Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

I don't want to slate your intelligence' date=' seeing as I have no idea who you are, but if starting a center midfielder who prefers to come inside onto his right foot instead of a wide player who can consistently beat players 1v1 against a team who play three defensive midfielders but lack cover on the flanks seems like a good idea to you...[/quote']

Your mockery amuses me considering you completely missed his point :)

He isn't saying that Rosicky should have started and Ox shouldn't, he's saying Milan were that much better that it didn't really make a difference.

I started a new career recently and its hard to follow games like I used to.

My opinion may not be so relevant but every time I check results I lose a bit more faith in the board and the manager.

I used to love Wenger for being loyal with the "I didn't see it" stuff. But now theres something clearly going on and I would like to know if he made an agreement and has a quota to fill each season, if its pressure from the board or if he's really getting twisted and tight fisted in his old age.

For us to go from solid 1-0 Arsenal, to championship winning/competing Arsenal, to Average Joe's gym punching bag Arsenal is ridiculous. You have to have continuity. Man U still have the Giggs/Scholes/Ferdi's peppered with upcomimg Jones and welbecks'. We got Rosicky and Arshavin's with too many young players.

I think Arsenal are following the Ajax business model of producing young players and selling them on while signing older experienced players for continuity. They had a new stadium to finance also. The problem is they're 6th in the league and have been a poor side for years.

We all want something new to happen, some have mentioned training methods/coaches which would be good. But like someone else mentioned, if we keep letting our best players go and replace them with average ones how can we compete and what are these new coaches gonna do with turds? Polish them?

Sorry for the Essay guys I could go on forever, At least with the 1-0 days we didn't get embarrassed and had a fortress. Clubs come to the emirates and have fun, they should be dreading the fixture like an away game to Istanbul!

The transfer policy is terrible, imagine if Man U came in for Wilshere one day? We gave City their Spine and helped them push us further down the pecking order then sign Santos and Mertesacker when Cahill would have been better than the two of those jokers.

If O'Neil or Fergie were managing the team there would be more backbone and better results, maybe Wenger doesn't have confidence in his players, he knows what it takes. Petit calls it every time, players with no mental strength etc. I cant help but think they are a product of their environment though. Ashley Cole had Sol Campbell, Pires and Vieria all around him when he came through. Kieran Gibbs has got Rosicky and Song to learn from, big difference.

sign Santos and Mertesacker when Cahill would have been better than the two of those jokers.

Sorry but this bit is ridiculous. It's amazing how quickly people forget the fact that Santos was doing very well before his (unnecessary) injury. And whilst Mertesacker hasn't had a great start, he had been improving before his injury and given the fact he's been capped for Germany around 80 times, i think we can expect more from him. Cahill might well be english but he's also a dreadful defender. I know english players solve everything but ,in this case, i think we dodged a bullet. And our biggest issue this season has been midfield, not defence. Not nearly enough creativity and not nearly enough protection for defence. Watch on Saturday and see how much space there is between defence and midfield and you'll see what i mean.

I started a new career recently and its hard to follow games like I used to.

My opinion may not be so relevant but every time I check results I lose a bit more faith in the board and the manager.

I used to love Wenger for being loyal with the "I didn't see it" stuff. But now theres something clearly going on and I would like to know if he made an agreement and has a quota to fill each season' date=' if its pressure from the board or if he's really getting twisted and tight fisted in his old age.

For us to go from solid 1-0 Arsenal, to championship winning/competing Arsenal, to Average Joe's gym punching bag Arsenal is ridiculous. You have to have continuity. Man U still have the Giggs/Scholes/Ferdi's peppered with upcomimg Jones and welbecks'. We got Rosicky and Arshavin's with too many young players.

I think Arsenal are following the Ajax business model of producing young players and selling them on while signing older experienced players for continuity. They had a new stadium to finance also. The problem is they're 6th in the league and have been a poor side for years.

We all want something new to happen, some have mentioned training methods/coaches which would be good. But like someone else mentioned, if we keep letting our best players go and replace them with average ones how can we compete and what are these new coaches gonna do with turds? Polish them?

Sorry for the Essay guys I could go on forever, At least with the 1-0 days we didn't get embarrassed and had a fortress. Clubs come to the emirates and have fun, they should be dreading the fixture like an away game to Istanbul!

The transfer policy is terrible, imagine if Man U came in for Wilshere one day? We gave City their Spine and helped them push us further down the pecking order then sign Santos and Mertesacker when Cahill would have been better than the two of those jokers.

If O'Neil or Fergie were managing the team there would be more backbone and better results, maybe Wenger doesn't have confidence in his players, he knows what it takes. Petit calls it every time, players with no mental strength etc. I cant help but think they are a product of their environment though. Ashley Cole had Sol Campbell, Pires and Vieria all around him when he came through. Kieran Gibbs has got Rosicky and Song to learn from, big difference.[/quote']

yea Arsenal trying to be like Ajax-----in transfer terms which is good bussines/but Ajax also is poor after 94-95 season when they produced amazing generation,VDS,Seedorf,Davids,Finidi etc..........so if u want bussiness u can forget trophys,MU invested big money in DDG,Lindergard,Jones,Nani,Valencia,Chicharito,brothers da Silva,but they keep players that they buy---Rooney ,Berbatov etc so u have solid spine of team on which they add few players and sell unnecesarry like Brown,Oshea,.....and Arsenal have sold spine of team.........so u cant expect nothing...........Mertesacker is average CB ,his only advantage is height,but i would rather have Jones as CB,Lesscot,Richards(although more RB but great as CB) Santos was decent /but he is not player for Arsenals type of play

No' date=' he doesn't give the ball way enough.[/quote']

Doesn't make him a bad player though, does it? He's got all the attributes of a quality full back. Decent defensively, in fact brilliant when it comes to one on one, incisive runs, good crossing ability and a goal scoring threat. He's only had two months of football this season and people have written him off. Probably because they're listening to the nationalistic rhetoric of the English media who claim Wayne Bridge would have been better.

Your mockery amuses me considering you completely missed his point :)

He isn't saying that Rosicky should have started and Ox shouldn't' date=' he's saying Milan were that much better that it didn't really make a difference.[/quote']

One, I was drunk when I posted that, so that's why I was that rude. Two, you can't separate the team and the performance. Obviously playing Ox wouldn't have helped keep Ibra in check, but Milan would have had to commit two players in a wide position to keep him from taking defenders on, as opposed to the zero players who had to move wide to check Rosicky.

Wenger couldn't motivate his team for a Champions League game in Milan. And i'm not sure he does know the game to be honest.

Mup-Mick Mccarthy >>> Wenger.

I have to agree with this.

When Mick Mccarthey managed his squad to being unbeaten for the whole season, breaking records and winning the league it was one of the biggest achievements in football history.

Oh wait, have I got him confused with someone?

Go back to sleep shirley

I have to agree with this.

When Mick Mccarthey managed his squad to being unbeaten for the whole season' date=' breaking records and winning the league it was one of the biggest achievements in football history.

Oh wait, have I got him confused with someone?

Go back to sleep shirley[/quote']

That's 8 years ago, melon brain. And by motivation, i mean motivating the players to fight for their soddin shirt on a consistent basis. When was the last time your saw an Arsenal side do that? Mick Mccarthy's teams may not have had the same quality as Arsenal's but at least they gave it their all most of the time.

That's 8 years ago' date=' melon brain. And by motivation, i mean motivating the players to fight for their soddin shirt on a consistent basis. When was the last time your saw an Arsenal side do that? Mick Mccarthy's teams may not have had the same quality as Arsenal's but at least they gave it their all most of the time.[/quote']

and how did that work out for them?

That Wolves team has the players to be higher than the position they currently occupy.

Lets ask Wolves who they would prefer to be in charge. ;)

None of your posts should be taken seriously since you claimed Wenger deserves no respect.

Maybe its time he did move on but for what he has done for Arsenal you deserve to be beaten with your own feet for claiming he deserves no respect.

Btw, mods this is not trolling. Claiming you would prefer Mick to Wenger should be considered trolling, as should most things shirley says

Sorry but this bit is ridiculous. It's amazing how quickly people forget the fact that Santos was doing very well before his (unnecessary) injury. And whilst Mertesacker hasn't had a great start' date=' he had been improving before his injury and given the fact he's been capped for Germany around 80 times, i think we can expect more from him. Cahill might well be english but he's also a dreadful defender. I know english players solve everything but ,in this case, i think we dodged a bullet. And our biggest issue this season has been midfield, not defence. Not nearly enough creativity and not nearly enough protection for defence. Watch on Saturday and see how much space there is between defence and midfield and you'll see what i mean.[/quote']

I'll agree with all of this, and weren't we on like 10 game unbeaten run until santos got injured?

I'll agree with all of this' date=' and weren't we on like 10 game unbeaten run until santos got injured?[/quote']

Indeed.

Santos is a good defender, much better than the piece of porcelain that played against Milan. Sure he may have the odd hiccup and did in that 10 match unbeaten run, but he made up for it.

______

Thank god by the way! Koscielny's injury only rules him out of the Sunderland game that we will draw in. Will be back for Spurs Derby which I am not looking forward too. Koscielny is by far our best defender, and is important to us.

Players that have impressed me the most in 2012:

1. RvP

2. Koscielny

3. Oxlade-Chamberlain

4. Song

5. Szczesny

and how did that work out for them?

That Wolves team has the players to be higher than the position they currently occupy.

Lets ask Wolves who they would prefer to be in charge. ;)

None of your posts should be taken seriously since you claimed Wenger deserves no respect.

Maybe its time he did move on but for what he has done for Arsenal you deserve to be beaten with your own feet for claiming he deserves no respect.

Btw' date=' mods this is not trolling. Claiming you would prefer Mick to Wenger should be considered trolling, as should most things shirley says[/quote']

It's not worked out for him this season, hence his sacking, but overall he did a very good job at Wolves and they have a lot to be thankful for. He won't be next Arsenal manager but he's got a decent record.

On a semi related note (Mousey, don't reply to this as i'm sick of talking to you), Hiddink has gone to Anzhi Macarena which is a pity.

Meaning you've just proven my point.

Name me ten players that have been better the Szczesny.

Ohh really , I've just proven you're point ? 11th was a slight exaggeration , minuscule compared to the amount of bull you come up with on this thread , Szczesny has been pretty poor this season .. It would be harsh to blame him for the other nights result as the defense let him down badly , but he has been no where near as good as he was last season ;)

Sorry but this bit is ridiculous. It's amazing how quickly people forget the fact that Santos was doing very well before his (unnecessary) injury. And whilst Mertesacker hasn't had a great start' date=' he had been improving before his injury and given the fact he's been capped for Germany around 80 times, i think we can expect more from him. Cahill might well be english but he's also a dreadful defender. I know english players solve everything but ,in this case, i think we dodged a bullet. And our biggest issue this season has been midfield, not defence. Not nearly enough creativity and not nearly enough protection for defence. Watch on Saturday and see how much space there is between defence and midfield and you'll see what i mean.[/quote']

I did say that I haven't been following football like I used to.

I have not seen a lot of Santos and it was clear to see how much it affects our play having fullbacks out, but I would argue that if Gibbs was playing in those unbeaten games the results would have been the same. Maybe it is harsh to call Santos a joker but I wouldn't call him world class. Yes he did have a purple patch in the unbeaten run and looked great going forward (as most attacking full backs do) but the few times i've seen him, he's been caught out of position, given away free kicks with late/poor tackles and not had the fitness/pace to get back after a going forward too many times for me to think he is a consistent quality player like the solid Sanga. Do you rate them equally?

Cahill is a good player. You calling him a 'dreadful' defender is the biggest controversy here when he has never been a defender known for unforced errors or general poor defending. Dreadful is what you call Mertesacker at Arsenal. Cahill has been the best player in his team for years, put him in a team where he has similar and higher quality players around him and he'll raise his game. He's got all the attributes to be a top defender and he would suit Arsenal's style of play. Mertesaker Has improved and is great at tackling and heading but he is as slow as hell even Sami Hyypia looked faster.

You mentioned our problem being protection of the defence which I agree with, one reason why I'm not looking forward to Diaby coming back and why i'm confused that Redbull put Song in a most impressive list :confused:

At Germany Mertesacker has Khedera, Bender and Schweinsteger. Disciplined midfielders giving protection within a system that is based being defensively solid. Take him out of that and put him in a fast paced league in a team that was struggling defensively and is geared for attack playing a high line and give him a position of leadership with the added pressure that being a senior defender brings and you saw how he struggled. I think its fair to say if Mertesacker left Arsenal now you would say it was a 'dreadful' spell, not so much Cahill's time at Bolton.

I'll agree with all of this' date=' and weren't we on like 10 game unbeaten run until santos got injured?[/quote']

Are you saying that Santos was single handedly responsible for Arsenal being unbeaten for 10 games?

Don't get me wrong I like Santos and was happy when we signed him, Brazilian national, experienced. But theres a reason he's come from Turkey and Arsenal is the biggest club of his career at 28.