Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Went down with a fight. No harm in that. Pleased with what I saw in general, shame the first leg killed us. Best team won but glad we got a draw in Munich. I know it doesn't count for anything but the players didn't deserve to lose that match. Back to the BPL now with Spurs :)

Na I think it was a pen tbh a bit clumsy' date=' Robben did dive a couple of times tonight though.

Vermaelen's performance was surprising expected it to be complete nightmare.[/quote']

You can see on the replay that there is a good delay in Kos touching Robben on the ankle to him dropping down. He could easily of stayed on his feet and i don't think the touch by Kos was enough to bring him down.

Would Robben fall anywhere else on the pitch, ref would give a free kick, no one would ever cry about it. As soon as it's in the box! Diver! Drops like a leaf! Etc.

Most penalties nowadays have to be justified by a player having to be physically knocked down to the ground it seems

They created tiddly squat which was the first part of the game. We had to bed into the game' date=' which we did. Just didn't have enough up front.[/quote']

I am afraid that is the very epitome of bias analysis.....

They were clearly the better side first half, 2nd half after your goal was a very even affair.

Not that it really matters.

Would Robben fall anywhere else on the pitch' date=' ref would give a free kick, no one would ever cry about it. As soon as it's in the box! Diver! Drops like a leaf! Etc.

Most penalties nowadays have to be justified by a player having to be physically knocked down to the ground it seems[/quote']

I don't think that's correct at all, if the free kick is in a perfect spot for a good opportunity at goal or creates a good goal scoring opportunity then people are going to be just as annoyed.

The fact is that he was hardly touched. If he had been running at full speed in to the box then i could understand him going over by such little contact, but he wasn't. The contact on his ankle was not enough to make him drop down like that.

I don't think you have to be bulldozed over to get a penalty but the contact has to be such that it unfairly impedes the player from continuing play. To me Robben could of continued the play.

I don't think you played particularly badly as a team however Bayern were never under pressure whatsoever and the game was more than comfortable for them. You lacked any sort of impetus going forward and that was emphasized by Giroud playing poorly and Özil not turning up, again.

As for the penalty, I don't think it was a dive personally. I'd question why Koscielny kept nipping away at him knowing full well what Robben is like in those situations. I was actually surprised Robben stayed up as long as he did.

2 against 10 men.

Robben should be exterminated. Makes Suarez look like John the Baptist.

Its not like its Bayern's mistake because you couldn't handle their fowards.They won,you never ever created any problems to them.Go and have a dream about Arsenal being a better team :)

What did they have to create? Nothing' date=' that's what.[/quote']

They'd done the job in the first leg. You didn't get a sniff in the first half tonight either, which would have been a major part of their game plan. They just did it by controlling possession in your half. You stayed tight by defending resolutely.

As for the penalty' date=' I don't think it was a dive personally. I'd question why Koscielny kept nipping away at him knowing full well what Robben is like in those situations. I was actually surprised Robben stayed up as long as he did.[/quote']

Robben had his back towards the goal too. Naive defending at best.

Of course it's not contact that makes you fall over. Nowhere near a dive though.

The problem nowadays though is that no ref, foul or no foul, is gonna give a pen if you don't fall down so every player is naturally going down if in doubt. The problem is in the system though. Fair play is not being rewarded.

Can't help but think we would have been there or there abouts if it wasn't for the sending off in the first match. Extremely proud of our performance tonight considering the kind of monster Bayern are right now.

Chamberlain is a must in our midfield from now on. What a player. Easily Man of the match.

Hopefully this will have brought the belief back in the team and we can go to whl and win.