Sign in to follow this  
joshylong

Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

i think Berba would be a good signing yes he looks lazy but thats his game he's slow but can take it around players fairly easy if wenger signs him and its a big if i think it would be more for his experience playing for trophy winnings teams to help his "Kids" see out the season

What? Kanu was 23 when you signed him or am I missing something. He's only 37 now.

It's a joke mate. Ever heard of how African footabllers come from over seas and lie about their age? The man had 0 pace and looked about 40yrs old on the pitch 90th minute.

i think Berba would be a good signing yes he looks lazy but thats his game he's slow but can take it around players fairly easy if wenger signs him and its a big if i think it would be more for his experience playing for trophy winnings teams to help his "Kids" see out the season

Wake up my friend.

Walcott and Gibbs are 24.

There's no kids in the Arsenal team anymore.

Berbatov would make a quality addition to an already good squad.

The more I think about it the more I think it's perfect.

He's the extra name on the teamsheet that makes people take us seriously.

This looks like a title winning team on paper.

Berbatov

Cazorla Ozil Walcott

Wilshere Flamini

Gibbs Koscielny Mertesacker Sagna

Szczesny

;2816747']form? 3 in 3..

it annoys me when people call his style of play 'lazy' & 'uninterested'...it looks languid but some of the technical stuff he does is class.

no he isnt a worker but with the Arsenal side you have to put those players around him.

6 and a half seasons in the EPL' date=' 94 goals. thats one heck of a return for a 'lazy' player[/quote']

Yeh, 3 in 3, but even Chamakh can score penalties... Dimitar has only scored 4 in 15 and on the decline. Also you said it, he isnt a worker, he doesnt track back, so no point getting annoyed.

Yeh' date=' 3 in 3, but even Chamakh can score penalties... Dimitar has only scored 4 in 15 and on the decline. Also you said it, he isnt a worker, he doesnt track back, so no point getting annoyed.[/quote']

To be fair he plays for Fulham.

If he had the chances Giroud was missing do you think he'd still have 4 in 15?

Berbatov

Cazorla Ozil Walcott

Wilshere Flamini

Szczesny

No offense but if you actually think an aging and declining Berbatov is gonna be the last piece of the puzzle for that team up there to win the EPL; then the EPL is in dire shape.

I don't think it's that great an idea to get Berbatov. He doesn't track back and neither does Özil so that's not a very good start every game.

However, he is better than Bendtner (some of us are probably better than Bendtner tbf) so I can kinda understand both sides.

Wake up my friend.

Walcott and Gibbs are 24.

There's no kids in the Arsenal team anymore.

Berbatov would make a quality addition to an already good squad.

Berbatov

Cazorla Ozil Walcott

Wilshere Flamini

Szczesny

i used the term Kids loosely as why i used the "" because they do still get called kids even with there ages. it does look like a trophy winning team and with Berba his experience in seeing seasons out should keep you in the top 2 come season end

Yeh' date=' 3 in 3, but even Chamakh can score penalties... Dimitar has only scored 4 in 15 and on the decline. Also you said it, he isnt a worker, he doesnt track back, so no point getting annoyed.[/quote']

Who on Earth judges their striker on their ability to track back?! :P

Berbatov looks lazy but watch him closely and when his side are in possession, he's almost always in a position where he can receive a pass. That's no accident - he's an incredibly intelligent player. Sure he's not going to run 60 yards to retrieve a ball but neither do the vast majority of strikers.

Who on Earth judges their striker on their ability to track back?! :P

Berbatov looks lazy but watch him closely and when his side are in possession' date=' he's almost always in a position where he can receive a pass. That's no accident - he's an incredibly intelligent player. Sure he's not going to run 60 yards to retrieve a ball but neither do the vast majority of strikers.[/quote']

These days defense starts with the strikers. An absolute paramount piece of our season last year was Mandzukic running at Centrebacks and def mids.

So while it ain't a number one priority for a striker, early pressing has become incredibly important in football in the last couple years and if your two attacking central players don't work defensively, you gonna get raped against the best of the best.

In that team you have four weak links to rely on for 38 games;

Szczesny

Gibbs

Sagna

Berbatov

Berbatov would be a good option to sign in January as a back up option to Giroud' date=' not as a week in week out top level striker.

Not anymore[/quote']

I wouldn't call them weak links. Until recently I'd have had Szczesny down as the best keeper in the league this season. Gibbs and Sagna haven't done anything majorly wrong this season and a mistake by Berbatov shouldn't harm too much as he plays miles away from the danger zones.

They are, however, players with a mistake in them, like Koscielny and Wilshere (cue fan boys crying).

I wouldn't call them weak links. Until recently I'd have had Szczesny down as the best keeper in the league this season. Gibbs and Sagna haven't done anything majorly wrong this season and a mistake by Berbatov shouldn't harm too much as he plays miles away from the danger zones.

They are' date=' however, players with a mistake in them, like Koscielny and Wilshere (cue fan boys crying).[/quote']

I'd argue that in a wannabe title challenging team, having three or four players with a mistake in them is the difference between winning it and not.

These days defense starts with the strikers. An absolute paramount piece of our season last year was Mandzukic running at Centrebacks and def mids.

So while it ain't a number one priority for a striker' date=' early pressing has become incredibly important in football in the last couple years and if your two attacking central players don't work defensively, you gonna get raped against the best of the best.[/quote']

It can do but it certainly doesn't have to. That is one way of playing and it can be very effective (players like Aguero, Tevez, Suarez and Rooney have all excelled in England). However, you certainly don't have to play like that to be among the best. You don't often see the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Van Persie, etc. chasing down lost causes and they are all very successful players, both domestically and on the continent.

I'd argue that in a wannabe title challenging team' date=' having three or four players with a mistake in them is the difference between winning it and not.[/quote']

This may well come back and bite me but, I don't think Arsenal are a title challenging team.

Obviously there are areas to improve (as there are in every side), but in this instance I think that allowing players Szczesny and Gibbs to get experience and learn not to make those mistakes would be much more financially beneficial than signing top class players and leaving them as very able deputies.

It can do but it certainly doesn't have to. That is one way of playing and it can be very effective (players like Aguero' date=' Tevez, Suarez and Rooney have all excelled in England). However, you certainly don't have to play like that to be among the best. You don't often see the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Van Persie, etc. chasing down lost causes and they are all very successful players, both domestically and on the continent.[/quote']

That has been the most successful way of playing in recent years. Barcelona presses high and everybody works hard, we do the same to an even bigger extent as Mandzukic has insane work rate, do you think Chelsea would have won defensive battles and the CL with Berbatov instead of Drogba?

That has been the most successful way of playing in recent years. Barcelona presses high and everybody works hard' date=' we do the same to an even bigger extent as Mandzukic has insane work rate, do you think Chelsea would have won defensive battles and the CL with Berbatov instead of Drogba?[/quote']

Nobody's suggesting that adding Berbatov is what Arsenal need to compete for the CL.

They are there or thereabouts in the title race but need to add more quality in their squad to stay there. A key position for them to look at doing that is CF - Giroud is dead on his feet through exhaustion after a terrific start to the season and Bendtner is pants. Signing a guy like Berbatov would be a reasonably cheap way of getting a guy in who knows the league, can score goals and would fit into the Arsenal system. Those few goals may make the difference between 5th and 4th, or 4th and 3rd, or 2nd and 1st...

This may well come back and bite me but' date=' I don't think Arsenal are a title challenging team.

Obviously there are areas to improve (as there are in every side), but in this instance I think that allowing players Szczesny and Gibbs to get experience and learn not to make those mistakes would be much more financially beneficial than signing top class players and leaving them as very able deputies.[/quote']

I agree yes in the future this might benefit. But at present, it does mean IMO that Arsenal are not a title challenging team.

This is why I've been saying either City or Chelsea will win the league. If you compare the starting XI's of the top, say six teams, Chelsea and City's teams don't look like they have many mistakes in them. Whereas with Arsenal I'm looking at a couple of players that are more or less guaranteed to drop a couple of clangers along the course of a season. The margins are so fine

I dont think the opinion that we have a few players who might make mistakes is a good enough reason to not call us title challengers. Sagna isnt in that category, Im surprised by this. I can agree with our keeper and LB being there though.

I agree yes in the future this might benefit. But at present' date=' it does mean IMO that Arsenal are not a title challenging team.

This is why I've been saying either City or Chelsea will win the league. If you compare the starting XI's of the top, say six teams, Chelsea and [b']City's teams don't look like they have many mistakes in them[/b]. Whereas with Arsenal I'm looking at a couple of players that are more or less guaranteed to drop a couple of clangers along the course of a season. The margins are so fine

Joe Hart can drop some Horrendous clangers and most probably drop quite a few before season end

all teams can drop clangers its in the nature of the game but to say Arsenal are not a title challenging team IMO is wrong they are top of the league at halfway point and looks pretty solid defensively and have goals in most positions so IMO they are challenging any team who's top at halfway is challenging

Joe Hart can drop some Horrendous clangers and most probably drop quite a few before season end

all teams can drop clangers its in the nature of the game but to say Arsenal are not a title challenging team IMO is wrong they are top of the league at halfway point and looks pretty solid defensively and have goals in most positions so IMO they are challenging any team who's top at halfway is challenging

City are a difficult kettle of fish. We make several mistakes and then score 6 to rectify them :D It's silly but fun.

I might be proved wrong but I'd say if you look through the past winners of the last few Premier Leagues, there are very few accident prone players in their squads.

United have some average players that have won the league I know but they SAF who was probably worth 10-15 points a season