Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Just to bring a sense of realism to proceedings and try to elevate the level of debating above the general cheap shots fired in here...

A Big club can be defined in many different ways, success, fan base, crowds, history, world-wide appeal.....there is no set formula.

Aston Villa whilst I dont think they have ever really been a "big-club" are a well respected club with a more than decent enough history to certainly qualify as being a biggish club but they certainly cant compare to the levels of a United, Liverpool, Arsenal.

On the field the level and order would be different and time will change in what are regarded as the big clubs, but IMO the three biggest clubs in England are and always will be United, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Leeds, Forest were big clubs but can hardly be regarded in that form anymore.

Give it another ten years or so more success, more world-wide fan base etc and Chelsea and City will be close to the "elite" level.

It is all open to interpretation about what qualifies you so in reality there are no right/wrong answers when debating this issue.

• Replies 59k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• infernito

• JCAFC

• 123_ABC

• Lordy -RBA-

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Arsenal Thread A team that managed to overhaul a 13 point gap from their neighbours and finish above them last season, after the worst start in the clubs history, decide to improve thei

Re: Arsenal Gossip I can fully understand where Wenger is coming from and I appreciate it's not an ideal time to give a composed and informed interview so soon after that incident. While there is mer

Re: Official Arsenal Thread Very unimpressive list of England internationals, which may explain why the NT itself has been rather unimpressive for the last few decades. Villa is a EPL club from th

Just to bring a sense of realism to proceedings and try to elevate the level of debating above the general cheap shots fired in here...

A Big club can be defined in many different ways' date=' success, fan base, crowds, history, world-wide appeal.....there is no set formula.

Aston Villa whilst I dont think they have ever really been a "big-club" are a well respected club with a more than decent enough history to certainly qualify as being a biggish club but they certainly cant compare to the levels of a United, Liverpool, Arsenal.

On the field the level and order would be different and time will change in what are regarded as the big clubs, but IMO the three biggest clubs in England are and always will be United, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Leeds, Forest were big clubs but can hardly be regarded in that form anymore.

Give it another ten years or so more success, more world-wide fan base etc and Chelsea and City will be close to the "elite" level.

It is all open to interpretation about what qualifies you so in reality there are no right/wrong answers when debating this issue.[/quote']

Chelsea are ahead of City to be fair in terms of success in the last ten years

Rumor has it that Higuain's transfer to Arsenal is all set to go, contingent on CL qualification. Reported fee is 19mil.

Also, apparently Robben is available for around 12mil. His wages don't look that astronomical, so Arsenal could probably afford him. He's 29, but still world class in my eyes. Should Wenger swoop in?

Rumor has it that Higuain's transfer to Arsenal is all set to go' date=' contingent on CL qualification. Reported fee is 19mil.

Also, apparently Robben is available for around 12mil. His wages don't look that astronomical, so Arsenal could probably afford him. He's 29, but still world class in my eyes. Should Wenger swoop in?[/quote']

Not for me, there are other older players I rather sign like villa for example. Robben is just far to self centred and egotistical, I dunno if I would wanna see him in an arsenal jersey. Mind you there is no doubting his quality and someone who can cross would be lovely. But no, I'd rather not have him.

I really want Ashley Williams for some reason. I can only imagine what a good partnership him and Koscielny would make. 10 million seems reasonable enough. Higuain would be a quality signing but I'm not that keen on it, I'd rather have Jovetic. Other players we've been linked to by Sky Sports : Son , Dragovic and Cesar ( which I would gladly welcome to the Emirates )

Rumor has it that Higuain's transfer to Arsenal is all set to go' date=' contingent on CL qualification. Reported fee is 19mil.

Also, apparently Robben is available for around 12mil. His wages don't look that astronomical, so Arsenal could probably afford him. He's 29, but still world class in my eyes. Should Wenger swoop in?[/quote']

I reckon that both of these could really be possible, seen the diminished status of each player in his respective squad. On the other hand, they might content to stay in their current role in winning top clubs, that depends much on the atmosphere at the club.

Robben certainly has seemed revived this year and would be very useful for Arsenal. I can imagine he would combine well with Giroud who could serve him a lot of chances for those greedy inside runs to score goals. Precisely what Giroud needs his wide players to do.

Higuain is "still" (come on, the guy is just 25-year-old) a top forward and that price is a bargain. Because of his versatility, you wouldn't struggle fitting him into your XI. He is not actually the straight forward poacher or even a central striker, and may actually suffer a bit in Real's current system, but more of a wide forward, or deep forward, who thrives with the right attacking company. He also has good experience with Robben exactly, I remember them combining very well in Real. Out of mentioned strikers, such as Huntelaar, Jovetic and Higuain, bit surprisingly Higuain is the only one with a strong conversion rate with 27.5% in La Liga, although only 10% in CL, which is also about the conversion rate of both Jovetic and Giroud in domestic leagues, while Hunty has converted sligthly bette 13% of his shots.

With those additions and only selling players you are not currently heavily relying on, i.e. not selling Giroud, Pod or Wally, Wenger could actually have an excellent variety choices about how to build his attack. You could have your regular possession play with high efficiency with Higuain and Robben on sides of Giroud who would be the focal point for lower midfielders and full backs and link-up to his inside forwards. Or you could have a counter attack format with Pod-Wally-Robben. Or maybe that with Higuain in the middle. Or you could perhaps play with 2 upfront, probably best duo being Giroud-Higuain. Higuain can be used in any formation and any attacking position imaginable, which multiplies coach's options.

I really want Ashley Williams for some reason. I can only imagine what a good partnership him and Koscielny would make. 10 million seems reasonable enough. Higuain would be a quality signing but I'm not that keen on it' date=' I'd rather have Jovetic. Other players we've been linked to by Sky Sports : Son , Dragovic and Cesar ( which I would gladly welcome to the Emirates )[/quote']

Why to break up the perfectly functioning partnership that he has with Mertesacker? Williams is totally different type of defender and it might not work at all. While it is often reasonable to try and spice up even a well working attack by introducing some new elements, the old wisdom "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it" certainly applies to defence. Don't mess up with a working defence, especially do not try to change the working parts of it. You have to work something out with your flanks and set pieces defending, but preferably with these CB's without touching the actual central defence.

How are you guys feeling the about Rooney being linked with Arsenal? Cant see it happening but it would be an incredible signing for you.

Never gonna happen. He has offers from bigger clubs, with more money and more chances of trophies.

I dont see United selling to a huge rival, they wont make the mistake we did with RvP lol

How are you guys feeling the about Rooney being linked with Arsenal? Cant see it happening but it would be an incredible signing for you.

Would love it to happen' date=' who would turn down the chance of a proven top class player?

[b']But:[/b]

- Why would United sell to a rival within the BPL?

- Why would Rooney take a pay cut? (There's no chance we would pay his salary)

- Why would Rooney want to join us when he could easily go to a club capable of winning trophies?

It's all newspaper talk, if we were 'in for him' we wouldn't have a cat in hells chance anyway.

Would love it to happen' date=' who would turn down the chance of a proven top class player?

- Why would Rooney want to join us when he could easily go to a club capable of winning trophies?

It's all newspaper talk, if we were 'in for him' we wouldn't have a cat in hells chance anyway.

1. They sold us Silvestre....

2. To help ensure he plays where he wants to play; up top.

3. With him up front rather then Giroud, who i still like, we would win trophies. Cazorla behind Rooney would be lethal. I geniunely think we're in with a shout next year with the right signings, whether that includes Shrek or not.

1. They sold us Silvestre....

2. To help ensure he plays where he wants to play; up top.

3. With him up front rather then Giroud' date=' who i still like, we would win trophies. Cazorla behind Rooney would be lethal. I geniunely think we're in with a shout next year with the right signings, whether that includes Shrek or not.[/quote']

Come on lads you are actually think we have a chance of signing rooney. it will never happen in millions years never and never.

my guess he just want more money to stay United. I personally think with highuan leaving Real Madrid. he may go there.

If we don't sign top players we have no chance of winning anything AGAIN! that's the fact. if look at chelsea and United squad or even City much better depth than us and have more players that can chance the game than us.

Jovetic for me is good but no worth 25 millions. players like Henrikh Mkhitaryan maybe for what I have seen

Come on lads you are actually think we have a chance of signing rooney. it will never happen in millions years never and never.

my guess he just want more money to stay United. I personally think with highuan leaving Real Madrid. he may go there.

If we don't sign top players we have no chance of winning anything AGAIN! that's the fact. if look at chelsea and United squad or even City much better depth than us and have more players that can chance the game than us.

Jovetic for me is good but no worth 25 millions. players like Henrikh Mkhitaryan maybe for what I have seen

Higuain rumor, not sure if it's true but it's from one reliable source. Perhaps it depends on whether we are going to qualify CL. As for Jovetic, not sure if you have really seen him but if you seen him based on youtube then I will say the review for him is very unfair. He is actually a very good player. Perhaps 25mil is a bit overpriced but 20mil will be a very fair value for him.

Higuain rumor' date=' not sure if it's true but it's from one reliable source. Perhaps it depends on whether we are going to qualify CL. As for Jovetic, not sure if you have really seen him but if you seen him based on youtube then I will say the review for him is very unfair. He is actually a very good player. Perhaps 25mil is a bit overpriced but 20mil will be a very fair value for him.[/quote']

You maybe right because I only saw him play twice this season vs Roma and Milan and couple Youtube videos so maybe thats why I think 25 million it just too much

Doubt Man U will sell to a "competitor"

Jovetic is over valued at 25 mill and there are players with better value out there

The mirror is saying Jack Wilshere needs new ankle operation and may not play again until next season..

Doubt Man U will sell to a "competitor"

Jovetic is over valued at 25 mill and there are players with better value out there

The mirror is saying Jack Wilshere needs new ankle operation and may not play again until next season..

To be accurate' date=' Wenger has told that Wilshere will be operated [b']after the end of the current season[/b], and after that will not play before the next season starts, but should be fit by then. So, he'll miss a whole bunch of friendly matches.

Amen to all of that, totally right. He aint worth the enormous financial package that his fee/wages command