Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

I agree with Spam with regards our defence, I am still really impressed with Fabianski's latest performances. If I had given my opinions a month or 2 ago id be with Spam, disappointed in Wenger not signing a goalkeeper. Now though i'm happy enough with Fabianski in goal. I've a lot more confidence in him that in Almunia that's for sure.

Totally with you there. ;)

I'm not desperate to see Arsene go for a number of reasons' date=' but if I could pick the manager I'd love to see Hiddink or Mourinho at the club.

The man is a tactical genius, and really knows his way around the game. He wouldn't be too shrewd about certain 'situations' at the club, I.E. the 'keeper issue wouldn't last too long. He'd use the transfer fund too I'm sure.

I neither loathe nor love Wenger as a manager, he's been a massive influence for over a decade on the Premier League never mind Arsenal, he's landed some of our modern greats for next to nothing (or at least what they turned out to be worth) and even if we don't win we play beautiful football on the whole, so I look back at the time I've supported the club and been immensely pleased with Arsene.

But...

His 'loyalty' really infuriates me. Wenger must know that between Fabianski Almunia and Sczesny we genuinely don't have a 'top class 'keeper' (a term banded about so much these days! :D) who's good enough for a club of our stature.

IMO he's failed to adress the issue since the departure of Devid Seaman forever and a day ago. When our greatest ever 'keeper left, up stepped his understudy in Lehmann (who thankfully turned out to be good *at times*, particularly during our CL campaign of 05/06), who was then replaced by [i']his[/i] understudy Almunia, who simply isn't good enough. Neither is his Polish understudy Fabianski, despite Wenger's claims.

A club liek Arsenal FC shouldn't be relying on the understudy of an understudy of a long gone legend, by now we should've ditched the pair of clowns we have vying for the number one jersey and dipped into the market. We've been linked with every top 'keeper going in the last four years, but I've never suspected that Wenger would have the steel to denounce our current crop as good enough. You can't always rely on the academy to bring talent forward, we need a close to finished article.

I'm still sickened that we don't have Lloris as our number one. When he left Nice (for a now horribly paltry €8.5m) we showed a lot of interest, but backed down when AC Milan came calling. Lyon eventually signed him for less than £7m, and you'd be lucky if they even considered an offer thrice that nowadays...

If Wenger had admitted the situation between the sticks wasn't good, we mightn't have had a Hart or a Lloris, but we'd certainly not be as dire at the back as we are now. :mad:

Buy a goalie Arsene, man up and say what you know is true. Koscielny isn't good enough either. I've hinted (never committed myself to going this far though I don't believe) that he hasn't been my cup of tea, but after the derby I'd like to see Djourou ahead of him in the pecking order. Our attacking players form one of the biggets attacking threats in world football, and our wingbacks are great and alright going from right to left, but injured Vermaelen aside, the core of our defense simply isn't good enough to compete for the silverware we apparently crave. If an 'ambitious' club aren't willing to spend to solve obvious problems then how can we claim to be one?

Buy a good Centre Back (I'd personally like to see Squilli as the backup CB, he's good, but IMO we need better at Arsenal) like Rolando or Mertesacker, who BTW is extremely coy on his future, and a top class glovesman of the likes of Diego Lopez or Igor Akinfeev. Then win trophies. Lots of them! :P

EDIT: Whew, sorry for the rant guys! :o

I've said this before as well but there is absolutely no point writing Kos off after two months of Premiership. Admittedly, he's made some very poor errors like the sending off against Newcastle and he had a very mixed game at the weekend, but on the other side of the coin he's also had some very decent games as well. Don't forget, he's already had to play with three different partners at the center of defence this season, that doesn't help either.

Back to the goalkeeping issue, this is what firmly swung me against Wenger. I was growing impatient after watching us fall apart again last season, but then the debacle that was the Mark Schwarzer chase in the summer really cheesed me off. He put all his eggs in one basket and refused to fork out an extra million to buy a goalkeeper that was in my eyes a very debatable choice in the first place. The fact that he had one target was a joke to be frank.

Sure we're all able to have outbursts at our players etc' date=' but it makes no sense just to turn against Wenger now after all he's done. Any other manager would not have kept us at the top like he has.. Fabianski is doing very well now, allbeit that mistake against Newcastle but thats only one mistake. He was at no fault against Tottenham. Every game he gets more confident. [b']He's doing well with aerial challenges for set pieces [/b]I think he's now a top Goalie, now all he needs is to be consistent for the whole season and he'll change everyones opinions.

He really isn't mate. Fair dos, he weren't at fault for the goals against Spurs but he just looked hopeless coming out for crosses, what you need in a goalkeeper is someone who will demolish everything in his path and come claim the ball, Fabianski just doesn't have that ability. Good shot stopper yes, doing all right at the moment, yes, but we will still concede goals from set pieces on a regular basis while he is number one.

I've said this before as well but there is absolutely no point writing Kos off after two months of Premiership

When is soon enough, after half a season of poor performances and inconsistency? the guy is simply not good enough. He has his moments, but at a 'top' club you need to have more than moments to deserve to be there.

He was dire at both ends of the pitch at the weekend IMO, and his second half performance was one of a CB at a relegation zone club.

Hayden, we're not talking about the same guy - you mean Almeria's Diego Alves... :D

He really isn't mate. Fair dos' date=' he weren't at fault for the goals against Spurs but he just looked hopeless coming out for crosses, what you need in a goalkeeper is someone who will demolish everything in his path and come claim the ball, Fabianski just doesn't have that ability. Good shot stopper yes, doing all right at the moment, yes, but we will still concede goals from set pieces on a regular basis while he is number one.[/quote']

True, I agree with you. I meant to put in as of late. I just think that with his ever growing confidence Fabianski could become a Goalie that can command the box and aerial challenges, at the moment he's doing well and consistency will only add to his game.

True' date=' I agree with you. I meant to put in as of late. I just think that with his ever growing confidence Fabianski could become a Goalie that can command the box and aerial challenges, at the moment he's doing well and consistency will only add to his game.[/quote']

If we could make him another four or five inches taller then i would agree with you.

GET SHAY GIVEN...

Erm, no... :P

Because there's a reason why he's behind Joe Hart... When he's started this season he's been average, I've only seen him against Lech, but from talking previously to Stuart he's dropped a bit in standard. Let him go to Celtic and let us get a 'keeper who won't start to get worse a season after we sign him...

Nasri's really' date=' really looking the part. Against England, he was well and truely bossing it!![/quote']

Couldn't agree more. ;)

Can't see Walcott getting picked ahead of him the way Nasri's been playing on the right wing. I think we've found a real gem of a winger, he'll be a torture for even the best defenses on his day, and I've been particularly impressed by the way he's maintained a really high level of energy and consistency over the last couple of months. It won't be long before he's being linked with the usual clubs methinks...

Couldn't agree more. ;)

Can't see Walcott getting picked ahead of him the way Nasri's been playing on the right wing. I think we've found a real gem of a winger' date=' he'll be a torture for even the best defenses on his day, and I've been particularly impressed by the way he's maintained a really high level of energy and consistency over the last couple of months. It won't be long before he's being linked with the usual clubs methinks...[/quote']

Theo hasn't got much of a chance tbh! Yeah, you're right, Madrid/Inter/Barca/Bayern will all be linked. Nasri seems a loyal one, and seems to be happy, all his fellow countrymen at Arsenal, but who know's! Also, Nari has more pace on him than I thought. Right speed-demon!

Theo hasn't got much of a chance tbh! Yeah' date=' you're right, Madrid/Inter/Barca/Bayern will all be linked. Nasri seems a loyal one, and seems to be happy, all his fellow countrymen at Arsenal, but who know's! Also, Nari has more pace on him than I thought. Right speed-demon![/quote']

Yeah, not a nice threat when you're a leftback, just look at his goal against Porto (nominated for the Ferenc Puskas' award) to see what he's capable of, maybe he is the new Zizou after all! Right now you'd hardly believe that Ribery is rated 3 points higher than our wee Samir. Hopefully SM will rectify that come the top league's changes when they both change to 93! :P

A rise and a positional change to Wing/AM and I'll be content. ;)

Erm' date=' no... :P

Because there's a reason why he's behind Joe Hart... When he's started this season he's been average, I've only seen him against Lech, but from talking previously to Stuart he's dropped a bit in standard. Let him go to Celtic and let us get a 'keeper who won't start to get worse a season after we sign him...[/quote']

I wouldn't say he's dropped in standard. I think he's the similar overrated keeper he's always been just really lacking game-time. If any keeper doesn't play for long periods they get rusty. Can see him forcing his way out of City in January... He's better than anything you've got :o

I wouldn't say he's dropped in standard. I think he's the similar overrated keeper he's always been just really lacking game-time. If any keeper doesn't play for long periods they get rusty. Can see him forcing his way out of City in January... He's better than anything you've got :o

You know you've got a bad situation when a 'close rival' club has two goalkeepers way above the standard of your top choice! :P

I'd rather Shay hang his coat up at Celtic or wherever he wishes to play at, and go for Marchetti or either of the (considerably more expensive) options I mentioned earlier. ;)

I don't see why you need to buy a new keeper when you have Szczesny.. he'll be ready to start every game next season. Send him out on loan to a top 6 Championship side in January and then next season give him his chance.

Still only 20.. imo he would do fine starting for you now, but obviously Wenger doesn't think he's there just yet. Would be harsh on him if you were to buy a keeper aged 25/26 etc without giving him at least 10-15 games..

As a current 2nd keeper.. I'd rate him as one of the best in the Premier League. Turnbull/Hilario, Kuszczak, Brad Jones, Cudicini.. I'd take Szczesny over any of them. Given is better at the moment but I doubt he will be for long..

Henri Lansbury Join's Norwich City on Loan for 28 days.

Swansea have been looking to get him since August, got told a couple of times that he was either injured or needed as a sub because of other injuries and then he goes to Norwich :confused: We probably didn't want him in the end - or were just focusing on a forward.

Swansea have been looking to get him since August' date=' got told a couple of times that he was either injured or needed as a sub because of other injuries and then he goes to Norwich :confused: We probably didn't want him in the end - or were just focusing on a forward.[/quote']

Norwich actually needed him, they have an injury filled squad.