World Championship 2 MKII

Re: World Championship 2 MKII

The Return of the Prodigal Son!!!

Darn tootin' folks' date=' Bradbury's back at the helm of CSKA!!!

From [i']Pie Sports News[/i]:

Lee Bradbury has today been confirmed as manger of CSKA Moskva for a second time, replacing GeorgeECFC, who was in charge between Bradbury's tenures.

In his first time in charge, Bradbury often threatened promotion, but his CSKA team dipped in form towards the end of the seasons, and while promotion was gone, he never finished outside of the top half of the table. Bradbury told us he is looking for more consistency this time around.

He said "It's great to be back at the club. Many thanks to George, who has done well in keeping the club virtually intact. I hope I can build the team some more, and get some more consistency out of the team. I did bring the longest unbeaten run the club has had last time I was here, maybe I can improve on that this time around."

Bradbury has already started building the squad, making undisclosed bids for Spurs' Fernando Arce and Roma's Sylvain Wiltord, and injecting his trademark short, fast, attacking approach to the team.

"It's like I've never been away", he added.

No problem Lee, good luck with them and hope you carry on the form I had with them :D

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: World Championship 2 MKII Chelsea World Champ 2 Major 3 Season Update 3 more seasons have gone by since my last report on life in WC2 and I think its an appropriate time to advertise the

wc2 summary of the cup Arsenal 1(p) - 1 Besiktas We start the night of with Arsenal against Besiktas a game which had to be decided in Penalties Fredrik LJUNGBERG (43) gave the home team the adva

Re: World Championship 2 MKII Pan Sizzle Seven Past Sevilla Panathinaikos 7 Sevilla 1 (and Sevilla played full strength!!) Panathinaikos showed Sevilla the way to play football tonight! Se

cskahf8.jpg

CSKA MOSKVA - BIG MATCH INFO

CSKA v PSV Eindhoven

Lee Bradbury makes some slight changes to the line-up for his first game in charge. Gone is George's rather conservative 3-5-1-1, and in is a more orthodox 4-4-1-1. Sergei Ignashevich is dropped to the bench for a rest, and this allows Vasili Bereztusky to move to centre-half. Vadim Evseev moves to left-back, and Deividas Semberas drops from wing-back to right-back, meaning Eduardo Bruno Alves fills the other spot in the middle. Milos Krasic and Yuri Zhirkov are both rested, so Toifilou Moulida and new Juve loanee Nadir Belhadj take the right and left flanks, respectively. Dudu Cearense returns to midfield, partnering Evengy Aldonin. Daniel Carvalho sits in the hole, just behind another new loan signing from Juve, Nery Castillo. Mariano Barbosa, Ignashevich, John Bostock, Pedro Mendes and Mbo Mpenza make up the bench. Ivica Olic is rested. Cetin Servet is still injured.

PSV manager Fred Trace looks set to name an unchanged side, despite losing 4-0 to Fiorentina. PSV have no injuries or suspensions to concern themselves with.

Transfer News

• Lee Bradbury expanded the CSKA squad last night, with a double loan swoop of left-back Nadir Belhadj and forward Nery Castillo, both from Juventus, who look set to start in tonight's game at home to PSV.

Bradbury, in his usual optimistic tone, told CSKA Today "I'm looking forward to working with the lads. They haven't been drafted in as cover, or as a quick fix. They're here to add to the squad, and also so they can get some regular football. They'll be great additions for us."

• Amid rumours that Cetin Servet is unhappy at the club, Bradbury said "Cetin is just unhappy because he hasn't played. This is a good thing when you think about it - it shows he wants to play and is eager to shine, which is what you want from professionals. Once he is over his injury, he will get his chance."

• CSKA were agonisingly close to a new striker last night, after a deal for Roma's Jose Calderon was accepted, but then cancelled. There is no further news on the subject.

Quick return for George:

119.jpg

After handing CSKA Moscow back over to Lee Bradbury, George was expected to take a break from the setup.

However, he was a surprise candidate for the Marseille job, and this morning accepted a contract with the French club.

The squad is small, but decent enough for a division 4 side to comfortably acheive promotion, something they will be hoping to do.

Already transfer listed are striker Andres Mendoza and 38 year old keeper Francesco Antonioli.

Both Rene Adler (89) and Yves Makabu Makalambay (81) have been made available for loan.

George's first game in charge is tonight and sees Marseille face Sao Paulo, currently one place below the French in 11th.

The squad have been told who's starting, but the line up is yet to be released. The starting 11 will be hoping to put in a good performance and seal the 3 points or they know they may be leaving soon.

everton_badge

RIVER PLATE 2-2 EVERTON

Everton earnt a draw at the El Monumental last night against River Plate which keeps them in 1st place 1 point ahead of VfB Stuttgart.

For the first ten minutes, the Argentinian side were all over the Merseyside blue, when Johan Micoud blasted to ball at Abbondanzieri only for him to tip it onto the crossbar and catch the rebound. However it didn't take long for River Plate to break through, as, after 18 minutes on the clock Ex-Everton hitman Eidur Gudjohnsen put the Argies 1-0 up. It left Everton boss Sam Wainwright sour mouthed as Gudjohnsen who played 27 games scoring 8 goals for Everton, had put one over his old club.

It took another 16 minutes for some action to happen as Everton had clawwed themselves back into the possession game. Mansaré delivered an acute cross straight onto the forehead of Roque Santa Cruz only for it to rebound off the crossbar and into the path of inform Nuno Gomes who had no trouble slotting it into the bottom corner. Gomes' 5th goal in 9 games had brought Everton deservedly back into this tie.

A minute later Everton nearly struck again with a beautiful cross from Parker straight onto Hitzlesperger's left boot only to be denied by Christian Abbiati's elbow!

Minutes later controversy struck as Maximiliano Pereira went down in the penalty area only for referee Bruno Leroy to dismiss the calls for a penalty and waved play on.

Everton struck once more a few minutes before half time when Scott Parker beat 2 defenders and drilled it past a hapless keeper! Everton were 2-1 up and deservedly so.

Second Half:

Everton resumed pretty much where they left off at the end of the first half, the first chance of the half coming after 3 minutes when Nuno Gomes curled his shot but it shaved the post.

A quiet half as every time River Plate tried to get forward, Everton disposessed them and hoofed the ball clear.

One of the only other chances fell once again to Nuno Gomes, who skillful turned to face goal but rifled it wide.

Everton had there positive game taken away from them 9 minutes from time as Hugo Almeida had a shot from 15 yards and beat the keeper to get River Plate a lucky point.

at the end of the game Manager Sam Wainwright had this to say: "I think we were unfortunate yeah but ahwell we live on, we could've and maybe should've won tonight, but you cant win them all can you? and as for the dive in the area? I just summed it up for you."

1735912265-soccer-barclays-premier-league-everton-v-middlesbrough-goodison-park.jpg

Dissapointment for Everton...

TRANSFER NEWS

BLUES BAG BILYA

Diniyar Bilyaletdinov joined Everton last night after an absence from the Toffee's of 3 years.

Bilyaletdinov was a key figure in Sam Wainwright's 4th season in charge at Everton when he joined them on loan from AC Milan, since then he has been a target for the Blues and manager Sam Wainwright said: "It's great to have him back permanently this time."

Diniyar's Career:

• Team : Season: Games : Goals:
  • Lokomotiv Moskva : 1,2: 2 : 0
  • Inter Milan: 2,3: 2 : 0
  • Sampdoria (Loan) : 2,3 : 22 : 5
  • FC Porto (Loan) : 3 : 2 : 0
  • Milan : 3,4,5 : 7 : 2
  • Fenerbahçe (Loan) : 3 : 4 : 0
  • Anderlect (Loan) : 4 : 0 : 0
  • Everton (Loan) : 4,5 : 33 : 7
  • Besiktas (Loan) : 5 : 2 : 0
  • Marseille (Loan) : 5 : 7 : 1
  • Borussia Dortmund (Loan) : 5 : 0 : 0
  • Panathanaikos (Loan) : 5 : 0 : 0
  • Werder Bremen : 5,6,7 : 35 : 6
  • Everton : 7 : None as of yet.

cskawd9.jpg

CSKA Moskva - Big Match Report

CSKA 0-1 PSV Eindhoven

Not the best of starts for Lee Bradbury as his side fell to a Marco Engelhardt strike in the second half in an otherwise even encounter.

An uneventful first half was slightly more dominated by the visitors, but neither team could find a breakthrough. When it did come, Daniel Carvalho blasted over the bar in front of an open goal, which summed up the game for the home side, who could only muster one shot on target before the break.

It didn't improve much either after the restart. Bookings for loan signing Nadir Belhadj and Vasili Berezutsky sandwiched Engelhardt's goal, which came about after some poor defending in the 53rd minute. A PSV corner wasn't headed clear properly, and the German midfielder was there to volley it home.

To add insult to injury, CSKA will now be without Daniel Carvalho, who tore a groin muscle late on, and will be sidelined until early April.

Lee Bradbury had this to say. "Obviously I'm disappointed we lost, who wouldn't be? But it's one game out of many, and I'm sure the lads will want to improve. It wasn't the best of performances, but I know this team well, and they will be dying to impress me, and I'm not easy to impress."

Match Stats

44% Possession 56%

10 Shots on Goal 13

1 Shots on Target 4

7 Corners 5

2 Yellow Cards 0

0 Red Cards 0

Transfer News

• Bradbury made his 3rd loan signing in 2 days yesterday, with another player joining from Juventus, this time the young forward Carlos Vela.

• Bradbury has also signed 20 year-old centre back Ben Turner from Peterborough for £3million. Bradbury said "Ben's a terrific talent".

• Spurs have rejected the reported £10.8million bid for Fernando Arce.

• Instead, Bradbury has made a bid for Spurs midfielder Jermaine Jenas.

Marseille 1 - 1 Sao Paulo

The first game for George in charge of the French side was on Saturday, as they hosted Sao Paulo at the Velodrome.

Andreas Ivanschitz gave Marseille the perfect start in the 12th minute when he thundered in an overhead kick.

The lead wasn't able to last long though, with Joris Mathijsen rounding the keeper and finishing from an acute angle in the 34th minute.

The point kept Marseille in 11th.

Marseille 3 - 2 Sampdoria

The 2nd round of the cup saw Marseille up against 5th placed Division 3 side Sampdoria.

The away side went 2-0 up in the first 25 minutes with goals from Angelo Palombo and Sami Khedira.

Marseille came back to draw level before half time though, with a brace from Daniel Cousin.

Sabri Lamouchi got the winner in the 86th minute when he was left unmarked.

Marseille will face a trip to AZ Alkmaar in the 3rd round.

Transfer News:

Two players have been brought in so far, a Left Back and a Striker.

Cristian Molinaro was first to join, completing his move from Fredrikstad FK for £2 million + Andres Mendoza + Antonio Dos Santos.

Gaston Fernandez joined this morning for £2.2 million + Francesco Antonioli + Geremi.

cskagn9.jpg

CSKA Moskva - Transfer News

We're going transfer crazy here at Dinamo Stadium!!!

• After the bid for Spurs' Jermaine Jenas was rejected, CSKA boss Lee Bradbury has now turned his attention to Corinthians midfielder Henrique Fabio Simplico.

• In a deal worth £250k, Bradbury has snapped up Dutch midfield prospect Ruud Vormer. The 19 year-old, who was transfer listed by Aston Villa, has been described by Bradbury as 'A future Johan Cryuff'.

• Bradbury has also made a bid for another prospect at Villa, namely 17 year-old Brazilian forward Reis Jonathan.

cskaow5.jpg

CSKA Moskva - Match Report

Liverpool 0-3 CSKA

A classic CSKA performance was just what Lee Bradbury demanded, and it was typical that they delivered, leaving the boss delighted.

CSKA dominated proceedings from kick-off, and they got the breakthrough on 11 minutes, when Nery Castillo got his first goal for the club - an unglamourous tap-in after a scramble for the ball in the box.

15 minutes later it was 2-0. The excellent Ivica Olic hit the ball so early the keeper could only watch it fly past him into the net, and two minutes later, the woodwork denied him from doubling his tally.

The second half was filled with chances, but nothing came of them. It took until the 89th minute for Yuri Zhirkov to get the third. The Liverpool keeper decided to fumble the ball, and this left Zhirkov with no choice than to score.

Lee Bradbury said "That was what I expect week in, week out. Hopefully we can improve even further on this and have a good level of consistency in the league. At this rate, this year could be ours."

Match Stats

37% Possession 63%

17 Shots on Goal 14

11 Shots on Target 7

10 Corners 7

0 Yellow Cards 0

0 Red Cards 0

Transfer News

• CSKA have had their bid for young Villa striker Reis Jonathan rejected. The player is no longer for sale at Villa park.

everton_badge

• Everton manager Sam Wainwright is dissapointed after SK Brann whizzkid Tijan Jaiteh was snapped up under his nose by River Plate, Wainwright claimed: "It's a shame but in the end it was a better deal by River Plate so Brann were likely to accept.
  • Kiril Komborov joined Everton last night for a fee of £4,000,000. The Russian said : "It's great to get a chance in England and cannot wait for my debut though it might not come in a while but I am prepared to wait"
  • Rumours are stirring around Goodison Park that Milan midfielder Christian Poulsen is set to join the Merseyside team, an Everton insider claimed: "We have bid we are just waiting for a response from Milan"
  • Lilian Thuram was rewarded a party and a bonus of £300,000 after he made his landmark 150th game for the Toffee's. The 34 year old said: "It's been a joy to play here, I have also extended my contract to another 2 years."

282.gif

River Plate move up to 3rd with a thumping win at St James

River Plate continued their excellent start to the season with a 5-1 victory away to Newcastle. Manager Logan Shave is delighted with his team's current form, which has surpassed expectations.

River, who were expected to struggle this season after coming up from Divison 3, are currently in 3rd place ahead of Everton on goal difference.

Busy time for transfers

River have been very active in the transfer market this season, and recent purchases include:

• Jerome Boateng - up and coming young defender signed for £10M from Hamburg
  • Tijan Jaiteh - promising young Gambian midfielder from SK Brann (a controversial deal as Everton appeared set to sign him before a late River swoop)
  • Marcus Berg - a young striker who's been scoring goals for fun for Groningen. The deal saw another young striker, Razak Boukari, head the other way

cskauz7.jpg

CSKA 2-2 Sampdoria

This could easily go down as a game of two halves, but Lee Bradbury will still be wondering how his side didn't get more than just a point.

Sampdoria dominated the first half, and it took just 16 minutes for them to get the breakthrough - a terrific lob by Steven Masterton. Any chance that fell to the home side was wasted, and this was epitomised when Dudu Cearense did all the hard work, but then spectacularly missed.

The second half started badly too, as the away side took just a minute to double their lead. Some anonymous defending allowed Mike Hanke to score.

It was going to need a good performance for CSKA to get back in the game, so who better to start the ball rolling than the midfield maestro, Evgeni Aldonin? In the 54th minute, the Russian picked up on the through ball and hit it brilliantly to notch his 5th goal of the season, and match his previous best for a whole season.

That goal gave CSKA a way back into the game, and they took the opportunity. Two minutes later, Nery Castillo picking up an excellent pass and powering home off the woodwork.

From then on it was all about the hosts. Chances were coming left, right and centre, but they just could not capitalise. They will ultimately feel it was 2 points dropped.

Match Stats

48% Possession 52%

22 Shots on Goal 12

15 Shots on Target 6

7 Corners 6

2 Yellow Cards 1

0 Red Cards 0

Transfer News

• Negotiations between CSKA and Corinthians for Brazilian midfielder Henrique Fabio Simplicio are getting 'heated'. The latest offer for the 28 year-old could see Nigerian right-back Chidi Odiah go the other way.
  • CSKA have once again added to the squad by signing young striker Martin Paterson for £2.35million. The 20 year-old, who was a free agent before putting pen to paper, has full faith in manager Lee Bradbury, and said "I'm extremely happy to be at such a big club. I'm sure the manager can help me develop and push the club forwards. I'm determined to repay his faith in me by playing well on the pitch".

cskael3.jpg

CSKA Moskva - Cup Game Info

Hamburger SV v CSKA Moskva

Thomas Kahlenberg (heel) and Fuente Sergio Garcia (shoulder) are both out for the Germans, but apart from that there are no other absentees.

CSKA make no less than 10 changes to the line-up for tonight's game. The only player to keep his place is goalkeeper Antonios Nikopolidis. There are debuts for Ben Turner and John Bostock, while recent new signing Martin Paterson gets a place on the bench. Josip Tadic and Mbo Mpenza get welcome starts up front in an orthodox 4-4-2 formation.

Transfer News

• Young Turkish left-winger Ozkan Emre has joined CSKA from Hamburger SV in a deal worth £400,000. The 19-year-old, who can also play at left-back, is said to be delighted at joining CSKA, who seem to be building up a good youth development system under the new regime of Lee Bradbury.
  • CSKA have made an undisclosed bid for veteran midfielder Marc Van Bommel of Borussia Dortmund. Bradbury hopes to seal the deal very soon.

Zenit St Petersburg News

b00zxo8.png

Zenit St Petersburg faced off against fellow division 3 side Bayer Leverkusen in round 2 of the shield. Both sides had there second string of players out but it was still predicted to be a tight game. The first hour of the game was all Bayer but they hit a brick wall on 62 minutes when left back Glen Johnson was sent off for protest. Zenit then came back into the game and were favorites to knick a goal but neither side could. So the game went to penalties and Zenit tucked away 4 of theres while the off target Bayer players could only score 2. Zenit reward for the win is a home tie against division 1 side Roma. This will boost the funds of Zenit and will also be a great game for everyone associated with Zenit St Petersburg.

DEPORTIVO L.C 3-7 CORINTHIANS

290.gif

TOM'S ARMY CRUSH LA CORUNA TO MAKE NEXT ROUND

A very strong second string saw of Deportivo La Coruna last night, a game which saw Sand and Rocchi partner upfront for the brazilian outfit. Tom said that the scoreline means nothing, but the team performance is what made him proud. "I respect Deportivo are a class act for the division they are in, theyre made to eb good," "On paper we should walk over them, we did but thats not what i am chuffed about," " Team performance means alot more, and when you win with a crushing scoreline, thats nothing more than a bonus,"

Simplicio - "I want to stay,"

A goalscorer in the Shield win, Fabio Simplicio says he wants to stay under coach Tom Greenfield, and not move elsewhere after bids from CSKA Moscow are bing watched closely. " I was told to make my mind up by the coach," "They said if I wanted to leave then theres nothing stopping me, but I like it here, im settled," "I want to get this out of the way so I can consolidate a slot in the first team, and concentrate on being a team player for Corinthians Football Club,"

_42142878_cup12.jpg

cskasx8.jpg

CSKA Moskva - Cup Game Report

Hamburger SV 1-4 CSKA

A terrific performance from CSKA's second string, and a fantastic game of football at the HSH Nordbank Arena in Hamburg. It was a different style of play from the visitors - a more gutsy, full-on performance compared to the more subtle, classy style the team use in the league.

This seemed to favour Lee Bradbury's team, and while it took no less than 1 minute for Pedro Mendes to recieve a booking, it took as little as 10 minutes for Mbo Mpenza to score, with a shot from a narrow angle that was deflected into the net.

Bradbury wanted to see his reserves do well, no matter what the result, and they delivered with aplomb. On 23 minutes, Ivan Taranov - who was once regarded with having no future at the club - rounded the keeper to score from a tight angle - not bad for a centre-back.

5 minutes later it was 3-0. Mbo Mpenza got his brace with a sloppy second. The Hamburg keeper spilled the ball right into the path of the Belgian, who didn't have to put any effort into finishing.

If the first half was a storm, the second half was a hurricane, with chances - and tackles - coming left, right, and centre. On 53 minutes the hosts got a reply with arguably the best goal of the game. Mehdi Mahdavikia managed to get inside of his marker and hit a peach of a shot from 25 yards.

The game did anything but die down, but it took until the 84 minute mark for Ben Turner to score on his debut for CSKA's fourth, a shot on the rebound after the keeper could only parry.

This sensational game left manager Lee Bradbury absolutely delighted. He said "This was a brilliant game and a terrific result. For our reserves, a lot of whom are still very young, to play so well against a skilled and experienced team, it speaks volumes. I'm ecstatic".

Match Stats

46% Possession 54%

23 Shots on Goal 18

8 Shots on Target 10

9 Corners 5

1 Yellow Cards 3

0 Red Cards 0

Transfer News

• CSKA have withdrawn their offer for Corinthians' Brazilian midfielder Henrique Fabio Simplico. Lee Bradbury blamed the deal's breakdown on the 'fancy-pants negotiations' of the Corinthians manager.

263.gif 0-4 31.gif

Everton ran riot in the shield on Monday night and hope to keep it the same for tonight's game against Udinese.

First Half:

Everton started with the trio of Ayala, Thuram and Heinze for the first time this season after Heinze's shocking Leg injury. Roque Santa Cruz returned to the team. Santa Cruz has hit a magical 10 goals in 14 games since joining from Villareal last season. Debutant Steed Malbranque started alongside other newboy Diniyar Bilyaletdinov and Araujo Ilan starts his first game in 4 up front.

Spartak got off to a good start when Ivan Saenko headed just over the bar after 2 minutes on the board. It didn't take long for Everton to get out of first gear when a beautiful move started by Bilyaletdinov found Roque Santa Cruz who turned, but blasted wide. Spartak went on the attack almost instantly when Saenko drove forward, only for Ilan to dive in the way and take the ball off him. Everton shifted up another gear when a beautiful ball from Loskov, found Steed Malbranque who beat the offside trap but struck the outside of the post. Seconds later, Loskov capitalised onto a bad pass, beat Jiranek one-on-one and crossed the ball straight onto Santa Cruz's head and into the back of the the net.

_44140874_santacruz416.jpg

Goal No# 1...Santa's little helper

After the first, it was all one way traffic as Pedro Munitis slotted the ball onto his left foot and smashed the ball across the bar from 35 yards out. Once again Santa Cruz manouvered himself into space but shaved the post. Everton struck again in the 20th minute when the defenders were all over the place and Dmitri Loskov slotted the ball under the keeper and into the net.

_39573767_delaney_203.jpg

Goal No# 2...Loskov To A Good Start

Everton made a mistake at the back and Thuram managed to stop the shot going in the net. However The referee gave a corner and Ayala shouted at the referee and received a yellow card for Abusive Language.

Munitis once again got a great opportunity and blasted the ball from 25 yards but Robert Green managed to tip the ball over the bar. Everton were almost brought down to earth with a bang when Leon Osman attempted to lob Abbondanzieri only for it to hit the top of the bar. Everton managed to pounce again when Loskov beat 3 defenders and hit the upright only for the keeper to collect the rebound. Not long after that, Everton made it 3 when a Loskov corner is headed clear only as far as Thomas Hitzlsperger who hits it on the half-volley into the roof of the net!

Everton nearly made it 4 when a Loskov shot was clawed round the post by Robert Green. Once again a dagerous cross was met by a spectacular overhead kick from Loskov only for the keeper to parry it back out, only to fall to the unmarked Lilian Thuram who finishes cleverly!

Second Half:

Second half saw no changes at half time, and the game play stayed the same. Pedro Munitis struck the ball from 20 yards, only for the ball to hit the supporting post. Everton were piling on the pressure yet again when Steed Malbranque raced against the keeper to get to the ball but they clashed and what looked like a certain penalty, the referee gave the free kick to the keeper. Ilan chased the ball down the wing when Saenko made a brilliant last ditch tackle, but Ilan stayed down. Which signalled Nuno Gomes' entrance.

Moments of controversy when the ref cautions Martin Jiranek after a 50/50 challenge, Radoslav Kovac argued with the referee and picked up a yellow card himself.

Everton nearly made it 5 when Santa Cruz had a brilliant chance but struck the bar. The referee gave a corner only for Loskov to head right into Green's hands. One of the last moment of the game, with an open goal Pedro Munitis shot blazes over the bar! No wonder he's looking at the ground!

Then again, More controversy. Leon Osman was booked for a viscious tackle on Loskov, and Loskov retaliated with a push. Both players were booked but Manager Sam Wainwright claimed: "It looked to me like Osman raised his hand at Dmitri, I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just what I thought I saw."

Analysis:

Everton were outstanding, but wasted alot of chances, could've scored at least 8.

Transfer News:

• This week, saw the arrival of 6 new faces at Goodison Park. Kiril Komborov joined the club for a fee of £4,000,000. the second was Tottenham hitman Steed Malbranque for around £12,000,000.
  • Finally, Pierre Bengtsson, Lachezar Baltanov, Zoran Milovac and Marko Gorovik joined Everton last night for a combined fee of £3,500,000.

282.gif2 - 2 172.gif

River Plate stay third after a 2-2 draw with Valencia. River had to come from behind twice, with goals from Benitez and Hugo Almeida, but in the end looked as if they could take the 3 points. Unfortunately it wasn't to be, and an opportunity to move up to second place slipped away.

River set up clash with Juve in the Shield

110.gifvs 282.gif

An even game in the 2nd round of the Shield ended with Marseille and River Plate level at 3-3 after 90 mins. The game was decided with penalties and River had new loan signing Igor Akinfeev to thank for his decisive penalty saves. Ironically, Akinfeev is on loan from Juventus who will be River's next opponents in the Shield.

cskanu3.jpg

CKSA Moskva - Match Report

Olympiacos 0-2 CSKA

Lee Bradbury will no doubt be pleased with this performance, as goals from Dudu Cearense and Yuri Zhirkov sealed a 2-0 win.

CSKA had the slight edge of the hosts in the first half, but wasted several chances. They finally capitalised in the 36th minute, when Dudu Cearense simply hit home on the rebound from the goalkeeper's parry.

The second half was all CSKA, but, like in the first half, they couldn't get the ball into the goal. They had to wait until the 88th minute for Zhirkov to fire home from 15 yards.

However, CSKA will now be without midfield maestro Evgeni Aldonin for 2 weeks, after the 28-year old picked up a heel injury.

Bradbury said afterwards "It's one thing to dominate, but it's another thing to win. Fortunately, we did both tonight, and against a good side too. If we keep this up, we can go far".

Man of the match Zhirkov was also available for comment. The Russian said "I'm really pleased that we have the boss back in charge. He makes each day fun, and works hard to get the best out of us. The way we performed tonight sums it up really".

Match Stats

31% Possession 69%

17 Shots on Goal 19

13 Shots on Target 13

8 Corners 6

1 Yellow Cards 1

0 Red Cards 0

Freescoring River top the table!

After scoring 12 goals in the last 2 games without reply River sit in pole position at the top of Division 2 on goal difference.

374.gif 0 - 7 282.gif

Panathinaikos were well and truly outclassed on the day, as River put in the best performance of their season so far. A first half filled with skill and invention ended with River 6-0 up and Panathanaikos with no chance. Hugo Almeida hit a first half hat trick, while Sestak, Biglia and Benitez chipped in with a goal each. Benitez scored again in the 80th minute to complete the rout.

282.gif 5 - 0 398.gif

River Plate picked up where they left off with another fine performance against FC Shalke 04. Hugo Almeida scored again to take his tally for the season to 13 goals in 13 games. A brace for Gudjohnsen, and goals for Pereira and new boy Daniel Jensen made it 5-0. River Manager, Logan, was ecstatic with the performance and result, and stated that promotion now looks a serious possibility.

Transfer News

River Plate are pleased to announce the midweek signing of Daniel Jensen from Bordeaux. Jensen was thrust straight into first team action and didn't dissapoint with a great performance against Schalke and a goal. Jensen was signed in a straight swap deal with Dean Ashton, who was deemed surplus to requirements.

cskawb9.jpg

CSKA 4-0 Sevilla

Outstanding. Marvellous. Exquisite. These are just a few of the terms that can be used to describe CSKA's performance last night. Lee Bradbury has been wanting more consistency from his squad, and he's getting it, with four wins in five games. Not only is his team consistent, but they are, as Bradbury put it, 'excellence, multiplied by 11'.

Right from the first kick of the ball, the home side dominated. There were only four minutes on the clock when Ivica Olic tapped CSKA in front with a toe-poke.

Every single player was on the top of their game, with the midfield creating of plenty of chances for the attackers, and the defenders keeping Sevilla's attacking forces at bay, with goalkeeper Antonis Nikopolidis producing some top-drawer saves. And considering that two of CSKA's most influential players - Evgeni Aldonin and Daniel Carvalho - are out injured, it goes to show what strength in depth they have.

The first half ended on the crest of a wave. The second half started brightly, but there were not many big breakthroughs, or shots on target. Finally, on 72 minutes, the impeccable, untouchable Yuri Zhirkov popped up to score a belter from 25 yards. His sixth goal this season, and one he thoroughly deserved, given this performance.

The game looked like finishing that way, until, with 5 minutes left, Olic got his second, and Moskva's third. All of CSKA's pressure meant the Spaniard's defences eventually caved in, and a mix-up in the back four allowed Olic to get in, round the keeper, and slot home.

Three minutes later, three goals for Olic. The Croatian smashed the ball high into the net to grab his hat-trick.

Bradbury was undoubtedly ecstatic. "It's brilliant. To see the smiles on the faces of both the players and the fans is why I got into football. It's great to see a game as entertaining as this was. The team is just excellence. Mulitplied by 11."

Match Stats

71% Possession 29%

23 Shots on Goal 17

12 Shots on Target 10

6 Corners 10

1 Yellow Cards 2

0 Red Cards 0

Transfer News

• CSKA have signed Nigerian prospect Kelvin Etuhu from Deportivo La Coruna for £1.5million.
  • Not one to return the favour, Bradbury has rejected a bid from Deportivo for Dudu Cearense
  • CSKA have agreed a £5million deal to sell Nigerian right-back Chidi Odiah to Middlesbrough. The transfer is all but complete. Bradbury thanked Odiah for his services to the club, and wished him all the best for the future.

Zenit St Petersburg News

2_front_small.gif2_front_small.gif

265.gif

Zenit St Petersburg earn a point in a thrilling game

znp33gy1.png

Zenit St Petersburg faced Lokomotiv Moskva two nights ago as both sides looked to push for that all important 3 points. Lokomotiv Moskva were favorites going into the game as they were in the promotion spots while Zenit sat mid table. And Lokomotiv got off to the best possible start as they scored in the opening minute of the game. The goal scorer was Dmitri Khokhlov who smashed home a rebound after the keeper made a hash of the long range shot. Zenit got the score back on level terms 27 minutes later as attacking midfielder Igor Denisov ran behind the defensive line and casually chipped the ball over the keepers head. Lokomotive restored there lead on 37 minutes though with a goal from Yildiray Basturk, after poor defensive marking. And then only 2 minutes later Lokomotive took there advantage to 2 goals for the first time in the game when Gonçalves Manucho smashed home a cross with a perfect volley. Although Zenit got back into the game 1 minute before the break and how they needed it. A great goal from Jason Culina brought them back within touching distance of Lokomotiv. The score was 3-2 to Lokomotiv at the break. Then 12 minutes after the restart Igor Denisov scored a tap in from a yard out to make the score 3-3. No further goals were scored and both sides came away with a well deserved point.

denisov_27.jpg

(Igor Denisov scores twice to rescue a point for Zenit.)

The Table

wc2tablelj4.png

Zenit St Petersburg are currently sitting in 8th place. Promotion is still possible as Zenit are currently 7 points away from 3rd place. But relegation is also possible as they are 9 points off 18th place. Yet manager Arsenal 123 is confident that they will secure a top 10 finish.

cskall4.jpg

Deportivo La Coruna 1-3 CSKA

Quite the forgotten man at the start of the season, Pedro Mendes scored two goals to show how grateful he is for this stint in the team, sparked by an injury to Evgeni Aldonin, and also to repay the faith shown in him by manager Lee Bradbury.

An impressive start from the away side threatened a goal, but it was Deportivo who took the lead on 21 minutes, when Alves Peruchi Mauricio finished from as far away as a yard.

It was to remain that way for only 7 minutes. The impressive Dudu Cearense glanced his header just inside the far post to get a deserved equaliser for CSKA.

The teams went in at half-time level-pegging. It didn't stay like that for long after the restart. 3 minutes later, some confusion in the middle of the park allowed Pedro Mendes to stroll through and score, sliding his shot below the advancing Tim Howard.

The game then fizzed out for the majority of the half, with neither team wanting to get caught on the break. Then, with just over 15 minutes left to play, a fantastic long-range shot was palmed away from Howard, but it only went as far as Mendes, who simply tapped in to get his second and Moskva's third.

All in all, another good day for CSKA, and for Pedro Mendes, who will have surely given Bradbury some food for thought when it comes to selecting his team, once Aldonin returns from injury.

Match Stats

34% Possession 66%

16 Shots on Goal 20

6 Shots on Target 12

8 Corners 7

3 Yellow Cards 1

0 Red Cards 0

Transfer News

• Chidi Odiah has completed his move to Middlesbrough from CSKA for £5million.
  • Bradbury has used part of the money recieved to buy free agent Daniel Fox. The 21 year-old English left-back was signed in an £800k deal.
  • Young Serbian midfielder Dusan Tadic (no relation to Croatian teammate Josip) has been signed from Vojvodina for a sum of £5m. The 19-year old is billed as another future prospect - one of many joining the club's new youth development scheme.