Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Ahhh the memories.

Walcott, give him you jacket. Number 13 doesnt look right!

Still don't know why we never loaned him like Spurs do Beckham. Always a good sub player.

Bet we drop points at West Ham. Teams doing bad always play amazing against us for some reason.

Altough having looking at sky bet :P

We've seen a significant move for Southampton's hot property Alex Chamberlain to join Arsenal this morning. The winger is into 1/4 (from 4/1) to quit St Mary's for the Emirates

Yh do Sky Bet know something we don't know? But hey in the summer we were odds on favourites for Joe Cole at a stage. I think all the big sides will be favourites for him it will change every week. I don't see him joining us because we have too many youngsters unless Wenger is trying to make our future team all English. Which I highly doubt.

Ahhh the memories.

Walcott' date=' give him you jacket. Number 13 doesnt look right!

Still don't know why we never loaned him like Spurs do Beckham. Always a good sub player.

Bet we drop points at West Ham. Teams doing bad always play amazing against us for some reason.[/quote']

TH14 was probably the main reason I got into football! Not sure about a loan move but he would do a lot better then Bendtner.

I don't see us losing to West Ham but we could draw. Nasri and RVP are back so the only way I see us dropping points is if we're leading by a goal and get complacent and miss a bundle of chances, then they score late on. Other then that we SHOULD win. But should is a lot different from will.

Ahhh the memories.

Walcott' date=' give him you jacket. Number 13 doesnt look right!

Bet we drop points at West Ham. Teams doing bad always play amazing against us for some reason.[/quote']

The new manager effect could well strike again...

Respuesta: Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Gotta feel sorry for Bridge though ' date=' his debut isnt going to well.

Lets hope we get another quickly as we always throw it away here.[/quote']

Was he the one who gave the penalty, too? If so, he would have been the cause of all three of the goals West Ham conceded. Not a good game at all.

It was great to see the tactical difference between Chamakh and van Persie; or rather, the latter's tactical advantage. Whereas both of them are very mobile off the ball, Chamakh runs aimlessly, van Persie always finds acres of space and his runs complement those of the wingers An excellent example was Walcott's late chance, which came from van Persie dropping deep to pull out the defense and give Nasri space to sprint from the left to right and pick up on the through ball. And whereas Chamakh normally specializes in aerial ability, an aspect that is hardly ever tapped into by our wingers (they more often look for short passes rather than crosses), van Persie is superb in his pace and finishing, which both proved essential against West Ham's high defensive line. Wenger made a great decision in opting for speed against the Hammers (Arshavin and Chamakh slow down the play too much!).

Anyway, I think watching this game was the ideal birthday present for me! :D

P.S. I also feel bad for Green, as I always do in West Ham vs. Arsenal games. He's a great goalkeeper, to me, but it just sucks for him that his defenders constantly give us easy chances. He was again the closest West Ham had to a good player. :o

Re: Respuesta: Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Was he the one who gave the penalty' date=' too? If so, he would have been the cause of all three of the goals West Ham conceded. Not a good game at all.

Anyway, I think watching this game was the ideal birthday present for me! :D

[/quote']

Yep it was Bridge that gave us all 3 goals lol.

Happy Birthday :P , I Thought we would throw this game away but we played well and a good win , lets hope we play like this against Leeds & Ipswich.

Arsene Wenger has suggested that he could surprise the fans and media with his next signing, according to Metro.

The Gunners have been linked with several defenders including Bolton’s Gary Cahill and West Ham United’s Matthew Upson in recent weeks as Wenger looks to increase his defensive options which are lacking because of the absence of Thomas Vermaelen and Sebastien Squillaci due to injury.

But the 61-year-old is believed to be looking for a defender who is experienced in the Premier League but insists that his choice could come as a surprise to everyone: “The players we have signed recently, especially the defenders like Vermaelen or Koscielny, you would never have guessed. Let us surprise you if we do something.”

And then I found this:

Arsene Wenger will make a move for Roma centre back Philippe Mexes this month as he looks to bring in much needed defensive additions to his Arsenal defence. The French international is out of contract at the Stadio Olimpico in the summer and there has been talk of AC Milan readying an offer to sign the 28 year old but now the Emirates boss is set to make an offer in the region of £4.5m in order to persuade Claudio Ranieri to sell.

The Toulouse born defender has been at Roma for six and a half years and has reportedly not been offered a new deal and Mexes is due to leave the club he has helped to three Serie A runners up spots in the last four seasons.

As well as AC Milan there is reported interest from Chelsea and a number of Ligue 1 sides back in his native France but a move to Arsenal may appeal to the former Auxerre man not least because decidedly average performances from the likes of Laurent Koscielny and Johann Djourou, and to a lesser extent Sebastian Squillaci, may mean that Mexes would have a good shot at securing a regular starting spot.

Wenger still has injury concerns over his top central defender Thomas Vermaelen and as such is reportedly frantically searching for a centre back this month and Philippe Mexes may prove to be a very wise and cost effective option that would possibly be less of a risk than paying big money for the likes of Gary Cahill and Per Mertesacker.

It's just speculation on the part of the author, but maybe, just maybe we are getting Mexes..

And then I found this:

It's just speculation on the part of the author' date=' but maybe, just maybe we are getting Mexes..[/quote']

Hmm , i liked mexes a few years ago but i dont know whats happening with him tbh , some games he can be class and then some he can be truly awfull , i think he is too risky.

I Would like us to go all out for Cahill even if we do have to pay 17m-20m but wenger wont go for it :(.

Hmm ' date=' i liked mexes a few years ago but i dont know whats happening with him tbh , some games he can be class and then some he can be truly awfull , i think he is too risky.

I Would like us to go all out for Cahill even if we do have to pay 17m-20m but wenger wont go for it :(.[/quote']

I would be very happy with Samba tbh..

But we'll need someone good and technical to partner Vermaelen..

I would be very happy with Samba tbh..

But we'll need someone good and technical to partner Vermaelen..

Yes Samba would be great aswell ' date=' Oh and i forgot to say that Wenger has already said he would rather go for a player with EPL Experience , so this could be a positive sign that we could go for either.

Samba is big and strong , Been a while since we actually had a tall CB. And i do wreckon he would fit in well.

[b']I Hope Vermaelen Gets Surgery even if it does keep him out for the rest of the season , Some may disagree but i'd rather have 1 of our best players fit and playing than constant setbacks.[/b]

Not according to Ashh.. check his thread..

Arsenal centre-back Thomas Vermaelen has confirmed to Belgian website Sporza.be that he needs surgery on his persistent Achilles problem and has tentatively set a return date for March.

The Belgian stopper has not featured for the Gunners since injuring himself on international duty in August leaving Arsene Wenger with trio Laurent Koscielny' date=' Sebastian Squillaci and Johan Djourou as his only other options in the centre of defence.

Understood to be travelling to Sweden for the operation, the 25-year-old revealed that a small tendon in his Achilles was continuing to cause him irritation and that the only solution left to the Arsenal medical team was surgery.

Arsenal have been persistently linked with several Premier League defenders since the start of January with West Ham United’s Matthew Upson, Bolton Wanderers’ Gary Cahill and Blackburn Rovers’ Christopher Samba all tipped with a switch to the Emirates.[/quote']

Hellloooo Rosicky II !!

Wow... a caughtoffside article citing The Daily Star as its source... new low?

The same author reported you lot being set to complete the signing of Samba for £8m.

Ryo Miyaichi set to join either Excelsior or Feyenoord on Loan :)

And also would be well happy to see Jagielka, Cahill or Samba join.

chamberlain article on imscouting (same star reference)

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Arsenal-beat-Manchester-United-Tottenham-Chelsea-and-Liverpool-to-Southampton-teen-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain/12916/

English players are the most overrated and Overprice players ever :mad::mad:

First Everton want us to pay 18 million for jagielka !! and Now Bolton want us to 20 million for Cahill OH MY GOD!! that's why I don't blame wenger signing french players or someone else.

I hope Arsenal sign samba instead. 8 million fair price we need a defender as soon as possible

And then I found this:

It's just speculation on the part of the author' date=' but maybe, just maybe we are getting Mexes..[/quote']

There is no chance of Mexes arriving in January. The first being his contract is out in the summer so will be a free at the end of the season, and with Wenger being cheap he would rather wait for him.

The two main reasons are he would be cup tied for the CL and we need a solid defender against Barcelona because I don't think Vermaelen will be back for the first leg. If we play Koscielny or Squillaci against Barca we have no chance. The other reason is Wenger has already said he wants a defender who has played in the PL so it won't take them three months to settle.

There is no chance of Mexes arriving in January. The first being his contract is out in the summer so will be a free at the end of the season' date=' and with Wenger being cheap he would rather wait for him.

[b']The two main reasons are he would be cup tied for the CL and we need a solid defender against Barcelona because I don't think Vermaelen will be back for the first leg.[/b] If we play Koscielny or Squillaci against Barca we have no chance. The other reason is Wenger has already said he wants a defender who has played in the PL so it won't take them three months to settle.

Exactly btw if everyone hasnt heard yet Vermaelen NEEDS surgery now so he's gonna be out 6 weeks.

Respuesta: Re: Official Arsenal Thread

There is no chance of Mexes arriving in January. The first being his contract is out in the summer so will be a free at the end of the season' date=' and with Wenger being cheap he would rather wait for him.

[b']The two main reasons are he would be cup tied for the CL and we need a solid defender against Barcelona because I don't think Vermaelen will be back for the first leg.[/b] If we play Koscielny or Squillaci against Barca we have no chance. The other reason is Wenger has already said he wants a defender who has played in the PL so it won't take them three months to settle.

Huge point. Whether everyone likes it or not, Wenger will most likely not be buying a player who is cup tied for the CL. This means he'll probably have to look to some place like Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga for options.

http://footballblog.co.uk/gareth-bale-theo-walcott-walcott-winger-premier-league.html

Theo Walcott is quite simply the Marmite Man of the Premier League! 50% of football fans think he has quality attributes, whilst 50% see him as nothing more than a player who has a decent turn of pace. If you’re an Arsenal fan, you may know more than me, but Theo Walcott strikes me as an incredibly talented player lacking in self-belief. As you will also read later in the article, Walcott compares very similarly to Gareth Bale this season, but with one fundamental difference…

I’d like to initially highlight what I think Walcott does well; the clear strengths of his game. Walcott has lightening pace, which I feel he relies on too much at times. I have no doubt that Walcott’s pace both with and without the ball is a superb attribute to have in what is an increasingly fast paced game. It is difficult to name any players who are quicker than Walcott in the Premier League. He shows maturity on the pitch, perhaps something that has been instilled since his move to Arsenal in 2006. Whilst I do not mind admitting I dislike Arsene Wenger in many ways, his ability to spot and nurture potential in young football players is sensational. Walcott is good in possession of the ball; showing he can confidently pass the ball and maintain possession in keeping with Arsenal’s style of play.

There are a few key aspects to Theo Walcott’s game which if improved would put him right up with the best wide players in the Premier League. Firstly, Walcott’s final pass lets him down; when you consider the number of excellent positions he can get himself into. Walcott is equally happy coming deeper to collect the ball and beat a player, or playing on the shoulder and bursting into space in the channels. What often follows such scenario’s is a poorly placed final pass that results in the goal scoring opportunity being lost. I do believe that this is something Walcott is improving. Two assists in yesterday’s 3-0 victory over West Ham show that he can be composed in the final third when it counts.

Similar to my previous point, Walcott at times seems to lack composure and belief in front of goal. When you consider his pace and ability to craft scoring opportunities, 15 goals in 100 games is not an outstanding record for a player like Walcott. You get the feeling that Walcott is always looking to play somebody else in, instead of adding a ‘selfish’ side to his game; one I feel would drastically improve his success in front of goal.

Whilst we could assess Walcott’s game in a deeper context, the main problem essentially comes down to one thing… Consistency. The 21 year old can at times look unplayable, but can anyone honestly say that this happens anywhere near frequently enough? Walcott will follow an outstanding individual performance with a lackluster and frustrating performance; and I just wish we could see the best of Walcott week in week out. Whilst it may not be completely appropriate to compare Theo Walcott with Gareth Bale, the two players are expected to produce similar things. Both are expected to get chalk on their boots (play in wide positons). Both are expected to beat opposition full-backs and create chances in front of goal for themselves and others. Statistically in the Premier League, you can barely separate each of them this season. Walcott’s six goals are only one shy of Bale’s seven. Simiarly Walcott’s four assists are one better than Bale’s three this season.

However, one startling fact is that Walcott has played 1252 minutes LESS than Gareth Bale in this season’s Premier League. Considering the hype that has been made about Gareth Bale this season, the statistics show Walcott has has had an equally successful season having played an incredible 21 hours less football than Bale!

I do not think Walcott has reached his full potential yet, but I am an advocate of the fact that he could without doubt become the Premier League’s best and most threatening wide-man. I also think that so much is being made of Gareth Bale when he has achieved little more than Theo Walcott in this season’s Premier League. Granted, the hype surrounding Bale has also been based on his performances in the Champions League, but I do not think he is significantly better than Walcott, but simply has more belief in his own ability.

An injury-free Theo Walcott playing on a regular basis is something I cannot wait to see. I believe that Walcott will finish this season with better Premier League statistics than Gareth Bale, despite playing 21 hours less football. One thing is for certain; Southampton have produced and subsequently lost two of the most exciting wingers in the Premier League. Hopefully those who still think Theo Walcott is a waste of space can be persuaded to think otherwise!