Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

You're talking rubbish again Aidan...

Arsenal have definitely coped with the losses of Vieira and Henry as they're still very competitive in every competition. Those losses coincided with a certain Russian moving into Chelsea which led them to dominate for a few seasons.

The last bit is the worst! Alonso left Liverpool and they've dropped from a comfortable top 4 side to barely reaching the Europa League. Fabregas has been less effective than Nasri this season and Wilshere is growing into a similar role. Song is also getting forward more and is scoring regularly. When Cesc leaves I don't think it'll be half as bad as people are making out to be...

He's right though, Arsenal haven't won a trophy since 2005, and Vieira left in 2005. Wenger has built a decent side but no trophies in 5 years is bad for a club of Arsenal's stature. With 2 cups to go for, in particular the League Cup, you would have expected Arsenal to win something in that period. Chelsea didn't win every competition that Arsenal were in though so using Abromovich as the reason that Arsenal have no trophies for 5 years is quite bad by your standards Stuart :o

Arsenal will move on if (or when) they lose Fabregas but I can't see Wilshere or Nasri ever becoming as good as him.

He's right though' date=' Arsenal haven't won a trophy since 2005, and Vieira left in 2005. Wenger has built a decent side but no trophies in 5 years is bad for a club of Arsenal's stature. With 2 cups to go for, in particular the League Cup, you would have expected Arsenal to win something in that period. Chelsea didn't win every competition that Arsenal were in though so using Abromovich as the reason that Arsenal have no trophies for 5 years is quite bad by your standards Stuart :o

Arsenal will move on if (or when) they lose Fabregas but I can't see Wilshere or Nasri ever becoming as good as him.[/quote']

I don't think them leaving is the reason behind Arsenal not winning anything though. Meh, the first argument was OK (basis in fact) but the second is still ridiculous IMO. Arsenal aren't going to lose Fabregas and become a mid-table side as Aidan suggests.

I think we've coped well with the loss of Vieira and Henry. Throughout those 5 years it wasn't just Vieira and Henry that left, we had to cope with the loss of that whole invincible team. Lehmann, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Cole, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Vieira, Pires, Henry and Bergkamp. Thats our whole team gone. Ok we havent won a trophy, but we've still kept up title challenges, got to a good few finals. We have been through a massive transition and the fact now our team is a serious challenger is a huge success. We spent barely any money too, we've coped well with the loss of massive players. I'm proud of that.

We can cope with losing anyone.

I don't think them leaving is the reason behind Arsenal not winning anything though. Meh' date=' the first argument was OK (basis in fact) but the second is still ridiculous IMO. Arsenal aren't going to lose Fabregas and become a mid-table side as Aidan suggests.[/quote']

It's certainly one of the issues, any side would struggle with losing players of Vieira and Henry at their prime.

And that's not what he suggested :confused: He just said that Fabregas leaving Arsenal would be worse than when Liverpool lost Alonso. I'm not sure I agree with it but I doubt that Aidan was thinking that they would become a mid-table side, especially with the players Wenger could bring in with the money. (Now would be a good time to say that that wasn't what you meant Aidan :P)

Haha' date=' what a bad argument.

Since Henry & Viera left you haven't won any trophies, in the previous couples of years before they left you won the league and two FA cups.

Just backing up that the lose of Fabregas would be massive for Arsenal, bigger then the loss of Xabi Alonso for Liverpool.[/quote']

The reason Liverpool have been doing poorly of late is not because Xabi Alonso left(though it didn't help). It is because over the past few years they have put together a squad which is bog standard and are now reaping their rewards. Liverpool suffered when Alonso left because the replacements for him were simply not up to scratch. I look at Wilshere, Nasri and hopefully Ramsey and am not not too concerned when Cesc leaves(although i'd like him to stay obviously)

Arsenal will cope when Fabregas leaves as they have with every big name thats left. History proves that. Ok Arsenal havent won anything in 5 years and I argue that some of that is down to the fact that football has changed.

Man City have spent countless millions and its only now that they are 2 points ahead with a game played more. Chelsea have their sugar daddy to top finance their signings. Credit should go to Arsenal for producing a team that consistently stays in the top 4 on a shoe string budget in comparison.

I look forward to when teams need to be financially viable over a 3 year period to compete in the champions league but even then I suspect there will be loop holes for clubs with rich owners to creep through.

Yes I'd be happier if Arsenal won more honours and no winning isnt entirely down to just buying big name players but Arsenal deserve credit for a mainatining their period of relative success.

Arsenal will cope when Fabregas leaves as they have with every big name thats left. History proves that. Ok Arsenal havent won anything in 5 years and I argue that some of that is down to the fact that football has changed.

Man City have spent countless millions and its only now that they are 2 points ahead with a game played more. Chelsea have their sugar daddy to top finance their signings. Credit should go to Arsenal for producing a team that consistently stays in the top 4 on a shoe string budget in comparison.

I look forward to when teams need to be financially viable over a 3 year period to compete in the champions league but even then I suspect there will be loop holes for clubs with rich owners to creep through.

Yes I'd be happier if Arsenal won more honours and no winning isnt entirely down to just buying big name players but Arsenal deserve credit for a mainatining their period of relative success.

Yes they do, but it doesn't hide the fact i think that Fab going will only increase the gap between them and the Sugar Daddy teams as you put it...

Arsenal havent dropped out of the top 4 when any of the big players have left so history seems to disagree that Arsenal will drop down.

Look at recent events, sold Adebayor and Toure, let Gallas go, still top 4. No one knew Vermalean would be so good, Chamakh has done ok, Arsenal move on and replace with a new face.

I think the Liverpool comparison overplays their downfall on Alonso leaving, Mascherano also left and livepool were already in decline last season. They ahvent replaced these world class players with anyojne truly decent. It shows that the premiership is not an easy league to remain top 4 so Mr Wenger deserves his plaudits.

Arsenal havent dropped out of the top 4 when any of the big players have left so history seems to disagree taht Arsenal will drop down.

I think the Liverpool comparision overplays their downfall on Alonso leaving' date=' Mascherano also left and livepool were already in decline last season. It shows that the premiership is not an easy league to remain top 4 so Mr Wenger deserves his plaudits.[/quote']

The Premiership was an easy league to stay top 4 before Man C and Tottenham spent a load of cash. Before that it was pretty much the same top 4 every year!

Yes the top 4 has remained unchanged for much of the past number of years but over 38 games the table doesnt lie. The gap is samller in the Premiership than say the Spanish league so saying its easy to finish top 4 in the premiership is a bit of a blase statement. English performance in recent champions leagues proves that the English teams have been of a high standard reaching many finals, even an all English final.

Spurs havent really spent any more money this year than others, theyre just playing well under Rednap and Bale has suddenly ignited!

My point is that in such a competitive and high standard of league with Arsenal selling their best players Wenger has done well to consistently get into the top 4 and get through the group stages of the champions league. A league regarded as the top/second top.

You argue it was easy to stay top 4' date=' but the top 4 staying relatively unchanged isnt proof of this. I could argue that the top 4 played better over 38 games. Those teams have over the past few years done well in the champions league so perhaps they just were better than the other teams.[/quote']

You could argue that. Of course that would be a rubbish argument because they played better over the 38 games because they spent the most money :rolleyes: They got more money from the CL, they spent more.

They haven't just "become" better than other teams, before Man City were bankrolled, Arsenal have spent more money in recent years (past 15 or so) than pretty much every team apart from Man U, Chelsea, and Liverpool. I don't know who has spent most.

EDIT: what are you doing with your posts?? I can't be bothered to argue with someone who's edited the below post at least 3 times.

You could argue that. Of course that would be a rubbish argument because they played better over the 38 games because they spent the most money :rolleyes: They got more money from the CL' date=' they spent more.

They haven't just "become" better than other teams, before Man City were bankrolled, Arsenal have spent more money in recent years (past 15 or so) than pretty much every team apart from Man U, Chelsea, and Liverpool. I don't know who has spent most.

EDIT: what are you doing with your posts?? I can't be bothered to argue with someone who's edited the below post at least 3 times.[/quote']

Arsenal are 11th lowest NET spenders 92-2010 according to this link

http://goonertalk.com/2010/04/19/picture-arsenals-net-spending-in-premier-league-era-is-32m/

I edited my post because it wasnt well written and the new one made well backed up points, I then edited for typos. You seem to use blase statemnts as fact.

"Oh the premiership is easy to stay in the top 4" - no it isnt - ask the chasing pack (who may have spent as much as or more than Arsenal).

"oh Arsenal spend as much as anyone" - no they dont see the link - 11th lowest. They sell for profit and buy youngsters who they turn into stars. we dont bank roll our purchases we have to balance the books.

Wenger does great in a hard league on a relatively low budget.

Arsenal are 11th lowest NET spenders 92-2010 according to this link

http://goonertalk.com/2010/04/19/picture-arsenals-net-spending-in-premier-league-era-is-32m/

I edited my post because it wasnt well written and the new one made well backed up points' date=' I then edited for typos. You seem to use blase statemnts as fact.

"Oh the premiership is easy to stay in the top 4" - no it isnt - ask the chasing pack (who may have spent as much as or more than Arsenal).

"oh Arsenal spend as much as anyone" - no they dont see the link - 11th lowest. They sell for profit and buy youngsters who they turn into stars. we dont bank roll our purchases we have to balance the books.

Wenger does great in a hard league on a relatively low budget.[/quote']

Even Everton are ahead of us and that's bad :o

Haha' date=' what a bad argument.

Since Henry & Viera left you haven't won any trophies, in the previous couples of years before they left you won the league and two FA cups.

Just backing up that the lose of Fabregas would be massive for Arsenal, bigger then the loss of Xabi Alonso for Liverpool.[/quote']

I know we didnt win any titles, the guy said we wouldnt get top 4 without Fabregas, which we can do easily.

People said Arsenal wouldnt get into Top 4 with out Henry, and we have.

Everyone knows that Nasri, Wilshere, even Ramsey can take Fabregas' place in the team. Of course wont be the same, but they can still do that role very well.

Did you guys see your reserve games result last night' date=' lost 10-1 to villa :D

Gary Gardners return from injury :D:D[/quote']

I read a report on it, apparently there was a massive fight at the end or something?

10-1 is ridiculous.All be it most of our young players are out on loan, Villa have players out on loan too.

I read a report on it' date=' apparently there was a massive fight at the end or something?

10-1 is ridiculous.All be it most of our young players are out on loan, Villa have players out on loan too.[/quote']

Well its usually us and you competing for the reserve title in our region and it is this year so you must have a strong team lol !

regardless of who was out on loans it daft score like you say !

Didnt mention about the fight on the villa match report, do you know what happened ?

Im just delighted Gary Gardner came back and played well, couldnt care to much about spanking your reserves.

Well its usually us and you competing for the reserve title in our region and it is this year so you must have a strong team lol !

regardless of who was out on loans it daft score like you say !

Didnt mention about the fight on the villa match report' date=' do you know what happened ?

Im just delighted Gary Gardner came back and played well, couldnt care to much about spanking your reserves.[/quote']

I must have misread a post on the website, I was sure there was a fight. It must have been about the red card, was it bad?

Terrible result, like you I dont care much as its all about going out on loan that teaches players. Happy to see Gardner back, he's quality.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9358390.stm

Just read this' date=' it seems like so long ago that he didn't play..hope he comes back sooner rather than later.[/quote']

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-ll-look-around-for-a-centre-half

the wenger interview

Szczesny is likely to stay in goal if you caught that last bit

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6658639,00.html

Clubs will face possible bans from European competition from the 2014/15 season if they spend more than they earn over a three-year period.

This 'indirect salary cap' has been designed to safeguard the long-term health of the European game and introduce more discipline within club finances.

And Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino has held up Arsenal as an example of a well-run club to have boosted their income without ever overspending.

He said: "Ten years ago Arsenal reported less income than Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle. Now it is more than those clubs and in 2009 more than double Newcastle's.

"This shows what is possible with good management and careful investment.

"What kind of healthy business model is it to wait for a knight rider on a horse with a lot of money to throw around and then one day jump back on his horse and ride away?"

:D