Official Arsenal Thread

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Yes...

To be honest' date=' comparing man for man is always going to lead to disagreements and is by and large a pointless exercise. City have conceded 8 goals this season; United 12; Chelsea 15; Liverpool 11 and Spurs 14. Arsenal have conceded a massive 21 :eek: It's obvious from that (and considering Szczesny's a pretty good 'keeper) that your defence (or defending) is by far the worst of the top 4 contenders. Only Bolton have conceded more and they've had the toughest fixture list possible.[/quote']

We just give to much space I think we just need to improve our left back position.Our Center backs aren't so bad worth getting another one? Not really.

Sagna is a ace but Jenkinson has potential but lack experience same with Gibbs.

Our defense isn't the greatest defense and could improve but really they aren't so bad.

• Replies 59k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• infernito

• JCAFC

• 123_ABC

• Lordy -RBA-

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Arsenal Thread A team that managed to overhaul a 13 point gap from their neighbours and finish above them last season, after the worst start in the clubs history, decide to improve thei

Re: Arsenal Gossip I can fully understand where Wenger is coming from and I appreciate it's not an ideal time to give a composed and informed interview so soon after that incident. While there is mer

Re: Official Arsenal Thread Very unimpressive list of England internationals, which may explain why the NT itself has been rather unimpressive for the last few decades. Villa is a EPL club from th

How can you really argue that your defensively more solid than Man. City :confused:

Man. City's defence is very solid, and very hard to get chances to break down. When we played Arsenal we were the better team, we had plenty of chances to score and really should have done so. Against Man. City i don't think we had a shot on target.

City's defence was solid throughout last season, helping them to the FA Cup in the end. Your defence saw you bottle it in the Carling Cup final. You've conceded 13 goals in your three games against sides in the other top 6 (Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea).

Consistantly high profile mistakes come from your defence - Koscienly, Djourou, Mertesacker, Andre Santos, Jenkinson whilst Man. City don't have that problem. They've got experience at the back and they've got ability at the back in probably the best defender in the division in Vincent Kompany. Whilst Szczesny is probably the highlight of your defensive line he flaps at a lot and should have been sent off against Chelsea whilst Joe Hart's performances are consistantly uncriticisable. To add to that you haven't got a strong defensive midfield players besides Alex Song, whilst Man. City have the likes of Nigel De Jong, Gareth Barry and Yaya Toure to boast.

So you think Arsenal's defence is better than City's despite conceding over 2 and a half times as many goals in just 10 games?

in terms of man for man and the defenders themselves, your no better than Arsenal however its not that simple.

You defend as a team and Man Citys team have been performing far better than Arsenals this year.

Obviously back ups are the difference and Mertesacker is simply hidious beyond words however when you have a blank chequebook you can afford to have great backups.

I agree if Arsenal spent money like the other big clubs they would be the best around however they are still up there even when they dont spend big money unlike some clubs who would be as insignificant as their history suggests without money. ;)

BBC Quote

Arsenal's majority shareholder Stan Kroenke has lavished praise on the Glazer family at Manchester United. "They won. And they have increased revenues by a huge amount. If I was a fan of that club, I would go 'wow'. Because how could you do it any better?" he said.

LINK to the full Sun article.

So Kronke says a couple of things that inerest me in that article

Firstly:

And they have increased revenues by a huge amount. If I was a fan of that club, I would go 'wow'.

Ticket prices has incread 42% at Old trafford in that time - they also now force all season ticket holders to buy home cup game tickets - regardless of whether the person wants them or not (£42 to watch Man United B v Crawley, anyone?)

Secondly:

Jerry Buss took money out of the LA Lakers. So what?

He talks about American sports owners taking money out of clubs...oh dear :)

It's a tad worrying for the average Arsenal fan if he admires the strategies above - as you could be facing increased ticket prices so that he can take money out of the club.

Attendances have dwindled a bit this season after the poor start we had' date=' he'd be a fool to try increase ticket prices at a club where prices are already sky high yet the team arent winning trophies.

Is tonights game on sky? Anyone have any good links post them pretty please! :)[/quote']

Here's one http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/89449/1/watch-arsenal-vs-olympique-marseille.html .

Clichy has proved at City that he can defend and he's not bad at all going forwards and putting crosses in. The main difference is the protection given to the defence. At City' date=' the whole midfield (including Silva and Nasri) get back and do their defensive duties which allows our full-backs to get forward and cause problems. Santos particularly has a gung-ho attitude to going forwards and leaves big spaces behind him.[/quote']

I think this passage has most of the point in the whole debate. It is team defence that makes the difference (e.g. wing backs are not a problem if you have a reliable DM that backs them up). Currently Arsenal's midfield doesn't defend well enough. Note that Arsenal has also been a terrible set pieces team in both ends. Attack-wise explained by losing both Nasri and Fabregas. Defending set pieces is another question. There may be problems related to too many squad changes in short time.

And Santos is doing well !

Way to jinx it!

Am I right in thinking that Arsenal (at least in their recent games) have fielded players with 11 separate nationalities? Sometimes even 14 when you include the 3 substitutions.

I remember one time a few years when a fairly big deal was made when Arsenal did this, now they seem to do it fairly regularly.

Way to jinx it!

Am I right in thinking that Arsenal (at least in their recent games) have fielded players with 11 separate nationalities? Sometimes even 14 when you include the 3 substitutions.

I remember one time a few years when a fairly big deal was made when Arsenal did this' date=' now they seem to do it fairly regularly.[/quote']

Alot of English clubs do this. Cech, Bosignwa, Terry, Luiz, Torres, Malouda, Mikel. 7 of the different nationalities that Chelsea played against Arsenal. Only 2 English players like us aswell.

Alot of English clubs do this. Cech' date=' Bosignwa, Terry, Luiz, Torres, Malouda, Mikel. 7 of the different nationalities that Chelsea played against Arsenal. Only 2 English players like us aswell.[/quote']

I know that, I mean when it's 11 different nationalities in one starting 11, ie no two players from the same country. Used to be rare, now seems common place for us at least.

:confused: Last 20 mins' date=' obvious both were just playing for a point. 4 points from Marseille the wrong way round :P[/center']

We looked really solid at the back today , Would like to see the fallowing back line for the West Brom game..

Jenkison - Mertesacker- Koscielny - Vermaelen

Also the fallowing line-up came to my mind :

Djorou - Mertesacker - Vermalen - Koscielny

4 Centre backs .. should give it a go :D

We looked really solid at the back today

Seriously? Your centre-backs did well but Jenkinson passed it to a Marseille player more often than an Arsenal one and Santos was dreadful. Amalfitano saw so much of the ball and had so much space when he came on and then when cover eventually arrived it wasn't Santos getting back, it was Song or Arteta. He's decent going forwards but he's just not a defender.

Seriously? Your centre-backs did well but Jenkinson passed it to a Marseille player more often than an Arsenal one and Santos was dreadful. Amalfitano saw so much of the ball and had so much space when he came on and then when cover eventually arrived it wasn't Santos getting back' date=' it was Song or Arteta. He's decent going forwards but he's just not a defender.[/quote']

If I was you , I'd worry about what City are doing in the CL .. I'm starting to dislike city , and It's all because of you !

If I was you ' date=' I'd worry about what City are doing in the CL .. I'm starting to dislike city , and It's all because of you ![/quote']

We're doing OK and I still think we'll progress.

If you want to keep burying your head in the sand then that's cool and you don't have to read my posts actually analysing your performances. Stick me on ignore or something. United fans did the same about their defence; only saw the good bits of their performances and berated the few people who pointed out how fortunate they'd been. Then City battered them 6-1 and they all looked a little silly. Just saying...