Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Kylie? More like MGK.

CL is very important. Helps us to build an even better team. FA Cup doesn't mean much now days. It's not as prestigious as it once was whether you like it or not the ratings prove this.

Hasn't worked for 10 years, has it? We're not far off with the current squad. You're under-estimating the impact it'd have on this lot to win a trophy. Great strides have been made by most of the squad already, namely Ramsey and Ox in particular, and a trophy would push them on further. By trying to be long sighted, you're actually being short sighted.

Hasn't worked for 10 years' date=' has it? We're not far off with the current squad. You're under-estimating the impact it'd have on this lot to win a trophy. Great strides have been made by most of the squad already, namely Ramsey and Ox in particular, and a trophy would push them on further. By trying to be long sighted, you're actually being short sighted.[/quote']

I'm not I've already mentioned about how much good it will do for the future and morale. However lets be realistic, we would never of signed a player like Ozil if we was in the Europa league. I would love for us to win a trophy but CL is our main priority. We have worked so hard all season and even lead the table for majority of it. To somehow go from genuine contenders to Europa league will be a huge blow. If that happens say goodbye to Koss and a few others. We need CL to keep our current squad and to improve our current squad.

No reason why you can't get a trophy and top four.

All this CL or trophy choice is nonsense

Agreed. Arsenal should have a squad capable of competing on multiple fronts.

I actually agree with the non Arsenal fans for once. We need both all this talk about which out of the two is more important isn't worth the light of day. Though I'd rather win the cup this season :P and anyway next season the Europa League will be a bigger competition as the winners go into the Champions League the following season. But yh we need both and should aim for both

The talk wasn't about us not being able to do both. I already said I feel we will do both. The convo was about what is our main priority. I repeat NOT that we can't or shouldn't be aiming for both.

Really is sad that I have to make a summary of any convo on this forum.

The talk wasn't about us not being able to do both. I already said I feel we will do both. The convo was about what is our main priority. I repeat NOT that we can't or shouldn't be aiming for both.

Really is sad that I have to make a summary of any convo on this forum.

Even so, I can't get my head around passing up a chance of a trophy, especially when you're such a big club with such a poor trophy record recently

Fans remember trophies, not league positions

Whats the point of always being in the Champions League if you never win it? Some will say to attract top players so you can win the league but whats the point if you never win the league? Honestly, I'd rather finish 5th every year and win the League Cup or FA Cup every year than just be in top 4 never winning anything. What's the point? If you finish 4th and win the FA Cup I'd say youve had a great season. Finish 5th and win the cup I'd say youve had a successful season. Finish 4th and no trophy and I'd be pretty underwhelmed (if I was an Arsenal fan that is)

Whats the point of always being in the Champions League if you never win it? Some will say to attract top players so you can win the league but whats the point if you never win the league? Honestly' date=' I'd rather finish 5th every year and win the League Cup or FA Cup every year than just be in top 4 never winning anything. What's the point? If you finish 4th and win the FA Cup I'd say youve had a great season. Finish 5th and win the cup I'd say youve had a successful season. Finish 4th and no trophy and I'd be pretty underwhelmed (if I was an Arsenal fan that is)[/quote']

Because of the revenue. Arsenal made just over 30m euros from last seasons participation in the Champions League. If you compare the revenue made from a club participating in the Europa League to a club participating in the Champions League, you'll find that there's a massive difference.

prize-money-comparison.png

champions-europa-league-tv-money.png

Even so' date=' I can't get my head around passing up a chance of a trophy, especially when you're such a big club with such a poor trophy record recently

Fans remember trophies, not league positions[/quote']

Agreed. Really is sad to call yourself a football fan when you would rather see your team finish 4th in a table then win a trophy.

Even so' date=' I can't get my head around passing up a chance of a trophy, especially when you're such a big club with such a poor trophy record recently

Fans remember trophies, not league positions[/quote']

Its not passing up a trophy, its getting a clubs priorities first and foremost. The table Hazard posted pretty much opitomises this... You will see why finishing 4th is a neccesity and a trophy is a luxury if Man U finish out of the top 4 next season as well. :P

So, from the tables that Hazard posted...

Assuming an R16 CL exit (as with this season) and EL semi finals (not at all unrealistic), you're losing about €2.5M in prize money, and assuming that you'd net yourself healthy TV revenue, you'd lose about €7.5M there. That adds to a nice easy €10M.

Your revenue last season was €284.3M, meaning that missing out on the CL would reduce your revenue by 3.5%.

Is that seriously not a good price to pay to see yourselves lift a trophy?

Not that it is an either/or opportunity...

So' date=' from the tables that Hazard posted...

Assuming an R16 CL exit (as with this season) and EL semi finals (not at all unrealistic), you're losing about €2.5M in prize money, and assuming that you'd net yourself healthy TV revenue, you'd lose about €7.5M there. That adds to a nice easy €10M.

Your revenue last season was €284.3M, meaning that missing out on the CL would reduce your revenue by 3.5%.

Is that seriously not a good price to pay to see yourselves lift a trophy?

Not that it is an either/or opportunity...[/quote']

How do you get only 2.5m difference in prize money between CL round of 16 and EL semi. It's at least 10m in prize money alone.

How do you get only 2.5m difference in prize money between CL round of 16 and EL semi. It's at least 10m in prize money alone.

Ah, misread the tables and didn't realise it was cumulative.

A season without the CL certainly wouldn't stop Arsenal being operational though and with your cash reserves, you can still afford to splash the cash without it for a season or two.

Ah' date=' misread the tables and didn't realise it was cumulative.

A season without the CL certainly wouldn't stop Arsenal being operational though and with your cash reserves, you can still afford to splash the cash without it for a season or two.[/quote']

I think it's naive to think though that you will be waltzing into the top 4 again after a season or two without it. Assuming Liverpool will qualify for CL this year, it took them 5 seasons to return to the top 4 despite major investment. Assuming they now also strengthen, United won't be awful forever and Spurs might actually get a decent manager, you'd be in for a rather risky game.

And potentially years and years without CL for an FA Cup win (in the hypothetical either or context)? I'd decline.

I think it's naive to think though that you will be waltzing into the top 4 again after a season or two without it. Assuming Liverpool will qualify for CL this year' date=' it took them 5 seasons to return to the top 4 despite major investment. Assuming they now also strengthen, United won't be awful forever and Spurs might actually get a decent manager, you'd be in for a rather risky game.

And potentially years and years without CL for an FA Cup win (in the hypothetical either or context)? I'd decline.[/quote']

Liverpool were unlucky in that they were replaced by a side with infinite resources. Arsenal wouldn't have that problem as FFP prevents sides from investing beyond their means to challenge the top clubs.

I think it's naive to think though that you will be waltzing into the top 4 again after a season or two without it. Assuming Liverpool will qualify for CL this year' date=' it took them 5 seasons to return to the top 4 despite major investment. Assuming they now also strengthen, United won't be awful forever and Spurs might actually get a decent manager, you'd be in for a rather risky game.

And potentially years and years without CL for an FA Cup win (in the hypothetical either or context)? I'd decline.[/quote']

Yes but that major investment came with mismanagement from Liverpool. Also you underestimate the fact that if Liverpool and lets assume Spurs took 4th may find it difficult to juggle Champions League football and Premier League football next season. It takes its toll believe me and I'm sure both wouldn't be first seeds so they will likely have tough groups also. United would be a bigger threat for top 4 then these two if they get into Champions League group stages and possibly beyond. Also United are likely to be building a brand new team with a lot of experienced players leaving it will take them time to adjust.

Liverpool were unlucky in that they were replaced by a side with infinite resources. Arsenal wouldn't have that problem as FFP prevents sides from investing beyond their means to challenge the top clubs.

Nevertheless, it's not gonna be easy. It's safe to say that Chelsea and City will finish top 4 the next couple seasons. Which leaves United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs for the remaining 2 spots. It'd be 50-50 every season.

Nevertheless' date=' it's not gonna be easy. It's safe to say that Chelsea and City will finish top 4 the next couple seasons. Which leaves United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs for the remaining 2 spots. It'd be 50-50 every season.[/quote']

That depends a lot on United's summer ;)

Also you underestimate the fact that if Liverpool and lets assume Spurs took 4th may find it difficult to juggle Champions League football and Premier League football next season. It takes its toll believe me and I'm sure both wouldn't be first seeds so they will likely have tough groups also.

I actually think that is wrong. I'd rather play CL Tuesday and Wednesday against good teams than play Thursdays in EL on a random potato field in Moldova.

I actually think that is wrong. I'd rather play CL Tuesday and Wednesday against good teams than play Thursdays in EL on a random potato field in Moldova.

Well your main example was Liverpool and they haven't been playing on Thursdays all season if you've noticed. I'm sure that as helped keep them fresh for the league. I would still have backed them for top 4 but no doubt they would've had fewer points if they were playing in any European competition. Also your assuming that teams field a strong side in the Europa League.

Its not passing up a trophy' date=' its getting a clubs priorities first and foremost. The table Hazard posted pretty much opitomises this... You will see why finishing 4th is a neccesity and a trophy is a luxury if Man U finish out of the top 4 next season as well. :P[/quote']

It might be a necessity for a club with not much money. But you would survive and compete as a club still with or without that money as it's going to be a relatively small amount of your revenue.

Like I say, I just cannot fathom it whatsoever. I've said it so many times before this; in 20/30/40/50 years time you'll still be talking about your undefeated season, not about the time you finished in the top four for fifteen years running.

It might be a necessity for a club with not much money. But you would survive and compete as a club still with or without that money as it's going to be a relatively small amount of your revenue.

Like I say' date=' I just cannot fathom it whatsoever. I've said it so many times before this; in 20/30/40/50 years time you'll still be talking about your undefeated season, [b']not about the time you finished in the top four for fifteen years running[/b].

Not true, when Wenger retired and whenever he's mentioned, it will be a legacy and a fact that he has left behind. Not any/many manager out there can be as loyal as Wenger and stay behind the club even with financial restriction. Just imagine that Mourinho has no financial backup, he would blame the director and leave the club immediately.