Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Guest Arsene Wenger Arsenal

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

i agree. its not bad to have a leader, its actually positive. When a team plays well then its ok. but of course when you have only one good player then that's a problem. But we have some good players and we have also sagna, wilshere, verm etc

i agree. its not bad to have a leader' date=' its actually positive. When a team plays well then its ok. but of course when you have only one good player then that's a problem. But we have some good players and we have also sagna, wilshere, verm etc[/quote']

We also have Chamakh :P jk.Tbh I don't think it's impossible for us to get in the top 4.

I think you'd need a whole new defence to do that.

Vermaelen - Just as as good as Kompany

Merte - Just as good as Toure

Koscielny - Better than Lescott

Sagna - Better than Richards

Kolarov - Indeed better than Santos or Gibbs

All we need is a LB in my opinion .. It's not the defenders that aren't good enough , the coaches aren't good enough for a club like Arsenal !

All we need is a LB in my opinion .. It's not the defenders that aren't good enough ' date=' the coaches aren't good enough for a club like Arsenal ![/quote']

No, no, no and no.

And to your last statement your defenders aren't good enough and i'm sure the coaches are good enough - and i can't see why anybody would even think that as the problem.

All we need is a LB in my opinion .. It's not the defenders that aren't good enough ' date=' the coaches aren't good enough for a club like Arsenal ![/quote']

Vermaelen - Never fit

Neither Mertesacker nor Koscielny are as good as Lescott (very underrated player).

Sagna may be better than Richards (debatable on this season's form) but he's out for a good few months.

Santos can't defend.

Your first choice defence is rarely if ever fit and your back-ups simply aren't good enough.

City can field a second string back 4 of Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Savic, Kolarov; United: Rafael, Jones, Evans, Fabio; Chelsea: Ferreira, Ivanovic, Alex, Bertrand.

Arsenal's is Jenkinson, Djourou, Mertesacker, Gibbs who are all either inexperienced, past it or dreadful.

Vermaelen - Never fit

Neither Mertesacker nor Koscielny are as good as Lescott (very underrated player).

Sagna may be better than Richards (debatable on this season's form) but he's out for a good few months.

Santos can't defend.

Your first choice defence is rarely if ever fit and your back-ups simply aren't good enough.

City can field a second string back 4 of Zabaleta' date=' Kolo Toure, Savic, Kolarov; United: Rafael, Jones, Evans, Fabio; Chelsea: Ferreira, Ivanovic, Alex, Bertrand.

Arsenal's is Jenkinson, Djourou, Mertesacker, Gibbs who are all either inexperienced, past it or dreadful.[/quote']

I agree with very little you said there .. You are saying Ferreira, Ivanovic, Alex, Bertrand and Rafael, Jones, Evans, Fabio are better than Jenkinson, Djourou, Mertesacker, Gibbs ? You took it too far , haha

Yes , City's back-up defence is better than Arsenal's but I don 't think its even fair to compare the two as , let's admit it , without money city would still somewhere around 6th and 10th place ..

I did agree with Santos not being able to defend , BUT , he's managed to score , something that Clichy didn't manage to do at Arsenal in 4 years .. And If you watched the game yesterday , Yes , he did make some mistakes , but he did ok defensively as well , blocked Mata and Sturridge almost every time ..

There is no way Lescott is better than Koscielny and I am a fan of Richards but it's gonna take him another two or three years to get to Sagna's quality and defensive knowledge ..

To be honest , I do not like to Argue with ya, as out of all the top teams in England , the only team I haven't got anything against is City .. I appreciate what Mancini has done there and the players he has brought it :)

Vermaelen - Never fit

Santos can't defend.

City can field a second string back 4 of Zabaleta' date=' Kolo Toure, Savic, Kolarov; United: Rafael, Jones, Evans, Fabio; Chelsea: Ferreira, Ivanovic, Alex, Bertrand.

Arsenal's is Jenkinson, Djourou, Mertesacker, Gibbs who are all either inexperienced, past it or dreadful.[/quote']

Given that you spent £24m on Lescott, I think it's difficult to say that he's underrated :o

I've never been too impressed with him, he's always come across as big and clumsy. I'd take him ahead of Mertesacker and Koscielny though.

I agree with very little you said there .. You are saying Ferreira' date=' Ivanovic, Alex, Bertrand and Rafael, Jones, Evans, Fabio are better than Jenkinson, Djourou, Mertesacker, Gibbs ? You took it too far , haha[/quote']

Yes...

Yes ' date=' City's back-up defence is better than Arsenal's but I don 't think its even fair to compare the two as , let's admit it , without money city would still somewhere around 6th and 10th place ..[/quote']

That's beside the point. With money Arsenal would probably be the best team in England.

I did agree with Santos not being able to defend ' date=' BUT , he's managed to score , something that Clichy didn't manage to do at Arsenal in 4 years .. And If you watched the game yesterday , Yes , he did make some mistakes , but he did ok defensively as well , blocked Mata and Sturridge almost every time ..[/quote']

I watched the game. Sturridge was able to jog past Santos. He's a shocking defender. Clichy has proved at City that he can defend and he's not bad at all going forwards and putting crosses in. The main difference is the protection given to the defence. At City, the whole midfield (including Silva and Nasri) get back and do their defensive duties which allows our full-backs to get forward and cause problems. Santos particularly has a gung-ho attitude to going forwards and leaves big spaces behind him.

There is not way Lescott is better than Koscielny and I am a fan of Richards but it's gonna take him another two or three years to get to Sagna's quality and defensive knowledge ..

To be honest ' date=' I do not like to Argue , as out of all the top teams in England , the only team I haven't got anything against is City .. I appreciate what Mancini has done there and the players he has brought it :)[/quote']

To be honest, comparing man for man is always going to lead to disagreements and is by and large a pointless exercise. City have conceded 8 goals this season; United 12; Chelsea 15; Liverpool 11 and Spurs 14. Arsenal have conceded a massive 21 :eek: It's obvious from that (and considering Szczesny's a pretty good 'keeper) that your defence (or defending) is by far the worst of the top 4 contenders. Only Bolton have conceded more and they've had the toughest fixture list possible.

Yes...

That's beside the point. With money Arsenal would probably be the best team in England.

I watched the game. Sturridge was able to jog past Santos. He's a shocking defender. Clichy has proved at City that he can defend and he's not bad at all going forwards and putting crosses in. The main difference is the protection given to the defence. At City' date=' the whole midfield (including Silva and Nasri) get back and do their defensive duties which allows our full-backs to get forward and cause problems. Santos particularly has a gung-ho attitude to going forwards and leaves big spaces behind him.

To be honest, comparing man for man is always going to lead to disagreements and is by and large a pointless exercise. City have conceded 8 goals this season; United 12; Chelsea 15; Liverpool 11 and Spurs 14. Arsenal have conceded a massive 21 :eek: It's obvious from that (and considering Szczesny's a pretty good 'keeper) that your defence (or defending) is by far the worst of the top 4 contenders. Only Bolton have conceded more and they've had the toughest fixture list possible.[/quote']

From what I see neither of us is gonna give up , so let's just end this haha ..

We conceded so many because we clearly don't have our usual starters at the back .. The defense as I see it when everyone is fit :

Sagna - Vermaelen - Koscielny - Gibbs , when these players are fit you'll see that our problems will be solve and we should definitively try and strengthen our defense in the next transfer window . We're lucky enough we have quality players going forward .. And also Wilshere is out , he's also an important factor as he's often playing as a Dm and helps the defense a lot!

It was just my opinion mate , I got into an Argument as I don't like non-arsenal fans just trying to start these kinda things on our Thread , I've never done it on other threads ( Apart from United's , haha ) so I don't think its fair for other people to do it !

Regarding the best defensive teams in the league I'd rate them at this.

1. Man United - Smalling, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra

2. Chelsea - Bosingwa, Terry, Ivanovic, Cole

3. Man City - Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov

4. Arsenal - Sagna, Vermaelan, Mertesacker, Gibbs

5. Tottenham - ...

6. Liverpool - ...

Regarding the best defensive teams in the league I'd rate them at this.

1. Man United - Smalling' date=' Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra

2. Chelsea - Bosingwa, Terry, Ivanovic, Cole

3. Man City - Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov

4. Arsenal - Sagna, Vermaelan, [b']Koscielny,[/b] Gibbs

5. Tottenham - ...

6. Liverpool - ...

The only change I'd make to that list is in bold ..

We conceded so many because we clearly don't have our usual starters at the back .. The defense as I see it when everyone is fit :

Sagna - Vermaelen - Koscielny - Gibbs ' date=' when these players are fit you'll see that our problems will be solve and we should definitively try and strengthen our defense in the next transfer window . We're lucky enough we have quality players going forward .. And also Wilshere is out , he's also an important factor as he's often playing as a Dm and helps the defense a lot![/quote']

When will that defence ever be fully fit though? Your back-ups clearly aren't good enough and the players Arsene has bought recently (Mertesacker and Santos) are horrible defensively.

It was just my opinion mate ' date=' I got into an Argument as I don't like non-arsenal fans just trying to start these kinda things on our Thread , I've never done it on other threads ( Apart from United's , haha ) so I don't think its fair for other people to do it ![/quote']

Call it a discussion ;) The forum's very very boring without them...

Guest Arsene Wenger Arsenal

come on guys Per is a very good defender, he isn't just another player. He needs some time to adapt and the circumstances don't help him. Sagna and Verm, the best defenders of arsenal are out injured and Arsenal has a bad defence. He has to do all the work in a new team in a different league, which is quite hard. Give him time, he is going to be better game after game and finally be a very good defender for us.

To call Per horrible is just exaggeration. Two two high profile mistakes? Fine, you can call it a bad day for him. But there are numerous other occasions in other games in which his good performances outweigh the one yesterday.

Also, least we forget how full handed our CB were in the first half. Not only do they have to mark people in the box, but also take care of our wings when we got beaten (which happened quite often). The Terry goal maybe was more preventable though, but still. We were always weak against crosses and long balls.

Santos though is still a big question mark. Though I have to see Gibbs play better before I can rule Santos out.

EDIT: And the statement about Clichy...I don't think he is that bad of a defender as we claim. But the point is we could use the money from selling him to get a better LB.

When will that defence ever be fully fit though? Your back-ups clearly aren't good enough and the players Arsene has bought recently (Mertesacker and Santos) are horrible defensively.

Call it a discussion ;) The forum's very very boring without them...

I would say horrible is pretty harsh. Merte's had some good showings and i know you're pointing this all at his mistakes against Chelsea, yes they were bad but it doesn't mean all in all Merte's terrible. As for Santos we knew he wasnt the best defensively when he signed, he hasn't played too much so hopefully he'll improve..

I would say horrible is pretty harsh. Merte's had some good showings and i know you're pointing this all at his mistakes against Chelsea' date=' yes they were bad but it doesn't mean all in all Merte's terrible. As for Santos we knew he wasnt the best defensively when he signed, he hasn't played too much so hopefully he'll improve..[/quote']

He's far too slow for the Premier League IMO.

Santos is far from young. If he's never been able to defend so far in his career why would he start now?

He's far too slow for the Premier League IMO.

Santos is far from young. If he's never been able to defend so far in his career why would he start now?

Never said he was young, just said he hasnt played much for us. I don't know why he would start now but i can only hope.?

I totally agree with you

Most of those goals were conceded when either Verma or Sagna or Song weren't playing or even all three. so yes.

How about the entirety of last season where City conceded 10 goals fewer?

It's all very well to say players were injured but when players like Vermaelen are rarely fit it's hardly an argument. It's like saying Hargreaves was a good signing for United because when he played he played well.