Sign in to follow this  
joshylong

Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

So' date=' I guess its safe to say Walcott will be our CF?

btw nice to see Henry at the emirates :)[/quote']

Yep, we need to start a front three of Podolski, Walcott and Ox in every game we can, we do that and we'll win, even if we concede a couple or few like today.

Tell you what though' date=' when attacking at speed his passing is still terrible.

Give him time and he can put in a decent ball like for Giroud's goal. Still, he's the hat-trick hero well done Theo.

Now sign the ting![/quote']

Yeh true, if he improves his passing at speed he will be absolutely deadly. Few tips off Cazorla should do.

If Wenger doesn't give Walcott what he's after then he's a right fool. If not I'd quite like City to make a move at this rate.

Not sure why you have to play 1 up top either. Giroud and Walcott together with Santi behind would be ace with Pod putting pressure on them to perform.

I'd guess you'd probably have to ship off Balotelli or Dzeko if you even wanted to think about bringing Walcott in.

I have wondered at times whether we should play two up top at home but it really wouldn't work in my opinion. The midfield and defence would suffer immensely if we played 442 or diamond system and it would mean that wed have more players out of position or who wouldn't fit certain roles within a system.

If Wenger doesn't give Walcott what he's after then he's a right fool. If not I'd quite like City to make a move at this rate.

Not sure why you have to play 1 up top either. Giroud and Walcott together with Santi behind would be ace with Pod putting pressure on them to perform.

I think Pod and theo would be a better option

Giroud could be a big player for you guys in the second half of the season. I would.be happy to see Walcott here. His finishing has improved considerably. If Arsenal lose Theo,I think they should move for Isco. Giroud was unlucky hitting the bar.

I predicted before game there will be goals in this one but not 10!:eek:

Why does always an Arsenal player picks the form of his life before leaving? But for now i am too happy to worry about it.:)

Don't know when was the last time this season when i enjoyed a game so much.

I'd guess you'd probably have to ship off Balotelli or Dzeko if you even wanted to think about bringing Walcott in.

I have wondered at times whether we should play two up top at home but it really wouldn't work in my opinion. The midfield and defence would suffer immensely if we played 442 or diamond system and it would mean that wed have more players out of position or who wouldn't fit certain roles within a system.

I've had enough of Balotelli.

It would allow you to move another man into the middle. Say your typical midfield 3 is Arteta, Wilshere and Santi. Stick Ox in another advanced role if you're playing weaker opposition and someone like Diaby if you need a bit more grit.

I've had enough of Balotelli.

It would allow you to move another man into the middle. Say your typical midfield 3 is Arteta' date=' Wilshere and Santi. Stick Ox in another advanced role if you're playing weaker opposition and someone like Diaby if you need a bit more grit.[/quote']

Same.here on Mario. He is finished in my eyes

Arsenal can't allow Walcott to leave. The only player that could be available are Adrian or Isco. I feel Isco will be our only signing this January. Arsene must do everything possible to keep him IMO.

Same.here on Mario. He is finished in my eyes

Arsenal can't allow Walcott to leave. The only player that could be available are Adrian or Isco. I feel Isco will be our only signing this January. Arsene must do everything possible to keep him IMO.

I think it would be a blessing in disguise' date=' as he will then play Pod as the striker and realize how much better he is at scoring

:eek::P[/color']

I think it would be a blessing in disguise' date=' as he will then play Pod as the striker and realize how much better he is at scoring

:eek::P[/color']

I think Arsenal are best with Giroud as the spearhead and Pod and Theo on the wings. I don't know how good Lukas would do as a CF for Arsenal as opposed to left winger

I think Arsenal are best with Giroud as the spearhead and Pod and Theo on the wings. I don't know how good Lukas would do as a CF for Arsenal as opposed to left winger

Well he is actually a CF that they have trained to play as a wing' date=' so wing isnt his foremost position[/color']

Not a lot of clubs willing to take on Mario on those wages :eek:

I think we all agree Balotelli's time at City is most likely over. That being said I still believe that Mario can still suceed but He has to mature. I thought the Euros would quicken his maturation. As for Walcott, City can look elsewhere B)

Personally, I think Im finally willing to play Walcott up front. I agree with what ABC said about Ox, Podo, and Theo being quite a dangerous three that we should keep. Walcott has certainly changed my opinion on him, I used to get really really aggravated with him.

How do you guys think a 3-5-2 would do for us? I'd like to see us try it maybe once but It wont happen :P

I think Pod and theo would be a better option

Definitely Walcott and Giroud. Don't you see how well they play together? They are amazing each time they are fielded together. Anyway, I think 4-3-3 would be the best, with Pod-Giroud-Walcott all upfront. As a wing forward Walcott has done just what all Arsenal wingers should have done all the season: run into the box. Interestingly, he tends to drift to the right anyway, because even before Wenger introduced Giroud, Walcott received almost all the passes he got on the right side of the field - despite scoring the goals when receiving it on the left side.

Back to the match, it was a very surprising one. One would have expected Arsenal to keep the ball, play short passing, and Newcastle to counter and play a lot of through balls. Instead, Newcastle played a far superior number of passes and preferred short passing, while Arsenal actually played counter attack, with as many as 11 through balls tried and the CF playing very high up, unlike usually this season. One thing towards the more expected was that Newcatle tried as many as 77 long balls against Arsenal's 39, and indeed almost all aerial duels took place in Arsenal's end.

I definitely expected Newcastle to give the ball away, sit deep and counter, and thus didn't imagine Walcott would be at his strongest against Newcastle. But clearly, giving the ball to Newcastle (55,7% of the possession, compared to their average 48%, against Arsenal that normally has as much as 59% of possession) was what allowed Wenger to make use of Walcott's pace and high position on field.

Interesting stat is that though Newcastle made 519 (459 successful) passes as opposed to Arsenal's 411 (339), 144 (99) of Arsenal's passes was to attacking third, while Newcastle's number was only 99 (68). That means that despite passing much less, Arsenal made as many successful passes to the attacking third as Newcastle even tried.

Another note of interest: Giroud was in the receiving end of 6 passes during his 21 minutes of play, two of them from Walcott, two from Szcescny. Szceszny found Giroud twice with two long balls to his direction, while before that having tried 5 times with only 2 of them successful. Something that clearly changes in Arsenal's game when Giroud's upfront.

Walcott passing is more to my point above that they should play together: Giroud's header was only one of Walcott's 5 crosses that connected with an Arsenal player, while the other one was the only pass from Walcott from which a shot was produced. Walcott created no chances for others before Giroud entered the field, in fact all the passes that he gave to the border of the box took place after Giroud entered the field. He did make 3 unsuccessful crosses to the box before that though. It is not necessarily his fault that it was so. It is just that he lacked a player to whom play the ball into the box. A bit same thing that Giroud lack when Walcott's not there.

Before Giroud's entrance, Walcott hardly found a player with his passes (crosses and passes combined, 5 of 12 successful, no important successful passes whatsoever, after Giroud's entrance, 7 of 9 successful, two assists, 5 uccessful passes into the box or to its borders). Not only that, he also got 2 more shots inside the box now, and 1 more goal, which is not bad considering it was only 21 minutes or so, compared to the 76 or so minutes he had played before that. And for Giroud's part: aside from the two long openings from Szcszesny that he gathered, all 4 balls that he received were inside Newcastle's box or right at the border of it, and he produced a shot from three of them. Of all Arsenal's passes that found a player inside the box or right at its border, only 6 produced a shot. 3 of these were by Giroud. He only entered the game at 74 minutes. Quite a difference inside the box.

So, Giroud and Walcott, once again, were very efficient together. Pod and Ox hardly ever combine with either of them. This time, Ox in particular managed to have combined 3 passes together with Walcott during the 76 minutes he played. And two of them were Walcott passing to him. He generally didn't for one single time get the ball to own player anywhere near the box. Podolski was much more useful this time, although inaccurate, he at least got the ball into dangerous positions quite a few times. Still, Pod found Walcott only 4 times during their 84 minutes, two of them about in the centre circle, and although one of them was an assist with a through ball from own half, all in all, that is not amazing service from a winger.

I think Balotelli is done in the EPL, he has had time to mature but he hasnt, so in my opinion he is done. At a team like man city, who are battling now for the epl and will do every year, you cant have such an attitude on and off the pitch, i wouldnt even have him at arsenal.

Also we shouldnt play 3-5-2. With the way we have been playing in the last four games, it is quite clear that we have found the winning formula.

Are most Arsenal fans still want Wenger out after these good run?

I doubt it, he is the best manager in the world again now.

Shame it took him so damn long to play Walcott down the middle, been saying he should for at least 2 years now. Guess its your gain now.

I doubt it' date=' he is the best manager in the world again now.

Shame it took him so damn long to play Walcott down the middle, been saying he should for at least 2 years now. Guess its your gain now.[/quote']

I always thought that too. If he could improve his finishing, he'd be a beast as a CF. BTW, I'm a City fan.