Prudster's Guide to Reducing Wages

After reading WillC's money making guide, which talked about players wages and how much you can save on them, it got me thinking. How much could i save if i just tweaked a few parts of my squad. I was absolutely shocked how much money was going into some players. I will use my Chelsea squad as an example.

Frank Lampard is my equal highest wage earner. He earns £97,760. He was an original member of my squad. He is rated 95. One of the players i have brought into my squad is Douglas Maicon. He is also rated 95. He earns £73,600. Their wages differ by £24,160. That means if i sold Lampard and bought Maicon, i am saving £918,080 Per season :eek: (£24,160 times 38 games in a season). That's nearly one million for one season just by trading ONE player.

Your probably thinking, that can't be right. I thought the same thing. Now, i am aware that they play different positions so you wouldn't replace one with the other, but the facts stand for themselves. Selling the teams original players and replacing them with players that are the same rating, will cause the wages to drop.

Now i have only used 1 player in my squad as an example. And obviously, these are top players so the amount saved will be much greater, then if compared to players rated lower, but if you do this with your whole squad, the difference is incredible. If i sold the four players with highest wages, Lampard, Drogba, Essien and Terry, my wage bill would be reduced by OVER a third. I have just about replaced all of the players from my original chelsea squad. However, i did keep the stars. This has cost me greatly. After just 20 games in charge, i wonder how many millions have gone down the drain when i simply could have traded all the chelsea players for players of the same rating, and my wage bill would reduce by a huge amount.

I honestly think that i can get my wage bill down to about £700,000 By trading the rest of the original chelsea players. This would mean every away game i only lose about £300,000 and every home game i would earn about £500,000. This means i have gone from losing about £300,000 every time i play 2 games (1 home, 1 away), to earning about £200,000. Thats a change of £500,000 every two games.

Now i'm not saying you should sell your whole team, or part with your favourite player. But just look at the facts. Trading original players for other players WILL save you money, and with wages rising any reduction in wages is a good thing.

Re: Prudster's Guide to Reducing Wages

I did a bit of research after reading your post and I'm not convinced, here's what I found in one of my Barca squads:

Andrés INIESTA - AM/Wing - age 25 - rated 96 - Contract:2 Years - £73,600 per Turn

José FERNANDO TORRES - CF - age 25 - rated 96 - Contract:2 Years - £76,000 per Turn

Hernández XAVI - CM/AM - age 29 - rated 97 - Contract:1 Years - £98,800 per Turn

Steven GERRARD - AM/CM - age 29 - rated 97 - Contract:1 Years - £99,840 per Turn

dunno about that but when i had liverpool, i renewed the stars' contracts(gerrard, torres, reina, carragher, mascherano, skrtel, kuyt) and their wages went down to -8 to -10000 per player. For example, gerrard's was 98k and after the renew it was 92k.

If you offer MAICON a new contract then his wages will shoot up to around £96k, his £73,600 wages are probably based on when he had a 94 rating, his rating increased on 15-05-2009.

I have MAICON in two setups, his wages are £96,720 in a setup created when he was at 95 rating and £62,510 in a setup that was created prior to his rating increase.

With the new 'player concerns' coming into play is you don't renew his contract then he will eventually develop a concern wanting more money.

If your purpose is to save money then it's best not to offer a new contract until this concern develops, thus saving you money over the weeks where the player is on the reduced wage.

Actually, i bought maicon after he changed to 95. This will only work if you don't renew the contract, and sometimes won't work at all ie. the wages are the same. But many players that come into your team will get less wages as they are new. Then once they prove themselves a bit and are in the team for little bit then yes their wages will go up if you renew. That is why you don't renew for as long as possible.

I have had maicon for at least 15 turns. Now i don't know if player concerns are implemented yet or not, but he is having absolutely no concerns if they are, and if they aren't well his moral is 81/100. Now sure, eventually i might have to offer him a new contract due to player concerns, but in the meantime, how much do you think im saving? Probably like a £100,000 - £200,000 throughout my whole team. Now how long does it take for a player concern to get high enough that you have to renew contract? For what i can gather it takes quite a while, and as a new player to your squad, they agreed on these wages, so this will increase the amount of time before you have to renew wages.

I'm not saying the this saving will last forever. But look at it this way. If you can save yourself £20,000 per turn on ONE player until they get concerned, how much do you think you will save on a whole team? Even just a couple of million would be mighty helpful to buy risers and then when they rise, you get even more money.

dunno about that but when i had liverpool' date=' i renewed the stars' contracts(gerrard, torres, reina, carragher, mascherano, skrtel, kuyt) and their wages went down to -8 to -10000 per player. For example, gerrard's was 98k and after the renew it was 92k.[/quote']

Well apart from you, i've never heard of this happening before. Or at least only with a couple of players. And even so, your players are earning like 6-10k below, if u do what i've said they are earning like 20k below.

The fact is if you buy rated 90-94 player he will sign on at @43k. If you renew his contract he wage will increase to around 60k.

For a rated upward of 94 player he will sign at @73k. If you renew his contract that will rise to @95k.

Now here is the trick, say you have a team rated 90-94 & the top wage is 45k. You have a player who is on the final year of his contract, the season is ending & SM tell you to renew his wage or lose him. Now if you don't renew his contract you will find he will automatically have his contract renewed at @ 45k as this is currently your highest wage. However if you do have just 1 player on 60k or higher, it will renew the wage at a higher level. (I believe the same will apply to those on @73k but i have yet to test this out).

Now the downside to this is that by not offering a new contract you are unable to gain the boost in morale that offering a new contract would give.

I would also add that your timing in buying players is the real key to success.

Don't buy 90+ rated at the end of a season (unless you really have to) as you will lose 1 year off their contract as soon as the new season begins.

The final weeks of a season is the best time to buy players whose rating will be due to rise & therefore alter the wage they would warrant. You will find that if you buy an 89 rated player before the start of a new season, as soon as the new season starts you will be able to offer him a new contract. This way you can tie up an 89 rated player to a 5 year contract before his rise to 90. This will obviously be the same for any risers below 90. This also tends to give an immediate boost in morale.

By sussing this out, I have put together a few very good sides with sustainable wage bills, long contracts & high morale. But this of course all depends on whether having some sort of wage structure in your team is important to you.

• 5 years later...

Guide to Reducing Wages

Does anyone know if a player will reduce their wages after you've settled their concerns once and for all. I have a player on my team that is a starting 11 player but because it took so long for that to happen, and I would just keep addressing their concerns, they are now making $500,000 a week. Will that naturally go down every time I have to sign them to a new contract or are they stuck at that level permanently?