Official Arsenal Thread

joshylong

Re: Official Arsenal Thread

Probably if Arsenal manage to be in the top four he will probably spend less by giving some stupid excuse again which all of us are fed up with.. If Arsenal didnt manage to get top 4 he will probably be in spending spree but I doubt any top players will be willing to join Arsenal by then. That's the kind of impression Arsene Wenger always give to us :(:( All I hope is that Arsene Wenger will be willing to spend the money on either Hazard and Vertonghen or Gotze and Podolski.. If possible Hazard, Gotze and Vertonghen because Arsenal's defender is not reliable enough especially when we have players like Djourou :(

I fail to see the logic behind this loan deal. If we were going to shift him out, he should have gone in January. And we should be selling, not loaning. When the time comes to selling him, likely in the summer, his valuation would have gone down even further. By loaning him out now, we're losing an attacking option, which we're short of as it it. It's completely brain dead.

I fail to see the logic behind this loan deal. If we were going to shift him out' date=' he should have gone in January. And we should be selling, not loaning. When the time comes to selling him, likely in the summer, his valuation would have gone down even further. By loaning him out now, we're [b']losing an attacking option,[/b] which we're short of as it it. It's completely brain dead.

A very bad one.

I fail to see the logic behind this loan deal. If we were going to shift him out' date=' he should have gone in January. And we should be selling, not loaning. When the time comes to selling him, likely in the summer, his valuation would have gone down even further. By loaning him out now, we're losing an attacking option, which we're short of as it it. It's completely brain dead.[/quote']

Although I agree the timing was bad, it was due to Russian transfer window closing now and there's one scenario in which this can turn out to be good. It is that firstly, Arhsavin may have started to have a negative effect in team spirits: it is likely that he was not going to be used much in the end season and he might not have taken that well, seen his currently undeserved star status. Now, imagine that he'd actually perform in Zenit. He could, it is possible, show the skills that brought him to Arsenal in the first place. That could in fact rise his price on summer markets. Not saying that this is the most likely scenario, but it is within reasonable possibilities.

News say it is done. Zenit pays £1M loan fee plus 100% of players wages during loan to acquire Arshavin's services for the rest of the season.

Although I agree the timing was bad' date=' it was due to Russian transfer window closing now and there's one scenario in which this can turn out to be good. It is that firstly, Arhsavin may have started to have a negative effect in team spirits: it is likely that he was not going to be used much in the end season and he might not have taken that well, seen his currently undeserved star status. Now, imagine that he'd actually perform in Zenit. He could, it is possible, show the skills that brought him to Arsenal in the first place. That could in fact rise his price on summer markets. Not saying that this is the most likely scenario, but it is within reasonable possibilities.

News say it is done. Zenit pays £1M loan fee plus 100% of players wages during loan to acquire Arshavin's services for the rest of the season.[/quote']

I agree, I feel that Arshavin, still at a good age, can only improve over in Russia. Keep in mind that in Russia, he is seen in a light only the likes of Beckham can be seen. That is the media view, and of course there is some talent there. The media have so much power.

Ergo, Arshavin has a get out clause which he is likely to take. He can do the business, be the big sctick in Moscow. And he can be sold at a very good price. He has to perform to a good standard. If he doesn't (and I very much doubt that), he will go back to Arsenal who will have lost a chance to move him on. That loan deal is likely a trial. :)

I also feel that some of the Russian clubs can pay a fee which Arsenal would find hard to get in the bigger leagues of Europe. Most of them can pay very big for younger players to mould if you will. :)

Although I agree the timing was bad' date=' it was due to Russian transfer window closing now and there's one scenario in which this can turn out to be good. It is that firstly, Arhsavin may have started to have a negative effect in team spirits: it is likely that he was not going to be used much in the end season and he might not have taken that well, seen his currently undeserved star status. Now, imagine that he'd actually perform in Zenit. He could, it is possible, show the skills that brought him to Arsenal in the first place. That could in fact rise his price on summer markets. Not saying that this is the most likely scenario, but it is within reasonable possibilities.

News say it is done. Zenit pays £1M loan fee plus 100% of players wages during loan to acquire Arshavin's services for the rest of the season.[/quote']

The Russian Transfer window has nothing to do with it. He should have gone in January, one way or the other, and replaced. Failing that, wait til summer to sell him. Instead, we've kept him for an additional month, can't replace him and probably reduced his value.

Yes but why should we lose it based on one bad year? Why is everyone forgetting the previous few years? We are usually pretty consistent. Simple questions. We've been in and around the later stages of CL for years while youve been poor recently so after some success this CL' date=' you cant demand your fourth CL spot back from EPL of all leagues because we are 1st in the rankings. Anyway its quite possible for Chelsea to go through yet.

Oh yeh also you have done well throughout the CL history, I am well aware but im just saying because you havent done so well in RECENT years, particularly the 4 years listed in the coefficients table which is the years I used in my post above. Thats what has cost you the 4th spot and one good CL for italian teams doesnt mean getting the spot back. Also its Bundesliga that you have to challenge, not EPL because we are 1st like I said. The wins decades back wont matter towards getting a fourth CL spot again.[/quote']

agree,except Chelsea will drop out,they really dont have chance against Napoli believe,maybe only if referee give them 2pk in first 10 minutes,which is highly unlikely

The Russian Transfer window has nothing to do with it. He should have gone in January' date=' one way or the other, and replaced. Failing that, wait til summer to sell him. Instead, we've kept him for an additional month, can't replace him and probably reduced his value.[/quote']

I agree you should have sold him in january but I wouldnt look at this loan as too bad news. In the premiership his best days are behind him but in Russian football he can still look threatening and useful. If you had sold him in january you wouldnt have got much for him (though I still think he should have been sold and replaced there and then) but now he has a chance to raise his price tag by showing potential investors in russia he can still do the business for their club and let's face it the russian clubs aren't shy of splashing the cash. Like someone else said too it will do wonders for Arshavin's confidence as he's a poster boy in Russia he will go to a place he is comfortable in in a friendly environment in a league he can perform well in.

Basically worst case scenario he flops in Russia like he has been in the PL and you get little for him in the summer which would be the case anyway if he had stayed in the PL or he could play well in the easier league show off a bit and raise his value getting you a better deal. I'd be looking on the bright side he may be past his best but he can still do a job in a russian league.

agree' date='except Chelsea will drop out,they really dont have chance against Napoli believe,maybe only if referee give them 2pk in first 10 minutes,which is highly unlikely[/quote']

Yeh suppose so, AVB isnt the right manager for Chelsea in my opinion but I dont want to get into that in this thread. Its been a bad year for the english eh. We need to do better next CL.

At least we can hope that they decide to buy him after his loan expires .. I see it as a good move even though we didn't get rid of him permanently , this way at least Wenger won't play him anymore and make Oxlade our third choice Winger ..

A defeat will be unacceptable tomorrow , a draw , meeh not too bad , but considering we are at home we should win . The best thing we can achieve this season is pretty much 4th place , it shouldn't be too hard , we are better than Liverpool and Chelsea , and Newcastle have not got the squad and experience to consistently be up there . If Wenger does not achieve that , he needs to go .. I've said it a million times that his time is up , I understand that with the squad we currently have we cannot expect him to win trophies , but loosing to Ac Milan 4-0 is a bit too much . Hopefully his experience will show and manage to gather a good run of results .

Case mentioned here how it could turn out to be good but Wenger just never wanted him around.

Wasn't his purchase

Hardly used at all

Upset his creche

Has an opinion

Most managers would have loved to use an Arshavin

What? Arsene had tracked him for a while, he was an automatic selection for the first year and a half he was here, and Arsene is nothing close to an authoritarian manager who becomes upset when one of his players "has an opinion."

From swiss ramble:

20%2BArsenal%2BWages%2BGrowth.jpg

While Arsenal could almost certainly afford to pay transfer fees for new players, there remains the question of whether they could also afford to pay the wages. On the face of it, this should not be a problem, as Arsenal’s wage bill of £124 million is one of the highest in England. Although it is £29 million lower than Manchester United’s £153 million, that was inflated by performance-related bonus payments, so the real difference is much lower.

That said, Arsenal’s wage bill in 2010 of £111 million was overtaken by both Manchester City £133 million and Liverpool £114 million, plus it was considerably lower than Chelsea’s £173 million, though that should reduce following the departure of a number of senior players.

The pressure to compete is obvious by the deterioration in Arsenal’s wage to turnover ratio from 46% in 2009 to 55% in 2011. Although this is still one of the best in the Premier League, it is the logical result of flat revenue and 20% growth in wages (12% last season alone).

Given the magnitude of Arsenal’s wage bill, it seems strange that they do not pay top dollar to their star players, but this is due to a couple of factors. First of all, Arsenal have a very large squad with a vast number of “young professionals”, but more importantly they operate an equitable wage structure, which means that the best players are not particularly well remunerated (by modern standards), while fringe players like Abou Diaby, Thomas Rosicky and Marouane Chamakh are handsomely rewarded for their efforts. Not only does this reduce the money available to attract world class players, but it also makes it difficult to move on under-performers, hence loans for Bendtner and Denilson.

This approach needs a root and branch review, as it cannot be adjusted for an individual player or others will soon demand equivalent pay rises. This is a concern with some key players entering the final year of their contracts like Robin Van Persie, Thomas Vermaelen and Theo Walcott. Van Persie has already complained that Arsenal will not pay “enormous amounts of money”, hinting that this encourages a player’s decision to “go elsewhere.” This issue was tacitly confirmed by Wenger, “I cannot today say that if we go to the maximum we are sure to sign a player.”

---

So much for Arsene's economics diploma.

Man Utd has a much better wage structure where they reward their youngsters only if they deserved it (performs well). And pay their top stars, top dollars. Unlike paying depressed wages to RVP but overpaying many other players in the squad.

Arsenal simply pay a comparative huge wage for youngsters and boast about cheap transfers deals, as a result... it is very difficult to make these players move on and nobody wants to meet their wages, i.e. Bentdner/Almunia/Diaby/Chamakh/Denilson/Squid blabla.

Useless players on 50k/week, can easily cost 1Million each in less than 6 months.

From swiss ramble:

20%2BArsenal%2BWages%2BGrowth.jpg

While Arsenal could almost certainly afford to pay transfer fees for new players' date=' there remains the question of whether they could also afford to pay the wages. On the face of it, this should not be a problem, as Arsenal’s wage bill of £124 million is one of the highest in England. Although it is £29 million lower than Manchester United’s £153 million, that was inflated by performance-related bonus payments, so the real difference is much lower.

That said, Arsenal’s wage bill in 2010 of £111 million was overtaken by both Manchester City £133 million and Liverpool £114 million, plus it was considerably lower than Chelsea’s £173 million, though that should reduce following the departure of a number of senior players.

The pressure to compete is obvious by the deterioration in Arsenal’s wage to turnover ratio from 46% in 2009 to 55% in 2011. Although this is still one of the best in the Premier League, it is the logical result of flat revenue and 20% growth in wages (12% last season alone).

Given the magnitude of Arsenal’s wage bill, it seems strange that they do not pay top dollar to their star players, but this is due to a couple of factors. First of all, Arsenal have a very large squad with a vast number of “young professionals”, but more importantly they operate an equitable wage structure, which means that the best players are not particularly well remunerated (by modern standards), while fringe players like Abou Diaby, Thomas Rosicky and Marouane Chamakh are handsomely rewarded for their efforts. Not only does this reduce the money available to attract world class players, but it also makes it difficult to move on under-performers, hence loans for Bendtner and Denilson.

This approach needs a root and branch review, as it cannot be adjusted for an individual player or others will soon demand equivalent pay rises. This is a concern with some key players entering the final year of their contracts like Robin Van Persie, Thomas Vermaelen and Theo Walcott. Van Persie has already complained that Arsenal will not pay “enormous amounts of money”, hinting that this encourages a player’s decision to “go elsewhere.” This issue was tacitly confirmed by Wenger, “I cannot today say that if we go to the maximum we are sure to sign a player.”

---

So much for Arsene's economics diploma.

Man Utd has a much better wage structure where they reward their youngsters only if they deserved it (performs well). And pay their top stars, top dollars. Unlike paying depressed wages to RVP but overpaying many other players in the squad.

Arsenal simply pay a comparative huge wage for youngsters and boast about cheap transfers deals, as a result... it is very difficult to make these players move on and nobody wants to meet their wages, i.e. Bentdner/Almunia/Diaby/Chamakh/Denilson/Squid blabla.

Useless players on 50k/week, can easily cost 1Million each in less than 6 months.[/quote']

Really nice post, and yeah something needs to change with the wage structure. It doesnt make sense when compared to other clubs.

How about this is a forum and questioning someone's opinion is generally the done thing? 2+ 2 = 4. Play players where they're meant to be played. We've fiddled around with players positions for far too long.

I do think its better to play players in their right position but Ashley Cole was a striker and Gibbs was a midfielder. I guess sometimes it can pay off. Flamini and Diara were excellent at full back. Playing players of that ilk out of position makes them want to go elsewhere though.

Booing your own players is wrong and i don't condone it. Do you think i'm fickle enough to say "oh' date=' we're on an unbeaten run, what a great manager Wenger is", and then we go on a bad run and then i change to "We're on a bad run, sack Wenger now"? No. I've wanted him gone since the middle of the 08/09 season due to the defensive midfield fiasco (it's amazing how some things never change, isn't it?).

Wenger, when he goes, should go altogether. If we kept him ,in any capacity, he'd find a way of holding us back. Moyes has done brilliantly at Everton, 3rd longest reigning manager in the Prem, so i don't follow that argument. Rogers needs to do more in the game, as i said, so he's not a realistic option but he deserves more respect then Wenger does. Don't look back at what someone's done, judge them on what they're doing now. Frankly, the club doesn't deserve better. Robin Van Persie deserves better. Arsenal is run by odious little cretins who should be lynched.[/quote']

I'd rather Ancelotti, Ranieri even Keegan over Rodgers lol.

I dont see why Rodgers deserves MORE respect than wenger.

It cant be easy watching who will play worse; Chamakh, Arshavin, Rosicky, Squilaci or Djourou

Edit: Plus living with the pressure of being nearly men and failed title challengers when the truth is... It was NEVER going to be a challenge...EVER

News say it is done. Zenit pays £1M loan fee plus 100% of players wages during loan to acquire Arshavin's services for the rest of the season.

I guess Wenger couldn't resist a bargain, £1m and 100% wages?

I'm not sad to see him go I though we should have moved him on and played Vela ages ago. Maybe there was something said in the dressing room? Nothing like a bit of dissent to seal a transfer.

The timing is retarded though Infernito is right, Wenger didn't even get a chance to raid Chelsea's bench again.

More games for AOC it seems which could be the silver lining... Gervinho back from African Cup should mean Arshavin wouldn't have played anyway.

Interesting post from evoked87. I wanted one last summer maybe this summer i'll have my player exodus...

Players I want out:

Diaby £6.6m, Arshavin £9.7m (dont come back), Squilaci (free - terminate him and play miquel or £1.8m), Chamakh (free or £7m), Diaby (really want him out), Denilson (£4.4m), Bendtner £6.6m (would rather have him in squad then Chamakh)

Players I would swap:

Miachi from Bolton can help fill the Arshavin/Benayoon void

Bring back Kyle Bartley from loan at Rangers to cover Squilacci

Bring back Lansbury from West Ham to cover Benayoon (not like for like I know but Randall can kind of do that)

Song for a proper DM £21m,

Walcott £15m

Possible buys

Sessignon £11m (looks consistent)

Cavani £24.5m (might make RVP stay)

Doumbia £20m (sell Walcott £15m)

get some new coaches with new ideas in,

Looks about £30m in sales minimum, that can get Cavani in and we could swap sell theo for Doumbia and buy Sessignon

RVP, Cavani and Doumbia would rule :D

Values from transfermarkt.co.uk