• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Lower League Players - Advice + Tips On Potential/Ratings/Ability

Guest 1CapWonder

All in all' date=' I've said it to you already, great thread - It's makes for fantastic reading. Now, I'm gonna give you a wee bit of a challenge and see what you have to say of someone who used to play for Wednesday, and who was someone I was very fond of once upon a time: [b']Drew Talbot[/b], now of Chesterfield. I don't think he's necessarily a big talent anymore, but I'm curious to see how he's getting on and what you currently make of him.

Regards,

Andy :)

Drew Talbot

4b3b4bc2-f1d3-4767-bdac-6f2919683085.jpg

Drew Talbot simply doesn't do it for me. What an opening line for you Andy, I'm sorry, but he doesn't. Where do I start on him? 23 years old, which in real life, would be considered young. Yet Talbot has had enough chances and flattered to deceive on many an occasion. I've seen him play live a fair few times, perhaps 4 or 5 I reckon in total, for Luton and now Chesterfield against Rochdale. He must have something. My question is, what is it?

At the time of writing, Talbot is injured, a suspective broken leg turned out to be knee damage, which to me suggests he could be out for some time, but I don't know. He's so far made 16 starts for Chesterfield this season, scoring 4 goals, which for him, is a pretty decent return. As you can tell, he's not a goalscorer if 1 in 4 is decent by his standards. In fact, this is his highest tally in terms of league goals, which suggests a little more faith has been put into him this year. That doesn't diminish the overall flaw in his game - What are his strengths?

When comparing Drew with fellow League 2 strikers, I feel his rating is actually 1 notch too high at 73. Back to the main question I have asked myself twice in this review alone. What does Talbot have that makes him good enough to play league football? Well he's ok in the air, and he's got a fair bit of pace, but that's all I really see when I watch him. I do remember seeing him play against Liverpool in the cup (not sure if you saw this) and he worked his socks off. Fair play, I do notice his running during games, I seem to remember him harrying Nathan Stanton into a mistake 2 years ago, forcing a corner that conceded an equalising goal, however how much can you make up for by simply running all game? His touch is poor and his ability to play simple 5 yard passes is frustrating at best. I'm sure Talbot will be a hit with the fans for the first 6 months he is at any club, but once they realise he is a Carlos Tevez without the end product, he will soon become out of favour in my opinion. Harsh but I believe fair, and I don't think he will ever hit the dizzy heights of a rating higher than 75 ever again. He's probably now found his level. League 2.

Drew Talbot Round Up:

Current Rating: 73

Rating Next Changes: 73

Potential: Level 3

Guest 1CapWonder

I've decided to give a "Future Potential Level" to every player I do a report on. Please note that this is simply my opinion, and the level's and colours will be explained below, and on the first thread. Thanks

:)

Level 10 - World Class

Level 9 - Premier League Regular

Level 8 - Premiership Quality/ Championship Class

Level 7 - Championship Regular

Level 6 - Championship Quality/Lower League Class Act

Level 5 - League 1 Standard

Level 4 - League 2 Standard

Level 3 - Lower League Journeyman

Level 2 - Non League Standard

Level 1 - Possible Drop Out

I'm happy to give examples if anyone is unsure still of the levels. Just ask :)

Thanks for your response Eliott - interesting stuff. I'm not at all surprised at what you have to say because his career has always been blighted by injuries - he was terribly injury prone even before he left Hillsborough. It's a shame, because he did show some promise in his early days and scored a memorable 4th goal for us at Cardiff that helped seal our promotion back to the Championship. But I can imagine that he's been disheartened by his release from Wednesday and his subsequent, continued injury problems, which would do a lot to stunt his development. All in all, I think you're right in saying that he's found his level at League Two.

Guest 1CapWonder

Thanks for your response Eliott - interesting stuff. I'm not at all surprised at what you have to say because his career has always been blighted by injuries - he was terribly injury prone even before he left Hillsborough. It's a shame' date=' because he did show some promise in his early days and scored a memorable 4th goal for us at Cardiff that helped seal our promotion back to the Championship. But I can imagine that he's been disheartened by his release from Wednesday and his subsequent, continued injury problems, which would do a lot to stunt his development. All in all, I think you're right in saying that he's found his level at League Two.[/quote']

Glad I could give you a neutral viewpoint. I'd like to say he's a nice guy, and he's struggled with injuries, as I'm sure he is, and I'm sure he has. Unfortunately, that's no consolation, he just hasn't shown it... I wish him the best of luck though.

Guest 1CapWonder

Hi Elliot' date=' what do you think to [b']Owain Fon Williams[/b] and Jason Puncheon?

Thanks KangarooJack09.

Owain Fon Williams

C_71_article_1085012_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

I have no doubt Owain Fon Williams is a very good goalkeeper. I recentley said Fraser Forster was on a par with the Welsh stopper. At the moment, he is, but Fon Williams has achieved SO much, SO young, that I cannot ignore his talent and abilities as a goalkeeper. Anyone else who did the same, would be crazy.

Fon Williams has been through a remarkable start to his short career. Still only 22, he has represented Wales at every age group apart from schoolboy level. He has recentley been called up into a number of full International squads and has been a trusted number 1 for 2 years now. Fon Williams has played 25 times this season. Admittedly, I saw a lot more of him last season, but if he has improved in any way from what I saw then he's well on his way.

Cash strapped Stockport County are desperate for cash, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fon Williams left this January. I would say this month is much bigger for his club than it is for him though. Williams will not want to move to a club where he will not play first team football, but he may be pushed before he can jump if County receive a half decent offer, which I think they just might. Ipswich have been linked in the past, and I think a low end Championship, high end League 1 club could take a chance on him. Age is once again, for a goalkeeper, on his side, and that is why for him to be playing League 1 football, regularly, at 22 is very very impressive.

What I found very surprising, is that he was released by Crewe. Williams is tall, and always has been quite tall, so I am surprised that Crewe let such a good goalkeeper leave so young. Stockport agreed a minimul fee for the lad, and straight away he was thrown into action. Bizarre. Usually, these young goalkeepers that play regularly are on loan from big clubs, or have come through the acadamies of the club they are playing for. I find it remarkable that Crewe completely dismissed Williams and his obvious talent, even if they did have other keepers ahead of him. They are certainly struggling at the moment :rolleyes:

His current rating of 77 is fair, and he is rated as one of County's best players on the game, remarkably, even better than Carl Baker! I find this very interesting and SM have obviously put faith in Fon Williams making a move, or County staying up. County staying up seems unlikely, the former, doesn't. So his rating is safe, providing he moves away or County stay up. If not, he could be looking at a -2, but I don't want to think like that yet. This January will determine how much Fon Williams pushes on with regards to SM rating. With regards to potential, it really doesn't. He has the capabilites to drag out a career which could go as far as Premiership football should he keep improving. I have at times questioned his kicking, and tendency to make silly errors from crosses, but look at his age, and you needn't worry in my honest opinion. A long term prospect certainly, but keep an eye on him this month. If he moves on, he could be a cracking signing for you.

Owain Fon Williams Round Up:

Current Rating: 77

Next Rating Changes: 77+*

Potential: Level 8

*I fully expect him to move on this January, or if County go down, I expect him to move on again. He will keep 77 because of this, but should he move, he could well move to 80 quick fast depending. I would say his next change is certainly up though.

Guest 1CapWonder

Is he good enough for Boro in your opinion Sooty?

...hate the thread but its such a good read :rolleyes:

Fon Williams? He'd get in ahead of Jones for me anyday. Don't know what's happened to Coyne though fella? He was impressive for me at Tranmere and should have kept his place with you lot. Boro is one of the places Fon Williams could and should move to. That would be good for all parties :o

Fon Williams? He'd get in ahead of Jones for me anyday. Don't know what's happened to Coyne though fella? He was impressive for me at Tranmere and should have kept his place with you lot. Boro is one of the places Fon Williams could and should move to. That would be good for all parties :o

Cant say ive ever heard of Williams, which is shameful I know. Coyne has started the last 2 games for Boro, which is great news, as he looks World Class compared to Jones. I dont know what Southgate or Strachan see in him to be honest, and you obviously agree. N e ways thanx on Willams, we all know how doubtful it is that Boro will go for him. Coyne is a good goalkeeper tho.

Guest 1CapWonder

Hi Elliot' date=' what do you think to Owain Fon Williams and [b']Jason Puncheon[/b]?

Thanks KangarooJack09.

Jason Puncheon

0,,10420~4567204,00.jpg

To the rest of you, I'll do the players in order, so Spence next and then onto Matthews. Both fabulous prospects, but more on them later :)

Jason Puncheon. Wow, what can I say about him at the moment. A very intriguing character and with rumours circulating at the moment, it could get even more interesting. He has a current rating of 78, and he is MK Dons through and through. Wimbledon were his club, and now his progress has continued with The Dons. Back there now after a spell away, he is looking back to his best (I.E - His Barnet days) and strong rumours are circulating bizarrely, that Shhhhteve McLaren wants to take him over to Holland and FC Twente!!! :eek:

That would be a big step up for Puncheon, who, following his release from The Dons in Jan 2006, was playing for clubs like Fisher Athletic, and Lewes. However, Barnet took a chance on him at the start of the next season, and suddenly, he was performing to the capabilities only those who knew him best could claim to have previously seen. At Barnet, he was awesome. Class. I can vouch for this, after seeing him tear my own side, Rochdale, apart on many an occasion in his 2 years at the club.

However, the first time he tried to make the step up (Moving to Plymouth in 2008), things didn't quite pay off for him, and I would be skeptical of a move to Holland. I don't believe he has the capabilities to play at that level. Technically, Puncheon is good, and although he clearly has a yard of pace, I'm not sure he uses it to the best of abilities. He doesn't beat men like he used to, even now, back at The Dons. He's still only 23, but I don't see improvement. I don't see the form I saw at Barnet. I see a very good League 1 player. For me, that's as far as it goes. This is Jason's level, and I wouldn't take a chance on him even if a move to Twente does materialise.

Paul Ince will get the best out of him at Stadium MK: and his 78 rating is safe. I think the 80 barrier will always be his limit. For me, he is not a Championship player. You'd have to get back to me after I'd seen him in Holland, but if he doesn't move this month, which I don't expect him to, seen as his loan at MK Dons doesn't end until May, he will not rise, nor drop. He's a good footballer, but League 1 is his level, and MK Dons is his club. I think he may well sign permanently there for next season, and that will be it for Jason. 78.

Jason Puncheon Round Up:

Current Rating: 78

Next Rating Changes: 78

Potential: Level 5

Elliott' date=' I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on Cardiff City's Adam Matthews, who's been linked with Arsenal. :)[/quote']

Manchester United have reached a verbal agreement to sign Matthews for 4 million, which should be completed by the end of the month

Guest Daragh

Hi mate

Great thread. I have a few players I'd like your opinions on. I'm not worried about ratings or SM, I'd just like to get your opinions on them as I enjoy reading your views on things. What do you think of Jon Otsemobor? Personally, I think he was quite unlucky. IMO he should have stayed with us for a little longer. He made two appearances for us a few years ago and really impressed me but unfortunately Houllier sold him soon after which I thought was quite strange. I watched him quite a few times for Norwich and he continues to impress me. I always felt that he could have played at a higher level. IMO if he stayed with us, he could have developed into a decent EPL full back.

Btw, if I ever post here, please respond to mine last as like I said, ratings etc aren't why I'm posting, I'd just like to read your opinions on a few players.

Guest 1CapWonder

I dnt kno if he has completed his loan agreement but can u tell me anything about jordan spence and hes chances of playing at west ham?

I'll make this report quite short, as your wondering simply about his chances of playing for West Ham. At this current moment in time, Spence is back at West Ham. I think his chances of playing depend on what happens this month. Spence is an excellent player in my opinion, and will become a bit of a class act in the future, certainly Premier League material. That chance may come quite soon even. If January passes, and Spence hasn't been loaned out, then he could well feature in and around West Ham squads this season, and I feel Zola would be happy to do that, considering his credentials so far, and his competence for both Orient and Shorpe on loan last season and this. All it takes is an injury or 2, and West Ham will be short of cover at the back, and Jordan may get a chance. That said, Daprela has come into favour and Spector could well fill in at CB if needed.

So all in all, I don't think he will get too many opportunities this term. His next loan move is likely to be lower Championship - higher League 1 quality, which will do no harm to his current rating. In fact, I'd bank on a rise. However, unlike the database says, he is back at West Ham, and with the new 7 sub rule, he is likely to get on their bench if he stays, and with 2 or 3 injuries, he could well be given his first team break. He's only 19, and has time on his side. He has the potential to grow into a mature and future England centre half. I honestly believe that. He has real quality. Anyway, expect a loan move this month, if that doesn't happen, then expect to see him in and around the West Ham team of some sorts :)

Hope this helps, if you, or anyone else wants a full report on Spence, then just give me the word and I'll go into more depth and reveal his rating potential etc....

Cheers :o

I'll make this report quite short' date=' as your wondering simply about his chances of playing for West Ham. At this current moment in time, Spence is back at West Ham. I think his chances of playing depend on what happens this month. Spence is an excellent player in my opinion, and will become a bit of a class act in the future, certainly Premier League material. That chance may come quite soon even. If January passes, and Spence hasn't been loaned out, then he could well feature in and around West Ham squads this season, and I feel Zola would be happy to do that, considering his credentials so far, and his competence for both Orient and Shorpe on loan last season and this. All it takes is an injury or 2, and West Ham will be short of cover at the back, and Jordan may get a chance. That said, Daprela has come into favour and Spector could well fill in at CB if needed.

So all in all, I don't think he will get too many opportunities this term. His next loan move is likely to be lower Championship - higher League 1 quality, which will do no harm to his current rating. In fact, I'd bank on a rise. However, unlike the database says, he is back at West Ham, and with the new 7 sub rule, he is likely to get on their bench if he stays, and with 2 or 3 injuries, he could well be given his first team break. He's only 19, and has time on his side. He has the potential to grow into a mature and future England centre half. I honestly believe that. He has real quality. Anyway, expect a loan move this month, if that doesn't happen, then expect to see him in and around the West Ham team of some sorts :)

Hope this helps, if you, or anyone else wants a full report on Spence, then just give me the word and I'll go into more depth and reveal his rating potential etc....

Cheers :o[/quote']

yeh i knew the kid was qualiity i just wanted to kno his chances this is gr8 cheers and yeh if u cud do a thread for him that wud be fantastic and wud help a lot of people repped

Guest 1CapWonder

Just wanted to know what you think of Exeter's Paul Jones. Obviously I know about him but would like a view from a non-biased person ;)

Happy to' date=' the young keeper? Seen him a couple of times last year. My views might not be as accurate as yours, but I'll let you know what I think:

Here's my "to-do list"

1) Report On [b']Adam Matthews[/b]

2) Quick Overview On Jon Otsembor

3) Report On Jordan Spence (Shouldn't take long)

4) Quick Overview On Paul Jones

5) Report On Steven Caulker (Forgot to do this earlier :o)

Happy to' date=' [b']the young keeper?[/b] Seen him a couple of times last year. My views might not be as accurate as yours, but I'll let you know what I think:

Here's my "to-do list"

1) Report On Adam Matthews

2) Quick Overview On Jon Otsembor

3) Report On Jordan Spence (Shouldn't take long)

4) Quick Overview On Paul Jones

5) Report On Steven Caulker (Forgot to do this earlier :o)

Yes :)

Exactly 5 years ago since he was in goal for the 0-0 at Old Trafford :P