Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Arsenal Gossip

ARSENAL V SUNDERLAND : Match Preview.

A few years ago, Arsène Wenger could have used many words to describe Roy Keane but “calm” would not have been one of them.

The Irish midfielder was the clenched-fist captain of the Manchester United side which fought toe-to-toe with Arsenal at the top of the Premier League for the best part of a decade. His battles with Patrick Vieira, relatively recent memories, are already becoming the stuff of footballing folklore.

Having retired and taken the managerial reins at Sunderland, Keane will be locking horns with Wenger for the first time on Sunday. The Black Cats won promotion last season but have already begun their predicted struggle in the top flight. They’ll need an injection of Keane’s energy on the pitch and the maintenance of his new-found serenity in the dug-out if they want to survive.

“I was impressed with what he did last year,” said Wenger at Friday’s press conference. “He took on the club in a difficult position and turned it round in an extremely convincing way. This year the challenge will be different. It is very tough for a young manager and if he copes with that he will certainly have a great career in management.

“I always felt he had the kind of charisma to lead the team as a player and that is a big asset. As a manager, I didn't know how he would get on with dealing with the press and the directors, but I was sure he could handle the players.

“Would he have enough patience for all the rest? You don't know. But he looks surprisingly calm.

As a player he was a more impulsive guy, but in the final part of his career he tried to change that. You could see he was trying to dominate his impulsive side. That certainly helped him to start as a manager."

Wenger will draw from the same squad that scrapped so hard for a win at Steaua Bucharest. However a number of others are very close to fitness. Jens Lehmann (elbow), William Gallas (groin), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) and Alex Song (calf) will have returned to full training by the time Arsenal kick-off at Emirates Stadium on Sunday. Eduardo (groin) will follow a few days later.

So far Arsenal have played 12 games this season — 11 have been victories and the only draw came at Blackburn on August 19. Tuesday’s win at Steaua was not only their ninth in a row but it was the first time the famous Romanian club had lost at home to and English side.

Inevitably, the manager is already being forced to field questions about going unbeaten throughout 2007/08. Given he was misquoted on the same issue in 2002/03 but then achieved it a season later, you can understand his caution.

“The comparison is that we have not been beaten for nine games and no more than that,” he said. “The comparison is about us showing consistency and going game by game, not be complacent and very highly focussed on what we want to achieve. Certainly there is potential and the belief is stronger than on the July 4 when we started training.

"It is a matter of how hungry we are and how long we can sustain it.”

• Replies 59k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• infernito

• JCAFC

• 123_ABC

• Lordy -RBA-

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Arsenal Thread A team that managed to overhaul a 13 point gap from their neighbours and finish above them last season, after the worst start in the clubs history, decide to improve thei

Re: Arsenal Gossip I can fully understand where Wenger is coming from and I appreciate it's not an ideal time to give a composed and informed interview so soon after that incident. While there is mer

Re: Official Arsenal Thread Very unimpressive list of England internationals, which may explain why the NT itself has been rather unimpressive for the last few decades. Villa is a EPL club from th

I think the score will be ermmmm

Arsenal 5 Sunderland 0

Tbh:D

That might be a bit over the top m8. Yes i expect Arsenal to win and i expect them to win convincingly but they are not in Derby's class with all due respect to Derby, Sunderland are much better organized at the back than Derby.

But we will have to wait and see.;)

P.S - If Arsene Wenger is reading this i would be very happy with 5-0 though. :D:P

I also don't think he will buy him as it isn't Wenger style he buys young and brings them to the next level he doesn't just buy next level players and that is probably why we are the richest club in the Premier league.

Luka Modric just turned 22. He is young enough. And of course if Wenger wants him he has enough funds to buy him. I wanted to say that it is not so certain because Modric isn't as cheap as for example Lassana Diarra so he would have to violate his principle. I was also expressing my concerns over that because you have plenty of players in the middle and imo that isn't good for Modric and his playing time.

Luka Modric just turned 22. He is young enough. And of course if Wenger wants him he has enough funds to buy him. I wanted to say that it is not so certain because Modric isn't as cheap as for example Lassana Diarra so he would have to violate his principle. I was also expressing my concerns over that because you have plenty of players in the middle and imo that isn't good for Modric and his playing time.

I knew how young he was when i posted my last comment but what i meant was Wenger likes to buy players very cheap (under 2 million) and then produce great players from them that is what he has done with Cesc Fabregas because he is one of the best CM in the world now and Wenger bought him from Barcelona for a fee that was reported to be around 50k and for what he is now it looks like a good peice of bussiness. ;)

Guest the plummer

Good luck a suppose playing a team who will be bottom half , looking forward to all your storys about how good some players are coz they scored a hat-trick againts sunderland:)

ARSENAL 2 - 0 SUNDERLAND

Arsenal are dominating the game and Van Persie smashed home a thunderbolt of a free kick which put Arsenal 1 goal ahead. The second goal came on 14 minutes and from the unlickly source of Senderos he was leaning back and he scuffed it but they all count.

Great start for Arsenal and we are basically ensured of a win.

What a game, had me on the edge o my seat.

Arsenal did get a bit unlucky the oof side decisison and all and they did hit the post twice and Wallcot missed a sitter but on the whoe good performance from both sides.

And hats off to Sunderland 4 fighting till the finish.Must say it was a very close game.And its just a matter of time before arsenal slip.

yh great game when we went 2 up i thought 5-0 then in the last 15 minutes i wouldve took 3-2!!! surprised sunderland came back in it so they did well. but liverpool dropped points!!!! and chelsea are quite behind us so we should be happy.

You r comfortable now mate with chelsea and liverpool dropping piomts but don't forget Mantud are still breathing down ur necks and r in hot pursuit. :D

You r comfortable now mate with chelsea and liverpool dropping piomts but don't forget Mantud are still breathing down ur necks and r in hot pursuit. :D

We are still out ahead of the pack but may i just say that Chelsea didn't drop points they beat Bolton 1 - 0. But we are still going well and we are looking like a force not to be messed with. We are looking like a tittle winning team this year and i think Liverpool are slowly starting to drop out so it could well be a 3 horse race but i think when push comes to shove it will be down to the old rivals Man United and Arsenal.

i love the van persie goal what a free kick

Yeah that was a stunning goal and let's face it justice was done because we scored after the referee awarded the free kick so we were unlucky because we would have scored if the ref played advantage so justice was done.

But yes it was a wonderful kick from a wonderful player.

see I was right in a way

Yea h u were right about it being tighter i never saw what happened and i don't think anyone did but it was much tighter than i thought it would be. Arsenal had a great start going 2 up in 15 minutes and i then thought this could be fun another 5-0 on the cards here but Sunderland came back and all credit to them and they probably deserved a point for there efforts but you can't relax at all against a big club and Van Persie punished them at the end. They played very well and made it a good game but all round just looking at the points it was another great result for Arsenal.

if you think about it we should be delighted if we finish 2nd or even 3rd because we were expected to finish 5th but as an arsenal fan your going to get abit greedy so lets just go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here an other arsenal fan :)

i think if we finish 2nd it would be really great like you said gav nav because with this young squad you will know in the future that your team will be a hit come arsenal!!!!

here an other arsenal fan :)

i think if we finish 2nd it would be really great like you said gav nav because with this young squad you will know in the future that your team will be a hit come arsenal!!!!

Yeah before the season m8 if someone offered us second place we would have been delighted with it. But after this start we want the tittle and i can only see it is going to be us or United so i think we have a garunteed second place now we just have to push extra hard to stay ahead of United.