Sign in to follow this  
joshylong

Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Tonight's League Cup Tie is showing what Arsenal do not have, Chelsea were 1-0 down, and not back long from Japan, but still managed to force a comeback out of a poor performance. It is what we miss in the league as well as the cups. For example Swansea we could of scored before the Michu madness.

Gary Neville made the point the other night. Defensively one of the best' date=' but poor amount of chances created (like you say) but also a poor conversion rate of shots. Both are of course relative to their exemplary defensive stats.

For a team in the top three or four teams for defending, being in the top ten for attacking stats is not so great[/quote']

They are 3rd in goals scored, 5th in (least) conceded. :rolleyes: Finishing really is one of the least of their problems. Instead, the number of chances created... or more likely, the getting to attack in the first place, is the problem. Most of the players do not really get to scoring area, and play too much backpasses. This got better with introducing simply attacking minded Walcott, but I still crave for him to be played on the right flank, and Giroud starting in the middle, because that works well, and it precisely on the flanks that they need players more ready to get either the ball or themselves into the box.

Gary Neville is a muppet, anyway, I would not quote him to make a point.

Tonight's League Cup Tie is showing what Arsenal do not have' date=' Chelsea were 1-0 down, and not back long from Japan, but still managed to force a comeback out of a poor performance. It is what we miss in the league as well as the cups. For example Swansea we could of scored before the Michu madness.[/quote']

Lets not worry about Chelsea. We have our own qualities and our own fighting spirit. Let's not start admiring a team who aren't exactly having a stellar season themselves.

That's you boys out then.

Where did you buy your crystal ball mate? Might have to purchase one:p

Jokes aside, Im happy because we havent got Barcelona and Bayern are fresh opponents so I really dont mind. Gonna enjoy it.

Celtic will play Italian side Juventus, while Arsenal take on last year's beaten finalists Bayern Munich.

I would say something smart like 'Now Youre defo out' or something but your just as likely to win against them as Chelsea were......:o

'Schalke striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, 29, is set to sign a new contract and remain at the German club, despite interest in the Dutchman from Liverpool and Arsenal.'

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/19/klaas-jan-huntelaar-ends-arsenal-and-liverpool-interest-by-signing-new-schalke-deal-3323651/

However it is the Metro.....:P

Jokes aside' date=' Im happy because we havent got Barcelona and Bayern are fresh opponents so I really dont mind. Gonna enjoy it.[/quote']

Quite exited at the prospect of our team facing Bayern Munich, but our avoiding Barcelona would have broken a heart or two (talking about Song and Fabregas).

Jokes aside' date=' Im happy because we havent got Barcelona and Bayern are fresh opponents so I really dont mind. Gonna enjoy it.[/quote']

Personally, atm I would rather play even Barcelona than Bayern. Bayern are the strongest team of the moment and would wipe the floors with Barcelona right now. Good bye Arsenal!

Anyway, what a lousy draw!!!

Galatasaray-Schalke

Valencia-PSG

Porto-Malaga

From these three pairs none will be in the final - unless of course their luck continues and they play each other in quarters (with an odd not-so-strong stronger team, let's say Juve, for one of them), then in semis. Meanwhile, Bayern-Arsenal, Real-ManU, fortunately Milan at least will be shown the way out by Barcelona at this point. In fact, I could add Celtic-Juve to that list of bad teams meeting, Juve hasn't been all that convincing, but since they lead Serie A with a margin, I let that be. I hate it when it goes like this. Even Shakhtar-Dortmund is... well, fair enough, they won pretty tough groups, let them play each other at this point. But the day that a team like Schalke or Galatasaray plays Real Madrid or Barcelona we will see another 7-0 whooping and I just do not want to see that in the semis.

However, there's a good chance for Bayern-Schalke in quarters, that would be neat.

And yet: PSG-Milan not happening this year. Too bad, would have loved to see that, and this was precisely the season when it should have happened.

You're already out.It isn't a Borussia...it is even worse probably.Munich would outplay your defence just with Ribery.

You cant be knocked out of a competition before the two legs are played actually. You see football in actually played over 90mins (and in the case of the CL knockout stages) 2 legs.

You may think we'll go out, which is fair enough, but it is too early to say. If we made assumptions about he CL last year then Chelsea wouldn't have even got past the round of 16....and they went on to win it.

You cant be knocked out of a competition before the two legs are played actually. You see football in actually played over 90mins (and in the case of the CL knockout stages) 2 legs.

You may think we'll go out' date=' which is fair enough, but it is too early to say. If we made assumptions about he CL last year then Chelsea wouldn't have even got past the round of 16....and they went on to win it.[/quote']

True, all true, of course, and yet.... don't take this personally, even if it was Bayern-Real I would have said "Good bye Real Madrid!"

On the good note, their current form might not follow to next year when the games are played. Let's hope, however, that you both get your best team lined up. Who knows, maybe the team of the spring 2013 is Arsenal, anything can happen, but the team of this year has pretty indubitably been Bayern and it bloody looks like it is going to be Bayern next spring as well. It is written all over everywhere that Bayern will win CL next spring.

Do-able. Bayern have a seriously iffy defence, (yes, i know) and we can get at them. Then you've got Ribery who can be contained, Robben who's erratic and Gomez who's a clown. We'll need our midfield to be strong but we can certainly do them.

Do-able. Bayern have a seriously iffy defence' date=' (yes, i know) and we can get at them. Then you've got Ribery who can be contained, Robben who's erratic and Gomez who's a clown. We'll need our midfield to be strong but we can certainly do them.[/quote']

I agree to a certain extent. Id worry about their service from out wide into Gomez, which is how they get most of their goals with a lot of near post crosses. But apart from that i think their defence is no better than ours and if Wilshere, Cazorla and Arteta are on their game we could (hopefully) dominate the midfield which is always important.

I think the key is to not concede at home. It's one of the games where I'd almost prefer a 0-0 draw to a 2-1 win for instance. But it's one of them games where you can't predict or make plans, it will just be two great teams going head to head.

Do-able. Bayern have a seriously iffy defence' date=' (yes, i know) and we can get at them. Then you've got [b']Ribery who can be contained[/b], Robben who's erratic and Gomez who's a clown. We'll need our midfield to be strong but we can certainly do them.

Your defence has no chances to keep Ribery calm for 90 minutes.1 mistake(which is probably) and you'll get punished.He can easily get past of 3/4 players and with Vermaelen who loves to go foward....Yeah keep dreaming.Gomez is a clown?Yeah..You'd wish to have a striker like him in your team.He's probably better then your whole team.Who you have upfront?Giroud?Podolski?Chamack?Yeah..Gomez is a clown.

You may think we'll go out' date=' which is fair enough, but it is too early to say. If we made assumptions about he CL last year then Chelsea wouldn't have even got past the round of 16....and they went on to win it.[/quote']

That was very smart but you actually have no chance vs Munich.They can play the 2nd team and would still win.On Allianz...you don't really have a chance.Dominate the midfield?Hahha..You make me laugh.Kroos alone is better then your whole midfield.

You're already out.It isn't a Borussia...it is even worse probably.Munich would outplay your defence just with Ribery.
Personally' date=' atm I would rather play even Barcelona than Bayern. Bayern are the strongest team of the moment and would wipe the floors with Barcelona right now. Good bye Arsenal![/quote']

Thats why i am excited about us facing Bayern. Because we have nothing to lose, but if we manage to cause a major upset, then it may silence a critic or two and boost the morale of the team.

Thats why i am exicted about us facing Bayern. Because we have nothing to lose' date=' but if we manage to cause a major upset, then it may scielence a critic or two and boost the morale of the team.[/quote']

Oh please...Arsenal will dominate the midfield :rolleyes: