Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Guest JackWWFC

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Micah Richards' date=' Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joey Barton all have England caps :rolleyes: Then there's Onuoha who is better than Richards, Johnson who looked better than Barton before his injuries and Sturridge looks promising but was greedy and moved to Chelsea. We aren't on the same level as West Ham say but I'd say City were among the top 5 academies for bringing through English talent.[/quote']

Richards came through at Oldham if i remember rightly, and SWP came from Nottingham before Citeh poached :P

Micah Richards' date=' Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joey Barton all have England caps :rolleyes: Then there's Onuoha who is better than Richards, Johnson who looked better than Barton before his injuries and Sturridge looks promising but was greedy and moved to Chelsea. We aren't on the same level as West Ham say but I'd say City were among the top 5 academies for bringing through English talent.[/quote']

Barton - Ex Everton.

SWP - Ex Notts Forest.

Richards - Ex Leeds and Oldham.

Johnson - Ex Everton.

Sturridge - Ex Villa and Coventry.

None of these players were actually produced by your club, just 'poached' at a young age from other clubs and invited to join the academy. (Similar to what Arsenal do, i admit). Onouha is the only real English talent you have brought through in recent years (like Wilshere for us), and didn't he say he'd consider a callup from Nigeria?

Barton - Ex Everton.

SWP - Ex Notts Forest.

Richards - Ex Leeds and Oldham.

Johnson - Ex Everton.

Sturridge - Ex Villa and Coventry.

None of these players were actually produced by your club' date=' just 'poached' at a young age from other clubs and invited to join the academy. (Similar to what Arsenal do, i admit). Onouha is the only real English talent you have brought through in recent years (like Wilshere for us), and didn't he say he'd consider a callup from Nigeria?[/quote']

I don't see your point. Our academy played a key role in developing all these players and they are all English talents. Would all these players be what they are today without coming to City? Doubtful. I've already said I admired what Arsenal were doing but it wouldn't harm to bring through a few more Englishmen like City are doing. Our owners have put millions into strengthening the academy and creating community projects in Manchester. The point I was arguing about City's academy was when someone stated that the academy wouldn't get a look in under the new owners. This isn't the case. Onuoha had an offer to play for Nigeria in the World Cup but rejected it. He's captained England U21s and should break the full team at some point if he stays injury free.

I don't see your point. Our academy played a key role in developing all these players and they are all English talents. Would all these players be what they are today without coming to City? Doubtful. I've already said I admired what Arsenal were doing but it wouldn't harm to bring through a few more Englishmen like City are doing. Our owners have put millions into strengthening the academy and creating community projects in Manchester. The point I was arguing about City's academy was when someone stated that the academy wouldn't get a look in under the new owners. This isn't the case. Onuoha had an offer to play for Nigeria in the World Cup but rejected it. He's captained England U21s and should break the full team at some point if he stays injury free.

My point was just that City have been no better at producing English talent in recent times as Arsenal, they've both done pretty poorly. Thats true, you did help them along, but you can't take credit for 'producing' them, just the fact your team spotted that players talent, snapped him up and helped him on his way. Like JackWWFC said, bar Onouha (who, i admit, looks a real promising player), you haven't produced Englsih players of sufficent quality for your 1st team, just like Arsenal (bar Wilshere).

My point was just that City have been no better at producing English talent in recent times as Arsenal' date=' they've both done pretty poorly. Thats true, you did help them along, but you can't take credit for 'producing' them, just the fact your team spotted that players talent, snapped him up and helped him on his way. Like JackWWFC said, bar Onouha (who, i admit, looks a real promising player), you haven't produced Englsih players of sufficent quality for your 1st team, just like Arsenal (bar Wilshere).[/quote']

Are you suggesting that City's academy had no influence in getting these players to the top? City have done a lot more than Arsenal in terms of giving academy players opportunities in the first team and many more of ours are English. We can't take all the credit for the players I mentioned but the final stage of getting them to play first team football is the biggest step in their development.

Are you suggesting that City's academy had no influence in getting these players to the top? City have done a lot more than Arsenal in terms of giving academy players opportunities in the first team and many more of ours are English. We can't take all the credit for the players I mentioned but the final stage of getting them to play first team football is the biggest step in their development.

I don't think that part is true, Arsenal opitimises youth opportunities. Wenger will play anyone, regardless of age, if he thinks they're good enough. But i agree, academies play a vital role in developement of players, and you've done that well, helping the likes of SWP to become more complete as players; but, as you admitted, you can't take credit for them all. You're academy is one of the best in England, just not at producing their own players; more for aiding their development (which is key, i admit).

My overall point was the state of English academies, how good they are at 'producing' foreign players, but seem to struggle with producing English players good enough for the first team.

Anyway, i feel i've gone a little off topic and feel i can't say much more without repeating myself. But it was a good discussion.

Back to Arsenal news - I'm hearing alot about Joe Cole being linked with a move to us, a terrific signing if we can pull it off.

I don't think that part is true' date=' Arsenal opitimises youth opportunities. Wenger will play anyone, regardless of age, if he thinks they're good enough. But i agree, academies play a vital role in developement of players, and you've done that well, helping the likes of SWP to become more complete as players; but, as you admitted, you can't take credit for them all. You're academy is one of the best in England, just not at producing their own players; more for aiding their development (which is key, i admit).

My overall point was the state of English academies, how good they are at 'producing' foreign players, but seem to struggle with producing English players good enough for the first team.

Anyway, i feel i've gone a little off topic and feel i can't say much more without repeating myself. But it was a good discussion.

Back to Arsenal news - I'm hearing alot about Joe Cole being linked with a move to us, a terrific signing if we can pull it off.[/quote']

Yh Arsenal are strongly linked with him and I would be happy to see him at the Emirates. Would this mean that Nasri will takeover Cesc's position in the middle? But I'm still not sure if Joe Cole will actually be an Arsenal player because Wenger won't sign more than 3 players in the transfer window. We have 1 already and we will buy a centre back. If we sign another creative player then I'm not sure we will bring a keeper in. And a keeper is needed more than a midfielder.

Yh Arsenal are strongly linked with him and I would be happy to see him at the Emirates. Would this mean that Nasri will takeover Cesc's position in the middle? But I'm still not sure if Joe Cole will actually be an Arsenal player because Wenger won't sign more than 3 players in the transfer window. We have 1 already and we will buy a centre back. If we sign another creative player then I'm not sure we will bring a keeper in. And a keeper is needed more than a midfielder.

What makes you think you won't sign more than 3?

Strikers:

We have Chamakh' date=' so there'll be no more strikers coming in.

[u']Midfielders:[/u]

This all depends on Fabregas.

Like you said, if he leaves then Nasri will take his role (which he did perfectly against Porto), with Yaya and Cole (i imagine they'd join if Fab left) filling the midfield. (Since we have been playing a 4-3-3 of late). Part of me thinks the signing of Cole, and Arsenals stance on the matter, will see Fab stay another year; but if he does leave then any deal will include us getting Yaya Toure, i have no doubt about that. (After his move to Man City effectively collasped, with his agent stating ''They talk alot but then afterwards don't appear to be a rich club, but rather a bankrupt one.'' Like i said, if Fab leaves, then i expect the midfield to be Nasri, Yaya and Cole; with Song, Rosicky, Denilson, Ramsey, and Diaby acting as backups. (Wilshere will get loaned out again). Also, people forget that RVP, Arshavin, Walcott and Vela can play both upfront and in midfield; and then theres Eboue who, toward the end of last season, played heroicly on the wing.

Defenders:

With Silvestre, Campbell (going to Celtic?) and Gallas (Roma?) all out of contract (also, Senderos' future is still very uncertain; i.e. Fulhams interest) then i think he'll bring in two CB's. With my bets on Campbell to leave, along with Gallas and Silv to sign a 1 year deal. I can see us signing Laurent Koscielny from Lorient, and Senderos possibly staying. If Phillipe does stay that that will be all the defensive signings we make, with Nordveit featuring more next year. If he doesn't then we'll pretty much be forced to dip into the market for someone else. But, as i said, i see our central defenders next year as Vermaelen, Koscielny, Silvestre, Djourou, Senderos and Norveit. That should be enough depth.

Goalkeepers:

I feel this is an area we seriously need to work on, and so does Wenger judging by his comments further below. Arsene is somewhat reluctant to get rid of Almunia, simply because when he performs well, then he can be a crackin' 'keeper. But the other times? Woeful. Fabianski has been a big let down, i can see him being sold, Almunia kept as backup and a new goalie brought in. Who will that be? I'm not quite sure yet. Reports have linked us with everyone from Mark Schwarzer (too old) to Hugo Lloris. Personally, i'd love to see Lloris join us. Is he going to? Doubtful, at best. I have a feeling it'll be between Rob Green and Neuer. (I would've said Akinfeev, but he'd be too pricey). If it were upto me, i'd bring in either Steklenburg of Ajax, or Velthuizen of Vitesse (who has been linked with a move to Atlanta).

Latest News:

Goal.com state that Arsenal will sign Cole if he ''drops his wage demands by half'', since he is currently on 120,000 a week, with Wenger apparently only offering 60,000-80,000.

On the Arsenal website, Wenger has said that he's not ''scared to spend if needed'' on his back four, as he feels thats the area he has to strengthen most because we conceded so many goals last season.

Its going to be a busy summer.

So Wenger has said today that he has no intention of selling Fabregas..

I Still See Him Leaving but a gut feeling he won't ? :P

He's also aproached Schwarzer and it's on sksysports news :eek:

I Don't see Schwarzer leaving his club to join us to be honest :o

Mata has revealed interest in joining the premier league and he desires Arsenal :)

Also I Hope we sell Fabregas and Buy Ozil

Sell Fabregas because of the obvious reasons.. For about 50-60m

buy Ozil for like 50m probably will cost more than Fabregas after world cup..

but in all honesty Ozil won't join us i don't think :(

And Also Buy a Cb

Edit: how could i forget... Buy a New GoalKeeper aswell :P