeland and Ryan Shawcross. Maybe even buy a backup RM/CM like Kightly/Cattermole. You should have enough with the three sales + the 30 million, maybe even some left over for some mindless spending! ;)

Hope this helped mate. :D

oh' date=' so its the refs fault, not eduardo's for[b'] actually performing the dive!!!![/b]

I think you misunderstood. He was talking about the inconsistency in the rules that retrospective punishment for a dive which the ref fails to punish is a 2-game ban, while a dive that is spotted by the ref earns the player only a yellow.

Regarding the dive in question, the rules (in essence) state that the player guilty of cheating can be punished retrospectively if the referee has missed it. In the Eduardo case, the fact that the referee awarded the penalty indicates that he (or at least the linesman) had spotted the incident, so aren't UEFA contradicting their own rules while trying to ban the Croatian?

I just saw something which claimed that Man U are in transfers talks for Fabregas. I think Fabregas has more chance of going to Manchester City or Barcelona than Man U.

Are you just taking this from the 'Summer Transfer Rumours' thread or have you a link? I'm not even asking for a reliable one lol