Guest Abdel Zizi

Re: 99-Rated Players - A Journey Through Time

Top 5 ever:

1) Pele

2) Di Stefano

3) Maradona

4) Puskas

5) Beckenbauer

Garrincha comes in at 8 behind George Best and Eusebio.

Fair enough, not my favorite top 5, but defendable at least.

I do believe Gerd Muller is the greatest striker in the history of football, before the likes of Di Stefano and Puskas.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: 99-Rated Players - A Journey Through Time No Garrincha?

Re: 99-Rated Players - A Journey Through Time That's what I thought.

Ronaldo was the best striker in the history of football,see here:

http://www.marca.com/debate/2009/09/439/prevotaciones439.html

http://www.marca.com/2009/09/09/futbol/1adivision/1252521738.html

And in 80's,PLATINI,Zico and GULLIT ,maradona was Overvalued player,he was only best in 1986 world cup,see here

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/wsoc-awards.html

World Player of the Year in the 1980s:

80-85: PLATINI(World Player of the Year in 1983,1984,1985)

86-89:Ruud GULLIT(World Player of the Year in 1987,1989)

Another like ZICO,BASTEN,Paolo ROSSI ....

Maradona was best in 1986,but in 80's,PLATINI named three World Player of the Year ,he was NO1

And about ronaldo the fenomeno,he was best player of the 90's,and best player ever:see here

Ronaldo “Greatest of all time” by Petenaldo

http://www.ronaldohome.com/2009/12/ronaldo-greatest-of-all-time-by-petenaldo/

And a problem,ronaldo the fenomeno is not a retired player ,and his Knee Injuries when he played in 1999.11.21.Though he was back in 2002,but he never nearly his peak since 1999.11.21,since 2002, scandal,weight about ronaldo was never stopped,but RONALDO can be destroyed but not defeated!

He was greatest player since Pele,and never change,he will become greatest football player when he retired.

Guest Abdel Zizi

Ronaldo was the best striker in the history of football' date='see here:[/quote']

So because Marca says it, it has to be true?

I was a very big fan of Ronaldo when I was a kid.

Nobody needs to tell me what his contribution to football is.

But better than Muller? Puskas? Messi?

Hell no.

So because Marca says it' date=' it has to be true?

I was a very big fan of Ronaldo when I was a kid.

Hell no.[/quote']

Well, that might be my opinion, but I think he was WAY better Messi, although Messi is still young and has lots of potential. I'm a RM fan, but also I'm not sure if Puskas was better than Ronaldo with Muller being debatable. That might be my opinion, but he certainly deserves to be at the top of the list or thereabouts.

P.s. although certainly not because Marca says it.

So because Marca says it' date=' it has to be true?

I was a very big fan of Ronaldo when I was a kid

Hell no.[/quote']

Ronaldo and Muller and Puskas all great player, like pele or romario,they are all best striker,but they are different,ronaldo in the 90's in his prime had best skills,speed and anything all best ever,I have seen a lot of matches aboout maradona or zico,but they never nearly ronaldo in his prime in the 90's(At Inter 97-98 I think he was a real fenomeno).In Muller and Puskas's time,football far lags behind the 90's even 80's,in ronaldo and romario'time,if you want to goal was very hard,And ronaldo was best striker in world cup ever (15 goals record).

About Messi ,he was never nearly ronaldo or other great player.Why?He never had one FIFA World Player of the Year ,but RONALDO had three,ronaldo was FIFA best player of the 1998 FIFA World Cup and best striker ,ROMARIO WAS FIFA best player of the 1994 FIFA World Cup,ZIDANE WAS FIFA best player of the 2006 FIFA World Cup,AND messi never had any Honors in WORLD CUP

And about skills,if you really was a very big fan of Ronaldo when you was a kid,you must to know that who had best skills

There have many Videos by ronaldo,I think you never seen

http://tieba.baidu.com/%C2%DE%C4%C9%B6%FB%B6%E0/shipin/

Messi and C.ronaldo are same grade,they never nearly those great player,I thinks ronaldinho and kaka are best player since 2004

Guest Abdel Zizi

Ronaldo and Muller and Puskas all great player' date=' like pele or romario,they are all best striker,but they are different,ronaldo in the 90's in his prime had best skills,speed and anything all best ever,I have seen a lot of matches aboout maradona or zico,but they never nearly ronaldo in his prime in the 90's(At Inter 97-98 I think he was a real fenomeno).In Muller and Puskas's time,football far lags behind the 90's even 80's,in ronaldo and romario'time,if you want to goal was very hard,And ronaldo was best striker in world cup ever (15 goals record).

About Messi ,he was never nearly ronaldo or other great player.Why?He never had one FIFA World Player of the Year ,but RONALDO had three,ronaldo was FIFA best player of the 1998 FIFA World Cup and best striker ,ROMARIO WAS FIFA best player of the 1994 FIFA World Cup,ZIDANE WAS FIFA best player of the 2006 FIFA World Cup,AND messi never had any Honors in WORLD CUP

And about skills,if you really was a very big fan of Ronaldo when you was a kid,you must to know that who had best skills

There have many Videos by ronaldo,I think you never seen

[url']http://tieba.baidu.com/%C2%DE%C4%C9%B6%FB%B6%E0/shipin/[/url]

Messi and C.ronaldo are same grade,they never nearly those great player,I thinks ronaldinho and kaka are best player since 2004

Messi did win the FIFA player of the year/Golden Ball this year.

And he's only 22, he has anoter 13 years or so ahead of him.

You don't always have to throw Ronaldo's stats around.

I just can't belive people actually compare Ronaldo to Pele or maradona.

I mean, statsguy above me, Pele!

Wanna compare Pele's stats with Ronaldo's?

Ronaldo was speed and strenght.

Pele was everything, the equivalent of pure perfection playing football.

Messi did win the FIFA player of the year/Golden Ball this year.

And he's only 22' date=' he has anoter 13 years or so ahead of him.

You don't always have to throw Ronaldo's stats around.

I just can't belive people actually compare Ronaldo to Pele or maradona.

I mean, statsguy above me, Pele!

Wanna compare Pele's stats with Ronaldo's?

Ronaldo was speed and strenght.

Pele was everything, the equivalent of pure perfection playing football.[/quote']

Messi never won FIFA World Player of the Year.This year he only won Golden Ball this year.

And ronaldo and pele,A BRAZIL TV named Estad o,The Estad o ask its viewers "Who was best brazil player in history?"Ronaldo won:

ronaldo:239 votes 43.93% Pele:213 votes 39.15%

http://sports.qq.com/a/20091115/000672.htm

Pele was greatest player,ronaldo was best,because his skill better than Pele.Maradona was a great player,but not best,and ronaldo not a retired player,he will become greatest football player when he retired.

Also,ronaldo won FIFA player of the year when he was 20 years old,he was youngest FIFA player of the year of all time

Guest Abdel Zizi

Messi never won FIFA World Player of the Year.This year he only won Golden Ball this year.

And ronaldo and pele' date='A BRAZIL TV named Estad o,The Estad o ask its viewers "Who was best brazil player in history?"Ronaldo won:

ronaldo:239 votes 43.93% Pele:213 votes 39.15%

[url']http://sports.qq.com/a/20091115/000672.htm[/url]

Pele was greatest player,ronaldo was best,because his skill better than Pele.Maradona was a great player,but not best,and ronaldo not a retired player,he will become greatest football player when he retired.

Also,ronaldo won FIFA player of the year when he was 20 years old,he was youngest FIFA player of the year of all time

Ronaldo's technique better than Pele?

Mate, you must be (a) joke (ing)

Never sprung to your mind that a recent poll is more likely to show results in favor of a player 30 years younger than his adversary?

Almost all the voters on such polls are kids or people who have seen Ronaldo play numerous times.

Ronaldo's technique better than Pele?

Mate' date=' you must be (a) joke (ing)

Never sprung to your mind that a recent poll is more likely to show results in favor of a player 30 years younger than his adversary?

Almost all the voters on such polls are kids or people who have seen Ronaldo play numerous times.[/quote']

Ronaldo'technique was better than pele.Ronaldo in his prime can did anything,like multi stepover, elastico ,double cut ,talonde,double lunge,double scissors ,stepover turn and other.......see these videos:

http://tieba.baidu.com/%C2%DE%C4%C9%B6%FB%B6%E0/shipin/vlist/%C2%DE%C4%E1%B9%FD%C8%CB?sort=1

And I had seen some videos abhout Pele in Youtube,but I thinks Pele never did a double lunge or elastico

See here,ronaldo's skill in the 90's in his prime:

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?z=473971505&ct=335544320&lm=0&sc=0&rn=50&tn=baiduPostBrowser&word=%C2%DE%C4ɶ%FB%B6%E0&pn=0

And Pele was greatest soccer ever,I know.If ronaldo should be in 2010 World cup he will become greatest,from 1994-2006,his was a legend in WORLD CUP,AND I must say that do you know how deeply Asian people love Ronaldo ,Chinese especially!See here:

http://ronaldoinworldcup2010.com/home.php

http://ronaldoinworldcup2010.com/comments.php

I am sorry,But I must say,china is a country with 130 million people,but in China most popular player is not Yao Ming,not Liu Xiang,not Pele,not Jordan

,is RONALDO,you can see here

Some people are mistaken in their belief that ronaldo's career not always good,like zidane.In this decade he was never nearly his prime in the 90's ,even fat,scandal......But he overcome the injuries again and again in his career,and he now played in Corinthians,23 goals in 35 games

Guest Abdel Zizi

Ronaldo'technique was better than pele.Ronaldo in his prime can did anything' date='like multi stepover, elastico ,double cut ,talonde,double lunge,double scissors ,stepover turn and other.......see these videos:

[url']http://tieba.baidu.com/%C2%DE%C4%C9%B6%FB%B6%E0/shipin/vlist/%C2%DE%C4%E1%B9%FD%C8%CB?sort=1[/url]

And I had seen some videos abhout Pele in Youtube,but I thinks Pele never did a double lunge or elastico

See here,ronaldo's skill in the 90's in his prime:

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?z=473971505&ct=335544320&lm=0&sc=0&rn=50&tn=baiduPostBrowser&word=%C2%DE%C4ɶ%FB%B6%E0&pn=0

And Pele was greatest soccer ever,I know.If ronaldo should be in 2010 World cup he will become greatest,from 1994-2006,his was a legend in WORLD CUP,AND I must say that do you know how deeply Asian people love Ronaldo ,Chinese especially!See here:

http://ronaldoinworldcup2010.com/home.php

I am sorry,But I must say,china is a country with 130 million people,but in China most popular player is not Yao Ming,not Liu Xiang,not Pele,not Jordan

,is RONALDO,you can see here

Some people are mistaken in their belief that ronaldo's career not always good,like zidane.In this decade he was never nearly his prime in the 90's ,even fat,scandal......But he overcome the injuries again and again in his career,and he now played in Corinthians,23 goals in 35 games

Okay, I get it.

Asia is very fond of Ronaldo and a lack of other knowledge but Ronaldo's will inevitably turn into something like this.

Although I think you are completely wrong, I'll give you credit for sticking with your idol, even if he is worse than Pele, Maradona, Muller and Messi :P

Peace.

Okay' date=' I get it.

Asia is very fond of Ronaldo and a lack of other knowledge but Ronaldo's will inevitably turn into something like this.

Although I think you are completely wrong, I'll give you credit for sticking with your idol, even if he is worse than Pele, Maradona, Muller and Messi :P

Peace.[/quote']

Asia is very fond of Ronaldo and a lack of other knowledge?Why?Because they like ronaldo or many people think ronaldo better than maradona?Ok.But In Italy or Spain or other Europe country also have some people think ronaldo was greatest(I know pele was greatest),they are all" a lack of knowledge"?Then many english also think ronaldo was best,and most english people all think ronaldo was better than messi,what do you think?If you think Maradona or Muller better than ronaldo,maybe some people agreed with opinion,but if you say that messi better than ronaldo the fenomeno,no one agreed with you,except people who born in the 90's

Okay' date=' I get it.

Peace.[/quote']

And please read:

Some compare him to Maradona for his spectacular ability;ohters to Zico for his technique;others even to pele for his superiority on soccer field;but ultimately.there is no other like Ronaldo.He can't be compared

http://i28.tinypic.com/161l192.jpg

161l192.jpg

Zamora 96 tops' date=' Garrincha maybe 98, just not 99.

We need to have the same idea of what's 99.

[b']I don't think more than 5 players can be 99[/b], as it's near perfection.

Pele

Muller

Maradona

Zidane

Messi

That are the 5 best players ever for me.

Okay, Messi is still young and has to win the WC one day to actually get it, but I just count my lucky stars every day to live in the Messi-era.

There is a glaring problem with that. Ronaldinho has been a 99. The only such player in fact. Regardless if you disagree with it, a player who was not in your perfect five has actually had this rating. So, I think the 99-rating does not need to be numerically constrained.

Guest Abdel Zizi

There is a glaring problem with that. Ronaldinho has been a 99. The only such player in fact. Regardless if you disagree with it' date=' a player who was not in your perfect five has actually had this rating. So, I think the 99-rating does not need to be numerically constrained.[/quote']

I realize that, but you are forgetting something very important.

Ronaldinho got a 99 in an era where he was the only very good player, besides Henry.

He stood out for 3 years, that's it.

That doesn't warrant a 99 for me.

If he had played in the 60's, he'd be a 95, nothing more, as he would have been outshone by better players.

I'm still behind my top 5 idea, because it oversees all players from all time, whilst Ronaldinho's 99 was a mistake for a 3 year contribution.

I realize that' date=' but you are forgetting something very important.

Ronaldinho got a 99 in an era where he was the only very good player, besides Henry.

He stood out for 3 years, that's it.

That doesn't warrant a 99 for me.

If he had played in the 60's, he'd be a 95, nothing more, as he would have been outshone by better players.

I'm still behind my top 5 idea, because it oversees all players from all time, whilst Ronaldinho's 99 was a mistake for a 3 year contribution.[/quote']

We can only measure the 99 in relation to the era in which a player plays. I mentioned that in the first post - we can't imagine the relative merits of Steven Gerrard playing against Duncan Edwards because the footballing habitus evolves and changes. The strikeforce of di Stefano and Puskas could well be impotent in the modern game, etc etc.

If Ronaldinho was better than his recognised world-class contemporaries, he deserves the 99 in that era.

Guest Abdel Zizi

We can only measure the 99 in relation to the era in which a player plays. I mentioned that in the first post - we can't imagine the relative merits of Steven Gerrard playing against Duncan Edwards because the footballing habitus evolves and changes. The strikeforce of di Stefano and Puskas could well be impotent in the modern game' date=' etc etc.

If Ronaldinho was better than his recognised world-class contemporaries, he deserves the 99 in that era.[/quote']

Even when the era is inferior to others?

What value does a 99 rating have then..

Even when the era is inferior to others?

What value does a 99 rating have then..

Its a measurement of an absolute, pure world-class player.

But that definition of world-class is relative to the footballing skill of the world at that time.

Its not about inferiority of one era against another. I think it was Bobby Charlton who said the modern Man Utd team would always beat their 1960s equivalent (training, skill, fitness, tactical awareness) but this does no underplay the quality 1960s Utd players had relative to the norm.

Old videos on YouTube highlight that much better than I can.

We can only measure the 99 in relation to the era in which a player plays. I mentioned that in the first post - we can't imagine the relative merits of Steven Gerrard playing against Duncan Edwards because the footballing habitus evolves and changes. The strikeforce of di Stefano and Puskas could well be impotent in the modern game' date=' etc etc.

If Ronaldinho was better than his recognised world-class contemporaries, he deserves the 99 in that era.[/quote']

Very good.I agree.Ronaldo's career can scored 1500 goals if he had played in the 60's,and never injured.And 90's was best decade of all time,zidane was best player in 00's,in 2006 world cup,he won FIFA Best player of 2006 WORLD CUP,though he was 34 years old.BUT in 1998 world cup Suker,Rivaldo were far better than him,and then was in zidane's prime.And in 94-98 ronaldo was far better than every one in history.

http://www.fifa.com/newscentre/news/newsid=71765.html

Ronaldo voted Best Player at France 98(FIFA.com) Monday 27 July 1998

Print Email my friend Share

Brazil’s Ronaldo has been voted as the best player of the 1998 FIFA World Cup.

The top ten players in the voting were :

1. Ronaldo, BRA

2. Davor Suker, CRO

3. Lilian Thuram, FRA

4. Marcel Desailly, FRA

5. Rivaldo, BRA

6. Zinedine Zidane, FRA

I thinks in their prime :TOP 5 players of all time were:

1 Ronaldo 1994-1998

2 Rivaldo 1999

3 Figo 2000-2001

4 Ronaldinho 2004-2005

5 Romario 1993-1994

Denilson,Edmundo,Djalminha,Ronaldo,Bebeto,Taffarel ,Romario,Rivaldo,Carlos,Baggio,Batistuta,Suker,Djorkaeff, Deschamps, BARTHEZ,Desailly,Chilavert,Bergkamp,De Boer,Kluivert,Owen(1998),ZOLA, Maldini,BARESI,Ali Daei,Valderrama,weah.........These great player of the 90's if play in other decade,do you think Puskas, pele,zico,maradona,Beckenbauer still great?

This may have been done before - which players may have been rated a 99 in their own time? Becoming the closest thing to a complete player?

To my mind' date=' there are eight.

[b']Players Worthy of a 99-Rating[/b]

- Ferenc Puskas

- Bobby Moore

- Pele

- Franz Beckenbauer

- Johann Cruyff

- Diego Maradona

- Zinedine Zidane

- Ronaldinho

Possible Additions

- Lev Yashin

- Franco Baresi

- George Best

- Duncan Edwards

- Lionel Messi; should achieve it soon!

- Eusebio

- Alfredo di Stefano

King Kenny would have been close, 98, maybe, Duncan Edwards isn't close, he was a gifted footballer, but he died before his time, there was no telling, he could have become a Stan Collymore. Also, Banks should be there if Yashin is :P

Guest Abdel Zizi

Abdel' date=' just a few questions?

1. Do you honestly believe that Messi now is better than Ronaldo/Ronaldinho have ever been?

2. Why do you continue to put not even the greatest player of this era to the best ever, if you think that this era is inferior :confused:[/quote']

1. Off course I honestly believe Messi is better than Ronaldo and way better than Ronaldinho.

2. It's your opinion Messi ain't the best player of this era. I believe he is, together with the second half of Zidane's career. I also believe Ronaldinho was the best in the world during his 3 year reign, but he was just an in between guy between Zidane and Messi.

1. Off course I honestly believe Messi is better than Ronaldo and way better than Ronaldinho.

2. It's your opinion Messi ain't the best player of this era. I believe he is' date=' together with the second half of Zidane's career. I also believe Ronaldinho was the best in the world during his 3 year reign, but he was just an in between guy between Zidane and Messi.[/quote']

With all due respect Abdel, I will disagree and I will state my reasons below.

Erm, I'm not a Barca fan, but Ronaldinho at his prime was way better that Messi still is (although he should be able surpass him). Messi is only 22 year and there was no year when he was the best (or at least without questions (some journalists don't count)) - even this year, IMO, both Xavi and Iniesta have been better than the little Argentine. Furthermore, Messi this season hasn't been at the level of the last season and kind of disappointed me. Not sure how can you call him one of the best 5 ever, even best of this era with him being a professional for such a short time.

I mean, there's no denying - Messi is a special player and he's the only one, who I've seen gluing the ball to his feet, but it's way WAY to early to call him one of the best ever, even the best of his decade, era or generation.

I'd love to hear your side of the story to why Messi is much more worthy to be in the Top 5 than a big host of players..