Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

It's quite strange that you two have such contrasting views over Djourou and Mert. It's not like you're disagreeing slightly' date=' it's like:

"Djourou wins most of his headers!"

"Djourou wins hardly any of his headers!"

Interesting to read :)

I don't believe that it's this year or never for Arsenal, you'll be there or thereabouts again next season but Wenger MUST break some of his principles. [b']Think it's just coming down to stubborness now[/b], everyone wanted him to sign a GK and a CB, so he didn't. He's in charge, it's my rule.

Completely agree. Saw rumours that arsenal were going to bid 20 mil for reina and 25 mil for navas but wenger would never spend that much money on 2 players.

IMO wenger has put so much faith in his young players he probably feels that he would betray them if he signed someone for 20 mil or a 30 yr old.

Also imo arsenal need a GK, decent, experienced cbs, a viera like cm and a hernandez like fwd.

Admittedly any improvement to our kindergarten fence (with the exception of old timer Squilla) is good-however whats this love affair with Mertesacker? Isn't he a bit slow for the prem? Anyway things to consider the home grown rule and the Uefa financial fair play..would not these be a stumbling block to overhauling of the side during the summer?

Btw just saw the supporters association giving Arsenal low marks on treatment of supporters and ticket prices may be on the rise-not sure if its wise given how things are panning out.

It's quite strange that you two have such contrasting views over Djourou and Mert. It's not like you're disagreeing slightly' date=' it's like:

"Djourou wins most of his headers!"

[b']"Djourou wins hardly any of his headers!"[/b]

Love it when people take what I say out of context... 'Isn't winning as much as he should be" means something else.

I get sick of borderline 6 footers beating him at set pieces, and that's our primary weakness, I reckon that we're the Prem side with the highest percentage of goals conceded from set pieces.

As for the love affair with Mert:

- He'll be cheap (1 year left on his contract).

- He's a 'better option' to anything we already have

- He's proven (and regularly) in the CL and for one of the world's best international defenses

- He's not injury prone

So hope that clears up for anyone why I'd take him over Mexes or someone similar - as for fast CBs, who was the last lightning fast CB we had? Kolo, Sol, Gallas etc. - none have been your archtypal fast defender, unliek our wingbacks. Vermaelen is pretty fast, but for us it's not about pace - positioning, tackling and marking ability, ability to nullify aerial threats and (importantly) composure are more important attributes. The CBs don't join in every rushing attack, that's what our wingbacks and mid/attack are conditioned for - we've got the fluent attack sorted to a tee, but we need a solid defense, not one that ventures forward for every deep free kick or corner.

EDIT: @arampage, home grown rule counts for nothing if we ditch a CB like Squillaci, and in terms of financial fair play rules, Arsenal as a club are nearly 100% unliekly to be affected due to high turnover, minimal losses and low spending - how would bringing in a sub £15m player affect us? :confused:

would love to see hazard come to arsenal, he fits everything arsenal is about. yes he is young as well, but he is already approaching world class, so it would not renig on Wengers philosphy and get us a quality young player.

problem is wenger is never going to sign an experienced defender or GK, which we need. Wojchiech will be good 2nd chocie i think, but almunia and fabianski need the boot, and we need to sign a Neuer or hell even a bad *** younger like de gea.

Lastly a veteran defender, a proven title winner and europe star, that will not only bring stability in his position, but will give the team that depth and guidance it needs so badly to mesh into a solid trophy winning outfit

So hope that clears up for anyone why I'd take him over Mexes or someone similar - as for fast CBs' date=' who was the last lightning fast CB we had? Kolo, Sol, Gallas etc. - none have been your archtypal fast defender, unliek our wingbacks. Vermaelen is pretty fast, but for us it's not about pace - positioning, tackling and marking ability, ability to nullify aerial threats and (importantly) composure are more important attributes. The CBs don't join in every rushing attack, that's what our wingbacks and mid/attack are conditioned for - we've got the fluent attack sorted to a tee, but we need a solid defense, not one that ventures forward for every deep free kick or corner.

[/quote']

big agreence here, while i dont think metresacker is the right option, speed is not at the tippt-top of my priorities when im looking for a CB. i want the wingbacks to be lightning, like clichy (aside from his obvious flaws hes F'ing fast) but the CB's need to be tall, strong, tough, hard tackling rocks to scare and knock the **** out of attackers and to stop aerial threats. Vermaelan is okay in this regard, and djourou will be (needs to bulk a little imo) but thats where gallas really was world class, and thats what we need.

I would like to see Mertesacker, Sakho and Hazard in Arsenal colours. Why? Mertesacker as has already been stated by Spam. Hazard, is world class (in the making), has stated he would like to play for Arsenal. Sakho (the next Thuram) awesome defender, have always liked this guy, he is versatile on the left side, so can cover for Vermaelen or Clichy when they get injured (and they will), strong into a tackle, also seems to have a cool, level head and as a bonus can score goals (3 already his season), also contact has already been made between the two clubs (12M apparently). Plus all three have European experience and are on the international stage. A proper Goalkeeper is needed but whom, Neuer is an option, but for how much? Lloris? I also wouldn't mind bringing in Mavuba for Denilson/Diaby

My Dream Team

Neuer

Sagna - Mertesacker - Vermaelen - Clichy

Song

Fabregas - Wilshere

Hazard ------------------- Nasri

Van Persie

Subs

Djourou, Sakho, Mavuba, Arshavin, Walcott*

(Walcott*, converted to a Fwd)

Some of this is interesting to read about opinions on players. I agree with Spam on Mertesacker. I never used to like him but now I think he is one of the best. With Bremen doing poorly, he might want another challenge?

I think a terrier like DM would really help you lot. Diaby and Denilson aren't good enough for a team like Arsenal. None of you have really mentioned someone for that position but I can't think of somebody for that position at the moment :o

Some of this is interesting to read about opinions on players. I agree with Spam on Mertesacker. I never used to like him but now I think he is one of the best. With Bremen doing poorly' date=' he might want another challenge?

I think a terrier like DM would really help you lot. Diaby and Denilson aren't good enough for a team like Arsenal. None of you have really mentioned someone for that position but I can't think of somebody for that position at the moment :o[/quote']

M'vila, Although I'd like an experienced hard nut in there that actually goes in for great tackles.

Aitken' date=' Sakho recently signed a new contract, And as for Neur I think he's going to Utd or Bayern. I'd like Diego Lopez or Adler.[/quote']

That's alright, just means he will cost a little more, Diego Lopez would be alright and Adler, both have the added advantage of never having to get injured during International games, since they aren't starting for their respective National teams. Either way it was more my dreams then reality, dreams are free....

M'vila' date=' Although I'd like an experienced hard nut in there that actually goes in for great tackles.[/quote']

I was thinking along the lines of an experienced, tough, passionate player. The team has enough technical brilliance. I watched the FA Cup tie and Arsenal were playing the silky passes and the fantastic dribbles. An out and out goal poacher. Thiago Motta for the DM? He is a real pest and makes the tackles. There might be a good goal poacher in the Arsenal youth ranks because there never is attacking ability lacking for Arsenal.

I think you're all forgetting a replacement for Fabregas ;) Reckon Nasri will take the helm though...

Szczesny

Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Clichy

Song

Nasri - Wilshere

Hazard ---------------------- RVP

Chamakh

would be my guess with Gibbs replacing Clichy if the Frenchie leaves. Strong line-up IMO. Kosc will keep learning and Chamakh should be fully settled by next year (look at Ade's record for you since joining).

Might as well throw in my own two cents, whatever it's worth (about two cents, I believe :P). The situation so far with Hazard puts the Belgian in a rather comfortable likelihood of joining. Of course, with Fabregas probably leaving and his inevitable replacement being Nasri, and with Rosicky also on his way out, the door is open even wider for a Hazard-ous move. See what I did there? ;) I still prefer RvP over Chamakh as striker, contrary to Stuart's post; Walcott providing pace and Hazard technique makes a good mix, and no one to me can replace the Dutchman's lethal finishing.

Szczesny

Sagna --- Mertesacker --- Vermaelen --- Clichy

Song----------

----------Wilshere

Nasri

Walcott ----------------------------------- Hazard

RvP

Seems almost everyone still puts injury prone Walcott/RVP and now Vemaelean in their sides. If you insist on building a team which can win the championship with them who are there subs -since these will be getting to play at least 20+ games due to injuries?

Oh if we are playing fantasy footie might as well as Etoo as a striker would be nice..

Szczesny

Sagna Djourou Vermaelen Baines

Song

Ramsey Wilshere

Nasri RVP Walcott

IN:

Baines Jagielka Parker

Drogba*

Hiddink

OUT:

Denilson

Diaby

Rosicky

Squillaci

Clichy

Bendtner

Wenger

Fabregas

*Totally unrealistic but he'll be leaving the chavs in the summer and we need a powerful front man...At least if we signed him he'd stop scoring against us.

Actually cant believe people still want Sczesny to be our goalkeeper..., Yes He has been good at times but we really need a world class goalkeeper and Sczesny isnt at this level atm and maybe he will in years to come but we cant wait more years for a player to develop so we can actually win something.

Actually cant believe people still want Sczesny to be our goalkeeper...' date=' Yes He has been good at times but we really need a world class goalkeeper and Sczesny isnt at this level atm and maybe he will in years to come but we cant wait more years for a player to develop so we can actually win something.[/quote']

I think Sczesny can be and will be a top GK, yes he's had his moments but its quite refreshing to see a young goalkeeper with huge potential given a chance especially at this level.....Other teams are often too quick to dismiss these players, you only have to look at Foster, once of united now one of the top keepers in the league

Might as well throw in my own two cents' date=' whatever it's worth (about two cents, I believe :P). The situation so far with Hazard puts the Belgian in a rather comfortable likelihood of joining. Of course, with Fabregas probably leaving and his inevitable replacement being Nasri, and with Rosicky also on his way out, the door is open even wider for a Hazard-ous move. See what I did there? ;) I still prefer RvP over Chamakh as striker, contrary to Stuart's post; Walcott providing pace and Hazard technique makes a good mix, and no one to me can replace the Dutchman's lethal finishing.

[center']Szczesny

Sagna --- Mertesacker --- Vermaelen --- Clichy

Song----------

----------Wilshere

Nasri

Walcott ----------------------------------- Hazard

RvP[/center]

In truth, I was very drunk when I wrote mine and whilst I'm delighted with how legible I was, I completely forgot about Theo :P I still think Chamakh has a lot more to offer, perhaps as a strike partner for RVP? Just drop the inevitably injured one from Walcott/Nasri/Wilshere/Song/Hazard and play a 4 man midfield ;) Also think Ramsey will play a bigger part next year; great player in the making.

Actually cant believe people still want Sczesny to be our goalkeeper...' date=' Yes He has been good at times but we really need a world class goalkeeper and Sczesny isnt at this level atm and maybe he will in years to come but we cant wait more years for a player to develop so we can actually win something.[/quote']

City chose Hart over the far more experienced Given and the possibility of signing someone like Buffon. Now we have a very good keeper with the potential to be world class and he can stay with us for his whole career. It's much easier to make/find them yourself than buying them in.

In truth' date=' I was very drunk when I wrote mine and whilst I'm delighted with how legible I was, I completely forgot about Theo :P [b']I still think Chamakh has a lot more to offer,[/b] perhaps as a strike partner for RVP? Just drop the inevitably injured one from Walcott/Nasri/Wilshere/Song/Hazard and play a 4 man midfield ;) Also think Ramsey will play a bigger part next year; great player in the making.

City chose Hart over the far more experienced Given and the possibility of signing someone like Buffon. Now we have a very good keeper with the potential to be world class and he can stay with us for his whole career. It's much easier to make/find them yourself than buying them in.

What, like standing still and watching the game pass him by?

What' date=' like standing still and watching the game pass him by?[/quote']

Always treat the first season as a settling season (though some players get to grips with things sooner). He's shown some glimpses of quality and I think he'll be much more consistent next season. You just need to stop being Arsenal and throw a few crosses in! :P

Always treat the first season as a settling season (though some players get to grips with things sooner). He's shown some glimpses of quality and I think he'll be much more consistent next season. You just need to stop being Arsenal and throw a few crosses in! :P

We do throw a few crosses in occasionally. Unless it's bang on his head he won't get to it, his movement is terrible.