Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Its clear the Barcelona don't rate Fabregas as highly as we do if they don't think hes worth £50m. They value him at £30m when they sold Toure for £27m. Fabregas is one of the top midfielders in the world but obviously they don't think so. If I was Cesc I would be a bit dissappointed by Barca.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

Before I go further I'm in agreement with you that Barca shouldn't be sniffing around Fabregas unless they're willing to offer what Arsenal is looking for. Or somewhere close to that.

But I don't think their offer is to do with undervaluing Fabregas or trying to get him on the cheap. I think its simply a case of all they can afford to a point. Barca aren't a Man City.

Laporta reported Barca's debt at his last AGM as being a modest €30m when in reality, including non-bank liabilities, monies due to all and sundry, the figure is somewhere near €360m, with a further €129m, due or provided for in later periods.

I think Barca would love to have Fabregas. I just very much doubt they can afford him.

• Replies 59k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• infernito

• JCAFC

• 123_ABC

• Lordy -RBA-

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Arsenal Thread A team that managed to overhaul a 13 point gap from their neighbours and finish above them last season, after the worst start in the clubs history, decide to improve thei

Re: Arsenal Gossip I can fully understand where Wenger is coming from and I appreciate it's not an ideal time to give a composed and informed interview so soon after that incident. While there is mer

Re: Official Arsenal Thread Very unimpressive list of England internationals, which may explain why the NT itself has been rather unimpressive for the last few decades. Villa is a EPL club from th

I was just searching threw the BBC Football Gossip Column and found this :):

Arsenal are ready to pay £20m for German playmaker Mesut Ozil, having trailed the 21-year-old for months. Ozil has one year left on his contract at Werder Bremen.

It's from the Daily Star, I don't know how reliable they are, but it's definetly worth keeping an eye on.

The Bremen president alreayd said various times that he will not sell Ozil this year.. :o:P

I daresay that his sale this Summer is almost beyond doubt. It'd be different if Ozil was less talented and less in the eye of the big clubs, but he could easily fetch £30m, and as good as he is, Ozil's 10/11 season won't be worth £30m to them. They can get a fantatsic replacement with that money, and they'd be fools to see him vanish for free in a year's time.

He's on £20,000 a week, he'd be able to command somehwere in the region of 3 to 5 times that at another club, plus he'll be able to challenge for whatever honours he wants, so i can't see him extending his contract at Bremen either. :o

Forget what has been said, I can see an offer Bremen can't refuse coming in for Mesut Ozil. :D

I daresay that his sale this Summer is almost beyond doubt. It'd be different if Ozil was less talented and less in the eye of the big clubs' date=' but he could easily fetch £30m, and as good as he is, Ozil's 10/11 season won't be worth £30m to them. They can get a fantatsic replacement with that money, and they'd be fools to see him vanish for free in a year's time.

He's on £20,000 a week, he'd be able to command somehwere in the region of 3 to 5 times that at another club, plus he'll be able to challenge for whatever honours he wants, so i can't see him extending his contract at Bremen either. :o

Forget what has been said, I can see an offer Bremen can't refuse coming in for Mesut Ozil. :D[/quote']

Couldnt agree more. He needs to move, and with such a mass amount of money Bremen could easily get a worthy replacement. He would be a loss no doubt, but as you say an extra season would not be worth it if Bremen were missing out on about 20-30M, that'd be mad if they lost him on a free. :P

I daresay that his sale this Summer is almost beyond doubt. It'd be different if Ozil was less talented and less in the eye of the big clubs' date=' but he could easily fetch £30m, and as good as he is, Ozil's 10/11 season won't be worth £30m to them. They can get a fantatsic replacement with that money, and they'd be fools to see him vanish for free in a year's time.

Forget what has been said, I can see an offer Bremen can't refuse coming in for Mesut Ozil. :D[/quote']

Not sure if they can get an easy replacement for him.. I would prefer have him more 1 season and lose 5M € than try buy a replacement so quickly(the official games start in 1 month) and not have time to fit him in the team and sportively my team make 0.. i win games with very good players, not with money ;)

Cant believe Barca had to take out a loan to pay their own players. I really think football needs restrictions on its financing so that teams cant just get a sugar daddy or a loan to sort them out of financial problems. It would make the sport more interesting if it was something of a level playing field.

only seen koscielny a couple of times , the 1st time he was quite awfull :( , the 2nd time he scored and got sent off , so all we can do is trust this transfer and hope for the best :)

Also wenger said today he is after another defender on arsenal.com :)

Edit: Eduardo Has Moved To Genoa :( i wanted him to move to us :(;)

only seen koscielny a couple of times ' date=' the 1st time he was quite awfull :( , the 2nd time he scored and got sent off , so all we can do is trust this transfer and hope for the best :)

Also wenger said today he is after another defender on arsenal.com :)

Edit: Eduardo Has Moved To Genoa :( i wanted him to move to us :(;)[/quote']

also Koscielny is 6 ft 1 , its been a while since we had quite a big defender..

wenger has said that he will be announcing a new goalkeeper after the world cup :) but he is yet not signed.. this is from a interview not a rumour...

also i wonder what other defenders we get :)

c'mon world cup finish to wenger can start the business! :)

Just read on the Sky Sports website that Juventus are willing to listen to offers for Felipe Melo, with general director Guiseppe Marotta stating that Melo's ''situation is the same as other player's at the club. Hence, we are on guard to evaluate all eventual offers.''

Now, seeing as Wenger is a long term admirer of Felipe, there is alot of speculation surrounding a possible bid from Arsenal. Personally, i'd love to see him at the club, he'd add abit of spine to the midfield and Song would benefit from playing alongside him, too. Here's the problem..

Since Wenger has already spent a suspected 8.2m on Koscielny, and with him also stating he still wants to add to his defence, that's going to be a huge chunk out of the transfer budget. (Well, not exactly huge, but we all know that Wenger doesn't like to spend particularly much). So, this all hightens the specualtion of a possible swap deal involving Gael Clichy.

If this did happen, then we'd be short at LB, obviously. So, all in all, would this see a position change for Vermaelen; perhaps he'd be the intended replacement for Clichy? Leaving Koscielny and whoever else Wenger decides to sign at CB to fill the heart of the defence (with Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka and Tasci all linked). A risky move buying Koscielny, entrusting a player that, before last season, hadn't played above the second division of French football. I know he had a good season for Lorient, but it's still a heck of a risk; one good season in Ligue 1, then expected to start every week for a Premier League team? Risky. But, i trust Wengers judgement, and i do hope Kosc is a success for us.

As for the whole Fabregas saga, i'm beginning to think he'll stay for another season; one last hurrah before he saunters off home to the welcoming arms of the Catalan giants. I'd prefer we sold him now, activated the minimum release clause in Gourcuff's contract (Roughly £22m i believe), and strengthend the defence abit more - including a new 'keeper. But, due to Barcelona's so called 'financial crisis' at the moment, we aren't going to squeeze a penny over £35m for Cesc, which Wenger will swiftly reject; and rightly so, he's worth at least £50m, maybe even £60m on today's market.

Interestingly, when Barcelona sold both Yaya Toure and Chygrynskiy to Manchester City and Shakhtar Donetsk respectively, they announced that the money would go straight into ''easing the club's short term liquidity problems''. Not a penny of the 48m Euro's raised in those sales will be spent in replacing/re-investing into a squad which is expected to match, and dominate, globally against clubs like Manchester City, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Inter Milan; teams that don't have to sell any players and still have considerably more to spend.

Part of me thinks the 'financial crisis' at Barcelona is just desert's for spending ridiculous amounts in the past on players, but another part of me thinks that people are wrong in saying that Barcelona are trying to make fools out of Arsenal by tabelling such derisory offers for Fabregas. Has anyone ever thought that maybe, just maybe, Barca can't afford to spend another £50m on a player? That maybe they don't have enough left in the bank to splash out on a player of Cesc's calibre due to the previous inflated transfers of recent years? You're all now thinking: ''Yeah, but this is Barcelona we're talking about, freaking Barcelona man; they're made of money!'' Even top clubs feel the pinch every now and then. Take Manchester United for example, they have extraordinary amounts of debt, nearing the £800m mark i believe; and despite Sir Alex Ferguson saying himself that, after the recent arrivals of Chris Smalling and Javier Hernandez, he would only be making one more signing, they're are atleast 3 rumours a day about how they're ''going to make a move for Bayern Munich's Bastian Schweinsteiger, valued at £30m'', or ''going to table a £35m bid for Karim Benzema'', or even being linked with a £40-50m move for Wesley Sneijder! Despite being in massive debt, not being able to afford these big money moves, and Sir Alex saying he'll only get one more player, they're still constantly linked with loads of high-profile, big money moves for different players everyday.

Barcelona know how good Fabregas is, they know how much he is really worth, but due to their so called 'financial crisis' they don't want to spend that much on him. So they're trying to use the player's love for the club, and his desire to play for them as a bargaining tool. Forcing Arsenal's hand, because sooner or later they'll have an un-happy player on there hands, not performing properly and demanding a transfer. It's actually quite a cunning move by the Spaniards. Knowing that 40m Euro's is about their maximum without seriously damaging their finances, they refuse to budge on their offer, simply because they can't afford to, and leave the ball in Arsenal's court. Cesc gets anxious, worrying his 'dream move' won't happen because of his club's un-willingness to accept the offer, therefore unsettling him. An unsettled player is a useless player. Barcelona know that soon enough they'll back him, for a price they choose and can afford. It's pure genius. If Arsenal did this to Barcelona, for, lets say, Xavi and pulled it off, the fans would go wild. So the criticism of Barca is a little unfair.

And finally, Gunner, i read the interview and Arsene Wenger did not say he'd be announcing a new goalkeeper after the WC, he actually said he'd be ''reviewing the goalkeeping position'' after admitting that in training Almunia is great but often in matches gets ''nervous and lets the big stage get to him'' (or something along those lines, i don't remember the exact words). But nothing is definite yet, he's just going to ''review'' the situation for now.

Sorry for blabbering on.

Handanovic is the latest rumoured keeper.... Regarding Melo and others actually it annoys me that Arsenal were linked with these players a few years ago when they werent at big clubs but we chose not to sign them. Why try now when they cost £20+ million Feels like we keep missing the boat!!

In a weird way I think Fabregas being benched by Spain so much might work in Arsenal's favour. Cesc is used to starting every match not making sub appearances here and there. He might realise he can plty another year at Arsenal as top dog, then move to Barca where Xavi and co are another year older and closer to their decline! This deal is far from done because we wont be rushed into acccepting an insulting offer for the top young midfielder in the premier league.

I wonder who the defenders are we are pursuing...

I imagine after Sunday all the Fabregas to Barcelona rumours will fire up again and won't go away until he moves or commits his future to Arsenal by saying he's going nowhere, or something. I don't want him to move because I love watching him. Not really sure if he'll move or not.

I haven't seen anything of Koscielny tbh, but if he starts as Vermaelen did he will be a very good signing. :P

I imagine after Sunday all the Fabregas to Barcelona rumours will fire up again and won't go away until he moves or commits his future to Arsenal by saying he's going nowhere' date=' or something. I don't want him to move because I love watching him. Not really sure if he'll move or not.

[b']I haven't seen anything of Koscielny tbh, but if he starts as Vermaelen did he will be a very good signing.[/b] :P

i can see him being an absolute replaca tbh. he will be 90 in no time lol:)

Ozil told Bild am Sonntag: "Bremen want me to fulfil the contract and so I will fulfil the contract. "

"I have always said that I want to fulfil my contract. That is important for me. Money isn't everything."

Speaking of a possible contract extension, he said: "It's not out of the question. We can take another look mid-season."