Sign in to follow this  
joshylong

Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

I don't see you as title challengers. I think City and/or Chelsea will finish with considerably more points than you.

The fact that you're top (by a single point) is irrelevant to this opinion of mine. If I were a City or Chelsea fan' date=' I wouldn't be worried about you challenging for the title.

Both of those teams are far better equipped than you are at present[/quote']

How can it be possible to be top of the league but not current title challengers? It can't that simple. No grey area.

The question for a FOURTH time was are we title challengers.

NOT can we win the league.

You wonder why I reply read what I have said? This is why because some people chose not to accept the truth.

;2817120']Gedion Zelelam to be in the squad for Saturday evening' date=' surprising selection, but looks like going to sign that contract everyone wants him to, not even 17 yet!

[/quote']

Was on bench vs Spurs and Fulham earlier in the season too

4OlHEyIcpxI

Didn't know QE was a Gunner :D

She's not. She's actually a Hammer. Eugh..

4OlHEyIcpxI

Didn't know QE was a Gunner :D

Is Mila Kunis actually a Watford fan' date=' or did that just come from the interview below? (Which, by the way, if you haven't seen it, is the greatest interview of all time) :D

[center']

z4Ezruu1oeQ

[/center]

Rugger,

You are title challengers when you are within grasp of first place. Liverpool are still contenders until they fall too far behind, regardless of where we might or might not drop points, Arsenal are currently contenders, that doesn't mean we will win it. You can believe what you like about any teams potential to win the league, but as it stands right now you can't rule teams out because of your opinion.

City, have the better squad and should win the league, but right now they are one point behind, played an extra home game and still have to play away to 7 of the current top 8 as someone has already said. We all know City's away from isn't the best. They can easily drop points as like others.

Any opinion against Arsenal is wrong according to you. There's no point in continuing this conversation

Why turn it on me? I made a very simple and easy point. Even Stuart corrected his wording after he realised that he meant at the end of the season.

It ain't hard to accept, so I don't get why you turn it on me.

Jheez I've been made to eat a few of my words before, doesn't hurt to be wrong once in a while.

As the one who made the initial comment' date=' I meant that I doubted Arsenal would be challenging for the title at the end of the season. I predict that you'll drop points that City and especially Chelsea won't.[/quote']

At the moment its been the other way round though, so I dont really get your post.

City and Chelsea have dropped lots of points to teams they should be beating easily, whilst we havent dropped points against one of the bottom 12 teams apart from our first game of the season.

If we continue to win the games we should be winning, and get pick up a few points against the top 8 then we should be fine.

At the moment its been the other way round though' date=' so I dont really get your post.

City and Chelsea have dropped lots of points to teams they should be beating easily, whilst we havent dropped points against one of the bottom 12 teams apart from our first game of the season.

If we continue to win the games we should be winning, and get pick up a few points against the top 8 then we should be fine.[/quote']

Form doesn't work by way of replicating the first half of the season in the second. City are unbeaten in 12 (including wins over very strong opposition), Chelsea have dropped points in just 4 league games since the start of October whilst Arsenal have started to lose or draw much more frequently than at the start of the season, have a weaker squad and more injury/fitness worries.

If you buy then I'd probably change my mind though. You need at least another striker.

Personally I don't think we have the injuries we say we have. I think it's a way of not getting in trouble from the FA to play a weaker team against Cardiff and Spurs in the FA Cup.

They may have fatigue but I highly doubt they are properly injured. Wouldn't surprise me if we was doing a tactic like this as a few years back United did the same but owned up to playing a weaker team and got fined by the FA.

People can say Arsenal have a weak squad, it hasnt stopped us still being 1st ahead of the other superior ones. Walcott and Podolski out for a while, now Ramsey and Ozil and the players seem to be coping fine, especially in away games. Can we keep it up? There is nothing to suggest that Arsenal cant keep this up. We've had our fair share of injuries already.

People still have the previous seasons in their head when thinking of us but sooner or later, teams find success. So far so good.

Why turn it on me? I made a very simple and easy point. Even Stuart corrected his wording after he realised that he meant at the end of the season.

It ain't hard to accept' date=' so I don't get why you turn it on me.

Jheez I've been made to eat a few of my words before, doesn't hurt to be wrong once in a while.[/quote']

For once I agree with you, Arsenal have to be taken seriously, a few games in and fair enough but being top at halfway shows it aint a flash in the pan or anything. Arsenal are there because they deserve t be so far, they have been very consistent in beating the sides they should beat and that has been what has set them apart from the others, they don't drop points you don't expect them to.

However......

They have been pretty poor against the bigger sides and at some point this season they need to prove it against the top sides, if you are to win the title you will need t get sme results against the bigger sides.

As me and Stu were discussing the other day Chelsea IMO have the edge with regards to fixtures as they only have two difficult away days at City and Liverpool. City have to g to seven of the top eight I think and Arsenal have to play quite a lot of the top sides away.

Personally I don't think we have the injuries we say we have. I think it's a way of not getting in trouble from the FA to play a weaker team against Cardiff and Spurs in the FA Cup.

They may have fatigue but I highly doubt they are properly injured. Wouldn't surprise me if we was doing a tactic like this as a few years back United did the same but owned up to playing a weaker team and got fined by the FA.

I don't wanna start on another long debate but you need to treat the FA Cup with respect it is probably your most realistic chance of. Trophy and you are playing Spurs you can't and won't field a duff side. All teams should take it seriously.

Ray, Im happy at least you say we should be taken seriously. And I agree about beating the top teams, I thought we'd see the teams below continue to slip but its becoming too close now and we need to beat some top teams. Away performances will be crucial and despite Chelsea only facing those two you mentioned, I think a couple more fixtures are there that I consider challenges for them.

Form doesn't work by way of replicating the first half of the season in the second. City are unbeaten in 12 (including wins over very strong opposition)' date=' Chelsea have dropped points in just 4 league games since the start of October whilst Arsenal have started to lose or draw much more frequently than at the start of the season, have a weaker squad and more injury/fitness worries.

If you buy then I'd probably change my mind though. You need at least another striker.[/quote']

Our season blip, four winless streak but have bounced back since then with a very positive 1-0 win at Toon and a dogged performance against Cardiff.

Whatever happens, happens.

Fabianski

Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Monreal

Flamini - Arteta

Gnabry - Cazorla - Rosicky

Walcott

;2817677']Our season blip' date=' four winless streak but have bounced back since then with a very positive 1-0 win at Toon and a dogged performance against Cardiff.

[/quote']

Bounced back and only conceded 1 in the last 4 games.

Ray' date=' Im happy at least you say we should be taken seriously. And I agree about beating the top teams, I thought we'd see the teams below continue to slip but its becoming too close now and we need to beat some top teams. Away performances will be crucial and despite Chelsea only facing those two you mentioned, I think a couple more fixtures are there that I consider challenges for them.[/quote']

It is for for your own self belief, you don't even need to necessarily win them but not losing them will be key especially City and Chelsea who appear to have the ways and means to nullify and then beat you.

Everton away will be very tough, same as with Tottenham also have to go to my side away although you have a very good recent record at Anfield although I do believe we are a better team now then you have faced there at any time in the last five years.

If you could pick up even seven-eight points from those games. Tink it would be a very decent return and could just could be enough providing you continue to beat the lesser lights with the ease you have been.

You have surpassed my expectations (as with most people including a lot of ArsenL fans themselves I dare say so far) and fair play at this stage you are top because you deserve to be, but the season is over 38 games so we will all just have to wait and see if you can get the key results when it really counts.

People can say Arsenal have a weak squad' date=' it hasnt stopped us still being 1st ahead of the other superior ones. Walcott and Podolski out for a while, now Ramsey and Ozil and the players seem to be coping fine, especially in away games. Can we keep it up? There is nothing to suggest that Arsenal cant keep this up. We've had our fair share of injuries already.

People still have the previous seasons in their head when thinking of us but sooner or later, teams find success. So far so good.[/quote']

Arsenal (and Liverpool) have enjoyed consistency from last season with no huge overhauls in personnel or management. It's no surprise that they've both enjoyed good starts. City, United, Chelsea and Spurs have all got different managers and most have made a lot of summer signings. You'd imagine that they'd strengthen as the season goes on, as they'll gel more and get used to playing together. Except United - they're just rubbish :)

Arsenal (and Liverpool) have enjoyed consistency from last season with no huge overhauls in personnel or management. It's no surprise that they've both enjoyed good starts. City' date=' United, Chelsea and Spurs have all got different managers and most have made a lot of summer signings. You'd imagine that they'd strengthen as the season goes on, as they'll gel more and get used to playing together. Except United - they're just rubbish :)[/quote']

I think these are fair points, and do make a difference. We are starting to see Man City and Chelsea get stronger and Man Utd have crumbled after the exit of a great manager. I wonder if any new managers have won the league in their first season though.

Arsenal (and Liverpool) have enjoyed consistency from last season with no huge overhauls in personnel or management. It's no surprise that they've both enjoyed good starts. City' date=' United, [b']Chelsea [/b]and Spurs have all got different managers and most have made a lot of summer signings. You'd imagine that they'd strengthen as the season goes on, as they'll gel more and get used to playing together. Except United - they're just rubbish :)

Given the fact the teams in bold have changed every summer for god knows how long, your argument for them is henceforth nul and void, if you ask me.

These teams should have gelled months ago.

As i said before' date=' the title lies with us due to our centre backs. They stay fit, we win it. Kompany, Nastistic, Demichelis, Cahil, Terry and Luiz are all dreadful.[/quote']

Terrys actually been really good this season, and Kompany is an amazing player. There rest arent great but them two are far from dreadful

Not going to lie I don't want to lose to Spurs but I also don't want to waste energy on the FA Cup. It has become such a meaningless comp now if your competing for the league or CL.

Even Lambert said the other day that all the manager in the league would rather not take part in the FA Cup. It has lost its spark due to the low rewards and amount of games.

I would rather we beat Spurs but if we didn't I wouldn't be as fussed as if we had lost in the league.

Just my view and I know some people don't agree but that's my stance.

It's a difficult stance when we haven't won a trophy in such a long period. I would rather focus on the league and CL, even if we are not the favorities and also up against Barca. I would like to be in it, but I also wouldn't be fussed. We already have a lot of injuries and granted you can field fringe players and youth, but drawing a premiership team this early, it won't be a weak team. Likely get difficult games all the way to the final and that amount of fixures will undo us.

Arsenal don't have the squad to focus on several competitions. For the first time in years you have a realistic chance at a league title so FA Cup shouldn't be a priority. And no, you shouldn't focus on CL either as the chances are incredibly slim and your March fixtures are tough enough without an extra CL quarter final.

You might not win anything but I'd rather go big than play it safe and have just as much chance of failing on all levels.

You are also playing us, not Barca :confused: