Sign in to follow this  
joshylong

Official Arsenal Thread

Great to finally have Cech wrapped up but I have a feeling we might not sign anymore players. Wenger will say we will only sign "top' date=' top quality" and will end up signing no one :([/quote']

i don't know, bringing in the likes of Özil, Alexis and Cech in the last few years, i think he might actually surprise us this time, the policy has changed.

Great to finally have Cech wrapped up but I have a feeling we might not sign anymore players. Wenger will say we will only sign "top' date=' top quality" and will end up signing no one :([/quote']

I hope you're right.

Its just I haven't got a clue who we will sign. Cause it seems the two positions we need to strengthen are DM and a Striker.

Wenger has never spent big on a DM and we've needed one for the last 8 or 9 years. He recalled Coquelin who's done amazingly well (which will only strengthen Wenger's belief that investing heavily is not the answer to finding a good DM). The year before he brought Flamini on a free (who started really well, and Wenger said it was like spending £20m on Ozil and £20m on Flamini). Arteta came in for £10m but was not a DM in his first season. I think that is why we went for Milner because he's free. Wenger is looking for a cheap option in this position.

Another reason he is looking cheap in that position because he would like to use his money to buy a "top, top" striker. He will wait and wait to the very end to see if someone like Benzema comes available. Which won't happen.

Some Arsenal fans I know are admiring United's business this window, however decent it might be, we can't admire another team's toys just because they are new, Arsene knows that we have probably 2 holes to plug, cover for Coq and possibly a Striker. I assume at this rate that only 1 of those holes will be plugged since the market is quiet on those fronts. Furthermore, Wenger seems to be working on the premise that whoever else we bring in must be coming in with world class pedigree, not somebody to boost the numbers which is something hard to disagree with. Those signings will probably happen if circumstances are perfect.

Some Arsenal fans I know are admiring United's business this window' date=' however decent it might be, we can't admire another team's toys just because they are new, Arsene knows that we have probably 2 holes to plug, cover for Coq and possibly a Striker. I assume at this rate that only 1 of those holes will be plugged since the market is quiet on those fronts. Furthermore, Wenger seems to be working on the premise that whoever else we bring in must be coming in with world class pedigree, not somebody to boost the numbers which is something hard to disagree with. Those signings will probably happen if circumstances are perfect.[/quote']

I think you should be able to be non-biased enough to say that another teams signings have been good just in the same way you would criticise bad ones.

Arsenal's weakest position last season was IMO the GK and to a lesser extent the striker. With Cech in goal Arsenal for the first time in a long time have a world class GK to help them properly contend for titles. He alone will easily win you at least 2/3 games next season with some top/ important saves and bring your defence a lot more stability and confidence.

The same cannot be said for ST as Giroud is not what I'd call a title winning forward although Alexis Sanchez has certainly helped soften the need for one last season.

Coquelin at DM has so far not shown any reason to be kicked out of the side but despite this I feel Arsenal really missed the boat this window by not signing someone like Schneiderlin, who IMO would have been the perfect player for them. Instead he's at one of your rivals for top 4/ a title challenge.

Now considering that Schneiderlin is off the market there is now realistically no DM on the market that is worth investing a lot of money in (if you can name one please do so) so it looks unlikely that you will see any progress in that area. However there are still potentially some strikers up for grabs.

Arsenal really are on the cusp of being a very dangerous team for next season but I just don't see the players available to them now to make the step from CL to titles.

For me it's still Chelsea's to lose.

I think you should be able to be non-biased enough to say that another teams signings have been good just in the same way you would criticise bad ones.

Arsenal's weakest position last season was IMO the GK and to a lesser extent the striker. With Cech in goal Arsenal for the first time in a long time have a world class GK to help them properly contend for titles. He alone will easily win you at least 2/3 games next season with some top/ important saves and bring your defence a lot more stability and confidence.

The same cannot be said for ST as Giroud is not what I'd call a title winning forward although Alexis Sanchez has certainly helped soften the need for one last season.

Coquelin at DM has so far not shown any reason to be kicked out of the side but despite this I feel Arsenal really missed the boat this window by not signing someone like Schneiderlin' date=' who IMO would have been the perfect player for them. Instead he's at one of your rivals for top 4/ a title challenge.

Now considering that Schneiderlin is off the market there is now realistically no DM on the market that is worth investing a lot of money in (if you can name one please do so) so it looks unlikely that you will see any progress in that area. However there are still potentially some strikers up for grabs.

Arsenal really are on the cusp of being a very dangerous team for next season but I just don't see the players available to them now to make the step from CL to titles.

For me it's still Chelsea's to lose.[/quote']

Carvalho is probably the only DM going around that we could sign who would improve the team and be a long term star potential imo. really missed the boat on Scnheiderlin. Darmina a great signing too, though i think Schweiny is a very intersting sining im 100% holding my judgement there could be amazing (what a guy he is) but it could be a titanic waste of money and i really dont know which. DM lacks options now so id exect IF ANYTHING a big striker as there are more options that could potentially materialise on that front.

We did miss out on Schneiderlin, I woulda loved him here, but I cant say Im too worried with keeping Coquelin as a starting DM. Nineteen games last season and good performances is more than enough to say that Coquelin deserves to stay at the helm of the DM position. He is 24, so now really is the time to be giving him big responsibility and game time. As of now, I think we should go for a back up DM, now that Morgan has slipped away.

On the other hand, someone like Giroud who has done okay, but has had enough time now, has just proven to be an okay player, so we need to replace him with a world class striker.

Carvalho is probably the only DM going around that we could sign who would improve the team and be a long term star potential imo. really missed the boat on Scnheiderlin. Darmina a great signing too' date=' though i think Schweiny is a very intersting sining im 100% holding my judgement there could be amazing (what a guy he is) but it could be a titanic waste of money and i really dont know which. DM lacks options now so id exect IF ANYTHING a big striker as there are more options that could potentially materialise on that front.

[/quote']

Carvalho out for 3 months, so he won't be coming in at Arsenal then.

Amazing what Shad has managed to do with regards to our injury record and also injury prevention practices' date=' may this continue this season as well cause perhaps better fitness may equal 4/5 pts more a season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ord-25-6054218

Haha no chance in hell.

Anyway 3-0 up against Everton right now. Looking good.

Lets alljust Pray Benzema can happen. Im not one bit excited casue i dont expect it but if it happened i would be overjoyed. Lets just hope. I think even with Coquelin a Beast striker and Cech could be enought to win the league. Prefer a DM upgrade but i think ST needs it more.

Anyway 3-0 up against Everton right now. Looking good.

Oh yes, I watched the game live in the stadium and Arsenal looked very good. Without Sanchez that too. Santi's second goal was beautiful, two feints tio either side before a narrow finish through the gap. His ball for Walcott was also nice.

Thought they'll collapse at the end after Barkley's sublime goal, but they went defensive and got the job done. Congrats to them, they did rather well.

Watched Cech on debut, he was solid. He'll save Arsenal 10 points a season, brings an air of comfortability. Couldn't have done much for Barkley's goal.

Everton were a good test, was a good game to watch as well.

Talk of Flaimini following Podolski to Turin. Apparently Galatasaray would pay £4m for him. Heck I would let him go for free!

Decent benchsitter good for an experienced head with the youths in cup games. I feel Flam brings alot in leadership and passion but is nowhere near best eleven. Signed on a free and with 1 year left to get anything from him is good business by Arsenal.